Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    At 5am tomorrow 97% chance of rain....98% at 6am.
    :lol:
    Gonna be a wet one!

At least it is meant to be in the high 50s.  As long as it is not pouring it will be no big deal.  With forecast for constant rain while I'm out there, pouring could make me at least consider the treadmill.  Don't think I can bring myself to do the treadmill but we will have to see how bad the rain is.  :lol:.   

Funny you brought this up. It was raining this morning a bit too hard for me to go running. Today is my usual running day. It is supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so just a few minutes ago I booked a time for the gym tomorrow morning to use the treadmill. My gym requires us to book in advance now so they can make sure they keep the gym only 1/3 full. My fancy new sports mask isn't being delivered until Friday, so I am going to suck it up with a regular surgical mask. I am hoping when I wake up that the rain is not too bad. Then I can cancel the gym and run outside. I would be ok with the treadmill if it weren't for the damn mask.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Good luck to you as well!

It was meant to be raining this morning hit it wasn't.  Clearly it will be tomorrow and Friday, although Friday is off.  20 miles on Saturday so I'm hoping the rain stays away for that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Rain is gone. Sky is blue. I'm off running before people end their jobs and are everywhere watching me. 

Trying to hit 5-6km
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Runkeeper sometimes stop counting. Today the app counted time till 1 min, but no km or min/km...

I don't like that I can't trust the app...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I got a watch once I started trying to track...didn't like the Runkeeper.
    Gonna be a wet one!

At least it is meant to be in the high 50s.  As long as it is not pouring it will be no big deal.  With forecast for constant rain while I'm out there, pouring could make me at least consider the treadmill.  Don't think I can bring myself to do the treadmill but we will have to see how bad the rain is.  :lol:.   

Did you get outside or was it treadmill time? It was pouring here. I did my first real run on a treadmill since March. I managed 5.3 miles. Brutal with the mask. If anyone feels that time is passing too quickly, get on the treadmill. It is where time goes to die. I think I have done 10 minutes and look at the clock and 3 minutes have gone by. Ugh!! I hope the weather is good on Saturday. Saturdays is when I run 10K. That will be torture on a treadmill with a mask - but I should have my Under Armour sports mask by then. Maybe that will help.

• I got a watch once I started trying to track...didn't like the Runkeeper.
    Hmm. My colleague snatched one up when a store was getting rid of a certain brand... bought one for like 20 dollars. 

But I'm not really ready investing in this. But will. First "real" shoes though.
    GlowGirl said:
    Gonna be a wet one!

Did you get outside or was it treadmill time? It was pouring here. I did my first real run on a treadmill since March. I managed 5.3 miles. Brutal with the mask. If anyone feels that time is passing too quickly, get on the treadmill. It is where time goes to die. I think I have done 10 minutes and look at the clock and 3 minutes have gone by. Ugh!! I hope the weather is good on Saturday. Saturdays is when I run 10K. That will be torture on a treadmill with a mask - but I should have my Under Armour sports mask by then. Maybe that will help.

Went outside, it was raining pretty hard.  Before I got to a mile I was soaked, and sorry that I wore the light rain gear that I did.  Should just have accepted and had my t-shirt.  Too hot in the damn gear.

Glad you were able to get in some miles with mask, hopefully Saturday is clear.  Doing 20 miles, I don't want to do in the rain.
    I got a watch once I started trying to track...didn't like the Runkeeper.
    Hmm. My colleague snatched one up when a store was getting rid of a certain brand... bought one for like 20 dollars. 

But I'm not really ready investing in this. But will. First "real" shoes though.

Good, the shoes make things easier.  Hope they work out.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Has anyone else found that their subjective experience of how fast they are going doesn't necessarily match up with the objective evidence?

I sometimes use Strava when I run, and I have seen a disconnect. My perception is that when I start running I'm a bit slow as I warm up, then get into the groove and run faster until I hit a slump about mid-run, when it feels like I've already been running forever and I'm only half way finished. During that period I feel like I'm running through sludge. Then as I get close to being done, maybe the last 20/25%, I get a burst of energy and speed up, with the exception of a long, slow hill I have to do.

However, Strava tells me that actually my speed in that middle part is on average the highest, and I get slower and slower toward the end. We both agree that I'm in tortoise mode going up the hill, though.

Is this common?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Tough for me to say because I look at my watch at least every quarter mile to see if I am at least hitting the minimum target speed....so I'm not waiting to see.  That is an interesting idea to try.  I do find that if I space out and run I am often surprised at what my speed is - regardless of if I thought I was going faster or slower, when I space out I tend to get away from my desired pace in one direction or the other.

Once I finish this marathon I think I will try some running without looking at the watch/changing the display to show things other than speed.  
    Will be curious to see what I learn.
    Also, I suspect that your idea of tortoise mode is different than mine as I know you generally are much faster.
    Tough for me to say because I look at my watch at least every quarter mile to see if I am at least hitting the minimum target speed....so I'm not waiting to see.  That is an interesting idea to try.  I do find that if I space out and run I am often surprised at what my speed is - regardless of if I thought I was going faster or slower, when I space out I tend to get away from my desired pace in one direction or the other.

Once I finish this marathon I think I will try some running without looking at the watch/changing the display to show things other than speed.  
    Will be curious to see what I learn.

I never look while I'm running. I often don't record it at all, but if I do, I set it when I start and then don't review it until I'm done. I have no particular goals around speed or time. 
    Also, I suspect that your idea of tortoise mode is different than mine as I know you generally are much faster.
    I doubt it ;)
    The 20 miles went ok yesterday morning.  Cold out but I warmed up fairly quickly.  Started sputtering before 15 miles, though, and the last three were a grind.  Felt ok yesterday, pretty banged up today - hobbling around like an old man.

Gonna go out for a hike, soon, before it starts raining.  I know walking for an hour will loosen things up and at least make the legs feel better for a while.
    edited November 2020
    I am sorry you are sore today, but 20 miles is awesome. Amazing accomplishment. It is funny that your last 3 grind miles was half of my entire run. I did 6 miles. It was the coldest weather I had ever run in. I was in layers so my body was warm enough. I ended peeling off one of the layers and tying it around my waist. But I learned that I need better gloves in this weather and also a headband for my ears. I wore a hat and I got too warm in it so I took it off. Then I got cold and put it back on and so on several times. Guess I am ordering some new running gear today. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
    Smartwool.  You can order from their site....or from other spots.  The glove liners work well as gloves, or at least for 30 degree weather.
    Was wild yesterday to see my sweat getting "wicked" away from my skin to the outside of the glove and freezing.  Kept wiping the stuff off on my pants or arms.

I took off the jacket she'll that I had for a while but ended up putting back on.  At the end my clothes were all soaked but I stayed warm.

Great job on the 6 miles in the cold weather, check that site out.
    I have two pairs of smartwool socks. They have not made me any smarter but they're good socks. I didn't know the company made other items so will check that out. 
    edited November 2020
    Smartwool.  You can order from their site....or from other spots.  The glove liners work well as gloves, or at least for 30 degree weather.
    Was wild yesterday to see my sweat getting "wicked" away from my skin to the outside of the glove and freezing.  Kept wiping the stuff off on my pants or arms.

I took off the jacket she'll that I had for a while but ended up putting back on.  At the end my clothes were all soaked but I stayed warm.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered the glove liners, a headband, and two pairs of socks from Smartwool.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
    Quality products - I think you will like them!

Has anyone else found that their subjective experience of how fast they are going doesn't necessarily match up with the objective evidence?

I sometimes use Strava when I run, and I have seen a disconnect. My perception is that when I start running I'm a bit slow as I warm up, then get into the groove and run faster until I hit a slump about mid-run, when it feels like I've already been running forever and I'm only half way finished. During that period I feel like I'm running through sludge. Then as I get close to being done, maybe the last 20/25%, I get a burst of energy and speed up, with the exception of a long, slow hill I have to do.

However, Strava tells me that actually my speed in that middle part is on average the highest, and I get slower and slower toward the end. We both agree that I'm in tortoise mode going up the hill, though.

Is this common?
    I just looked at my app for yesterday's run. I was slowest for the first mile, then sped up for the 2nd mile, slowed down a bit for the 3rd mile, and had my fastest speed for the 4th mile, and then slowed down for the 5th and 6th mile, but not as slow as the first mile, and faster than the the 3rd mile. So, out of 6 miles, the first and third mile were the slowest.

GlowGirl said:

Is this common?
    I just looked at my app for yesterday's run. I was slowest for the first mile, then sped up for the 2nd mile, slowed down a bit for the 3rd mile, and had my fastest speed for the 4th mile, and then slowed down for the 5th and 6th mile, but not as slow as the first mile, and faster than the the 3rd mile. So, out of 6 miles, the first and third mile were the slowest.

Is that how it felt to you?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    GlowGirl said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered the glove liners, a headband, and two pairs of socks from Smartwool.

I have maybe 2 dozen different pairs of Smartwool socks. I have ones I can wrar on the hottest days of the year all the way to 30 below. I swear by them.
    Also have 3 different sets of baselayers from them.

Not that it matters but Smartwool is owned by VF. The same company that owns Icebreaker, Timberland, Wrangler, Vans, and many other clothing/footwear brands.

GlowGirl said:

Is this common?

Is that how it felt to you?
    To be honest I haven’t really thought about it. I will pay attention tomorrow. But I would have thought my third mile would have been faster than the second mile like a slow build. But since the third mile is halfway for me maybe that is when I slow down to then build up speed for the second half of the run. It is interesting to analyze. 
    GlowGirl said:

I have maybe 2 dozen different pairs of Smartwool socks. I have ones I can wrar on the hottest days of the year all the way to 30 below. I swear by them.

Not that it matters but Smartwool is owned by VF. The same company that owns Icebreaker, Timberland, Wrangler, Vans, and many other clothing/footwear brands.

Cool. I am looking forward to getting my delivery. I started with two pairs of sockS because wool can sometimes bother me. It itches. So I wanted to check them out first. If I like the socks I will probably get more. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Cool. I am looking forward to getting my delivery. I started with two pairs of sockS because wool can sometimes bother me. It itches. So I wanted to check them out first. If I like the socks I will probably get more. 
    They use merino wool so no itch for most people
    It was a windy run today. It really helped me get my best time on my 2nd mile today. Of course, then I had to (to quote Bob Seger) run against the wind. Overall, I enjoyed it. My hands got a bit cold, but I should be getting my new Smartwool gloves by Thursday. Yay!!!
    Yeah looks like high winds again tomorrow....and 30s or low 40s.  I'm pretty excited.  ;)
    I've started my slow down in mileage for the three weeks preceding the marathon distance.  Not going to hurt my feelings in this weather. 

• Yeah I know. I am a disspointment. But ran on lunchtime and had some weird piercing pain in my lower back. 

And I’m lazy. 

Is back pain a thing, in general, for you?
    Need to pay attention to that, if not.  If you are used to it then likely you already know....