Options

#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,494
    static111 said:
    Ok I’ll go.  Biden just destroyed thousands of Union jobs in oil and gas and the sky is falling. Also according to memes circulating he told pipe liners to go find other jobs. Did I mention...The Sky Is Falling
    I do find it ironic that conservatives are making an uproar over lost union jobs, because normally you hear about them trying to hinder unions. See right to work initiatives in red states. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,700

As Biden vows monumental action on climate change, a fight with the fossil fuel industry has only begun

‘This is not the time for small measures,’ the president said Wednesday, as he unveiled sweeping executive actions to cut emissions to fight global warming.

Jan. 27, 2021 at 9:04 p.m. EST

Joe Biden had long promised to become the climate president, and on Wednesday he detailed far-ranging plans to shift the U.S. away from fossil fuels, create millions of jobs in renewable energy, and conserve vast swaths of public lands and water.

“This is not a time for small measures,” Biden said at the White House, adding that the nation had already wasted precious years as it delayed in dealing with the climate crisis.

But as he detailed his plans, the gas, oil and coal industries were already mobilizing on all fronts. From an oil patch in Alaska to state capitals to the halls of Congress, the industries and their allies are aiming to slow Biden’s unprecedented push for climate action and keep profits from fossil fuels flowing. Republican attorneys general from six states wrote to the new president, warning him not to overstep his authority. GOP lawmakers attacked his executive orders as “job killers.” And the petroleum industry revived television ads promoting drilling on federal lands.

Industry executives expressed dismay at the scope, speed and direction in which Biden is heading, saying he is going much further than President Barack Obama ever did, while environmentalists said the danger that Earth faces is far more dire now than it appeared during Obama’s tenure and requires an extraordinary response. Last year essentially tied with 2016 as the hottest year ever recorded, and scientists say the planet is speeding toward irreversible damage.

In barely a week in office, Biden has moved to rejoin the Paris climate accord, halt the controversial Keystone XL pipeline, impose new limits on oil and gas production, and mandate climate change as a priority across every federal agency.

Biden calls climate change an ‘existential threat’
    President Biden on Jan. 27 signed three executive actions to combat climate change and said the U.S. had waited too long to deal with the “climate crisis.” (The Washington Post)

On Wednesday, he promised to use the government’s purchasing power to fund a federal clean-car fleet — and the jobs that would come with it. He pledged to help low-income and minority communities that have historically suffered the worst pollution. And he insisted the nation must set about preparing for the inevitable impacts of climate change, even as it tries to stave off the worst future outcomes. He also said the United States will lead the world in the global effort to cut greenhouse gases that are driving climate change.

Biden’s aggressive proposals won broad praise from environmental activists and many fellow Democrats while setting off an intense battle with the U.S. fossil fuel industry, which has underpinned the nation’s economy for more than a century.

“This is a radical departure from almost any other administration, and I would even say, President Obama,” said Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska), echoing the sentiments of several others in his party and in the fossil fuel industry.

“Our states have led the charge in successfully challenging unauthorized and unlawful executive actions, as you know from your years as vice president,” West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey and five other Republican attorneys general wrote in a letter to Biden. Morrisey sued to block the Obama administration’s rule curbing greenhouse gas emissions from power plants. “You can be assured that we will do so again, if necessary.”

American Clean Power Association CEO Heather Zichal, who served as one of Obama’s top climate advisers, said no one should be surprised by Biden’s approach, given the mounting scientific evidence of the Earth’s continued warming and advances in recent years that have helped make renewable energy cheaper.

“If we’re going to remove 51 billion tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually and get to zero [emissions] in 30 years, this is going to require drastic action,” she said, adding that her members are prepared to invest $1 trillion in the coming years on clean energy projects. “We see nothing but opportunity.”

Biden’s special envoy on climate, John F. Kerry, told reporters at the White House on Wednesday that the scientific reality gives the president little choice.

“It is now cheaper to deal with the crisis climate than it is to ignore it,” Kerry said, noting the massive sums taxpayers have spent recovering from increasingly devastating hurricanes in recent years. “We’re spending more money, folks. We’re just not doing it smart. We’re not doing it in a way that would actually sustain us for the long term.”

In a nation that remains heavily reliant on oil and gas but is shifting toward cleaner energy, the president and his deputies are aware they must take steps to blunt the short-term economic fallout on those impacted by the transition, or risk having them unravel. To that end, the White House is establishing an interagency working group headed by climate coordinator Gina McCarthy and National Economic Council Director Brian Deese that will help communities grappling with the shift away from coal and other fossil fuels.

“We’re going to make sure that nobody is left behind,” McCarthy told reporters Wednesday. “We need to put people to work in their own communities. That’s where their home is. That’s where the vision is. So we are creatively looking at those opportunities for investment so that we can get people understanding that we are not trying to take away jobs.”

Federal fossil fuel leasing generated nearly $8.1 billion in tax revenue in fiscal 2020, according to the Interior Department’s Office of Natural Resources Revenue, a sum shared among federal, state, local and tribal governments. The practice also accounts for nearly a quarter of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions.

“Over the years, right or wrong, state budgets and social service provisions have become insidiously entangled with fossil fuel energy profits,” said Chase Huntley, who directs the Wilderness Society’s energy and climate program.

On his first day as president, Biden rescinded the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline — a project that enjoys the support of some building trade unions — and on Wednesday, he announced an indefinite halt to new oil and gas leasing on federal lands and waters.

In an interview just after the November election, the American Petroleum Institute’s senior vice president of policy, economics and regulatory affairs, Frank Macchiarola, said his group was aware of Biden’s plan to impose a leasing moratorium. “But we also recognize that that was a campaign proposal, and campaigning is often different from governing,” he said at the time.

This week, Macchiarola said he was surprised that Biden would block a major pipeline in the midst of an economic downturn. “When you launch your campaign, and the unemployment rate is between 3.5 percent and 4 percent, and you take office and the unemployment rate is 6.7 percent, should your policies be the same when a project means thousands of jobs?”

Some oil crews have suspended work in reaction to news out of Washington.

Dave Cruz’s construction crew had already traveled 100 miles by snow trail to “the middle of nowhere” on the Alaskan tundra last week and were getting ready to prepare a five-acre well pad made of ice when they learned of the tighter restrictions under the Biden administration.

“I hate to tell you guys, we’ve got to let you go,” Cruz said he told his nearly 50-person crew on the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska, the nation’s largest swath of public land.The Interior Department is poised to issue the permit soon, which would allow the crew to return.

The fossil fuel industry also has encouraged tribal, state, local and labor leaders to weigh in. Biden’s aides clarified this week that any restrictions on new leasing or permitting does not apply to Indian Country, since federal officials would first have to engage in formal consultations with those sovereign nations.

“A delay in energy permitting in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic would have been devastating to our economy and the health and safety of our tribal members,” said Ute Indian Tribe Business Committee Chairman Luke Duncan, whose tribe has a drilling operation in Utah.

Biden has taken office at an inflection point in U.S. energy policy, where fossil fuels dominate transportation and electricity generation, even as they are starting to lose ground to both market forces and shifting public opinion.

David Slater, chairman of the board of the Interstate Natural Gas Association of America, told reporters Tuesday that natural gas accounted for the largest source of U.S. electricity in 2019, at 38 percent, and the Energy Information Administration projects America’s overall natural gas consumption will “grow slightly” by 2050.

At the same time, the oil and gas industry has suffered a series of recent economic setbacks. Tom Sanzillo, director of finance at the Institute for Energy Economics, noted these companies accounted for 28 percent of the U.S. stock market in 1980, but just 2.3 percent of it as of this month.

“The oil industry doesn’t have a plan for its future. They want to drill wherever they want, whenever they want,” Sanzillo said. “What Biden is doing is saying, ‘We need to reduce the supply, because the industry is not doing it.’ ”

The Trump administration offered more than 103 million acres of oil and gas leases, according to Interior, of which just 10.6 million acres sold. The industry has a considerable stockpile of leases: 53 percent of those onshore are unused or not producing, along with 77 percent of those offshore. And in December alone, the Bureau of Land Management signed off on 847 drilling permits, a rate roughly double what it had approved each month between June and November.

Rystad Energy’s head of shale research, Artem Abramov, said that the pause in new federal leasing would have “little impact” on oil and gas production in federal land, including in New Mexico’s gas-rich Permian Basin.

Taylor McKinnon, senior public lands campaigner at the Center for Biological Diversity, noted that federal leases sold since 2017 would release 1.9 billion tons of greenhouse gases alone. All of the oil, gas, coal, oil shale and tar sands the U.S. government has leased holds more than 20 times that warming potential, he added.

Whatever legislative, lobbying and legal battles lie ahead, those who have long hoped for strong climate action from the federal government cheered Biden’s actions Wednesday, saying he is pursuing the right path for the country — and for the planet.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) has delivered a “Time to Wake Up” speech about climate change nearly every week the Senate has been in session for the past nine years, frustrated that the U.S. government wasn’t acting more purposefully. On Wednesday, he delivered his 279th speech. It would be his last, he said, because President Biden was forcing the country to finally act.

“So instead of urging that it’s time to wake up,” he said, “I close this long run by saying now it’s time to get to work.”

Headshot of Juliet Eilperin
    Juliet Eilperin is a Pulitzer Prize-winning senior national affairs correspondent for The Washington Post, covering environmental and energy policy. She has written two books, "Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks" and "Fight Club Politics: How Partisanship is Poisoning the House of Representatives." Follow
    Headshot of Brady Dennis
    Brady Dennis is a Pulitzer Prize-winning national reporter for The Washington Post, focusing on the environment and public health. He previously spent years covering the nation’s economy. Follow

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Does anyone find it disturbing that work can be in progress...spent $ towards an end goal...and then a stroke of the pen by 1 person stops it instantly and does truly eliminate $ coming in for those workers instantly?  

I know it can happen in other ways when businesses decide to close...but it seems that it rarely happens overnight.  When Biden signed that, are there any employee protections in place other than simply unemployment?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited January 2021
    static111 said:
    Ok I’ll go.  Biden just destroyed thousands of Union jobs in oil and gas and the sky is falling. Also according to memes circulating he told pipe liners to go find other jobs. Did I mention...The Sky Is Falling
    I do find it ironic that conservatives are making an uproar over lost union jobs, because normally you hear about them trying to hinder unions. See right to work initiatives in red states. 
    Ironic, and also completely in character. 

Hypocrisy is a virtue for the modern day GOP. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Does anyone find it disturbing that work can be in progress...spent $ towards an end goal...and then a stroke of the pen by 1 person stops it instantly and does truly eliminate $ coming in for those workers instantly?  

I know it can happen in other ways when businesses decide to close...but it seems that it rarely happens overnight.  When Biden signed that, are there any employee protections in place other than simply unemployment?
    They are union employees so as long as laborers are being requested (from the union) they would just show up at a different employer as requested.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

They are union employees so as long as laborers are being requested (from the union) they would just show up at a different employer as requested.
    Oh yeah I'm certain in a pandemic with massive unemployment that they have jobs to just go to ;)

I get what Joe is doing.  I do think many of the exec orders have been correct (though using them is fools gold...as trump found out),  But this is one I question.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

• Options

according to fuckstick the wall was completed..   

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    mickeyrat said:

i think he may be referring to keystone
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

was already held up because of nebraska.

further, record number of barrels per day are already being shipped via train and truck as well as existing pipeline thats getting upgrades....

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

further, record number of barrels per day are already being shipped via train and truck as well as existing pipeline thats getting upgrades....
    Yes, that's exactly it.  Last time I asked a conservative, they were not in support of gov't funded jobs simply because people needed a job.  If there is no oil shortage (hint, there's not), then why build pipelines?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yes, that's exactly it.  Last time I asked a conservative, they were not in support of gov't funded jobs simply because people needed a job.  If there is no oil shortage (hint, there's not), then why build pipelines?

So THATS why infrastructure week never happened.....

• Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Yes.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    81,283,000 Americans voted for President Biden. He’s got a mandate and political capital and he intends to spend it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Ummm...the government isn't building the pipeline are they?   So not sure I see the comparison.  It's the government halting private industry (which is could be a fine thing to do) but it's really weird that someone can invest $ and build and then get stopped right in the middle by the stroke of 1 guys pen.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Ummm...the government isn't building the pipeline are they?   So not sure I see the comparison.  It's the government halting private industry (which is could be a fine thing to do) but it's really weird that someone can invest $ and build and then get stopped right in the middle by the stroke of 1 guys pen.  
    i agree. same goes with all these environmental protections and regulations trump undid. shouldn't be allowed. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

This emphasis on the 'stroke of the pen' suggests they're doing it on a whim.

Is there not some actual logic behind the move, or did Biden just feel like signing something? 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Is there not some actual logic behind the move, or did Biden just feel like signing something? 
    there is (environmental), and I agree with it. it just seems so stupid that so many EO's of consequence end up being ping ponged by the next admin. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

My understanding was that gov't was assisting in the cost.  Considering this is a multi billion dollar project, I would have expected the price of TC to plummet.  It has only lost a few dollars since Biden was elected.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Alberta government pumped 1.5 billion into the project just a few months ago.  But that was just a stupid thing to do.  Alberta knew this pipeline was on shaky ground to begin with, so why they invested more into cash the pipeline is what I would like to know?  And Alberta has been struggling...so they wasted much needed money.

As much as I do not like the project being cancelled.  But if the project restarts it needs to go through the proper environmental regulations and proper consultations...and be approved through legislation...would you not think?

with that being said...Canadians do not have a right to demand the US build a pipeline to pump Canadian oil...especially when we do not build enough pipe line capacity to get our oil to tidewater...and we still import Saudi oil.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

there is (environmental), and I agree with it. it just seems so stupid that so many EO's of consequence end up being ping ponged by the next admin. 
    Yup. This. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I think I heard on NPR that the keystone could still keep going because once lawyers take it to court in hopes of an inevitable stall of the EO the work can still go on. Of course I may have misheard.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I think I heard on NPR that the keystone could still keep going because once lawyers take it to court in hopes of an inevitable stall of the EO the work can still go on. Of course I may have misheard.

wss already stalled in Nebraska courts.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:

So the keystone is still going and no jobs are going to be lost?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:

Why would we want to Keystone?
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/general-motors-plans-to-exclusively-offer-electric-vehicles-by-2035.html
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2021/01/22/keystone-pipeline-jobs-lost-joe-biden-executive-order-cancel-fact-check/6673822002/