Post your stereo system!

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I need help....I am so far removed from what the best equipment is I'm clueless.

A few years ago I was motivated to get some new equipment.  I bought a really nice audio-technica turntable that I just unpacked yesterday.  

What would be a decent receiver and speaker set up?  

It would be nice to have a receiver that would let me hook up via bluetooth.  I don't need to blow out the windows but would like to get a decent pair of speakers.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I need help....I am so far removed from what the best equipment is I'm clueless.

A few years ago I was motivated to get some new equipment.  I bought a really nice audio-technica turntable that I just unpacked yesterday.  

It would be nice to have a receiver that would let me hook up via bluetooth.  I don't need to blow out the windows but would like to get a decent pair of speakers.  
    What's your budget?  It's all about that.  
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:

probably around $2000?  I was thinking around $500 for a receiver and wasn't sure what speakers cost anymore.

do you have to get a separate subwoofer or is that included in a good set of speakers?  I'm out of the loop.

I'm putting this stereo in a 15x15 room (roughly) and just plan on listening to vinyl and hopefully bluetooth.  I guess I could just hook my phone up using a cable if needed.

I don't really want to do the surround sound thing....I was just thinking of two nice speakers with good bass, etc.  Subwoofer extra if required.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mrussel1 said:

probably around $2000?  I was thinking around $500 for a receiver and wasn't sure what speakers cost anymore.

do you have to get a separate subwoofer or is that included in a good set of speakers?  I'm out of the loop.
    That should give you plenty of options.  Here are a few more questions:
    1. Do you need a phono preamp or do you have one already (or built into your TT)?
    2. How big of a room (or how far will you be sitting)?  Book shelf speakers are built for near field listening.  You don't necessarily want towers if you're sitting close (or vice versa).

Regarding the other question, any decent set of speakers will not have a sub that comes with them.  But a nice set of towers won't need them, unless you need it for movies.  For bookshelves, that's preference.  I use a 10" sub with my Dynaudio bookshelves and I'm quite pleased with the fullness.  
    Thanks for your help....here is what it has in the back....switchable pre-amp?

The room is probably closer to 18x18

That was FOUR years ago that I bought that turntable.  Christ I procrastinate

Presumably that means there is a built in phono amp that you can either use or bypass.  The USB is likely used to send an asynchronous signal to a computer so you can rip your vinyl.  So the phono switch gives you flexibility.  You can 1. use it 2. bypass it and buy a standalone phonoamp (the best but costliest option) or 3. Use a phono stage on the stereo/integrated you choose.  I doubt it's a great phono stage in there, so that's something to think through.  

Regarding the room size, you're right on the edge of a medium size room, calculating the ceilings at 9 feet.  So if you're going to be sitting on the other side of the room from teh speakers, towers are probably the best bet.  If you're sitting in the middle of the room, then I would go bookshelves.  If you're 2/3 away, probably large books or small towers.  This is probably the most important decision you make.  
    mrussel1 said:

Presumably that means there is a built in phono amp that you can either use or bypass.  The USB is likely used to send an asynchronous signal to a computer so you can rip your vinyl.  So the phono switch gives you flexibility.  You can 1. use it 2. bypass it and buy a standalone phonoamp (the best but costliest option) or 3. Use a phono stage on the stereo/integrated you choose.  I doubt it's a great phono stage in there, so that's something to think through.  

Regarding the room size, you're right on the edge of a medium size room, calculating the ceilings at 9 feet.  So if you're going to be sitting on the other side of the room from teh speakers, towers are probably the best bet.  If you're sitting in the middle of the room, then I would go bookshelves.  If you're 2/3 away, probably large books or small towers.  This is probably the most important decision you make.  
    Interesting...so if you bypass the phono amp and use a standalone, is the difference really noticeable?

I might measure that room tonight to get you better info.  You seem to know what you're talking about :)

I appreciate it!

mrussel1 said:

Interesting...so if you bypass the phono amp and use a standalone, is the difference really noticeable?

I might measure that room tonight to get you better info.  You seem to know what you're talking about :)

I appreciate it!
    I think at the money you're willing to spend, you would notice a difference.  I don't know much about your TT and cart, so that's a wildcard, but generally speaking if you have 2k to spend on speakers and the amp, then I would go with a discrete phono amp.  You can never be better than the worst part of your audio chain, but a standalone phono amp will be better than the vast majority of  built in on a stereo or a TT, unless you're up in the Mcintosh, Luxman type category.  

TT that have phonos built in are really about convenience and simplifying the investment for the average user.  They are not going to be high end.  One thing to keep in mind, if you end up buying from someplace like Crutchfield, they have great return policies.  It's like $10 to return a big piece of equipment, even like speakers.  So you can test things out, and send them back if you don't hear a difference or don't like it. 
    cool....what phono amp would you recommend?

I'm familiar with that one.  My wife actually bought it for me about ten years ago.  It's a solid entry TT.  With your budget for speaker and amp, you'll outgrow it in a few years. But if you're not sure how deep you're going into vinyl, that's a good start, lest you overspend on something that doesn't control your life like vinyl does for many of us. 
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm familiar with that one.  My wife actually bought it for me about ten years ago.  It's a solid entry TT.  With your budget for speaker and amp, you'll outgrow it in a few years. But if you're not sure how deep you're going into vinyl, that's a good start, lest you overspend on something that doesn't control your life like vinyl does for many of us. 
    I have been using my TT that I bought in high school from RadioShack.  

Is the cartridge that came with the Audio-Technica ok for now?

Now I'm curious as to what TT you are using?

I will be straight honest with you and tell you that when I used that TT with that cart, I could not hear a difference between lossless digital and vinyl.  Now.. to be fair, I was also using a Pioneer Elite AVR which is not ideal for vinyl.  I also used the phono built into the TT.  I almost gave up on vinyl but ended up going to the Proj-ject Debut Carbon, upgrading teh platter and to an Ortofon Blue cart. Also using a dedicated 2 channel integrated made all the difference.  So if you're using a dedicated 2 channel amp with a discrete phono, it will sound better than what I did.  You have it, it's paid for, you might as well start with that and see how you like it.  But it will probably be the weak point in your chain.  

Today I'm using a VPI Scout Prime with a 2" platter and 10 inch tonearm.  It's a fairly high end table.  The cartridge is a Hana MC, and the phono is an Emotiva XPS-1.  I like my phono because you can control the resistance, which is important for a MC (moving coil) cart. 

It's amazing that there is such a difference among turntables.  

It's amazing that there is such a difference among turntables.  
    Law of diminishing returns, but definitely a difference. 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    mrussel1 said:
    I will be straight honest with you and tell you that when I used that TT with that cart, I could not hear a difference between lossless digital and vinyl.  Now.. to be fair, I was also using a Pioneer Elite AVR which is not ideal for vinyl.  I also used the phono built into the TT.  I almost gave up on vinyl but ended up going to the Proj-ject Debut Carbon, upgrading teh platter and to an Ortofon Blue cart. Also using a dedicated 2 channel integrated made all the difference.  So if you're using a dedicated 2 channel amp with a discrete phono, it will sound better than what I did.  You have it, it's paid for, you might as well start with that and see how you like it.  But it will probably be the weak point in your chain.  

Today I'm using a VPI Scout Prime with a 2" platter and 10 inch tonearm.  It's a fairly high end table.  The cartridge is a Hana MC, and the phono is an Emotiva XPS-1.  I like my phono because you can control the resistance, which is important for a MC (moving coil) cart. 

Nice. I have the AudioTechnica AT-LP5 turntable with a 2m blue. Thinking about upgrading the phono stage to a pro-ject tube box s2 in the not too distant future. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Nice. I have the AudioTechnica AT-LP5 turntable with a 2m blue. Thinking about upgrading the phono stage to a pro-ject tube box s2 in the not too distant future. 
    I still have my 2M Blue and think it's a great cart.  Nicely balanced and definite upgrade from the red.  Well worth the money.  That's cool that you're going tube.  Is the rest of your chain solid state?  Supposedly tube front with solid amp is the best of both worlds.  I want to do a tube preamp at some point. 
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

Any opinion on that receiver?  It looks like I could use the USB optical cable to connect the turntable to it

edited September 2020
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

Any opinion on that receiver?  It looks like I could use the USB optical cable to connect the turntable to it
    No, not likely.  That USB is designed to send a signal to a computer for vinyl ripping.  Your Denon can be connected by using the Line switch.  That will activate the internal phono amp in your TT and then you can connect to any aux/cd/whatever red-white analog input you have.  If your Denon has a Phono input, that means it has an internal phono stage.  In that case, you would switch to "phono" on the TT.  It will send the low signal, and then the phono stage on the Denon will amplify it.  

Edit - I just looked at your Denon unit.  There's no phono stage.  There are two sets of analog input.  So you would set the switch to "line" on the TT and plug into one of those two sets.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    mrussel1 said:
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

No, not likely.  That USB is designed to send a signal to a computer for vinyl ripping.  Your Denon can be connected by using the Line switch.  That will activate the internal phono amp in your TT and then you can connect to any aux/cd/whatever red-white analog input you have.  If your Denon has a Phono input, that means it has an internal phono stage.  In that case, you would switch to "phono" on the TT.  It will send the low signal, and then the phono stage on the Denon will amplify it.  

Edit - I just looked at your Denon unit.  There's no phono stage.  There are two sets of analog input.  So you would set the switch to "line" on the TT and plug into one of those two sets.  
    is that a decent receiver?  And you would recommend an external phone amp right?

mrussel1 said:
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

is that a decent receiver?  And you would recommend an external phone amp right?
    Denon makes a nice AVR.  It would not compare to a stereo that's designed for 2 channel sound quality that will run in the $500 to $1200 range.  AVR's are made for home theater, convenience, etc.  They have a ton of electronics and boards that add noise into the signal.  So the purpose is different.  
    Regarding the external, I think it depends.  You have to have a strategy for your system.  Audio components tend to be a journey that takes time as you upgrade.  You have what you need to be up and running today, presuming you have speakers.  

1. Speakers - most important, not even close.  They are the make or break.  You should be the most particular here.  What do you have today?
    2. Integrated amp/stereo - A good integrated amp will likely have a pretty decent built in phono (not having one doesn't make it bad).  This will be better than what's in teh TT and keep you in a good place for a while.  Phono pre amp should be later, probably even after a new TT.  Here's an example of a solid, dedicated two channel.  There are a lot of good options that will be a clear upgrade vs almost any AVR.  https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS501S/Yamaha-A-S501-Silver.html
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited April 2021
    You have a Dustcover for that VPI? I need one for my HW-19. I think their official one is crazy over priced though.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

Denon makes a nice AVR.  It would not compare to a stereo that's designed for 2 channel sound quality that will run in the $500 to $1200 range.  AVR's are made for home theater, convenience, etc.  They have a ton of electronics and boards that add noise into the signal.  So the purpose is different.  
    Regarding the external, I think it depends.  You have to have a strategy for your system.  Audio components tend to be a journey that takes time as you upgrade.  You have what you need to be up and running today, presuming you have speakers.  

1. Speakers - most important, not even close.  They are the make or break.  You should be the most particular here.  What do you have today?
    2. Integrated amp/stereo - A good integrated amp will likely have a pretty decent built in phono (not having one doesn't make it bad).  This will be better than what's in teh TT and keep you in a good place for a while.  Phono pre amp should be later, probably even after a new TT.  Here's an example of a solid, dedicated two channel.  There are a lot of good options that will be a clear upgrade vs almost any AVR.  https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS501S/Yamaha-A-S501-Silver.html
    no speakers yet....any advice appreciated.  Room is probably 16x16.  

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

Sounds like you have money to spend, but below is an idea to perhaps save you some money.

If you cannot find a a decent integrated amp/stereo receiver with a phono stage, I have your very TT, which I connected to a little Bellari phono tube preamp (also has a lovely dedicated headphone jack for tube sound straight into your earholes, which is nice) and then connected that to the aux. Huge improvement in sound over the TT's built-in. I've even connected it this way to my old Sansui receiver, which does have a phono stage. 

Oh, and the cartridge that comes with that TT isn't too shabby. Give it some time to break in, and I think you'll find it enjoyable enough. I've swapped in my Grado and Stanton just to see how they would sound on that table, and while they certainly track a lot nicer, the difference in sound wasn't enough for me to consider swapping out the stock cartridge. And you can always upgrade later.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Thanks for the advice....truly appreciated.  

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

Man, there are so many options at speakers.  You may want to use someone where you can test and return if you don't like them.  Local store (demos) or Crutchfield is a good option.  I will just tell you speaker brands that I've enjoyed over the years:
    Bowers and Wilkins, KEF, Dynaudio, Paradigm, Monitor.  I am partial to soft dome tweeters, English sound, and I don't like horns (Klipsch).  This is just a preference thing.  I would not recommend Audioengine or Bose.  I have always been interested in owning some Martin Logans, as they are ribbon speakers. Some people really dig those, but I think they are more inclined to jazz and orchestra.  

Like I said earlier, depending on where in the room you sit, you have to first decide towers or bookshelves.  One is not better than the other.  Bookshelves placed properly and with a sub will sound every bit as good as a tower.  It's all about distance.  But if you do books, you need stands and I suggest a sub eventually.  So towers may be less expensive.  You don't have to buy the branded stands which are always outrageous.  There are excellent stands on Amazon.  

Feel free to float models or ask questions.  I love nerding out on stereo equipment.  
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

Sounds like you have money to spend, but below is an idea to perhaps save you some money.

If you cannot find a a decent integrated amp/stereo receiver with a phono stage, I have your very TT, which I connected to a little Bellari phono tube preamp (also has a lovely dedicated headphone jack for tube sound straight into your earholes, which is nice) and then connected that to the aux. Huge improvement in sound over the TT's built-in. I've even connected it this way to my old Sansui receiver, which does have a phono stage. 

Oh, and the cartridge that comes with that TT isn't too shabby. Give it some time to break in, and I think you'll find it enjoyable enough. I've swapped in my Grado and Stanton just to see how they would sound on that table, and while they certainly track a lot nicer, the difference in sound wasn't enough for me to consider swapping out the stock cartridge. And you can always upgrade later.
    Yeah I agree with this.  When it's time to start spending money, you should either get an integrated with a phono stage or get the phono stage.  Tubes are in interesting way to go.  I don't own any today but would love the option.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Denon AVR-S540BT  

Man, there are so many options at speakers.  You may want to use someone where you can test and return if you don't like them.  Local store (demos) or Crutchfield is a good option.  I will just tell you speaker brands that I've enjoyed over the years:
    Bowers and Wilkins, KEF, Dynaudio, Paradigm, Monitor.  I am partial to soft dome tweeters, English sound, and I don't like horns (Klipsch).  This is just a preference thing.  I would not recommend Audioengine or Bose.  I have always been interested in owning some Martin Logans, as they are ribbon speakers. Some people really dig those, but I think they are more inclined to jazz and orchestra.  

Like I said earlier, depending on where in the room you sit, you have to first decide towers or bookshelves.  One is not better than the other.  Bookshelves placed properly and with a sub will sound every bit as good as a tower.  It's all about distance.  But if you do books, you need stands and I suggest a sub eventually.  So towers may be less expensive.  You don't have to buy the branded stands which are always outrageous.  There are excellent stands on Amazon.  

Feel free to float models or ask questions.  I love nerding out on stereo equipment.  
    I'm thinking bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer

what would you pick off of crutchfield if it were you?

You have a Dustcover for that VPI? I need one for my Prime Sig. I think their official one is crazy over priced though.

Yeah I ordered this one.  It's third party and it's really good.  Big, as you can imagine because you have to cover that high tonearm.  https://upscaleaudio.com/products/audioshield-turntable-dust-covers?variant=21192536195132

I have the AS200, looks like you would need the 300.  I bet you love that signature.  Gorgeous table.