• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

Trump tells Republicans to use 'nuclear option' to confirm supreme court pick

On Wednesday, Trump explicitly backed Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell if he decides to use this “nuclear option” maneuver. “Yes, if we end up with the same gridlock we’ve had in Washington for longer than eight years, in all fairness to President Obama, a lot longer than eight years,” he said in the White House.

“If we end up with that gridlock, I would say, ‘If you can, Mitch, go nuclear.’ Because that would would be an absolute shame if a man of this quality was put up to that neglect. I would say it’s up to Mitch, but I would say, ‘Go for it.’”

POS

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/01/neil-gorsuch-donald-trump-congress-nuclear-option
    I may not align well with Gorsuch, but I at least thought he was a normal conservative judge pick that 20 years earlier probably would have skated through the process, but after the Garland debacle, Dems were pissed. Kavanaugh was a complete partisan hack. No matter what his legal expertise, he showed his true colors. He should not be a justice. So the stage is set to go even further right with this justice.

The universe sure is one fucked up place. Who would have thought one of the worst presidents would end up getting the chance to pick 1/3 of the court in less than 4 years. I sure hope there are some changes made to the process that limits a president's ability to stack the court. The pendulum must be about ready to swing back any day now and you know conservatives will not like it, but they've really come at this as a team approach the last 10 years. The fact that people are so stuck on one party is so odd to me.
    Actually won't 5 justices be appointed by presidents that did not win the majority vote?  Assuming 3 tRump and 2 Bush
    Weird since the majority vote doesn't matter in a presidential election to even bring it up.
    Trump has exposed how fucked up our system is.
    The Founders were afraid of the tyranny of the majority.  Look at what was happening in France at that moment in history. 
    the founders did not account for the tyranny of the minority. how can a party that has lost popular votes in the last several elections and only holds the white house and the senate continually screw over the majority who voted against them?
    Exactly right. It is time to address the tyranny of the minority. The founders fucked that one up. They weren't infallible, after all, and naturally couldn't see every consequence of their framework.

Time to clean up those mistakes.  And hopefully do do with vigor, strength, and commitment. 
    Easy to say,  yet I haven't heard any great ideas that don't have effects that can be s bad or worse than today.  At least none that have a chance to actually happen under this Constitution. 

If Biden wins and dems take the 4 R seats they are leading in the polls there are many things that can be done to get better odds in the senate and Judiciary.

End the filibuster for all judiciary matters.  Start adding SCJs. There is no constitutional provision prohibiting it. 9 Justices is from law and laws are passed all the time.

End the filibuster for statehood. Immediately admit PR and DC. Create North and South California. This will add 6 likely democratic senators and give democrats a better long term chance at holding the senate. This could eventually swing the senate and statehood enough to think about amending the constitution. 

All of the above is perfectly constitutional. But dems are too worried about "established norms " instead of doing anything possible to represent its constituents. 
    I'd be down with all of these.  I think the Dems can govern from center left but be aggressive in expanding its power 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

On Wednesday, Trump explicitly backed Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell if he decides to use this “nuclear option” maneuver. “Yes, if we end up with the same gridlock we’ve had in Washington for longer than eight years, in all fairness to President Obama, a lot longer than eight years,” he said in the White House.

“If we end up with that gridlock, I would say, ‘If you can, Mitch, go nuclear.’ Because that would would be an absolute shame if a man of this quality was put up to that neglect. I would say it’s up to Mitch, but I would say, ‘Go for it.’”

POS

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/01/neil-gorsuch-donald-trump-congress-nuclear-option
    I may not align well with Gorsuch, but I at least thought he was a normal conservative judge pick that 20 years earlier probably would have skated through the process, but after the Garland debacle, Dems were pissed. Kavanaugh was a complete partisan hack. No matter what his legal expertise, he showed his true colors. He should not be a justice. So the stage is set to go even further right with this justice.

The universe sure is one fucked up place. Who would have thought one of the worst presidents would end up getting the chance to pick 1/3 of the court in less than 4 years. I sure hope there are some changes made to the process that limits a president's ability to stack the court. The pendulum must be about ready to swing back any day now and you know conservatives will not like it, but they've really come at this as a team approach the last 10 years. The fact that people are so stuck on one party is so odd to me.
    Actually won't 5 justices be appointed by presidents that did not win the majority vote?  Assuming 3 tRump and 2 Bush
    Weird since the majority vote doesn't matter in a presidential election to even bring it up.
    The Founders were afraid of the tyranny of the majority.  Look at what was happening in France at that moment in history. 
    the founders did not account for the tyranny of the minority. how can a party that has lost popular votes in the last several elections and only holds the white house and the senate continually screw over the majority who voted against them?
    Exactly right. It is time to address the tyranny of the minority. The founders fucked that one up. They weren't infallible, after all, and naturally couldn't see every consequence of their framework.
    The system was initially setup so that wealthy male property owners had more representation.  I’m not positive that the founders wouldn’t like a bunch of rich republicans running the show.
    Yeah, sure, the founders would want a bunch of rich republicans who look the other way when the president acts more like a king than a president to be running the show. Suuuuuuuure they would. 
    The main reason for leaving England was so they could keep more money, the dream of “we the people” was sold separately to whip up support and not originally intended to be applied to all.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

The system was initially setup so that wealthy male property owners had more representation.  I’m not positive that the founders wouldn’t like a bunch of rich republicans running the show.
    Yeah, sure, the founders would want a bunch of rich republicans who look the other way when the president acts more like a king than a president to be running the show. Suuuuuuuure they would. 
    The main reason for leaving England was so they could keep more money, the dream of “we the people” was sold separately to whip up support and not originally intended to be applied to all.
    lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Well, "we" always meant WASPs originally. 
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Well, "we" always meant WASPs originally. 
    Yep
    Scio me nihil scire

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Time to clean up those mistakes.  And hopefully do do with vigor, strength, and commitment. 
    Easy to say,  yet I haven't heard any great ideas that don't have effects that can be s bad or worse than today.  At least none that have a chance to actually happen under this Constitution. 

If Biden wins and dems take the 4 R seats they are leading in the polls there are many things that can be done to get better odds in the senate and Judiciary.

End the filibuster for all judiciary matters.  Start adding SCJs. There is no constitutional provision prohibiting it. 9 Justices is from law and laws are passed all the time.

End the filibuster for statehood. Immediately admit PR and DC. Create North and South California. This will add 6 likely democratic senators and give democrats a better long term chance at holding the senate. This could eventually swing the senate and statehood enough to think about amending the constitution. 

All of the above is perfectly constitutional. But dems are too worried about "established norms " instead of doing anything possible to represent its constituents. 

LOL.  I'm laughing at myself.  I'm am so knee-jerk against splitting up my home state.  How would splitting California- which would very likely create a new red state (Southern California)- be good for the country?.  How would it be good for California? 

And what are the arguments against making California, Oregon and Washington a separate nation?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bootlegbootleg Posts: 433
    I think the concept of splitting California is because the Senate will continue to skew towards a minority of the population.  California has like 40 mil people and gets 2 senators.  North and South Dakota have about 1.5 million people combined and they get 4 senators.  Add in Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, WV, Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho, and your at about half the population of California.  That’s 18 senators to California’s 2 yet representing only half the amount of people.  Hence why things that a majority of people want can never get done because there is unequal representation in govt.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    bootleg said:
    I think the concept of splitting California is because the Senate will continue to skew towards a minority of the population.  California has like 40 mil people and gets 2 senators.  North and South Dakota have about 1.5 million people combined and they get 4 senators.  Add in Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, WV, Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho, and your at about half the population of California.  That’s 18 senators to California’s 2 yet representing only half the amount of people.  Hence why things that a majority of people want can never get done because there is unequal representation in govt.

That's one view on it, but you have to look at the legislative branch as a whole.     When they were creating the United States, there was very much concern the small states would run all over the small ones.   Thus they created two legislative chambers.  The House is elected based on population of the state, and the Senate evens the playing field by putting all states on equal footing.  Laws need to pass through both chambers and reflect both population and geography.

As a Canadian, our government overly focuses on the needs of Ontario and Quebec.   Our two most populous provinces.    What I wouldn't given to have our Senate do something like that, so that it's a bit more of a level playing field.   Because of the timezones most people make jokes by the time our votes start getting counted, because they won't count for anything :(
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    bootleg said:

Dang!  That's just screwy! 

I still hate the idea of spitting up California.  I'm old, stubborn, and for better or worse, was born in- and still am in- a California goooooove!  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bootlegbootleg Posts: 433
    Zod said:
    bootleg said:

That's one view on it, but you have to look at the legislative branch as a whole.     When they were creating the United States, there was very much concern the small states would run all over the small ones.   Thus they created two legislative chambers.  The House is elected based on population of the state, and the Senate evens the playing field by putting all states on equal footing.  Laws need to pass through both chambers and reflect both population and geography.

As a Canadian, our government overly focuses on the needs of Ontario and Quebec.   Our two most populous provinces.    What I wouldn't given to have our Senate do something like that, so that it's a bit more of a level playing field.   Because of the timezones most people make jokes by the time our votes start getting counted, because they won't count for anything :(
    I generally agree with that except now we have two branches of govt that are skewed towards a minority of the population (senate and President due to electoral college).  And now that the Supreme Court has been increasingly politicized we will have a 3rd branch of govt that skews hard right for decades.  It’s frustrating that progress for the country is held back because of the outdated ideas of the rural states (and I live in one of them).  If it were up to WV the whole country would still run on coal.    I guess you could flip that and say it equally wouldn’t be fair for the large coastal cities to dictate policy for farmers in the Midwest.  But if we don’t progress as a country and move on past the early 1900s were just going to get left behind in an increasingly global economy.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Today is National Voter Registration Day

In honor of our fearless orange leader I'm going to register again
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    YO

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    ikiT said:
    YO

is the house really even talking about this? i have not followed any new developments since the weekend.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    ikiT said:
    YO

is the house really even talking about this? i have not followed any new developments since the weekend.
    yes. pelosi was asked about this fairly directly and she danced around it. she used the phrase "many arrows in our quiver". they can impeach either barr or trump again and tie that shit right up until inauguration day. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

ikiT said:
    YO

yes. pelosi was asked about this fairly directly and she danced around it. she used the phrase "many arrows in our quiver". they can impeach either barr or trump again and tie that shit right up until inauguration day. 
    But they won’t 
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    ikiT said:
    YO

But they won’t 
    Because it won't do anything.  There is no obligation for the Senate to take up the trial in any particular timeframe.  So even if he was impeached again, the Senate could still ignore it and move to the SCOTUS issue.  Other than R's voting, there's nothing really that can be done to stop it.  
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    ikiT said:
    YO

But they won’t 
    Because it won't do anything.  There is no obligation for the Senate to take up the trial in any particular timeframe.  So even if he was impeached again, the Senate could still ignore it and move to the SCOTUS issue.  Other than R's voting, there's nothing really that can be done to stop it.  
    actually what I read was that impeachment takes precedence and congress is obligated to look at that first. I'll have to look for a link. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I haven't heard anyone say "tough, that's politics." I hear excuses that try to explain why this is different like "well, its different because Rs didn't have the senate, having the senate means we are doing the people's will," or "its different because it was Obama's second term."
    mace1229 said:
    I haven't heard anyone say "tough, that's politics." I hear excuses that try to explain why this is different like "well, its different because Rs didn't have the senate, having the senate means we are doing the people's will," or "its different because it was Obama's second term."
    I find both of those excuses to be just that, excuses. this whole thing mcconnell said that it was different because with obama it was a divided government, so it wasn't the will of the people is horseshit. not just on its own, but the fact that he's also saying they'd ram it through even if trump loses the election and the senate turns blue makes it absolute horseshit. and obama tried to nominate 8 months before he was done. at what point are people going to stop reaching with this lame duck shit. Fine, don't do anything between election and inauguration, but seriously, in his last YEAR as president he can't nominate? just partisan bollocks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mace1229 said:
    Those excuses are essentially "tough, that's politics."

It's called paraphrasing. It's also called hypocrisy. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    ikiT said:
    YO

But they won’t 
    actually what I read was that impeachment takes precedence and congress is obligated to look at that first. I'll have to look for a link. 
    I don't think that would be smart. I also don't think it's smart to start broadcasting that they will, indeed, pack the courts. They are slight favorites to regain the senate but if they don't after saying such things, guess who will pack the courts instead?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    ikiT said:
    YO

But they won’t 
    I don't think that would be smart. I also don't think it's smart to start broadcasting that they will, indeed, pack the courts. They are slight favorites to regain the senate but if they don't after saying such things, guess who will pack the courts instead?
    I don't think "they" are saying such things. there is much conjecture out there and in the press, but I haven't seen anyone in power specifically say anything to that end. hence pelosi's "dancing". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    ikiT said:
    YO

But they won’t 
    I don't think "they" are saying such things. there is much conjecture out there and in the press, but I haven't seen anyone in power specifically say anything to that end. hence pelosi's "dancing". 
    I know they're not. Not yet at least. Everyone knows it's what they want though. Hope they're smart about it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    ikiT said:
    YO

But they won’t 
    Historically and morally, but not Constitutionally.  
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited September 2020
    mace1229 said:

I understand paraphrasing, and I already said its hypocritical. But I don't see "tough that's politics" as paraphrasing what I said. One is basically admitting its wrong and saying too bad just deal with it, the other is trying to justify it by making up reasons why this is in fact not like 2016 and a completely different scenario than back then. 2 different reasons. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I understand paraphrasing, and I already said its hypocritical. But I don't see "tough that's politics" as paraphrasing what I said. One is basically admitting it wrong and saying too bad, the other is trying to justify it by making up reasons why this is in fact not like 2016. 2 different reasons. 
    It's "tough, that's politics" anyway you slice it. Republicans are better at it because they are ruthless. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Zod said:
    bootleg said:

Its important to remember when the constitution was written, there was no Attorney General and no Dept of Justice. Over the course of many years,  the executive branch decided it could give itself these powers despite not part of the original framework. The executive has added many powers since the constitution was written. 

Now add in that the minority of people (small states) gets more voting power per person in the two elective bodies that have all of the final say of justice and the courts. 

The one elected body that somewhat follows the majority gets zero say in justice . Further, the bigger blue states would have zero say on gerrymandering.  They will be able to completely legislate the democrats out of existence and a 6-3 court ready to rubber stamp.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    face it. we're fucked.

there is nothing that can be done. the stupidest man to ever hold the office gets 3 fucking justices. a man that did not win the popular vote, backed by a party that did not win the popular vote, gets to seat 3 justices for probably at least 30 years each. fuck this bullshit.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
This discussion has been closed.