PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    The Phils put a qualifying offer on JT right?
    I have not seen that. Seems like it's between Toronto and the Phils 
    I would think/hope they would have done that the minute he became a free agent. Yeah, they definitely had to have done that.

If it's between Toronto and Phils I gotta think we sign him. I was starting to think maybe he signs the QT and takes his chances next year in a better market is why I was bringing it up.
    It's weird.  What's a bad deal for him? 4 years $80 million?  Tough to turn down $80 million and bet on yourself, especially being a year older and a catcher. Brutal decision as far as deciding whether to take $80 million plus goes...
    Right. And if that's the case how do the Phils fuck this up? I was thinking in a regular market he'd be 5 years 100-120. So I guess he'll still get some significant coin. He's one of the only pieces they have to sell to other players. 

It just sucks, it was such a stupid trade at the time. You have no choice but to re-sign him, but they're gonna fuck that up, too.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    is there a universal philly feeling that one championship (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) would make you more euphoric than the others? what’s the pecking order? for my discordant teams, it’s always been:

MLB
    NFL
    NBA
    NHL
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    is there a universal philly feeling that one championship (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) would make you more euphoric than the others? what’s the pecking order? for my discordant teams, it’s always been:

MLB
    NFL
    NBA
    NHL
    I mean everyone says it's the Eagles but I don't - and didn't buy that. 2017/2018 was great and all, but the answer is - whatever one comes first and especially after 25 years, and it can't be hockey. That's why the Phillies one felt so much more surreal and awesome than the Eagles. It was great and all, don't get me wrong, but for many reasons the Phillies parade outdid the Eagles one. But I get it, football is more popular so it probably affected more people overall. Again, I'm not so sure.

Now, when it comes to the actual game it's the Eagles Super Bowl. That is a top 10 game in history that was fucking ridiculous. Actually, maybe it's just slightly outside of the top 10 (I did this dumb exercise not long ago re: Super Bowls and I think I had it #7 or 8-ish).

But for me I'm all about any Philadelphia sports festivities, and in this order. Baseball will always be #1 to me, so glad the Phillies won first in my lifetime:
    1. Phillies
    1a. Eagles
    3. Sixers

4. Flyers
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Wobbie said:

MLB
    NFL
    NBA
    NHL
    I mean everyone says it's the Eagles but I don't - and didn't buy that. 2017/2018 was great and all, but the answer is - whatever one comes first and especially after 25 years, and it can't be hockey. That's why the Phillies one felt so much more surreal and awesome than the Eagles. It was great and all, don't get me wrong, but for many reasons the Phillies parade outdid the Eagles one. But I get it, football is more popular so it probably affected more people overall. Again, I'm not so sure.

Now, when it comes to the actual game it's the Eagles Super Bowl. That is a top 10 game in history that was fucking ridiculous. Actually, maybe it's just slightly outside of the top 10 (I did this dumb exercise not long ago re: Super Bowls and I think I had it #7 or 8-ish).

But for me I'm all about any Philadelphia sports festivities, and in this order. Baseball will always be #1 to me, so glad the Phillies won first in my lifetime:
    1. Phillies
    1a. Eagles
    3. Sixers

4. Flyers
    pretty good recap.  mostly agree.  phils was amazing because of the 25 year wait and that team was so likeable.  Eagles was a combination of their 1st, it was unexpected once Wentz got hurt and they beat the Patriots in a once in a lifetime game.  Only difference is I think for me the Flyers would be far greater than the Sixers as far as parades. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Sixers, Phillies, gross
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited January 2021
    Phils and Eagles are tied. I know that is a cop out but, hey....go fuck yourself. 
    Sixers
    Villanova (again, go fuck yourselves)

Flyers
    Union
    Wings

chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Not as much flyers love - huh, would have thought they ranked higher.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Just never really cared about hockey in general. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Phils and Eagles are tied. I know that is a cop out but, hey....go fuck yourself. 
    Sixers

Flyers
    Union
    Wings

the fuck are union and wings? minor league soccer?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Sixers

Flyers
    Union
    Wings

the fuck are union and wings? minor league soccer?
    Union is soccer MSL - had best record in regular season this year then choked in playoffs.  Actually pretty cool stadium they have and a fun tailgate spot.  And I hate soccer.

Wings is Lacrosse.  They were pretty big in the 90s here.  They went away and came back a few years ago.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I get it.  I cared about basketball when I was a kid but haven't much cared in 20 years or so.  I thinking living amongst Lakers and Kobe fans soured me.  
    I get it.  I cared about basketball when I was a kid but haven't much cared in 20 years or so.  I thinking living amongst Lakers and Kobe fans soured me.  
    Remember when Kobe died and everyone acted like the world was ending...then the actual world was ending via a global pandemic and no one gave a shit?  Good times
    Remember when Kobe died and everyone acted like the world was ending...then the actual world was ending via a global pandemic and no one gave a shit?  Good times
    this is so wrong but i laughed

Yeah....I almost was beaten down many times debating Kobe and the public idiocy during the whole Kobe Raper time.  

Laker Flags.

Not sure if people who didnt live in SoCal at that time can understand.  Perhaps there is a comparison of a bandwagon fuckdom an entire city got on, but saw nothing like it before and not anything close since.  How many times I sat on the freeway in LA and thought it might be best for a nuke to take us all down, looking out at the sea of vehicles with Lakers flags sticking up from them.  Gag.

Every other car....like this:

When the Lakers went back to sucking?
    No Lakers flags.
    pjhawks said:
    this is so wrong but i laughed
    haha...I meeeeean, I am not actually wrong though.

Yeah....I almost was beaten down many times debating Kobe and the public idiocy during the whole Kobe Raper time.  

Laker Flags.

Not sure if people who didnt live in SoCal at that time can understand.  Perhaps there is a comparison of a bandwagon fuckdom an entire city got on, but saw nothing like it before and not anything close since.  How many times I sat on the freeway in LA and thought it might be best for a nuke to take us all down, looking out at the sea of vehicles with Lakers flags sticking up from them.  Gag.

Gross.  I can't imagine how bad it would have been around then.

Laker Flags.

Gross.  I can't imagine how bad it would have been around then.
    Sixers flags just like that were everywhere back in the few years they were good when Iverson was here. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I mean it's the Lakers, though....in Southern California. Makes sense to me.

Also, hockey is for the nerds. Ya ever meet a strictly hockey-Flyers-only-sport-fan. Fucking weird people. (says Pearl Jam nerd on an internet forum ::pushes nerd glasses::). Hockey's fine during the playoffs, and I love Philadelphia things. So, go Flyers, go Gritty.
    I’m just saying more from the Kobe/rape thingy 
    Big Gritty fan....not a huge fan of hockey though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Big Gritty fan....not a huge fan of hockey though. 
    Same.

I’m just saying more from the Kobe/rape thingy 
    Oh, well, yeah. Very big raper.
    It was EVERYWHERE.  Awful.
    People who did not know anything about basketball loved Big Shot Bob and wanted Kobe to stay in their hotel.

If I could go to every game of a team throughout a playoff level season, for free, and in style...Hockey wins going away. 
    I like Flyers fans - bought a season ticket package a few years ago for my wife and I to enjoy and the fans were great.  Very....Philly....but good hockey fans.
    We are weird but I would not have called hockey fans "nerds."
    Not that I care - I love sports but also music and books.  For sure happy to be a nerd or dork in many ways.
    There is a distinct look and feel to a Flyers-only fan. Like their own first or last name on a gargantuan oversized Flyers jersey. 
    When I worked there this dude would show up the moment doors opened and pace the concourse until the game.  Also, think he is/was a delivery guy for Slacks in Port Richmond.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/flyers/20110423_Broad_Street_Bully__An_undeniably_headstrong_passion.html
    YEs this guy.

And that fat guy turned dancing into a full time job. Good for him though. 
    :lol: 
    Gots to love it!

I am glad Wells Fargo is not in Center City - it was lethal to roll out of a Kings game and into one of the badass places right there. 
    XFinity is ok once in a while post-game, I guess, but just no comparison.  Better to get on the Broad Street Line.

5 years 9 figure offer to JT per Stark....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yup was just about post this:

https://theathletic.com/news/phillies-jt-realmuto/zmnArUFxickG

How does he not sign that?
    That will get it done