Memories,Meetings,Memorabilia and the story and pictures behind them.

13468911

Comments

  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 4,382
    Get_Right said:
    2005 Borgata
    I am pregaming at the Borgata tequila bar and need to use the restroom.  Look down the hall at the bathroom open to the public and there is a line out the door.  I see an older security guard standing in front of two large doors and I approach him with "excuse me sir, is there another restroom around here?" 
    The guard replies, yes, but not open to the public."   
    Me: " I will give you $20 if you take me to the bathroom you use"
    Guard: "That sounds alright to me"
    We go through the doors and my buddy and i are walking in a long hallway. My buddy turns to me and gestures behind him. Its Mike walking down the hall with a guitar in his hand.  Super excited to see him, we turn and say hey, so psyched for the show, mind if we get a picture?  
    Could not have been any nicer or patient.  
    He was going into the green room and we could see several people in there, one older gent strumming a guitar.  I thought it was Neil, turned out to be Ace.  Great day and great show!
    2005 phones didn't take great pics LOL and yes, that is me wearing a get right shirt.  What else would I wear hahaha.


    Nice deal. 20 bucks to beat the line and meet mike!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    Loujoe said:
    Get_Right said:
    2005 Borgata
    I am pregaming at the Borgata tequila bar and need to use the restroom.  Look down the hall at the bathroom open to the public and there is a line out the door.  I see an older security guard standing in front of two large doors and I approach him with "excuse me sir, is there another restroom around here?" 
    The guard replies, yes, but not open to the public."   
    Me: " I will give you $20 if you take me to the bathroom you use"
    Guard: "That sounds alright to me"
    We go through the doors and my buddy and i are walking in a long hallway. My buddy turns to me and gestures behind him. Its Mike walking down the hall with a guitar in his hand.  Super excited to see him, we turn and say hey, so psyched for the show, mind if we get a picture?  
    Could not have been any nicer or patient.  
    He was going into the green room and we could see several people in there, one older gent strumming a guitar.  I thought it was Neil, turned out to be Ace.  Great day and great show!
    2005 phones didn't take great pics LOL and yes, that is me wearing a get right shirt.  What else would I wear hahaha.


    Nice deal. 20 bucks to beat the line and meet mike!
    I'm just thinking how as soon as they saw Mike and asked for a pic, I bet that security guard was thinking "Oh crap, I am so fired!" 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    edited July 2021
    So @Get_Right , think we'll ever get that Rock N Roll Hall of Fame story? It sounds like one worth telling!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    edited October 2021
    Love how underneath the great details of these stories is just so much emotion, so much inspiration, so much joy!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,261
    edited June 2021
    JH6056 said:
    Loujoe said:
    Get_Right said:
    2005 Borgata
    I am pregaming at the Borgata tequila bar and need to use the restroom.  Look down the hall at the bathroom open to the public and there is a line out the door.  I see an older security guard standing in front of two large doors and I approach him with "excuse me sir, is there another restroom around here?" 
    The guard replies, yes, but not open to the public."   
    Me: " I will give you $20 if you take me to the bathroom you use"
    Guard: "That sounds alright to me"
    We go through the doors and my buddy and i are walking in a long hallway. My buddy turns to me and gestures behind him. Its Mike walking down the hall with a guitar in his hand.  Super excited to see him, we turn and say hey, so psyched for the show, mind if we get a picture?  
    Could not have been any nicer or patient.  
    He was going into the green room and we could see several people in there, one older gent strumming a guitar.  I thought it was Neil, turned out to be Ace.  Great day and great show!
    2005 phones didn't take great pics LOL and yes, that is me wearing a get right shirt.  What else would I wear hahaha.


    Nice deal. 20 bucks to beat the line and meet mike!
    I'm just thinking how as soon as they saw Mike and asked for a pic, I bet that security guard was thinking "Oh crap, I am so fired!" 
    Ended up giving him $40 and no issues Mike was super cool. Next story is about how Ed gave me a pick at the REM RnR HOF induction. Spoiler only have a pic of the pick LOL. But I do have a pic with Slash from that night and will share.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    Get_Right said:
    JH6056 said:
    Loujoe said:
    Get_Right said:
    2005 Borgata
    I am pregaming at the Borgata tequila bar and need to use the restroom.  Look down the hall at the bathroom open to the public and there is a line out the door.  I see an older security guard standing in front of two large doors and I approach him with "excuse me sir, is there another restroom around here?" 
    The guard replies, yes, but not open to the public."   
    Me: " I will give you $20 if you take me to the bathroom you use"
    Guard: "That sounds alright to me"
    We go through the doors and my buddy and i are walking in a long hallway. My buddy turns to me and gestures behind him. Its Mike walking down the hall with a guitar in his hand.  Super excited to see him, we turn and say hey, so psyched for the show, mind if we get a picture?  
    Could not have been any nicer or patient.  
    He was going into the green room and we could see several people in there, one older gent strumming a guitar.  I thought it was Neil, turned out to be Ace.  Great day and great show!
    2005 phones didn't take great pics LOL and yes, that is me wearing a get right shirt.  What else would I wear hahaha.


    Nice deal. 20 bucks to beat the line and meet mike!
    I'm just thinking how as soon as they saw Mike and asked for a pic, I bet that security guard was thinking "Oh crap, I am so fired!" 
    Ended up giving him $40 and no issues Mike was super cool. Next story is about how Ed gave me a pick at the REM RnR HOF induction. Spoiler only have a pic of the pick LOL. But I do have a pic with Slash from that night and will share.
    And you could also tell the WHOLE STORY please, since I am CRAZY about REM! Many REM fans here I imagine....  Please do tell!  Also was this when the HOF induction was still at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel, or somewhere else?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,261
    Yep Waldorf and I was in a tux! Oh I do have a signed finale people have the power lyric sheet.  Signed by Sammy Hagar and Emeril Lagasse. Long story, it would take some time to write it up properly :)
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    I, for one, promise to read every. Single. WORD! So I hope you do write it up....
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,449
    Jh6056…. I distinctly remember you telling that Camden story in the Tickle My Nausea magazine way back then.  Man so long ago.  I remember being at the show and then reading your review and Leaving Here on the setlist all made sense. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    Jh6056…. I distinctly remember you telling that Camden story in the Tickle My Nausea magazine way back then.  Man so long ago.  I remember being at the show and then reading your review and Leaving Here on the setlist all made sense. 
    Incredible memory you have cp3iverson! Yeah I actually gave a ride from Camden back to NYC  with 1 of the 3 Tickle My Nausea writers after Camden 2, my 1st time meeting them, and I told the story in the car so that's how that happened...

    So cool that you were there too! Yeah isn't it crazy that that was TWENTY-THREE YEARS AGO???  A lifetime ago, literally for some.

    I'll never know if all Ed could think at first is "Why is this crazy lady yelling "Chicken! Chicken!" at me? Is she an animal rights activist or what??"  =)

    If I remember correctly, you've seen your share of shows cp3 - does that 1st Philly show stand out at all as an emotional show to you or what do you remember?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,449
    JH6056 said:
    Jh6056…. I distinctly remember you telling that Camden story in the Tickle My Nausea magazine way back then.  Man so long ago.  I remember being at the show and then reading your review and Leaving Here on the setlist all made sense. 
    Incredible memory you have cp3iverson! Yeah I actually gave a ride from Camden back to NYC  with 1 of the 3 Tickle My Nausea writers after Camden 2, my 1st time meeting them, and I told the story in the car so that's how that happened...

    So cool that you were there too! Yeah isn't it crazy that that was TWENTY-THREE YEARS AGO???  A lifetime ago, literally for some.

    I'll never know if all Ed could think at first is "Why is this crazy lady yelling "Chicken! Chicken!" at me? Is she an animal rights activist or what??"  =)

    If I remember correctly, you've seen your share of shows cp3 - does that 1st Philly show stand out at all as an emotional show to you or what do you remember?
    It does because like you said — first Philly show since at least VS right? It was a really anxious crowd.  I remember Ed in the crowd checking out Mudhoney and then the madness lol.  

    I still think of the “Philadelphia Freedom/Sweet Home Alabama” intro into “Hard to Imagine” as an apology for being gone so long.  And then of course Leaving Here!

    no way that its been 23 yrs man!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    JH6056 said:
    Jh6056…. I distinctly remember you telling that Camden story in the Tickle My Nausea magazine way back then.  Man so long ago.  I remember being at the show and then reading your review and Leaving Here on the setlist all made sense. 
    Incredible memory you have cp3iverson! Yeah I actually gave a ride from Camden back to NYC  with 1 of the 3 Tickle My Nausea writers after Camden 2, my 1st time meeting them, and I told the story in the car so that's how that happened...

    So cool that you were there too! Yeah isn't it crazy that that was TWENTY-THREE YEARS AGO???  A lifetime ago, literally for some.

    I'll never know if all Ed could think at first is "Why is this crazy lady yelling "Chicken! Chicken!" at me? Is she an animal rights activist or what??"  =)

    If I remember correctly, you've seen your share of shows cp3 - does that 1st Philly show stand out at all as an emotional show to you or what do you remember?
    It does because like you said — first Philly show since at least VS right? It was a really anxious crowd.  I remember Ed in the crowd checking out Mudhoney and then the madness lol.  

    I still think of the “Philadelphia Freedom/Sweet Home Alabama” intro into “Hard to Imagine” as an apology for being gone so long.  And then of course Leaving Here!

    no way that its been 23 yrs man!
    Yeah I can definitely say I never expected to hear PJ cover Philadelphia Freedom!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 4,382
    Bump for a great thread. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    Cool that you bumped this Loujoe, because @Get_Right never did write up his story about being at the Rock Hall of Fame awards, which is a story we need to hear!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 4,382
    True. Spill the beans. Anyone add anything please.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,261
    Ok Ok, I will thanks for resurfacing this thread.  

  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,261
    edited October 2021
    OK here it is!

    I have a very, very close friend whose family was in the media business, including owning MTV. Ya, the big time in NYC. For a period in the 90s and 00s, all we had to do was place a call and tickets would be left for us. This includes tickets and backstage passes for Randall's II 96.  You want to know why you cant get good seats on TM, this is why, going back to 96 TM held the best seats for corporate friends.  So, when I hear that Ed is inducting REM into the HOF at the Waldorf, I call my buddy, a call is placed, and boom we are on the guest list.  We put on our tuxes (every man should own his own tux once you turn 21) and head to the Bull and the Bear (Waldorf Steakhouse) for a few beers before the event.  We make our way in and head to our table, which is about four tables away from the stage.  Our table is all lawyers and accountants, but that's OK! The table directly in front if us is reserved and there is a pyramid of Cabo Wabo bottles in the middle of the table.

    We hit the bar and slowly but surely we notice all in attendance, Keith Richards, Michael Stipe, Clive Davis, Slash and the guys from Velvet Revolver, Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony and to bring Ohana full circle, John McEnroe. I shook hands with Tina Turner.  It's been awhile, but that room was filled with rock royalty. We are psyched. I get a picture with Slash. My buddy gets a pic with McEnroe and he tells us, "you guys are killing me" and quickly moves on.





    Then we notice that the table in front of us is the Van Halen table with Sammy and Michael (that was it), and strangely, Emeril Lagasse is also at their table.  I go over and say "hey Sammy what do we need to do to get some of that Cabo?"  "Just ask brother!" A bottle of reposado is shared and this was before Patron had changed the tequila game. So good.  The event goes on and I mean forever, so slow waiting for Ed and REM.  We are continue to chat with Michael, Sammy and Emeril, turns out Emeril and my bud had a lot of common friends because they work in the hospitality industry. Ed plays with REM and I get up and go right to the stage (close as possible without bugging VIPS) after Man on the Moon, I hold up ten fingers, make a C with my hands, and make a strumming motion.  Ed throws me his pic.  





    I am in heaven as the grand finale is People Have the Power with Patti Smith, Ed, REM, etc. total jam.  What an experience.  I grab the lyric sheet from the Van Halen table and I get Sammy and Emeril to sign it.  



    Then the fun starts.

    Emeril says hey guys, I have some private label wine backstage, let's open a bottle.  Uh ok we say and go backstage.  We are hanging out in our tuxes with Michael Anthony, Sammy and Emeril drinking wine.  Total mindfuck. I honestly do not recall how many musicians past us when we were there  so many, but not Ed or REM. We were being respectful and the phones were in our pockets.  Then Michael says why dont you guys join us for the after party?  

    We get into a black suburban still drinking Emeril's wine and by now I am more than buzzed but less than hammered.  Michael says he needs to make a stop at the hotel and we pull up in front of the Four Seasons on W57th.  He goes in for about 20 mins and then we make our way downtown to the Spotted Pig, which at the time was IMPOSSIBLE to get into.  The after party is upstairs, the entire second floor is all VIPS and I sit at a table with Michael, Sammy, Emeril and Matt Sorum the drummer from GNR and Velvet Revolver.  Dinner is served at about 1 am. Michael Stipe visits the room and leaves. Sting and Trudie pass through.  Dinner is delicious and I am wondering what the fuck am I doing here. I almost felt like I was trespassing.  But I was able to just simply say, industry lawyer, lucky guest, and all were cool with that. At about 2:30 am, one of the security guards comes up to me and says, time to go.  I make a lame effort to plead my case only to realize my luck had run out. My guess is that the real VIPS were about to show up. And that's all I have to say about that. 

    Hope it was worth the wait.

    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 31,297
    HOLY SHIT
    I think I'll move to Australia


  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,261
    edited October 2021


    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,652
    Kick ass story.  Living the dream right there.  Well done. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    RIGHT ON GET RIGHT!!! That was soooo fun to read! And you did it EXACTLY right: you were friendly and talked to people but were respectful and didn't hang on anyone! I love that you ended up getting dinner at the VIP afterparty!

    So many details that are great in your story... gonna go back and watch the REM induction again, and the finale if I can find them online!

    THANK YOU for telling your story!!!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,449
    That was awesome
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,261
    OK so should I tell the story tellers 2006 story next? definitely not as interesting!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    Get_Right said:
    OK so should I tell the story tellers 2006 story next? definitely not as interesting!
    Yes. The answer to that question would be a "hard YES"!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,261
    JH6056 said:
    Get_Right said:
    OK so should I tell the story tellers 2006 story next? definitely not as interesting!
    Yes. The answer to that question would be a "hard YES"!
    Ha need three months to work on content :)

  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 26,345
    Dude that was an amazing story!  You were backstage at Randall’s 2?!  Any cool stories or photos from my first pj show?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,261
    Love the feedback. No photos from 96, but I can say, that we walked out of that pit and into cold Heinekens and hot dogs, which at the time might as well have been caviar.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,152
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dude that was an amazing story!  You were backstage at Randall’s 2?!  Any cool stories or photos from my first pj show?
    Get Right has all the stories!
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, INPosts: 4,704
    Fantastic story! Thank you for sharing, it was a great read. Look forward to more stories. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 4,382
    Cool and wow. I guess I should buy a tux when I turn 21!
Sign In or Register to comment.