The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    dankind said:
    Zod said:

I'm O-.  I also approve this possibility.  Also because that blood type runs in my family.   I think both my Mom and my Grandfather are also O-.

I also don't seem to get sick as much as other people do.   I might get a flu or bronchitus every 5-10 years.... the old cold.. but most of the time I don't even use sick days.   I wonder of O- prevents other diseases too?
    me too. i haven't had a cold or flu in at least 2 years. and i have two kids. 
    Blood type is one of those things I can never remember. 

I need to write it down somewhere. 

Same here.  Last time I had a general physical, I asked my doc if they had my blood type on record.  He said, "No, you'll have to make an appointment for lab work to find out."  I didn't express my exasperation but I was miffed.  I thought it was a simple thing to find out.  Wait- I have to go to a lab for that?  Screw that!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My sinus infection led to covid test number three today. Ugh. 
    Funny (not funny), but I had the same thing last week.  Could have sworn I had this shit, but turned out to just be a cold turned sinus infection.  Nasal swab/antibody test were both negative :)
    Awesome.  Fingers crossed. I get sinus infections all the time but because it is a “symptom” I got tested again.  
    Same here, I was running a slight fever and was questioning if I was smelling/tasting right, ha. Just knew the tests were going to come back positive and was a bit bewildered when they didn’t! Feel great now so 👍
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zod said:

I'm O-.  I also approve this possibility.  Also because that blood type runs in my family.   I think both my Mom and my Grandfather are also O-.

I also don't seem to get sick as much as other people do.   I might get a flu or bronchitus every 5-10 years.... the old cold.. but most of the time I don't even use sick days.   I wonder of O- prevents other diseases too?

Same here.  Last time I had a general physical, I asked my doc if they had my blood type on record.  He said, "No, you'll have to make an appointment for lab work to find out."  I didn't express my exasperation but I was miffed.  I thought it was a simple thing to find out.  Wait- I have to go to a lab for that?  Screw that!
    My wife wasn't sure so I told her just to call her doc and he can look it up. it must be on record. 

or at least I would think. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2021
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zod said:

My wife wasn't sure so I told her just to call her doc and he can look it up. it must be on record. 

Go give blood and save a life :). Easy way to find out your blood type!  Might even find out your a “baby donor” like me! (O- and CMV negative) 
    https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/types-of-blood-donations/whole-blood-donation/pediatric-patient-cmv.html
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    dankind said:
    Zod said:

I feel like a fucking dunce as I cannot recall mine, either.  Just had blood drawn late last year and forgot to ask. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Nice plateau 

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zod said:

Go give blood and save a life :). Easy way to find out your blood type!  Might even find out your a “baby donor” like me! (O- and CMV negative) 
    https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/types-of-blood-donations/whole-blood-donation/pediatric-patient-cmv.html
    she can't. she was living in the UK during the mad cow outbreak. lifetime ban from giving blood in canada. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zod said:

she can't. she was living in the UK during the mad cow outbreak. lifetime ban from giving blood in canada. 
    Me too. It's a real bummer - I used to enjoy giving blood.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zod said:

Me too. It's a real bummer - I used to enjoy giving blood.
    before she left she was a regular donor. it's really too bad. especially with the situation right now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zod said:

Oh, that sucks!  I have a couple friends with similar bans and they hate it.  They still get calls from the donor organizations and have to keep telling them they cannot.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Prions are no joke!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Prions are no joke!
    a coworker of 25 years died of it in september. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I think you can order an inexpensive at-home kit to determine your blood type. No need to go to a lab. Google it. 
    edited January 2021
    I think you can order an inexpensive at-home kit to determine your blood type. No need to go to a lab. Google it. 

Will do.

Back to COVID- someone I've known for several years came down with the virus.  I was surprised to took so long for at least one person I know well to get it.  He lives in another state, so we have not been in contact.  But what a bummer.  He had three weeks of his fever, hands shaking, loss of taste and smell.  Still has a bit of a hand tremor. 

It's also breaking out worse than eve locally.  We had really good numbers for quite awhile.  I felt lucky.  Now it's getting bad.  Restaurants, butcher shop, and a few other business have closed down- at least temporarily- due to employees getting the virus.  I feel like it's closing in.  Very unsettling.  I'll be glad when we can get the vaccine.  Maybe be awhile yet.  I dread thinking what would happen if my wife or I got it.  Scary. 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    brianlux said:

Will do.

Back to COVID- someone I've known for several years came down with the virus.  I was surprised to took so long for at least one person I know well to get it.  He lives in another state, so we have not been in contact.  But what a bummer.  He had three weeks of his fever, hands shaking, loss of taste and smell.  Still has a bit of a hand tremor. 

It's also breaking out worse than eve locally.  We had really good numbers for quite awhile.  I felt lucky.  Now it's getting bad.  Restaurants, butcher shop, and a few other business have closed down- at least temporarily- due to employees getting the virus.  I feel like it's closing in.  Very unsettling.  I'll be glad when we can get the vaccine.  Maybe be awhile yet.  I dread thinking what would happen if my wife or I got it.  Scary. 
    Hang in there man. Although it is not great for our overall outlook, the number of people passing on the vaccine may make it available to those who want it faster.
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:

Will do.

Hang in there man. Although it is not great for our overall outlook, the number of people passing on the vaccine may make it available to those who want it faster.

Thanks, JW.

If it were available to me today, it would be a hard call.  We really need to to go to health care workers on the front line and the elderly first.  At 69 yrs of age and with a weakened immune system, I'm certainly concerned, but I also have the luxury of not working full-time and have been very cautious, so I'm not in a high priority group.  I'll be very happy when the vaccine becomes more widely available beyond those first two groups groups. 

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Just got my second Pfizer dose, 21 days after the first dose.

Will let you know how it goes the next few days.
    Yes please keep us updated on any side effects thanks, I’m scheduled for my 2nd dose on the 23rd of this month I hope you don’t get any side effects..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited January 2021
    48 hours out from Moderna dose 1.
    Minor injection site soreness is the only side effect I'm sure of...maybe I felt a little tired and a tiny bit off??  Hard to tell really, not severe enough to be sure it's anything more than life lol
    I had a migraine Wednesday so that already throws me off...
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    48 hours out from Moderna dose 1.
    Minor injection site soreness is the only side effect I'm sure of...maybe I felt a little tired and a tiny bit off??  Hard to tell really, not severe enough to be sure it's anything more than life lol
    I had a migraine Wednesday so that already throws me off...
    Ok glad you got vaccinated, I didn’t feel any side effects from the 1st dose of Pfizer..
  • Brother is fine 3 days after Pfizer  dose 1
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Brother is fine 3 days after Pfizer  dose 1
    Good I hope you get to be vaccinated soon..
  • Brother is fine 3 days after Pfizer  dose 1
    Good I hope you get to be vaccinated soon..
    I won't get a chance  sadly.  Not for many months  .But as long as my mum gets it thats what I want. . I hope you are all good my friend
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    4 days after 2nd Pfizer dose and I felt virtually nothing after first dose

My roommate, however, called the second dose the "sickest he's been in years".  He had the exact same symptoms I had after my 1st dose, severe chills, GI symptoms, but the severe chills was definitely the most striking symptom for both of us.  It also hit him about 12-14 hours after the vaccine was administered.  Hes feeling better now about 24-36 hours out, so at least the symptoms are short lived.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    ^^^^Appreciate that info^^^^
    4 days after 2nd Pfizer dose and I felt virtually nothing after first dose

My roommate, however, called the second dose the "sickest he's been in years".  He had the exact same symptoms I had after my 1st dose, severe chills, GI symptoms, but the severe chills was definitely the most striking symptom for both of us.  It also hit him about 12-14 hours after the vaccine was administered.  Hes feeling better now about 24-36 hours out, so at least the symptoms are short lived.
    yikes
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine about 4 hours ago. I asked our facility head how many staff had signed up for it. He said right around 35%. So much for herd immunity. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine about 4 hours ago. I asked our facility head how many staff had signed up for it. He said right around 35%. So much for herd immunity. 
    Congrats. My sister got the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago. She had no side effects. She is due for her second shot in a few weeks. I hope no side effects come from that either. Let us know how you are doing tonight. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2021
    They should not be allowed to work close to patients during a pandemic then.

But I guess we all are in the hands of the health care workers now - and at the same time could also be their bitch. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450

But I guess we all are in the hands of the health care workers now - and at the same time could also be their bitch. 
    I am not in health care, I work in the maintenance department at a correctional facility.  Because of the amount of people in close contact, we were considered at high risk for infection and spread. 
  • I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine about 4 hours ago. I asked our facility head how many staff had signed up for it. He said right around 35%. So much for herd immunity. 

I am not in health care, I work in the maintenance department at a correctional facility.  Because of the amount of people in close contact, we were considered at high risk for infection and spread. 
    Oh, sorry - I read your post wrong. I read it as you asking the hospital staff giving you the vaccine, like out of curiosity and got that answer.

Sorry.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.