so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    RiotZact said:
    Yeah cheese is pretty much a must. Cheese Wiz is pretty popular but so are sliced American and provolone. I go with American myself. 
    Agree 100% with this.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    edited October 2020
    The difference is that cheesesteak meat isn’t soaked it it’s own juices for hours like an Italian beef is, so the only flavor comes from the meat itself and maybe some salt and pepper. Which is awesome, but a bit bland on its own. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Damn cheese Wiz?  I’d do a slice of provolone or nothing but what do I know. American could be good too but definitely slices over cheese wiz 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Onions, American, Peppers.

Gained a new appreciation for American cheese living around Philly.
    One place serves melted little cups of American cheese with old bay dusted fries.
    I wanted to barf
    (Then I ate them with a good buzz going.  Didn't make fun of that cheese tub again )

It is no wonder there are so many people here who are gravitationally challenged.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    RiotZact said:
    The difference is that cheesesteak meat isn’t soaked it it’s own juices for hours like an Italian beef is, so the only flavor comes from the meat itself and maybe some salt and pepper. Which is awesome, but a bit bland on its own. 
    That makes sense. That’s the difference. An Italian beef is definitely soaked which gives it
    the flavor I enjoy with peppers only. If I ever get to a Philly PJ show I’m going for an authentic cheesesteak for sure. Closest I’ve had is great steak and potato in the food court at the mall in 1996 lol 
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    That makes sense. That’s the difference. An Italian beef is definitely soaked which gives it
    the flavor I enjoy with peppers only. If I ever get to a Philly PJ show I’m going for an authentic cheesesteak for sure. Closest I’ve had is great steak and potato in the food court at the mall in 1996 lol 
    And I gotta say, Chicago has some great great food!  We just do it a little different here in the North East.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    And I gotta say, Chicago has some great great food!  We just do it a little different here in the North East.  
    Chicago has some weaknesses but food is not one lol 
    I went to Chicago for the better part of 3 days for the Wrigley shows in 2018. Had a hot dog, Italian beef Sammy, and chocolate cake shake from Portillo’s, sausage deep dish from Lou Malnati’s, another Italian beef from some little place that had good Yelp reviews, and the unexpected gem was a Meyer lemon donut with pistachios on top and one of the best fried chicken sandwiches I’ve ever had from Do-Rite Donuts. Trip would have been worth it even if Pearl Jam hadn’t been there. 
    Not a cheesesteak, but we decided to go see Rocky at a make shift drive-in theater at the Navy Yard last night and subsequently decided to try Pastifcio, which had amazing reviews for their hoagies, homemade pasta, meatballs, and mozzarella. This hoagie had cold beef, homemade marinated mozzarella, broccoli rabe and “oils and seasonings”. Quite possibly the best hoagie I’ve ever had. To top it off we split some homemade fried ravioli. 

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Pastificio's is good shit.

There's a woman Doreen running Hank's Hoagies via Instagram. I suggest following her. They are really fucking good as well.

There's a woman Doreen running Hank's Hoagies via Instagram. I suggest following her. They are really fucking good as well.
    Just googled it and can’t seem to find what you’re talking about. Do you mean the place in Scranton?
    RiotZact said:

Just googled it and can’t seem to find what you’re talking about. Do you mean the place in Scranton?
    https://instagram.com/hankshoags?igshid=1ctyvhbr7bkmk
    She's also the chef at 2nd District Brewing and she puts them on the menu sometimes. 
    RiotZact said:

https://instagram.com/hankshoags?igshid=1ctyvhbr7bkmk
    Thanks! “The Hank” sounds amazing. 
    FYI she's taking orders for next weekend.

edited November 2020
    From top-down that's the Costanza, Fall Jawn, Hank. Mmmm.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Dayum!
    Damn those look great! Sign me up for the hank. Not sure what separates a hoagie from a sub but main difference I can see from what we get is the sesame seeds. I’ll have to post a pic next time I get out to my go to spot. 
    bbiggs said:
    Damn those look great! Sign me up for the hank. Not sure what separates a hoagie from a sub but main difference I can see from what we get is the sesame seeds. I’ll have to post a pic next time I get out to my go to spot. 
    Yeah they're basically the same - Italian cured meats and cheese on a long roll. Big difference I'd say, yeah, are the rolls. I know some people call the rolls Italian rolls, but they're hoagie rolls to me. Also, hoagie is just a hell of a word.

It's been Hoagie Weekend here. I got Pastificio's yesterday. So good.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Oh man, I want to chomp those down!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    There’s no difference. These people just talk weird 

Those look awesome 
    When we were in full lockdown mode my favorite bar was doing quizzo online (aka bar trivia) and one of the team names was “Edward Hoagie Hands” which we thought was pretty hilarious. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    RiotZact said:
    When we were in full lockdown mode my favorite bar was doing quizzo online (aka bar trivia) and one of the team names was “Edward Hoagie Hands” which we thought was pretty hilarious. 
    What's your favorite bar?

Original 13 Ciderworks in Olde/South Kensington. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Sweet mother of god
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Sweet mother of god
    +1.  Those look amazing.   
    Not a cheesesteak but sticks with the theme of the thread. Augustinos Deli. A staple from the town I grew up in. Only get it when I make it back. Italian with side of pasta salad. Best I’ve ever had

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    bbiggs said:
    Not a cheesesteak but sticks with the theme of the thread. Augustinos Deli. A staple from the town I grew up in. Only get it when I make it back. Italian with side of pasta salad. Best I’ve ever had

That looks great. I love Italian subs. I will have to get one soon. It’s been many years. 
    Pasta salad looks bomb as well
    ^ It had been so long for me too. I’m more of a boring turkey guy these days, but whenever I get up there I have to go for it.