#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Drilling for fear makes the job simple?
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    What is with every conservative saying gas is going to skyrocket?  I know Biden is stopping the pipeline but what else is going on that they think this will happen?

My understanding is that the pipeline was going to send oil to a port for export elsewhere besides the U.S.  If true that shouldn't affect prices here.

I still seems logical to me that oil prices will skyrocket eventually anyway because it is getting harder to extract.  Why else are desperate measure like squeezing oil out of tar sand and fracking being used?  And the net gain in energy from these extraction methods is lower that it was when it simply meant putting in a well.  Peak oil is still a real thing.  And besides, if we don't find alternatives, we'll just keep raising the thermometer on the planet and putting ourselves (and other life) in further peril.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergs said:
    What is with every conservative saying gas is going to skyrocket?  I know Biden is stopping the pipeline but what else is going on that they think this will happen?
    Why would a pipeline that isn't complete and hasn't supplied any oil yet cause gas to go up right now? Canada has more oil than ever and the US will import more this year than last with all the current pipelines already in place. Keystone XL wasn't even needed. The regular Keystone pipeline is already supplying the US with a half million barrels a day and set to expand another 150,000+. The only reason gas prices would go up is fear mongering.

brianlux said:

My understanding is that the pipeline was going to send oil to a port for export elsewhere besides the U.S.  If true that shouldn't affect prices here.

I still seems logical to me that oil prices will skyrocket eventually anyway because it is getting harder to extract.  Why else are desperate measure like squeezing oil out of tar sand and fracking being used?  And the net gain in energy from these extraction methods is lower that it was when it simply meant putting in a well.  Peak oil is still a real thing.  And besides, if we don't find alternatives, we'll just keep raising the thermometer on the planet and putting ourselves (and other life) in further peril.
    The US and Canada being able to extract that oil made us for the first time in forever, not dependent on foreign oil and were a major reason for the falling prices of oil.  That I do know.

I also know we need to ween ourselves off that oil teet which I can see us doing in my lifetime.

With all that I still don't get why the right thinks it will go up?  Unless production gets halted I just don't see why there would be a rise in pricing?

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    tbergs said:
    Why would a pipeline that isn't complete and hasn't supplied any oil yet cause gas to go up right now? Canada has more oil than ever and the US will import more this year than last with all the current pipelines already in place. Keystone XL wasn't even needed. The regular Keystone pipeline is already supplying the US with a half million barrels a day and set to expand another 150,000+. The only reason gas prices would go up is fear mongering.

brianlux said:

The US and Canada being able to extract that oil made us for the first time in forever, not dependent on foreign oil and were a major reason for the falling prices of oil.  That I do know.

I also know we need to ween ourselves off that oil teet which I can see us doing in my lifetime.

With all that I still don't get why the right thinks it will go up?  Unless production gets halted I just don't see why there would be a rise in pricing?

because mbs and putin prefer the gop of today and will use opec to make thst hsppen....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    about to see a seasonal uptick anyway when they change over from winter blends to summer...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    tbergs said:

brianlux said:

because mbs and putin prefer the gop of today and will use opec to make thst hsppen....
    MBS is part of Opec already and Putin doesn't care what Opec does hence him not slowing down production during the first phases of Covid.  If anything Putin wanted our oil production to stop when it got so cheap that it wasn't worthwhile to extract.  I always saw it as a ploy to ruin the United States' oil stronghold.
    tbergs said:

brianlux said:

I'm guessing part of (maybe the main reason) is that the right wants desperately to see the Biden administration fail and they have gotten to work right off the bat doing what they can to decrease confidence in the new administration.  Well, to put it in Rogenesque terms, fuck the right!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

brianlux said:

I'm guessing part of (maybe the main reason) is that the right wants desperately to see the Biden administration fail and they have gotten to work right off the bat doing what they can to decrease confidence in the new administration.  Well, to put it in Rogenesque terms, fuck the right!  :lol:
    Yep I remember the same thing with Trump, Obama, Bush...  

Why you'd want a president to fail is beyond selfish.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Antony Blinken has been confirmed by the Senate for Secretary of State. He sure has a lot of work to do...firstly restaffing the State Department. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Kat said:
    Antony Blinken has been confirmed by the Senate for Secretary of State. He sure has a lot of work to do...firstly restaffing the State Department. 
    This is very true.
    First off many of the typically appointed positions were never filled.
    Second, when the last regime wanted to fill positions they couldn't get anyone willing to have that on their CV.
    Third, many career people took their retirement or early retirement and their positions wouldn't or couldn't be filled.

This is a big problem left behind in many facets of the federal govt.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Sen. Tom Carper introduces the Washington, D.C. Admission Act to make DC the 51st state. 

Curious if they will be able to make this happen. 2 Dem senators for DC would be huge. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    where will they smush the 51st star in the flag? that's the real issue here. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    PJNB said:
    Sen. Tom Carper introduces the Washington, D.C. Admission Act to make DC the 51st state. 

Curious if they will be able to make this happen. 2 Dem senators for DC would be huge. 
    That's why it won't happen. Never mind that DC has more people than some states...

I love that their license places say "Taxation Without Representation."

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • If you take away party politics like Dems wanting DC to be a state so they'll have two more senators, and the GOP being against it being a state for the same reason, and just look at it objectively, it should be a state. Either it should be a state, or they shouldn't pay federal taxes. One or the other. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PJNB said:

No no no.  Stop it.  When the pendulum swings again and dems lose control this will bite them in the ass.
    If you take away party politics like Dems wanting DC to be a state so they'll have two more senators, and the GOP being against it being a state for the same reason, and just look at it objectively, it should be a state. Either it should be a state, or they shouldn't pay federal taxes. One or the other. 
    It's a Federal District.  Let them pay damn taxes.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    PJNB said:

No no no.  Stop it.  When the pendulum swings again and dems lose control this will bite them in the ass.
    If you take away party politics like Dems wanting DC to be a state so they'll have two more senators, and the GOP being against it being a state for the same reason, and just look at it objectively, it should be a state. Either it should be a state, or they shouldn't pay federal taxes. One or the other. 
    Then give them votes in congress.  It's pretty simple. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited January 2021
    PJNB said:

But it goes back to the old taxation without representation thing, which his what started the American Revolution in the first place. So if it was a big deal for the colonists to not have representation in the British parliament, than shouldn't it be a big deal that DC doesn't have representation in the congress with the exception of one (non-voting) representative in the house?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Taking away politics, I never understood why it can't just be part of a state, not an entire state itself. Its half the size as Rhode Island by area, and would be the 3rd smallest state by population. Allowing it to be absorbed by 1 or more of the neighboring states makes sense to me. Is there a reason this has never happened?
  • mace1229 said:
    Taking away politics, I never understood why it can't just be part of a state, not an entire state itself. Its half the size as Rhode Island by area, and would be the 3rd smallest state by population. Allowing it to be absorbed by 1 or more of the neighboring states makes sense to me. Is there a reason this has never happened?
    That's a good thought. But I think it's in the constitution that the congress had to be in it's own federal district rather than a state...or something like that. But it's not like constitution hasn't been amended before. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mace1229 said:
    There would be a risk in having a governor of a state (and the legislature) having some level of control of federal seat of the gov't.  It could come in teh form of taxing, federal spending, militia, etc.  If you think about the time when DC was created (early 19th century), the republic was new and there was real risk to falling apart and/or a state like VA, PA or other large powerful states repressing the federal gov't, if it were in a state. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    That's a good thought. But I think it's in the constitution that the congress had to be in it's own federal district rather than a state...or something like that. But it's not like constitution hasn't been amended before. 
    If that's the case, it would have to be amended to make it a state anyway I would think. And it doesn't need to be as big, its nearly 70 square miles. Make it like the Vatican City and encompass just a few blocks that hold the Capitol and White House and whatever other necessary buildings to operate the federal government and let the rest of DC be a city within a state. 70 square miles seems a little excessive if the purpose was just to house congress. If the argument is really just that they deserve representation,  seems like the most logical solution is to absorb the non-federal areas into states. But as you pointed out, its more about politics and gaining senators than anything else.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I never really understood the DC is a State argument.  I mean it was specifically written into the constitution to not have the area be a state.  Seemed like a smart move in reality.

That said, I really don't care.  If there are no risks to it being a state and the people want it, ok.  But the fact that both political parties don't discuss the issues and instead it's all about #'s in the senate is awful.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    It is so fucking nice to hear a President speak about the people instead of himself.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I never really understood the DC is a State argument.  I mean it was specifically written into the constitution to not have the area be a state.  Seemed like a smart move in reality.

That said, I really don't care.  If there are no risks to it being a state and the people want it, ok.  But the fact that both political parties don't discuss the issues and instead it's all about #'s in the senate is awful.
    Right but in 1776 the area wasn't home to 700,000 people

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJNB said:

But it goes back to the old taxation without representation thing, which his what started the American Revolution in the first place. So if it was a big deal for the colonists to not have representation in the British parliament, than shouldn't it be a big deal that DC doesn't have representation in the congress with the exception of one (non-voting) representative in the house?
    Nobody has to live there...

Stupid argument I know but it has grown over necessity.  Leave it as is.
  • Anybody catch the Biden speech?

He really doesn't answer any questions huh?

Yes, this is exactly the point. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, this is exactly the point. 
    Doesn’t change their reasoning 
    hippiemom = goodness