EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Do Texas fans think that Sarkisian is an improvement over Herman? I understand if you're ready to move on from the current coach, but I would not be happy with this decision if I was a Longhorn fan.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    $25M severance check.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Sark is a smart guy but as someone who has been there with their team.....I would be wary.  Dude was fucking hammered before practice and before a team event on campus.  
    Hope for him he has all of that in his rearview.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Do Texas fans think that Sarkisian is an improvement over Herman? I understand if you're ready to move on from the current coach, but I would not be happy with this decision if I was a Longhorn fan.
    I think Herman is a good coach.  He was great at OSU and Houston played great under him.  I think they pulled the trigger too fast.  I'd love if he came back,  but I doubt he will.  He'll get another mid HC job to start.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Hahaha.
    Nice.
    didn’t THEosu win a national championship a few years back with a THIRD string QB?

saban’s daughter. he must be so proud.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    didn’t THEosu win a national championship a few years back with a THIRD string QB?

Does social media make people stupid or just give them a platform?

And yes,  yes they did beat Bama with a #3.
    Wobbie said:

She is just channeling her inner Dabo, cut her some slack.
    :lol:
    The asshole doesn't fall far from the tree, huh?

mickeyrat said:

extension???? I did not see that coming.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    Wobbie said:
    mickeyrat said:

no shit.  recruiting class ranked 17th. directly behind Wisconsin at 15 and Maryland at 16. Of course the Bucks are top 5 at number 2.

thats not the way to win the GAME.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Wobbie said:
    mickeyrat said:

no shit.  recruiting class ranked 17th. directly behind Wisconsin at 15 and Maryland at 16. Of course the Bucks are top 5 at number 2.

thats not the way to win the GAME.
    It will be years before they can compete with us again, at least consistently.  Perhaps Michigan is accepting the fact that they are not the Michigan of yesteryear. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    cutz said:
    Ha, that was the best breakdown of the fight I've seen. 
    Man....Harris is awesome.  
    Good game this far but Harris - that man is for real!
    edited January 2021
    Man....Harris is awesome.  
    Good game this far but Harris - that man is for real!
    He's a pro
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Wonder who gets Smith in the draft. Dude looked real good tonight.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    So do the same people here who said ND didn't belong and was garbage because they got rolled by Alabama say the same thing about an Ohio State squad that got rolled in even more spectacular fashion?

Gave up more points, was behind by more at half, was behind by more at the end?

I'm not arguing for ND, I hate them.  I'm continuing to position that judging a team by how they get trashed at the hands of Alabama this year is really not right.

Ohio State looked like the second best team....until they got demolished by Bama.  Ohio State belonged in that game, Bama was just far and away the best team in the country.

Dammit.  Was very impressive, though.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    So do the same people here who said ND didn't belong and was garbage because they got rolled by Alabama say the same thing about an Ohio State squad that got rolled in even more spectacular fashion?

I'm not arguing for ND, I hate them.  I'm continuing to position that judging a team by how they get trashed at the hands of Alabama this year is really not right.

Ohio State looked like the second best team....until they got demolished by Bama.  Ohio State belonged in that game, Bama was just far and away the best team in the country.

Thank you. I've been staying away from this thread for a bit due to my obvious bias, but have appreciated your unbiased and fair assessments. 

I'm not even suggesting ND is better than OSU, but who else, based on a seasons body of work should have been in over Notre Dame? Dislike them as you may, they were a consensus top 4 team this season. Bama was far and away the best team this season. And it wasn't even close. Then, I would say OSU and Clemson. After that, it's probably a cluster of about 5 teams of which Notre Dame had the best resume. 

I'm looking forward to a banter filled season with you this fall. I suspect the Clay Helton led pony riders will become more of a force to be reckoned with and ND will be somewhere in the top 12-20.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Yeah I know there is a case to be made for A&M or Cincy....but getting your teeth kicked in by Bama is standard for most teams this year -. Even an Ohio State team that was really good.

Well it was a crazy season but no kids or coaches died from the Rona, and hopefully no fans that were in attendance were spreaders or deaths.

Also hope that there are no "long rider" symptoms for any of the athletes who got it this season.

We can look forward to the fall and hope things are under control then.  

Everyone should be able to agree on the only finishing spot that mattered - Bama was the best, again.

Thank you. I've been staying away from this thread for a bit due to my obvious bias, but have appreciated your unbiased and fair assessments. 

I'm not even suggesting ND is better than OSU, but who else, based on a seasons body of work should have been in over Notre Dame? Dislike them as you may, they were a consensus top 4 team this season. Bama was far and away the best team this season. And it wasn't even close. Then, I would say OSU and Clemson. After that, it's probably a cluster of about 5 teams of which Notre Dame had the best resume. 

I'm looking forward to a banter filled season with you this fall. I suspect the Clay Helton led pony riders will become more of a force to be reckoned with and ND will be somewhere in the top 12-20.
    Texas A&M's pedestrian performance against an above average North Carolina team already settled that argument in my opinion. 
    Regarding Bama, this was a super elite team.  The Buckeyes were also very short handed with the loss of two starting defensive lineman,  starting rb, all American tackle, etc. Not saying they would have beat Bama but it would have helped.  
    welp, that’s something on the DVR I can delete. :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • So do the same people here who said ND didn't belong and was garbage because they got rolled by Alabama say the same thing about an Ohio State squad that got rolled in even more spectacular fashion?

No, I still think ND is a top of the mid tier teams.  They aren't in the same class as Clemson, OSU and Bama.  

Bama was one of those juggernaut teams this year.  Nick Saban is the best college FB coach because of the teams he can construct.  I thought Clemson had a chance this year but they fell way short.  OSU too.

No, I still think ND is a top of the mid tier teams.  They aren't in the same class as Clemson, OSU and Bama.  

Bama was one of those juggernaut teams this year.  Nick Saban is the best college FB coach because of the teams he can construct.  I thought Clemson had a chance this year but they fell way short.  OSU too.
    You still need a fourth though.  Notre Dame was the right choice. 
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:

Texas A&M's pedestrian performance against an above average North Carolina team already settled that argument in my opinion. 
    Regarding Bama, this was a super elite team.  The Buckeyes were also very short handed with the loss of two starting defensive lineman,  starting rb, all American tackle, etc. Not saying they would have beat Bama but it would have helped.  

Bama lost players as well...much of the game w/o their safety.  (Felt badly for the kid but that was an ejection based on the rules.  He handled it with as much grace as one could...lucky nobody was hurt.)  They also went the whole second half without the guy that nobody in America could cover. 
    But I would say that Ohio State was a very good team -- and the #2 team based on what we saw, clearly.  No shame in getting tossed around by the bully, which is for certain who Bama was this season.

Arguing over #4 is part of the fun of college football.  Always has been some level of argument....1, 2, 3, 4, etc...but at least this way we all are on the same page as to the #1.  I think the system works, overall, if that is the goal.  (Which it should be, to me.)
    edited January 2021

Also -- hoping against hope that Philly hires Graham Harrel away and USC can at least focus on an offense that has both a running and passing component.  If we are going to be mediocre due to mediocre coaching the least we can get as fans is a little bit of comfort not seeing the assholes run on 3rd and 1 from the gun/pistol every single time.  Also - do not expect any top tier RBs to want to go to USC until this fucking gimmick bullshit offense is gone.  We need to go back to a pro style game - just tweak it with lots of short pass options.  Norm Chow was the best - for my tastes no OC the team has had can match the simplicity & effectiveness of a Norm Chow run game.

Help me, Eagles, you're my only hope! 

mrussel1 said:

Bama lost players as well...much of the game w/o their safety.  (Felt badly for the kid but that was an ejection based on the rules.  He handled it with as much grace as one could...lucky nobody was hurt.)  They also went the whole second half without the guy that nobody in America could cover. 
    But I would say that Ohio State was a very good team -- and the #2 team based on what we saw, clearly.  No shame in getting tossed around by the bully, which is for certain who Bama was this season.

Arguing over #4 is part of the fun of college football.  Always has been some level of argument....1, 2, 3, 4, etc...but at least this way we all are on the same page as to the #1.  I think the system works, overall, if that is the goal.  (Which it should be, to me.)
    System works,  I agree there.  I do like the argument that the playoffs should expand,  because you are seeing great players opt out of the bowls along with less attention on the bowls. 
  • mrussel1 said:

Yeah maybe A&M or Oklahoma would have been a better run?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

System works,  I agree there.  I do like the argument that the playoffs should expand,  because you are seeing great players opt out of the bowls along with less attention on the bowls. 

We are on different sides for that, but I would enjoy watching as a fan.  Let every conference Champ get in and then slug it out...would be interesting.
    That being stated, lots of players would still bail on the bowls. 

There is a simple reality, to me, involved with the top tier college football athlete.  (I won't embarrass them by calling them student athletes.)
    They are in college for one reason -- to get to the NFL and draw that contract.  Even if it is only a few years this will still position them well for life.  They will not have school debt, they will have access to some classes, and hopefully 3/4 of an education....BUT their main goal is to get to the NFL.
    With that being stated, if they feel like there is enough tape out there to get them drafted where they can fulfill that goal then they have one thing that (to me) is the smart move -- opt out of any bowl game (aggrandized money / glory grab for their school/slave driver) and prepare for the draft.

Looking out for their best interests, all around, I would encourage them to wrap up the schooling in their off-season or to set aside whatever money is needed to complete and lock that down.  If/when they finish the average NFL 3-4 year NFL career they will need to have that degree and the connections they maintained with the school network to get a good job.

There is a way to use the NCAA bs rules to try and create a win-win, but the ultimate goal for anyone going to college should be to set them up for a financially successful life....not to play in bowl games as Juniors of Seniors in college.

My two cents, others may have different opinions.  Until the NCAA starts paying the football players I do not think they owe them anything other than what it takes to get these kids drafted.
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah maybe A&M or Oklahoma would have been a better run?

The only better run would have been to beat Bama in the semi.  We will never know but I don't think that happens.  Oklahoma lost at home to garbage K State and lost a nail biter on the road to a very good Iowa State squad. 
    A&M was already blown out once this year by Bama.  Game was toast by half.