Memories,Meetings,Memorabilia and the story and pictures behind them.

Comments

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    edited January 2021
    Ive definitely been spoiled many times over with this band and I’ve mentioned this here before. It’s just stuff at the end of the day but the story still makes me smile:

‘06 Grand Rapids and my brother and I were front row and my brother was easily the youngest/shortest one. We were just loving the setlist and the show and having a great time...at some point early on between songs Ed wandered over and wanted to toss a pick to someone so I raised my arm then pointed to my brother and Ed did the rest. When the band walked off after the main set Ed looked over mid stride at us with a look on his face as if to ask what we wanted to hear and I said Big Wave...the look on his face said it all: apologetic but wasn’t going to happen (remember reading later on Ed was saving it for the ocean/beach shows). And then during the encores we were just outright losing our minds with the songs played (as was everyone). And then this happened:

https://youtu.be/qxYM-E1sy3k

Shaky beginning but starts at the 0:56 mark. Didn’t do anything to get Ed’s attention, he just turned and looked and gestured. And what was great about everyone around us is that no one reached out. So I caught it and without thinking just handed it to my brother. The next and final song of the night was YL and while Mike is soloing Ed is kneeling down in front of us and looks over to spot my brother holding the tambourine. I’m watching Mike and don’t notice Ed asking my brother if we’re at the show together to which my brother gives Ed a thumbs up. Ed stands up and motions for another tambourine and walks to the edge of the stage and without hesitating my brother quickly hands the tambourine back to me before Ed tosses my brother his very own. At this point I clue in to what’s going on when Ed strides back then turns around quickly and asks my brother to toss the tambourine back up. Ed then uses it to wipe the sweat off his entire face and tosses it once again to my brother. Everything lined up at the show for those memories to happen but then the following year at the Toronto Film Festival premiere of the Thomas Young documentary we arrived early for Ed’s soundcheck and I had a gut feeling about each of us bringing along the tambourines:

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    These are awesome stories!   I hope all the big fans get their moment one day.   
  • mrezoocmrezooc Posts: 119

said:
    In 2013 in London, Ont the band was here prepping for their Lightning bolt tour. The Bud-gardens had allowed the band to have the venue for 5 days to practise. On the Saturday July 13 now known as Eddie Vedder day with my friends, we waited outside the venue with some friends and the kids hoping the band would come out. Some of the band members left, so we didn’t think he was gonna come out. We were just getting ready to leave when his security came out and said Ed was gonna come out and to put cameras away. I’ve been a huge fan since day 1 and this was like a dream. He came out and chatted with all the kids. He gave them guitar picks and signed a picture for my daughter. I couldn’t hardly talked. My wife and her friends were in tears. My daughter 5 at the time made a card for the band. He had a 5 min conversation around his kids and baseball with her. He asked what her name was and she said Kalei. He said Ally what a beautiful name. He then read her card and told her he was sorry for getting her name wrong and said to her that Kalei was an even more beautiful name then Ally. He made his way down the line and freeze high fives my nephew telling him a story about how he did that with his kid. He talked to my friend and asked the named of his daughter. He told her Ella. He said he loved that name and that he wanted to name his daughter that, but didn’t want her to get made fun of (Ella Vedder / Elevator -Haha). He got to my wife who had our youngest child. He gave her a guitar pick and she threw it back at him. He picked it up and pulled another one out and held her hands and made a comment that she was already practising to be on stage. He gave her 2 picks one for each hand. A Pretty amazing experience. We were lucky to have experienced it, as so many people don’t get an opportunity to. Made us love him and the band that much more. Definitely a once in a life time experience. Check out the picture above. This is the picture he signed. We handed out the EV picks from his 2012 tour. 
    amazing thank u for sharing. what's the pick between the orange ED and the black sparky pick?
    It’s a McCready pick. I believe it has an E on the Back. There 4 in total that spell Mike. I believe they  Earth, wind, fire, water. 
    Loujoe said:
    Wow. great story and so cool you appreciate how special that moment is to share with friends and family.

Those picks are hard to get too!
    (If you wanna share about that Jeff sig too anytime...I'll listen!)
    Got the Jeff signature the night after. No real story with it. He came out signed a few things and left. Wasn’t very talkative. Definitely not as good as the Eddie one. 
    100 Pacer said:
    Ive definitely been spoiled many times over with this band and I’ve mentioned this here before. It’s just stuff at the end of the day but the story still makes me smile:

‘06 Grand Rapids and my brother and I were front row and my brother was easily the youngest/shortest one. We were just loving the setlist and the show and having a great time...at some point early on between songs Ed wandered over and wanted to toss a pick to someone so I raised my arm then pointed to my brother and Ed did the rest. When the band walked off after the main set Ed looked over mid stride at us with a look on his face as if to ask what we wanted to hear and I said Big Wave...the look on his face said it all: apologetic but wasn’t going to happen (remember reading later on Ed was saving it for the ocean/beach shows). And then during the encores we were just outright losing our minds with the songs played (as was everyone). And then this happened:

https://youtu.be/qxYM-E1sy3k

Shaky beginning but starts at the 0:56 mark. Didn’t do anything to get Ed’s attention, he just turned and looked and gestured. And what was great about everyone around us is that no one reached out. So I caught it and without thinking just handed it to my brother. The next and final song of the night was YL and while Mike is soloing Ed is kneeling down in front of us and looks over to spot my brother holding the tambourine. I’m watching Mike and don’t notice Ed asking my brother if we’re at the show together to which my brother gives Ed a thumbs up. Ed stands up and motions for another tambourine and walks to the edge of the stage and without hesitating my brother quickly hands the tambourine back to me before Ed tosses my brother his very own. At this point I clue in to what’s going on when Ed strides back then turns around quickly and asks my brother to toss the tambourine back up. Ed then uses it to wipe the sweat off his entire face and tosses it once again to my brother. Everything lined up at the show for those memories to happen but then the following year at the Toronto Film Festival premiere of the Thomas Young documentary we arrived early for Ed’s soundcheck and I had a gut feeling about each of us bringing along the tambourines:

That’s a sweet story. 
    Lots of amazing items and friendships that have stories but I will start with this one. Will keep it brief but did some stuff to help someone that knew someone that knew someone :) and got this as a token of appreciation.  

Awesome!! 
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    mrezooc said:

said:
    In 2013 in London, Ont the band was here prepping for their Lightning bolt tour. The Bud-gardens had allowed the band to have the venue for 5 days to practise. On the Saturday July 13 now known as Eddie Vedder day with my friends, we waited outside the venue with some friends and the kids hoping the band would come out. Some of the band members left, so we didn’t think he was gonna come out. We were just getting ready to leave when his security came out and said Ed was gonna come out and to put cameras away. I’ve been a huge fan since day 1 and this was like a dream. He came out and chatted with all the kids. He gave them guitar picks and signed a picture for my daughter. I couldn’t hardly talked. My wife and her friends were in tears. My daughter 5 at the time made a card for the band. He had a 5 min conversation around his kids and baseball with her. He asked what her name was and she said Kalei. He said Ally what a beautiful name. He then read her card and told her he was sorry for getting her name wrong and said to her that Kalei was an even more beautiful name then Ally. He made his way down the line and freeze high fives my nephew telling him a story about how he did that with his kid. He talked to my friend and asked the named of his daughter. He told her Ella. He said he loved that name and that he wanted to name his daughter that, but didn’t want her to get made fun of (Ella Vedder / Elevator -Haha). He got to my wife who had our youngest child. He gave her a guitar pick and she threw it back at him. He picked it up and pulled another one out and held her hands and made a comment that she was already practising to be on stage. He gave her 2 picks one for each hand. A Pretty amazing experience. We were lucky to have experienced it, as so many people don’t get an opportunity to. Made us love him and the band that much more. Definitely a once in a life time experience. Check out the picture above. This is the picture he signed. We handed out the EV picks from his 2012 tour. 
    amazing thank u for sharing. what's the pick between the orange ED and the black sparky pick?
    It’s a McCready pick. I believe it has an E on the Back. There 4 in total that spell Mike. I believe they  Earth, wind, fire, water. 
    ah i see it now, thank you. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,698
    edited May 2021
    This is exactly  what i hoped to see in this thread keep them coming 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,597
    edited January 2021
    Your turn lastexit. Spill the beans if you have more to tell...
  • go prego pre Posts: 642
    edited January 2021
    Eddie gave me his wine bottle at the end of the Charlotte 2013 show. This was after he tried tossing me a pick and stood on the rail directly above me during Porch. Crazy awesome experience.

That’s me in the yellow shirt.

This is the wine bottle. Just before Getaway, Eddie was talking about the new record being #1 for the second week in a row, and they didn’t have to show their tits to do it. While talking about the record being #1, Eddie was picking at the label, thus the small tear above the T and C.

There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Loujoe said:
    Your turn lastexit. Spill the beans if you have more to tell...
    Ha I have a few and I buzz thinking  of them its hard to tell stories without  someone thinking you brag and thats not the aim. I just love all these stories and honestly  I cry  reading them as I know buzz you all got
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    No room for the hate. Life's too short. I understand but it's really just people and cool stuff.
    Bump to shake some more stories loose. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Is just a story ok? I don't have much memorabilia from the most memorable things, but a few stories I do have...
    Yeah! Stories please
    Everything 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited March 2021
    My 1st time meeting a member of the band was kinda unusual... 

So even though I'm not sure of the exact date, this was Bay Area/San Francisco, sometime between April-May, 1993. Up until '92, I'd seen and heard the singles from Ten and seen mostly the Alive video, and please don't judge me but I wasn't that impacted by it. And I had a pet peeve at the time of "musicians playing their hair live like it's an instrument", so any video with a lot of hair swinging, I just didn't really pay attention. Sorry, we all have our quirks!

But then the Spin magazine with Ed on the cover standing near a fence, I read that interview. And I was incredibly impressed with the balance PJ was trying to strike of being true to music and values and fans but not becoming "rockstars".  So at least I found the people very interesting, was still undecided about the music.

So then it's April/May 1993 and my boyfriend, my sister and some friends go to see Fugazi in San Franciso.  My little sister is already a MEGA PJ fan, so we're watching the show from near the back when she realizes Stone is standing at the sound board and she is totally kerfuffled because he's her favorite band member. Her story is hers to tell but she talks to him, I think for what would become the 1st of many times, and he's super cool and she's over the moon.  During that convo he mentions to her that Eddie is there.  When she comes back ot us she shares this info.

I scan the crowd for the rest of the show keeping an eye out for him but I don't see him. Once the show is over, my boyfriend (who obviously knows me well and knows I have a lot of friends in other bands & was fine with it, but didn't like the waiting part if there was someone I wanted to talk to) is immediately suspicious and asks "Why aren't we leaving? Let's go!" Me, intently scanning crowd, "Just a minute, one more minute...." and then I see him, standing with just one other woman talking, near the stage on the side in the GA where apparently he'd been moshing the whole show. NO ONE else is around him.  Also by then, I'd read a few more interviews and knew that the "OMG IT'S PJ!" or "OMG IT'S EDDIE VEDDER!!!" was just a hard no, but that wouldn't have been my approach anyway, but I was extra careful not to be intrusive if possible.

So I walk up quietly, don't say anything and after a moment they both realize someone is standing there and they wrap up their conversation and he turns, and I go straight into the Spin interview and ask if it's ok to ask him a few questions about the album they're recording, because they'd recently wrapped recording Vs.  He says sure.  This detail is important: he has his back to the stage, facing the more and more empty room, and I've got my back to the room, facing him and the stage.

So I start asking him questions, mainly I wonder how if they're trying not to be rockstars, what is it like recording at Keith Richards's studio, which I have to imagine has rockstar energy throughout? He gets DEEP into how he's approaching it, what it's been like, it was fascinating, of course I wish I remembered it all but I don't because somewhere along the way I was like "Oh, wow, I'm having a real conversation here, ok, focus, focus..."  We kept talking and it was going fine, and thank goodness my boyfriend didn't come over and drag me away LOL!  Then as we keep talking about a number of things, his face starts to change.  His eyes get bigger and bigger, he looks a bit more and more tense, and I get worried.  Uh oh, what did I do?  Am I scaring htis guy? He's starting to look scared!  But he continues to talk, asks me a couple of questions, tells me it's likely they'll play a secret show and tells me the name of the band that will probably be their fake name, and I finally say "Well this is been amazing, thank you so much for talking to me", and he's super gracious and says a kind goodbye.

And then I turn around to walk away.

And only then do I realize, that where there was NO ONE around when I went up to him and probably for the 1st part of talking to him, what he was realizing was that people were starting ot line up, in a very quiet but longer and longer and LONGER line, to talk to him.  No one was rushing or crowding or even talking, so I had no idea it was happening or I wouldn't have talked for so long. the line was REALLY LONG!  So I really felt for him and never forgot how kind he was to not end it even though - remember this is '92-'93 Ed, so reserved and so trying NOT to call attention to himself, yet there he was watching person after person get in line to talk to him. But I guess Fugazi fans are very chill and I can only assume it's because people were quiet and orderly and not pushy or yelling that he himself didn't run away! I think he actually said hello to each person from what I heard later. 

I had to go because my boyfriend was OVER it LOL!

The post-script is that I did find out about the show, it was what turned out to be the Slims May '93 show, but then eventually a local music reporter let the cat out of the bag and everyone knew. It got so crowded at Slims that there was a big chance it would be cancelled, but they did go through with it.  Was I there? No, because when I told my boyfriend I wanted us to go or at least I go if he didn't want to, he was all upset and we argued about it for so long I missed the show.  But some great lifelong PJ friendships did get made at that show, which I get to benefit from those I knew who were there, and it's ok, I got to see some great ones later.  So that's my story, no things to show for it although I may still have the Fugazi stub somewhere...

My 1st show was later that year, Oct in San Francisco, and I was front and center in the GA pit and needless to say I was more than a convert after that. Been a major fan ever since although I got out of the loop for some years (and lost my totally excellent TenClub # :( ).  Had some crazy experiences too, crazy wonderful, and am truly grateful.  And me and the boyfriend broke up in '95, not because of PJ, but because I moved back to the east coast. Still friends to this day, went to his wedding and love his wife, super cool woman. So no, PJ did not break us up :)
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    edited March 2021
    Nicely told. I felt like I was there! Thanks for sharing that moment of history. Better than a pile of picks or an autograph imo. (Although picks are hot!!)
    Thanks, I'm a failure at brevity but it was an interesting start to being the longtime fan I've been.

It is amazing, when you're lucky to do it/get it, to have a physical symbol of a really special interaction or event or experience. I totally get why the pics and autographs are so meaningful to so many. 

I love  these stories.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Buuuummmm p
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 449
    Please, more stories.  those "unexpected encounters" - so fun to read! 
    edited April 2021
    NEweather said:
    Well, since you namechecked "unexpected encounters" in particular...

A funny one was me on a road trip cross country in '97.  While I'm a big giant PJ fan by then, I didn't know personal stuff about the band, like where each member was from or lived.  So I'm driving through Montana and stop in Missoula, had never been to that part of US ever before.  I see in a local paper that amazing artist Richard Thompson is playing University of Missoula that day I got there, try to buy a ticket, students only.  But then students offer me a face value ticket, cool, I can go.  

At the show it was the intermission between the opener and Richard Thompson, and I was walking from the balcony level down stairs to the lobby when I see a familiar face and a little crowd around the familiar face.  As soon as I see the face I'm like "Wait, I know him... but how?  Who do I know in Montana? I don't know anyone in Montana!" As I walk closer to the little crowd I'm still like "Did we go to high school together?  College?" and I kind of walk up to the guy ready to say "Hey, I know I know you but where do we know each other from??" until at the very last moment as he looks at me and my mouth opens I go "OH.... OH! Ok, well, I was just about to ask you if we went to high school together but I think I know how I know you!"  Jeff smiled because we had met at a couple of PJ shows before that but he was so out of context for me I was just like "Ooooh, someone familiar! Let me go say hi!"  He was super cool, the little crowd around him was very nice, and everyone had a very nice little conversation.  And the rest of the show was great!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    Missoula rocks!!! Nicely told road trip story.
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 449
    JH6056 said:
    NEweather said:

A funny one was me on a road trip cross country in '97.  While I'm a big giant PJ fan by then, I didn't know personal stuff about the band, like where each member was from or lived.  So I'm driving through Montana and stop in Missoula, had never been to that part of US ever before.  I see in a local paper that amazing artist Richard Thompson is playing University of Missoula that day I got there, try to buy a ticket, students only.  But then students offer me a face value ticket, cool, I can go.  

At the show it was the intermission between the opener and Richard Thompson, and I was walking from the balcony level down stairs to the lobby when I see a familiar face and a little crowd around the familiar face.  As soon as I see the face I'm like "Wait, I know him... but how?  Who do I know in Montana? I don't know anyone in Montana!" As I walk closer to the little crowd I'm still like "Did we go to high school together?  College?" and I kind of walk up to the guy ready to say "Hey, I know I know you but where do we know each other from??" until at the very last moment as he looks at me and my mouth opens I go "OH.... OH! Ok, well, I was just about to ask you if we went to high school together but I think I know how I know you!"  Jeff smiled because we had met at a couple of PJ shows before that but he was so out of context for me I was just like "Ooooh, someone familiar! Let me go say hi!"  He was super cool, the little crowd around him was very nice, and everyone had a very nice little conversation.  And the rest of the show was great!
    ( " Oh... OH! ..." -Good one!  Wow! )
    I'll tell a quick one I'm sure I told before.
    Toronto film festival PJ20. Lucky my friend hooked me up with a ticket.
    Found seats about five rows back. Settled in and saw Chris Cornell sitting about ten rows behind us. 
    Only saw one person go talk to him. I decided I really wanted to chat. When will I ever have this chance. Didn't overthink it and went over to him. Said hi and talked about the first time in 89 I saw them play at 'city gardens' nj. (Only tour I saw them on, caught two shows) Talked about how he climbed the ceiling and kicked it in right over my head! He said he remembered that. We talked about the other band VoiVod they opened for.  I said bye and went to walk away and he kindly reached his hand out to shake mine...

How lucky I am to have seen those shows..something was up with the power of bands...energy of youth, even the garage bands I hung with had something...good stuff...
    Precovid I'd catch some killer new bands at a club by my house. So I guess the energy is still around, just a little more hidden from me.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    JH6056 said:
    NEweather said:

That's awesome, I recently asked the lady behind the deli counter, I know you, how do I know you??  I can't imagine saying that to a rock star.  Great story.
    edited April 2021
    Post edited by Loujoe on
    JH6056 said:
    NEweather said:

That's awesome, I recently asked the lady behind the deli counter, I know you, how do I know you??  I can't imagine saying that to a rock star.  Great story.
    I think Jeff found it pretty funny too, because I told him exactly what I was thinking. :)

That's actually happened to me with a couple of famous actors too.  

But one time I knew who I was looking at but almost TOTALLY embarrassed myself in front of, I was in a mask store in New Orleans and there was this BEAUTIFUL man (with his model-looking girlfriend) in the store, and I realized when I heard him speak that it was Gerard Butler (300, Olympus Has Fallen, other films). I thought I'd be funny and go up to him and ask him - as if I didn't realize it was really him - if people mistake him for him. BUT I'm also an idiot and because he's Australian, the name in my head was Russell Crowe, not Gerard Butler, so I was about to go up to him and say "Hey, do people tell you all the time that you look like Russell Crowe?"  Which, no, he doesn't, and also how rude and obnoxious does that sound!  I was totally going to go up to him and say it but his cell phone rang, and he left the store to take the call.  The moment he walked out, I think everyone in the store realized everyone else was waiting for the right moment to talk to him and now everyone was disappointed.

Thank goodness I didn't get to say it, cuz wow that would be awful!

When I paid for my mask and left the store, as I walked down the street I saw Gerard Butler in a doorway on his phone. He looked up, smiled and nodded his head at me, and I almost collapsed LOL! I just waved hi and walked really fast away.

I guess I just really like putting my foot in my mouth in front of famous people... :D