Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    GlowGirl said:
    At what point did you think it might be better to just be running in the rain?

How are your injuries?
    I don’t mind running in the rain. But this morning was pouring and windy. It was raining sideways. The first 2 miles on the treadmill were bearable. Then I couldn’t deal as much with the mask. When I do weight training the mask is totally fine. But running with it not so much. 

My scrapes are healing. Thanks for asking.  I did wake up yesterday to discover more bruising. A big one on my right knee and also left hipbone. But luckily nothing hurt while running. How is your foot?
    Funny how the next day can get ya!

Made a visit with the Ortho for Friday morning.  Will find out what they think about the ankle and foot then.
    Good luck. I hope they can help with the healing. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Thanks.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I got back outside today. It was so much better than the treadmill. When I got to the part where I tripped last week I found myself slowing down and looking at the ground more. No incidents this time. It was chilly. I kept all my layers on for the whole run.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    No strip running?

• beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    5 mile taper run this evening ahead of sundays virtual marathon. Took me past 1000 miles for the year, not much else to do in 2020 😂

out with the head torch, I love autumn/winter running.
    beano.79 said:
    5 mile taper run this evening ahead of sundays virtual marathon. Took me past 1000 miles for the year, not much else to do in 2020 😂

Excellent - good luck!

beano.79 said:

That's awesome. My running app says I ran 455 miles since mid March. Before then, I was on a treadmil, and didn't keep track. 1000 miles - amazing. Good look with the marathon.

I'd have to go back and add it up.  1,000 is a cool number to say, I will need to look to see what I can say for 2020.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    No strip running?

Hard to hold on to the cards as you run. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    beano.79 said:

Best of luck, Beano!

And about the weather - the last two days have been gorgeous here - sunny, calm, crisp, a couple of degrees above freezing. Perfect cycling weather, and today I got to ride in as the sun rose. When I got to work a colleague said “good for you for cycling in this terrible weather”. I think my jaw dropped. I told her “it isn’t terrible, it was glorious”. She harrumphed and said “it’s too cold”!

Fucking wimp! :lol: 
    No strip running?

Not this time :lol: Usually I strip off my hoodie, gloves, and headband. This time it all stayed on. 
    beano.79 said:

Best of luck, Beano!

And about the weather - the last two days have been gorgeous here - sunny, calm, crisp, a couple of degrees above freezing. Perfect cycling weather, and today I got to ride in as the sun rose. When I got to work a colleague said “good for you for cycling in this terrible weather”. I think my jaw dropped. I told her “it isn’t terrible, it was glorious”. She harrumphed and said “it’s too cold”!

Fucking wimp! :lol: 
    running in anything above 20c just kills me 😂 its not in my make up!
    I'd have to go back and add it up.  1,000 is a cool number to say, I will need to look to see what I can say for 2020.

It's the first year I made a point of taking the app (runkeeper) to track every run. I'm not sure in the grand scheme of running how much 1000 in a year is but like you say it does sound cool 😂

It was a treadmill day again and it sucked again. It was raining a bit too hard for me to run outside this morning. The mask didn’t feel quite as oppressive as last time. Maybe I will get used to it. The trick was to slow the treadmill down to 4.5 mph when I felt like I couldn’t breathe anymore. After a minute or so at that slow speed I cranked it back up again. That seemed to help. The fastest I went was 7.5 mph and could only do that for a short time before I felt like I couldn’t get any air in. But at 6 mph it was ok for a while. Of course now the sun is out. 
    GlowGirl said:
    At what point did you think it might be better to just be running in the rain?

How are your injuries?
    I don’t mind running in the rain. But this morning was pouring and windy. It was raining sideways. The first 2 miles on the treadmill were bearable. Then I couldn’t deal as much with the mask. When I do weight training the mask is totally fine. But running with it not so much. 

My scrapes are healing. Thanks for asking.  I did wake up yesterday to discover more bruising. A big one on my right knee and also left hipbone. But luckily nothing hurt while running. How is your foot?
    Funny how the next day can get ya!

Made a visit with the Ortho for Friday morning.  Will find out what they think about the ankle and foot then.
    Any news from the Ortho?
    edited December 2020
    What do you run at on a dreadmill, normally?  7.5 is a pretty strong pace.
    Sucks that it stopped raining after you finished but great work plowing through.  I am jealous.

Saw the Ortho yesterday morning and he thinks there is something going on.  Pushed the MRI through after some additional x-rays and the examination.  MRI is Thursday so we will see.  One of the potential outcomes could be somewhat serious and the others not....just likely different therapy methods to get rid of the issue.
    He said he should know what to do after getting the image back so I will be on the shelf for a while longer.  

Are you all healed up yet?

@beono.79 good luck tomorrow, knock em dead!
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    edited December 2020
    What do you run at on a dreadmill, normally?  7.5 is a pretty strong pace.
    Sucks that it stopped raining after you finished but great work plowing through.  I am jealous.

Saw the Ortho yesterday morning and he thinks there is something going on.  Pushed the MRI through after some additional x-rays and the examination.  MRI is Thursday so we will see.  One of the potential outcomes could be somewhat serious and the others not....just likely different therapy methods to get rid of the issue.
    He said he should know what to do after getting the image back so I will be on the shelf for a while longer.  

Are you all healed up yet?

@beono.79 good luck tomorrow, knock em dead!
    I’m glad you are getting your foot checked out. I hope it’s the less serious issue. But it sounds like either way, you can work towards healing. Good luck. 

My scrapes are healing up and my bruises are at the yellow stage so they are healing. Thanks for asking. 

On the treadmill I vary my speeds to keep from getting bored. I usually run 5.5 for the first mile just to warm up. Then I primarily run 6mph. But towards the end of each mile I crank it up to 6.5 for 2/10 of a mile and then 7.5 for 1/10 of a mile. Then I go back down to 5.5 for a minute or so and then back up to 6 and then repeat the 6.5 and 7.5 and so on. With the mask I did have to slow down a few times to 4.5 for 30 seconds just to regulate my breathing. 7.5 is too fast for me to maintain beyond a short bit at a time. I think at some point I would like to run 6.5 for longer periods. I’m working at it. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
    Good luck and FSM-speed to beano tomorrow!
    virtual nottingham xmas marathon done and dusted... super happy with 3hrs 28min! It's not always about time but my sole purpose of this race was to break 3:30. went super hard in the 3rd quarter of the run and then just gritted my teeth and held on best I could 😂

back at home now, feet up, coffee in hand and chicken roasting in the oven (thank u wifey)
    have a great sunday all!
    Wow, congratulations!  Awesome that you beat your time goal and had over a minute to spare!!!!

Great work.  Enjoy the feeling!
    edited December 2020
    beano.79 said:
    virtual nottingham xmas marathon done and dusted... super happy with 3hrs 28min! It's not always about time but my sole purpose of this race was to break 3:30. went super hard in the 3rd quarter of the run and then just gritted my teeth and held on best I could 😂

back at home now, feet up, coffee in hand and chicken roasting in the oven (thank u wifey)
    have a great sunday all!
    Congrats!!!  That is amazing. Your time was incredible. And you reached your goal. Today is a good day for you. Enjoy that chicken. You deserve it 👏👏👏
    thank you guys! cannot wait for my walk into work tomorrow 😂
    :lol:
    beano.79 said:

have a great sunday all!
    Great job and good to hear! Enjoy the rest of your day as you bask in triumph ;) 
    This morning I had to decide if I wanted to run outside in the cold, or run in a mask on the treadmill. I chose to run outside. It was cold when I first got out there, but I warmed up quickly. I had on one light layer, and two heavier layers. It was way better than running on the treadmill. But, I think when it gets below freezing I will have to. Today was around 35 degrees when I went out.
    GlowGirl said:
    This morning I had to decide if I wanted to run outside in the cold, or run in a mask on the treadmill. I chose to run outside. It was cold when I first got out there, but I warmed up quickly. I had on one light layer, and two heavier layers. It was way better than running on the treadmill. But, I think when it gets below freezing I will have to. Today was around 35 degrees when I went out.
    I had to go out at about 7 this morning to get some of the leaf piles into the roadway from the edge of the lawn since they were taking them away.  It was about 30 and I had shorts and a t-shirt.  Was brisk but ok.
    About twenty minutes later I saw a dude run by with a winter coat and sweats on, with a hat...jogging 
    All I could think of was how nasty stanley that gear was going to be when he finished sweating through his run
    Good for you getting out there!
    GlowGirl said:
    I had to go out at about 7 this morning to get some of the leaf piles into the roadway from the edge of the lawn since they were taking them away.  It was about 30 and I had shorts and a t-shirt.  Was brisk but ok.
    About twenty minutes later I saw a dude run by with a winter coat and sweats on, with a hat...jogging 
    All I could think of was how nasty stanley that gear was going to be when he finished sweating through his run
    Good for you getting out there!
    Thanks. I don't get some people's running gear either. I wore a running tank top as a base layer, then a long sleeve tech shirt, and then a Nike dri-fit thin hoodie over it all. I also wore running tights and a headband around my ears but no hat. It was fine. But I see people run now in those heavy fleece drawstring sweatpants and thick cotton sweatshirts (like the kind with college logos on them), and full on winter hats. They must be soaked by the time they finish. I was basically dry with some light sweat. Not bad at all. 

edited December 2020
    They have been shooting the Marvel Hawkeye movie (with Jeremy Renner) around my neighborhood. Today I ran by one of the places they were shooting and they covered it with fake snow, which I had to run through. So, now I apparently have to worry about slipping on fake snow. Ironically, about an hour after I got home it started snowing for real. It only lasted a short time and didn't stick - but winter is coming.
    Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen - careful!
    Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen - careful!
    Yeah. Luckily I didn't slip on the fake snow. But it slowed me down for a minute. They are always filming something around the neighborhood, but due to COVID I haven't seen a movie shoot in a while.