Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    For what it's worth, I see that Brooks has introduced its latest waterproof running shoe, the Ghost GTX. It's $160 (the Goretex shoes cost more than regular ones).

I've never bought a GTX shoe from Brooks (I've tried their ASR shoes -- all-season runners). But I'm really liking the regular Ghost (switched from Adrenalines about 18 months ago) and am a long-time (25 years+) Brooks customer. (No, I'm not paid to say that.)

I think the Goretex shoe could be overkill for most people, but if you live somewhere such as the PNW where it's generally wet, and especially if you like to do trail running, I think it could be money well spent.

Checked and the don't have wide.  No go with regular size....will have to keep my eyes open.
    Dude, perfect time for this thread to go back to shoes... just want to thank you for recommending Brooks. For the first time ever I went to an actual running store. Finally got the time to go this week. They watched me walk and run etc and the girl helping me gave me a dozen options until we got it down to two. She made sure I was sure with how my feet felt which I thought was real cool and meticulous of her. Must've been there an hour. I was starting to breathe hard from all the running to try the shoes she made me try, but was trying to act cool. Lol Sure enough, Brooks was the last one standing. Ended up with the Glycerine. Turns out I'm not full Neanderthal and was only a 2e. They were pretty expensive @ $140, but I said fuck it. Took em for a quick 4 miles today and I've never ran in shoes this fucking comfortable. I have some plantar fasciitis too and these shoes really help embrace the suck. 
    Hey excellent, glad that worked out!!
    Shoes and socks fitting well can make things muchore comfortable!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    For what it's worth, I see that Brooks has introduced its latest waterproof running shoe, the Ghost GTX. It's $160 (the Goretex shoes cost more than regular ones).

I've never bought a GTX shoe from Brooks (I've tried their ASR shoes -- all-season runners). But I'm really liking the regular Ghost (switched from Adrenalines about 18 months ago) and am a long-time (25 years+) Brooks customer. (No, I'm not paid to say that.)

I think the Goretex shoe could be overkill for most people, but if you live somewhere such as the PNW where it's generally wet, and especially if you like to do trail running, I think it could be money well spent.

Checked and the don't have wide.  No go with regular size....will have to keep my eyes open.
    Dude, perfect time for this thread to go back to shoes... just want to thank you for recommending Brooks. For the first time ever I went to an actual running store. Finally got the time to go this week. They watched me walk and run etc and the girl helping me gave me a dozen options until we got it down to two. She made sure I was sure with how my feet felt which I thought was real cool and meticulous of her. Must've been there an hour. I was starting to breathe hard from all the running to try the shoes she made me try, but was trying to act cool. Lol Sure enough, Brooks was the last one standing. Ended up with the Glycerine. Turns out I'm not full Neanderthal and was only a 2e. They were pretty expensive @ $140, but I said fuck it. Took em for a quick 4 miles today and I've never ran in shoes this fucking comfortable. I have some plantar fasciitis too and these shoes really help embrace the suck. 
    Awesome. Getting your stride evaluated is key. It sounds like you found the perfect pair. It makes all the difference. I know they are expensive. I have spent hundreds on running shoes in the last few years, especially since you need to change them out fairly often if you are a regular runner. I get new shoes every 7-8 months or so. I know some people only wear theirs for 6 months. I don’t put on as many miles as several people do here so they may change out their shoes more often. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    GlowGirl said:

Awesome. Getting your stride evaluated is key. It sounds like you found the perfect pair. It makes all the difference. I know they are expensive. I have spent hundreds on running shoes in the last few years, especially since you need to change them out fairly often if you are a regular runner. I get new shoes every 7-8 months or so. I know some people only wear theirs for 6 months. I don’t put on as many miles as several people do here so they may change out their shoes more often. 

I aim to use my shoes for 400 miles. Some don't last that long. They are expensive, but the right shoe makes a big difference, e.g., I had knee pain until I ditched Nikes for Brooks. I think I mentioned before that I try to buy last season's shoes on sale whenever I can -- so if I can pick up Brooks Levitates for $100 instead of $150, I do it (I have a large stash at this point). I don't cut corners on my running shoes, just as I never would compromise on buying the right mattress. It's money well spent, IMO.

Help your shoes last longer by:

1) keeping at least two pairs in active rotation, especially if you run daily and/or you sweat a lot; letting the shoes rest an extra day lets the support recover more completely, especially if the shoes are wet.

2) use them only for running -- no lifting, no tennis, no errands, no casual Friday, just running. When they're too worn out for running, you can use them for yardwork or casual attire or whatever, if you choose.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    GlowGirl said:

I aim to use my shoes for 400 miles. Some don't last that long. They are expensive, but the right shoe makes a big difference, e.g., I had knee pain until I ditched Nikes for Brooks. I think I mentioned before that I try to buy last season's shoes on sale whenever I can -- so if I can pick up Brooks Levitates for $100 instead of $150, I do it (I have a large stash at this point). I don't cut corners on my running shoes, just as I never would compromise on buying the right mattress. It's money well spent, IMO.

Help your shoes last longer by:

1) keeping at least two pairs in active rotation, especially if you run daily and/or you sweat a lot; letting the shoes rest an extra day lets the support recover more completely, especially if the shoes are wet.

2) use them only for running -- no lifting, no tennis, no errands, no casual Friday, just running. When they're too worn out for running, you can use them for yardwork or casual attire or whatever, if you choose.
    Great advice. 400 miles is about when I change out my shoes as well. I also only use them for running. According to my running app I have run 365 miles since mid March. So with my 15-20 miles per week I will hit 400 in about 2 weeks. So, I am right on schedule for about 8 months. I know some of you all do 15-20 miles in a day. Shoe rotations must be pretty often for that kind of mileage. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    Finally getting to run an actual race this weekend. There is a trail 5K in Evansville Indiana Saturday. With the exception of a July 4th race, since March all of my other races were cancelled or turned into virtual races. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Finally getting to run an actual race this weekend. There is a trail 5K in Evansville Indiana Saturday. With the exception of a July 4th race, since March all of my other races were cancelled or turned into virtual races. 

#1 - I am glad for you, personally.  Have run too many virtual races this year and have 1 more + the marathon that was outright cancelled (no virtual) that I am doing myself.  FSM knows I wish that I could have other people running in a group, soon.

#2 -- some group sanctioned a race in July? 

#3 -- Seems a totally crazy thing to organize right now.  Indiana reported 1281 new cases last update I can see and 16 new deaths.  Seems like this is still an issue there, as it is most places.

Hope everyone is healthy who races and watches and that everyone is healthy a few weeks after.  As much as I think it is foolish for any group to organize/sanction this I do wish that we could get back to safely doing this, all over.'

Since you are clearly already booked and committed -- good luck, have a great run, and put in a PR.

#1 - I am glad for you, personally.  Have run too many virtual races this year and have 1 more + the marathon that was outright cancelled (no virtual) that I am doing myself.  FSM knows I wish that I could have other people running in a group, soon.

#2 -- some group sanctioned a race in July? 

#3 -- Seems a totally crazy thing to organize right now.  Indiana reported 1281 new cases last update I can see and 16 new deaths.  Seems like this is still an issue there, as it is most places.

Hope everyone is healthy who races and watches and that everyone is healthy a few weeks after.  As much as I think it is foolish for any group to organize/sanction this I do wish that we could get back to safely doing this, all over.'

Since you are clearly already booked and committed -- good luck, have a great run, and put in a PR.
    The July race had a limited amount of entries. There were a bunch of restrictions. No congregating before or after the race, with masks required before and after the race. They started us in small waves every 30 seconds or so and had us keep our distance while running except when actually passing someone, and even then we were told to give plenty of space. A number of people were wearing masks while running. Under the circumstances, I think it was as safe as possible. The race on Saturday has a lot of the same restrictions.       
    Well good luck, I don't have to agree with the concept to hope that you enjoy it and that everyone is safe.

Cannot wait until I feel comfortable to do the same.  

Let us know how you did!
    Well good luck, I don't have to agree with the concept to hope that you enjoy it and that everyone is safe.

Let us know how you did!
    Thanks, good luck running your marathon. I ran a half last fall, but I haven't worked up the nerve to run a full yet. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Just hit a trail for the first time in probably 2 years.  Went easy and maxed myself to ten minutes (1.1 miles).  Back feels good.  Hernia surgery area feels good.  I ll try to go up a minute or two next time out. This definitely isn’t the elliptical!!! Lol 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Nice!
    That is a good pace, try to extend the distance vs getting faster one mile times.....work that heart!
    Nice!
    That is a good pace, try to extend the distance vs getting faster one mile times.....work that heart!
    So increase distance before time? .2 mile increments the way to go?
    Not sure on incremental gains....think with low mileage you can probably go up a quarter mile or so each time until you are uncomfortable and then stay there for a while.
    Nice!
    That is what I have been doing over the past few months. I have been increasing my distance to almost double - but my average time per mile is basically the same. Now that I found a distance I want to stay at for a while, I will try harder to increase the time.

Not sure on incremental gains....think with low mileage you can probably go up a quarter mile or so each time until you are uncomfortable and then stay there for a while.
    Will do!  Thanks for the advice.  
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2020
    Haven’t been on here in a while. Got injured... strain in the left glute caused all kinds of problems. Was walking funny for a while 😂 
    Great physiotherapist helped... dry needling and all. 
    Of course, I won’t be doing the half-marathon we had scheduled in a couple weeks. That sucks but oh well. I’ll do the 10k and have fun with it 👍

• Jogged at lunch today.. I'm down to like one struggling run a week now... but I have had a sore throat and some kind of cold that never got going (Trump micro covid?)... 

But yeah... will try to get out twice this week. Before the rain and cold.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Haven’t been on here in a while. Got injured... strain in the left glute caused all kinds of problems. Was walking funny for a while 😂 
    Great physiotherapist helped... dry needling and all. 
    Of course, I won’t be doing the half-marathon we had scheduled in a couple weeks. That sucks but oh well. I’ll do the 10k and have fun with it 👍

Hope you heal up quickly - sorry about missing the half but glad you can still do the 10k.

Jogged at lunch today.. I'm down to like one struggling run a week now... but I have had a sore throat and some kind of cold that never got going (Trump micro covid?)... 

But yeah... will try to get out twice this week. Before the rain and cold.

There is no try....there is only do!  Yoda will get you there.

mcgruff10 said:

I thought about this some and might amend...perhaps you can run for 30 mins.  Clearly you will need to go more slowly when you start, and perhaps mix in some walking time as part of that 30...but I would try 30 minutes.  Then once you can go 30 w/o stopping for a bunch of times you can worry about time and trying to pick up the pace.  I think the sustained activity vs. the faster pace for shorter time might be better for you.
    Not based on medical advice or references I just reviewed, only on what I think based on stuff I have read/heard in the past after reflecting on your question.
    (Nothing wrong with the other way, either.)

GlowGirl said:
    Nice!
    That is what I have been doing over the past few months. I have been increasing my distance to almost double - but my average time per mile is basically the same. Now that I found a distance I want to stay at for a while, I will try harder to increase the time.

The distance improvement is impressive!
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I did 11km today. I try to get out every day and do something. I just put something in my ears and go, usually for the duration of a full album I gess.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    Good work!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    mcgruff10 said:

You might want to try out a "Couch to 5K" training plan -- you aren't sedentary, but such a plan would help you build your distance/ time on your feet without risking injury or making the experience so unpleasant that you give up. You might be able to skip the earliest phase of such a plan. Keep in mind though that a common rule of thumb is to increase your mileage by ten percent/week. So, just as you wouldn't go from squatting with just the bar to throwing on 300 lbs....
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    GlowGirl said:
    Nice!

The distance improvement is impressive!
    Thanks. But I am constantly amazed by your distance and some of the other long distance runners on here. 7 miles for me is a huge effort, so when I hear 15 miles or 18 miles I am so impressed by that.

Just a matter of putting in the miles to work up to it.  Went 13 miles this morning as a step back week on my program and while it still felt like hard work, knowing I go 19 miles next Saturday makes this an easier one 
    Ankle still fuckerood but holding up.  

Let us know how you did!
    Well no PR. I turned my ankle on a tree root and fell once. I  enjoyed that so much I tried to do it 2 more times, but managed to not fall those times. 🤣 To add to the  fun I made a wrong turn coming out of the woods and ran part of the half marathon course, so instead of 3.1 miles I ran around 4.5. 🙄 On the bright side I still managed to finish 18th out of 30 runners even with the extra mileage. 🤷‍♂️
    Dang sounds like a rough go.  Way to hang tough and finish!
    Hey. I wanted to ask some of you more seasoned runners advice on proper running posture. For some reason during my run today I started thinking about my posture and noticed that I tend to pitch my upper body a bit forward when I run. I was looking at other runners and saw that some did that, while others had their back straighter. I tried running with my back straighter and it seemed to make the running easier, but then when I stopped paying attention I pitched a bit forward again. Do any of you know anything about this issue in terms of if it is better to run with your back completely strait or a bit of angle, etc. Advice?
    I have no idea - @curmudgeoness seems to have lots of knowledge on running....
    I just did a bit of research - which I could have done in the first place. But I do like hearing from people on here about these types of issues. Anyway, I found this illustration. I think my lower body uses correct form, but I need to focus on keeping my torso more upright when I run. It did seem to make running easier when I focused on straightening my back today, but it doesn't come naturally to me. I definitely seem to lean my torso forward. I need to work on that. It's interesting because when I am standing or walking I have good posture in terms of standing up straight.

Different location today. Lots of turns but anyway......1.2 miles in 12:20.   Slow as can be but kept the body going.