Police abuse

Comments

• Randy Paul's introduction of legislation was a political stunt, as he knows full well that it would never pass the Senate, being controlled by the party of state's rights and all. Just another empty gesture by the gRand Stander. If he had real moral courage, he'd be advocating for accountability via DOJ reform and getting more than two co-sponsers. Hell, there are 50+ repubs in the senate.

Police in the United States kill far more people than do police in other advanced industrial democracies (13). While a substantial body of evidence shows that people of color, especially African Americans, are at greater risk for experiencing criminal justice contact and police-involved harm than are whites (1419), we lack basic estimates of the prevalence of police-involved deaths, largely due to the absence of definitive official data. Journalists have stepped into this void and initiated a series of systematic efforts to track police-involved killings. These data enable a richer understanding of the geographic and demographic patterning of police violence (17) and an evaluation of the magnitude of exposure to police violence over the life course.

Our results show that people of color face a higher likelihood of being killed by police than do white men and women, that risk peaks in young adulthood, and that men of color face a nontrivial lifetime risk of being killed by police.

displays the ratio of lifetime risk for each racial–ethnic group relative to risk for whites for both men and women. Note that a rate ratio of 1 indicates equality in mortality risk relative to whites. The highest levels of inequality in mortality risk are experienced by black men. Black men are about 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police over the life course than are white men. Black women are about 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women. Although risks are estimated with less precision for American Indian/Alaska Native men and women than for other groups, we show that they face a higher lifetime risk of being killed by police than do whites. American Indian men are between 1.2 and 1.7 times more likely to be killed by police than are white men, and American Indian women are between 1.1 and 2.1 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women. Latino men are between 1.3 and 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white men, but Latina women are between 12% and 23% less likely to be killed by police than are white women. Both Asian/Pacific Islander men and women are more than 50% less likely to be killed by police than are white men and women, respectively.

Among all groups, black men and boys face the highest lifetime risk of being killed by police. Our models predict that about 1 in 1,000 black men and boys will be killed by police over the life course (96 [77, 120] per 100,000). We predict that between 36 and 81 American Indian/Alaska Native men and boys per 100,000 will be killed by police over the life course. Latino men and boys have an estimated risk of being killed by police of about 53 per 100,000 [41, 67]. Asian/Pacific Islander men and boys face a lifetime risk of between 9 and 23 per 100,000, while white men and boys face a lifetime risk of about 39 [31, 48] per 100,000.

Between the ages of 25 y and 29 y, black men are killed by police at a rate between 2.8 and 4.1 per 100,000, American Indian and Alaska Native men are killed at a rate between 1.5 and 2.8 per 100,000, Asian/Pacific Islander men are killed by police at a rate between 0.3 and 0.6 per 100,000, Latino men at a rate between 1.4 and 2.2 per 100,000, and white men at a rate between 0.9 and 1.4 per 100,000. Inequalities in risk persist throughout the life course.

Our analysis shows that the risk of being killed by police is jointly patterned by one’s race, gender, and age. Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men, and young men of color face exceptionally high risk of being killed by police. Inequalities in risk are pronounced throughout the life course. This study reinforces calls to treat police violence as a public health issue (14). Racially unequal exposure to the risk of state violence has profound consequences for public health, democracy, and racial stratification (57911).

The absence of authoritative official data is a key challenge in reducing police violence. The Bureau of Justice Statistics should renew efforts to develop comprehensive systems to track officer-involved deaths (440). Both the public interest and social science are served by increasing transparency with regard to police use of force. Using such data, the research community has made strides in identifying officers most at risk of being involved in cases of excessive force (41) and system failures that result in civilian deaths (42).

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793
    What I found interesting is the same age across the board are being killed by cops. 20-30yo is peak ages of DBC.

What I couldn't find the data on to back up the quote was "Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men, and young men of color face exceptionally high risk of being killed by police. Inequalities in risk are pronounced throughout the life course. This study reinforces calls to treat police violence as a public health issue."

Cops are the leading cause of death to young men?  Not suicides, drugs or car crashes?

This is an interesting article.  I'll have to sift through the data to digest more of it.
  • dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Well that didn’t take long. Just heard 2 Louisville officers already shot.
    Ugh...it was one when I got in the shower. Gonna be a shit show. Wait until the other cops (not Chauvin) get off in the Floyd case. 
    That’s what makes me feel so depressed about this.  Many of us are convinced the cops in all of these cases will get off without significant jail time.  I have a hard time seeing how Chauvin is not given a guilty verdict considering it was in plain sight of what he did to George Floyd.
    I think Chauvin will be convicted, and the cops that were with him won’t. 
    Either way , cities will be destroyed. Apparently murdering cops and “burning it down” is the only way. 
    No cities have been destroyed or will be destroyed. A few businesses are not a city.
    You see NYC?  People are leaving it by the tens of thousands.  A mix of covid and the protests and people have had enough.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited September 2020
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Ugh...it was one when I got in the shower. Gonna be a shit show. Wait until the other cops (not Chauvin) get off in the Floyd case. 
    That’s what makes me feel so depressed about this.  Many of us are convinced the cops in all of these cases will get off without significant jail time.  I have a hard time seeing how Chauvin is not given a guilty verdict considering it was in plain sight of what he did to George Floyd.
    Either way , cities will be destroyed. Apparently murdering cops and “burning it down” is the only way. 
    No cities have been destroyed or will be destroyed. A few businesses are not a city.
    You see NYC?  People are leaving it by the tens of thousands.  A mix of covid and the protests and people have had enough.
    You have any data on that? I highly doubt people are leaving NYC by the tens of thousands because of protests, pretty far fetched.

And even if people are leaving, that is nowhere near destroying a city. 

I can't believe people are buying Trumps nonsense that cities are being destroyed. 
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You have any data on that? I highly doubt people are leaving NYC by the tens of thousands because of protests, pretty far fetched.

I can't believe people are buying Trumps nonsense that cities are being destroyed. 
    Where do you live? Chicago on a Saturday night is a ghost town. Businesses closed, restaurants empty...building still boarded up because it’s not a matter of if but when the looters strike again...the city is being destroyed.
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You have any data in that? I highly doubt people are leaving NYC by the tens of thousands because of protests, pretty far fetched.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/nyregion/nyc-suburbs-housing-demand.html

The data will be coming soon on how many left here.
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You have any data in that? I highly doubt people are leaving NYC by the tens of thousands because of protests, pretty far fetched.

Quick search of that article yields zero mentions of 'protest' or 'violence'.

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yeah, did the same thing.

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Where do you live? Chicago on a Saturday night is a ghost town. Businesses closed, restaurants empty...building still boarded up because it’s not a matter of if but when the looters strike again...the city is being destroyed.
    Most cities are a ghost town on Saturday nights. I know I don't go out anymore and it has nothing to do with protesters.

There is a pandemic right now 
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Due to Covid and the realization that you can "work from home" from almost anywhere and not have to deal with a long commute, public transportation and the teeming masses. Plus, trade your 1,200 sq ft apartment for a 4,000 sq ft house in the burbs or upstate for less than half of your monthly rent. Both employees and employers are learning this and its because of Covid, not rioters, protesters and looters destroying cities. Major metropolitan areas will be re-invented if an when things return to "normal."
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yes I understand that, I am showing you that people ARE leaving NYC in droves though.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Randy Paul's introduction of legislation was a political stunt, as he knows full well that it would never pass the Senate, being controlled by the party of state's rights and all. Just another empty gesture by the gRand Stander. If he had real moral courage, he'd be advocating for accountability via DOJ reform and getting more than two co-sponsers. Hell, there are 50+ repubs in the senate.

Police in the United States kill far more people than do police in other advanced industrial democracies (13). While a substantial body of evidence shows that people of color, especially African Americans, are at greater risk for experiencing criminal justice contact and police-involved harm than are whites (1419), we lack basic estimates of the prevalence of police-involved deaths, largely due to the absence of definitive official data. Journalists have stepped into this void and initiated a series of systematic efforts to track police-involved killings. These data enable a richer understanding of the geographic and demographic patterning of police violence (17) and an evaluation of the magnitude of exposure to police violence over the life course.

Our results show that people of color face a higher likelihood of being killed by police than do white men and women, that risk peaks in young adulthood, and that men of color face a nontrivial lifetime risk of being killed by police.

displays the ratio of lifetime risk for each racial–ethnic group relative to risk for whites for both men and women. Note that a rate ratio of 1 indicates equality in mortality risk relative to whites. The highest levels of inequality in mortality risk are experienced by black men. Black men are about 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police over the life course than are white men. Black women are about 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women. Although risks are estimated with less precision for American Indian/Alaska Native men and women than for other groups, we show that they face a higher lifetime risk of being killed by police than do whites. American Indian men are between 1.2 and 1.7 times more likely to be killed by police than are white men, and American Indian women are between 1.1 and 2.1 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women. Latino men are between 1.3 and 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white men, but Latina women are between 12% and 23% less likely to be killed by police than are white women. Both Asian/Pacific Islander men and women are more than 50% less likely to be killed by police than are white men and women, respectively.

Among all groups, black men and boys face the highest lifetime risk of being killed by police. Our models predict that about 1 in 1,000 black men and boys will be killed by police over the life course (96 [77, 120] per 100,000). We predict that between 36 and 81 American Indian/Alaska Native men and boys per 100,000 will be killed by police over the life course. Latino men and boys have an estimated risk of being killed by police of about 53 per 100,000 [41, 67]. Asian/Pacific Islander men and boys face a lifetime risk of between 9 and 23 per 100,000, while white men and boys face a lifetime risk of about 39 [31, 48] per 100,000.

Between the ages of 25 y and 29 y, black men are killed by police at a rate between 2.8 and 4.1 per 100,000, American Indian and Alaska Native men are killed at a rate between 1.5 and 2.8 per 100,000, Asian/Pacific Islander men are killed by police at a rate between 0.3 and 0.6 per 100,000, Latino men at a rate between 1.4 and 2.2 per 100,000, and white men at a rate between 0.9 and 1.4 per 100,000. Inequalities in risk persist throughout the life course.

Our analysis shows that the risk of being killed by police is jointly patterned by one’s race, gender, and age. Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men, and young men of color face exceptionally high risk of being killed by police. Inequalities in risk are pronounced throughout the life course. This study reinforces calls to treat police violence as a public health issue (14). Racially unequal exposure to the risk of state violence has profound consequences for public health, democracy, and racial stratification (57911).

The absence of authoritative official data is a key challenge in reducing police violence. The Bureau of Justice Statistics should renew efforts to develop comprehensive systems to track officer-involved deaths (440). Both the public interest and social science are served by increasing transparency with regard to police use of force. Using such data, the research community has made strides in identifying officers most at risk of being involved in cases of excessive force (41) and system failures that result in civilian deaths (42).

What I found interesting is the same age across the board are being killed by cops. 20-30yo is peak ages of DBC.

What I couldn't find the data on to back up the quote was "Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men, and young men of color face exceptionally high risk of being killed by police. Inequalities in risk are pronounced throughout the life course. This study reinforces calls to treat police violence as a public health issue."

Cops are the leading cause of death to young men?  Not suicides, drugs or car crashes?

This is an interesting article.  I'll have to sift through the data to digest more of it.
    Yeah, that doesn't make any sense to me. Cops is no where near the top. Homicides, suicide, car crashes, drugs and many more are going to be much higher. 
    That 1 in 1000 number seems way off too. with nearly 50 million blacks in America there's no way 1 in a thousand black men are killed by police. What is probably accurate is 1 in 1000 deaths of young black men is by police, that seams plausible.  Not that 1 in 1000 black men die from police. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    edited September 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Randy Paul's introduction of legislation was a political stunt, as he knows full well that it would never pass the Senate, being controlled by the party of state's rights and all. Just another empty gesture by the gRand Stander. If he had real moral courage, he'd be advocating for accountability via DOJ reform and getting more than two co-sponsers. Hell, there are 50+ repubs in the senate.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense to me. Cops is no where near the top. Homicides, suicide, car crashes, drugs and many more are going to be much higher. 
    That 1 in 1000 number seems way off too. with nearly 50 million blacks in America there's no way 1 in a thousand black men are killed by police. What is probably accurate is 1 in 1000 deaths of young black men is by police, that seams plausible.  Not that 1 in 1000 black men die from police. 
    Its a risk assessment over the course of their lives, not hard numbers like fatalities from drug overdoses, car crashes, homicide and suicide. Chance, not certainty. "Among the leading causes of death." Not the number 1 or 2 or maybe even 3, but among the leading causes for young men of color. Its a predictive model because the police aren't required nor are deaths caused by the police officially compiled with uniform collection and reporting methods, like suicide, murder, drug overdoses, car accidents are. The first part of understanding a problem and how to address it is to understand it. DOJ, police unions and the CDC aren't interested in that. And that's part of the problem.

We use data on police-involved deaths to estimate how the risk of being killed by police use of force in the United States varies across social groups. We estimate the lifetime and age-specific risks of being killed by police by race and sex. We also provide estimates of the proportion of all deaths accounted for by police use of force. We find that African American men and women, American Indian/Alaska Native men and women, and Latino men face higher lifetime risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. We find that Latina women and Asian/Pacific Islander men and women face lower risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. Risk is highest for black men, who (at current levels of risk) face about a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over the life course. The average lifetime odds of being killed by police are about 1 in 2,000 for men and about 1 in 33,000 for women. Risk peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for all groups. For young men of color, police use of force is among the leading causes of death.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©

• dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yes I understand that, I am showing you that people ARE leaving NYC in droves though.

... because of covid though, not the mix of covid and protests that you claimed.
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Most cities are a ghost town on Saturday nights. I know I don't go out anymore and it has nothing to do with protesters.

Looters, rioters, and gang bangers who have no fear of punishment at the current time are not protesters.

• dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

... because of covid though, not the mix of covid and protests that you claimed.
    When i have a neighbor that just moved in the area say to me "i'm tired of the protests and all the other shit going on" I chalk that up as that.  Come visit, I'll introduce you to these people.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Looters, rioters, and gang bangers who have no fear of punishment at the current time are not protesters.
    Okay, change protesters to looters. Doesn't change the fact that there is a pandemic happening and that's why nightlife is virtually nonexistent.

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

When i have a neighbor that just moved in the area say to me "i'm tired of the protests and all the other shit going on" I chalk that up as that.  Come visit, I'll introduce you to these people.
    Tens of thousands?
  • dignin said:

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Tens of thousands?
    My quote was this "You see NYC?  People are leaving it by the tens of thousands.  A mix of covid and the protests and people have had enough."

I did say a mix, so you must have missed that part.  I bring up the neighbors because this is what they told me.  Local news stated 250,000 people have left the city.

• dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Thanks, I have my own people in NYC I talk to, including a cousin who owns 2 bars & a coffee shop. What they tell me carries way more weight than someone here, but I appreciate the offer all the same.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    edited September 2020
    This article explains the methodology of how the WaPo came up with the numbers on fatal police shootings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/?itid=hp-top-table-main

In 2015, The Washington Post began to log every fatal shooting by an on-duty police officer in the United States. In that time there have been more than 5,000 such shootings recorded by The Post.

After Michael Brown, an unarmed Black man, was killed in 2014 by police in Ferguson, Mo., a Post investigation found that the FBI undercounted fatal police shootings by more than half. This is because reporting by police departments is voluntary and many departments fail to do so.

The Post’s data relies primarily on news accounts, social media postings and police reports. Analysis of more than five years of data reveals that the number and circumstances of fatal shootings and the overall demographics of the victims have remained relatively constant.

Rate of shootings remains steady

Despite the unpredictable events that lead to fatal shootings, police nationwide have shot and killed almost the same number of people annually — nearly 1,000 — since The Post began its project. Probability theory may offer an explanation. It holds that the quantity of rare events in huge populations tends to remain stable absent major societal changes, such as a fundamental shift in police culture or extreme restrictions on gun ownership.

Black Americans are killed at a much higher rate than White Americans

Although half of the people shot and killed by police are White, Black Americans are shot at a disproportionate rate. They account for less than 13 percent of the U.S. population, but are killed by police at more than twice the rate of White Americans. Hispanic Americans are also killed by police at a disproportionate rate.

The rate at which black Americans are killed by police is more than twice as high as the rate for white Americans.

Most victims are young, male

An overwhelming majority of people shot and killed by police are male — over 95 percent. More than half the victims are between 20 and 40 years old.

Victims by age

Search the database

This database contains records of every fatal shooting in the United States by a police officer in the line of duty since Jan. 1, 2015. It is updated regularly as fatal shootings are reported and as facts emerge about individual cases.

Brilliantati©

• dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

Thanks, I have my own people in NYC I talk to, including a cousin who owns 2 bars & a coffee shop. What they tell me carries way more weight than someone here, but I appreciate the offer all the same.

Like I mentioned to Dignin I did say a "mix of covid and protests".
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    What the cops getting off really shows?  Need systemic changes in the laws and law enforcement procedures.  If they are getting off because they followed their proper procedures, etc....then those need changed pronto.
    ^ This

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    I think the abandonment of NYC is about the pandemic. Most people want more space; I'd even bet that most people would prefer a more rural lifestyle.  If they don't believe they'll have to be at their Manhattan office every day, they'd rather pay half the money for twice the space.  This might be a good thing for people who want to live in cities; housing costs may go down...then again, you'll see a lot of restaurants, etc., closing.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    OnWis97 said:
    I think the abandonment of NYC is about the pandemic. Most people want more space; I'd even bet that most people would prefer a more rural lifestyle.  If they don't believe they'll have to be at their Manhattan office every day, they'd rather pay half the money for twice the space.  This might be a good thing for people who want to live in cities; housing costs may go down...then again, you'll see a lot of restaurants, etc., closing.
    don't a shitload of people commute into Manhattan? or are they saying people are actually leaving their NYC homes/apartments?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    OnWis97 said:
    It has a lot to do with the uptick in crime. Believe me. I’m here. I hear it all the time. People don’t feel safe anymore. 
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Wells Fargo fucks everybody..just sayin
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    maybe we need to have a licensing system for police. health care professionals have to have a license. they can kill you if they make a mistake same as cops. maybe if we license these people, if they kill someone or abuse someone they lose their license and cannot work in law enforcement anymore.

just throwing that out there. i heard someone mention that today and thought it was a decent idea.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."