Options

#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    Stimulus checks

I have no problem with them lowering the income level to $50,000-$100,000 as far as which individuals/families receive this money. Anyone who has been working all along since the pandemic started, and has not suffered financially because of this pandemic, really doesnt need the stimulus checks to begin with, right? My wife and I have not skipped a beat since the pandemic started. We realize we are blessed in that regard. Did her and I really need those 1st 2 stimulus checks? Of course not. 

Now lets hope our government uses some common sense in regards to sending these checks out. If someone made $52K in 2019 yet was laid off for the entire year of 2020, then by all means give this person some help! I dont want to hear that they are going to base these checks on your 2019 tax returns. That would be fucking ridiculous. That would be asinine. That would be fucking insane. 

Which probably means our government will base the stimulus checks on our 2019 tax returns. 
    I read it did screw some people for the checks...but I cannot find the article again so it was likely not very many people. 
    How our government handled this pandemic has been an outright tragedy. Mortgage relief? Eviction relief? Sending $1800 to someone, over the last year, who has lost their job, yet owns a house, is just a shame. And not giving millions of people any true mortgage relief is a shame. Yes, some mortgage lenders(CERTAINLY NOT ALL), gave people a 3-6 month grace period, and allowed people to throw mortgage payments on the back end of their loans, and that did help some folks at 1st. No doubt. But now its been an entire year, and where are those people sitting now? True mortgage and eviction relief was not addressed. And its been a year. $1800 to people in need, over the last year, is just ridiculous. Sending people who never suffered due to the pandemic the same $1800 last year, is just PURE STUPIDITY AND A WASTE.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
    Stimulus checks

I have no problem with them lowering the income level to $50,000-$100,000 as far as which individuals/families receive this money. Anyone who has been working all along since the pandemic started, and has not suffered financially because of this pandemic, really doesnt need the stimulus checks to begin with, right? My wife and I have not skipped a beat since the pandemic started. We realize we are blessed in that regard. Did her and I really need those 1st 2 stimulus checks? Of course not. 

Now lets hope our government uses some common sense in regards to sending these checks out. If someone made $52K in 2019 yet was laid off for the entire year of 2020, then by all means give this person some help! I dont want to hear that they are going to base these checks on your 2019 tax returns. That would be fucking ridiculous. That would be asinine. That would be fucking insane. 

Which probably means our government will base the stimulus checks on our 2019 tax returns. 
    I read it did screw some people for the checks...but I cannot find the article again so it was likely not very many people. 
    How our government handled this pandemic has been an outright tragedy. Mortgage relief? Eviction relief? Sending $1800 to someone, over the last year, who has lost their job, yet owns a house, is just a shame. And not giving millions of people any true mortgage relief is a shame. Yes, some mortgage lenders(CERTAINLY NOT ALL), gave people a 3-6 month grace period, and allowed people to throw mortgage payments on the back end of their loans, and that did help some folks at 1st. No doubt. But now its been an entire year, and where are those people sitting now? True mortgage and eviction relief was not addressed. And its been a year. $1800 to people in need, over the last year, is just ridiculous. Sending people who never suffered due to the pandemic the same $1800 last year, is just PURE STUPIDITY AND A WASTE.

You wouldn't believe the shit I've seen.  I have two different clients that collectively received around $600K in PPP funding that they did not need.  

Their businesses were basically unaffected in 2020.  And now the GOP is bitching that people making $75K/year might not need $2,000?  

It's fucking bullshit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Considering Trump was president the day he died, do you think he did anything close to visiting or offering condolences?

• Options
    Stimulus checks

You wouldn't believe the shit I've seen.  I have two different clients that collectively received around $600K in PPP funding that they did not need.  

Their businesses were basically unaffected in 2020.  And now the GOP is bitching that people making $75K/year might not need $2,000?  

It's fucking bullshit.
    Rampant fraud and misuse of this stimulus/bailout money over the last year? I dont think anyone would or should be surprised. I myself am not surprised one bit. But i have to agree with the GOP. People who have not been hurt financially, and have kept on working, and are making $75,000 a year, do not need any stimulus check. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Considering Trump was president the day he died, do you think he did anything close to visiting or offering condolences?

trump didn't order the White House flag to half mast until Sunday. 

Officer Sicknick died on Thursday. 

Blue Lives Matter (until they don't) 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Trump is utter scum.  Not only the worst president, but one of the worst humans in public life we've ever seen. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Stimulus checks

It's fucking bullshit.
    Rampant fraud and misuse of this stimulus/bailout money over the last year? I dont think anyone would or should be surprised. I myself am not surprised one bit. But i have to agree with the GOP. People who have not been hurt financially, and have kept on working, and are making $75,000 a year, do not need any stimulus check
    I agree....but is it logistically feasible to determine who does or does not still have full employent?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Stimulus checks

It's fucking bullshit.
    Rampant fraud and misuse of this stimulus/bailout money over the last year? I dont think anyone would or should be surprised. I myself am not surprised one bit. But i have to agree with the GOP. People who have not been hurt financially, and have kept on working, and are making $75,000 a year, do not need any stimulus check. 
    Gazillions of dollars given to business that as you said, did not need a fucking dime. 
    How about the way unemployment was handled? An extra $600 across the board to people who were unemployed due to the virus? Really? How many millions of people were making more money staying at home than they would have made going to work? 

I am all for helping the millions of people whose lives and been thrown into chaos due to this pandemic. But at what point does common sense set in? Because it hasnt set in yet, and its been a year. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Stimulus checks

It's fucking bullshit.
    Rampant fraud and misuse of this stimulus/bailout money over the last year? I dont think anyone would or should be surprised. I myself am not surprised one bit. But i have to agree with the GOP. People who have not been hurt financially, and have kept on working, and are making $75,000 a year, do not need any stimulus check
    I agree....but is it logistically feasible to determine who does or does not still have full employent?
    Well, what is to determine who is eligible? Common sense tells me we certainly cant go by 2019 tax returns. So now we wait until 2020 tax returns are filed? Which i guess would make sense, and we would be able to determine who lost jobs and who lost wages due to the pandemic. Which in turn, would set back the delivery of the next stimulus until July or August? Or do we just go along, again, with the 2019 tax returns and people who were employed in 2019, but lost their jobs in 2020, would not qualify? Which is just ridiculous and cant happen.

So now we wait until the 2020 tax returns are filed, Im guessing. 

• Options
    edited February 2021
    OnWis97 said:
    Stimulus checks

It's fucking bullshit.
    Well, what is to determine who is eligible? Common sense tells me we certainly cant go by 2019 tax returns. So now we wait until 2020 tax returns are filed? Which i guess would make sense, and we would be able to determine who lost jobs and who lost wages due to the pandemic. Which in turn, would set back the delivery of the next stimulus until July or August? Or do we just go along, again, with the 2019 tax returns and people who were employed in 2019, but lost their jobs in 2020, would not qualify? Which is just ridiculous and cant happen.

No, it's most certainly not waiting until 2020 taxes are filed.  Part of this bill includes continuing federal assistance on unemployment which is set to run out in March.  They will use 2019 numbers.  How someone who made more than 150k in 2019 and is unemployed in 2020 due to Covid is handled, I do not know.  But waiting until June is not the solution that will happen, guaranteed. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Stimulus checks

It's fucking bullshit.

No, it's most certainly not waiting until 2020 taxes are filed.  Part of this bill includes continuing federal assistance on unemployment which is set to run out in March.  They will use 2019 numbers.  How someone who made more than 150k in 2019 and is unemployed in 2020 due to Covid is handled, I do not know.  But waiting until June is not the solution that will happen, guaranteed. 
    We can all sit back and see what happens here. But if people still dont have any help financially until June? I wouldnt be surprised one bit. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Stimulus checks

It's fucking bullshit.

We can all sit back and see what happens here. But if people still dont have any help financially until June? I wouldnt be surprised one bit. 
    Won't be because of the D caucus.  It would only be if Manchin defects and they can't get it through reconciliation.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    tbergs said:
    They can't send any checks until the middle of the year if you wait for 2020 earnings filings. I mean, people understand that, right? I think they send what they stated now and reassess another more targeted round mid-year.
    The irs already has all of your tax info.  I mean they do get sent the money whenever I get a check. if they can’t look at that to figure out who was hurt by this pandemic with all the data they already have  it seems like they are a pretty worthless organization
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Stimulus checks

How would the govt know who lost a job in 2020, but were over the income threshold in 19? Unemployment is state run.  This might be challenging. 
    Every paycheck or unemployment check I received in 2020 had federal taxes deducted.  How do they not already have this info?
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    They can't send any checks until the middle of the year if you wait for 2020 earnings filings. I mean, people understand that, right? I think they send what they stated now and reassess another more targeted round mid-year.
    The irs already has all of your tax info.  I mean they do get sent the money whenever I get a check. if they can’t look at that to figure out who was hurt by this pandemic with all the data they already have  it seems like they are a pretty worthless organization
    I don't know if that is true.  People get w2 from their employers. You also have millions of non w2 self employed workers who may not have paid taxes yet. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    I don't know if that is true.  People get w2 from their employers. You also have millions of non w2 self employed workers who may not have paid taxes yet. 
    Ah the self employed.   I didn’t think
    of them since I’m just a wage laborer.  That would be difficult. This whole mess is bonkers.  I’m out anywhere from 20-40,000 from my 2019 earnings because of this shit. A huge amount for a family of three that has yet to break the combined yearly income of 6 figures.  That’s counting the few weeks with $600 extra unemployment benefits.  Luckily I got some part time work followed by a good employment offer before my benefits expired or we would have been completely fucked. So I am all for those incredibly wealthy one hundred and fifty thousandaires getting something if it means that we can get a pittance to help make up what was lost last year.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    of them since I’m just a wage laborer.  That would be difficult. This whole mess is bonkers.  I’m out anywhere from 20-40,000 from my 2019 earnings because of this shit. A huge amount for a family of three that has yet to break the combined yearly income of 6 figures.  That’s counting the few weeks with $600 extra unemployment benefits.  Luckily I got some part time work followed by a good employment offer before my benefits expired or we would have been completely fucked. So I am all for those incredibly wealthy one hundred and fifty thousandaires getting something if it means that we can get a pittance to help make up what was lost last year.
    There's no easy way to do this without the 2020 tax numbers in place, so you have to do with what is available I suppose.  Like I said earlier, the solution cannot be to hold back on the checks, they need to go now. Maybe some sort of appear process for the small percentage left behind who are deserving. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Trump is utter scum.  Not only the worst president, but one of the worst humans in public life we've ever seen. 
    And the people who voted from him. If family or friend will not condemn trump, I have nothing to say to them.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    There's no easy way to do this without the 2020 tax numbers in place, so you have to do with what is available I suppose.  Like I said earlier, the solution cannot be to hold back on the checks, they need to go now. Maybe some sort of appear process for the small percentage left behind who are deserving. 

Pay the stimulus. Have the phaseout on the 2020 return. If income is high, that’s where they can claw it back.
  • Options

Stimulus checks

“ President-elect Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion stimulus, unveiled Thursday as the American Rescue Plan, includes a call for extending the national moratorium on evictions and foreclosures until Sept. 30, while also setting aside funds to provide legal assistance to households facing foreclosure or eviction.

Biden is also calling for an additional $30 billion in funding for emergency rental, energy and water assistance for hard-hit households, plus $5 billion in emergency assistance to people experiencing or at risk of homelessness.”

Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better if that a hole got 45,000 more votes.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Stimulus checks

How would the govt know who lost a job in 2020, but were over the income threshold in 19? Unemployment is state run.  This might be challenging. 
    Every paycheck or unemployment check I received in 2020 had federal taxes deducted.  How do they not already have this info?
    Self employed or those who’s primary income are tips among other groups would be screwed if they just relied on paystubs for information.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    Was listening to Morning Joe on MSNBC on the radio this morning.  He and a guest discussing how terrible an idea it is to blankly give checks to people.  Not targeted, might cause inflation later.... Smart people.  ;)

Nice to have a liberal leaning (albeit conservative leaning host) news station talking an issue and not just agreeing with liberals.  Refreshing.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Was listening to Morning Joe on MSNBC on the radio this morning.  He and a guest discussing how terrible an idea it is to blankly give checks to people.  Not targeted, might cause inflation later.... Smart people.  ;)

Nice to have a liberal leaning (albeit conservative leaning host) news station talking an issue and not just agreeing with liberals.  Refreshing.
    I do like contrarion opinions,  but I think worrying about inflation right now is far fetched. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    mrussel1 said:

I do like contrarion opinions,  but I think worrying about inflation right now is far fetched. 
    Was just 1 of many reasons.  I typed it and almost deleted it because I knew this post was coming.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Was just 1 of many reasons.  I typed it and almost deleted it because I knew this post was coming.
    ahaha. See I'm a contrarian.  I was against the 1400 to start but I read some analysis from economists and they are just about universal that having a broader stimulus will bring us back to full employment many months before a more narrow one.  While I have mixed feelings on the $15 min wage, I don't think it should go through reconciliation.  I understand why Biden is doing it, and if the senate were less obstructive I wouldn't worry too much about it right now.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2021
    As far as evictions and utilities go, are the rental property owners going to get any extra $?  If not, they should if they are having to keep non-paying renters housed, right? 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,804

just shows how fucking stupid they think their viewers are.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    edited February 2021
    mickeyrat said:

"just shows how fucking stupid they think their viewers are....."

Fixed it for ya
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,804
    mickeyrat said:

"just shows how fucking stupid they think their viewers are....."

Fixed it for ya

you say potayto......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14