Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    nicknyr15 said:
    Is there a bigger POS or a worse spokesperson for BLM than Shaun King? 
    And of course Pearl Jam follows him. But I expect better from Weird Al. Eh, to each their own I guess. 

following is not necessarily an endorsement, just so you know. 
    I didn't say it was. But you must have some sort of interest in what someone says if you're following them. 
    of course. what's one of the biggest criticisms that right wingers have of this place? it being an echo chamber. if you aren't interested in what others you disagree with are saying, you are doing it wrong. 

of course, this could also absolutely mean the band follows him because they agree with him. i was just responding to your "of course (pearl jam) follow him". the implication being that they support him because they follow him on twitter. which i doubt any of the band members are even involved in. 
    That's fair enough, because that was my implication. But while I doubt PJ are looking at their phones and checking their Twitter, I don't think whoever does run their Twitter would follow such a polarizing, political figure if the band wasn't into it. I just scrolled down the list of accounts they follow and regarding people in politics, it seems like exclusively people on the left, which is fine and to be expected. But following someone like King isn't exactly like following Michael Moore or Rachel Maddow. He's pretty out there....
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    nicknyr15 said:
    And of course Pearl Jam follows him. But I expect better from Weird Al. Eh, to each their own I guess. 

I didn't say it was. But you must have some sort of interest in what someone says if you're following them. 
    of course. what's one of the biggest criticisms that right wingers have of this place? it being an echo chamber. if you aren't interested in what others you disagree with are saying, you are doing it wrong. 

of course, this could also absolutely mean the band follows him because they agree with him. i was just responding to your "of course (pearl jam) follow him". the implication being that they support him because they follow him on twitter. which i doubt any of the band members are even involved in. 
    That's fair enough, because that was my implication. But while I doubt PJ are looking at their phones and checking their Twitter, I don't think whoever does run their Twitter would follow such a polarizing, political figure if the band wasn't into it. I just scrolled down the list of accounts they follow and regarding people in politics, it seems like exclusively people on the left, which is fine and to be expected. But following someone like King isn't exactly like following Michael Moore or Rachel Maddow. He's pretty out there....
    Yeah but we don’t know why they follow who ever they follow on Twitter. Does it matter to me not one bit!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    nicknyr15 said:

Yeah but we don’t know why they follow who ever they follow on Twitter. Does it matter to me not one bit!
    Yeah, same here. It may be because I follow people who I don't necessarily agree with or even like. In fact, I have a visceral hatred for Trump, and follow him on Twitter just to be witness to the shit show. My following of his feed in no way is an indicator of any sort of support.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Yeah, same here. It may be because I follow people who I don't necessarily agree with or even like. In fact, I have a visceral hatred for Trump, and follow him on Twitter just to be witness to the shit show. My following of his feed in no way is an indicator of any sort of support.
    Me too! 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:

honestly, that's quite powerful. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

https://apple.news/A65dhdEioSZKf5jMSjEHVPw
    This is what I’ve been saying protest must continue even with C19..
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    sadly, i don't see this changing. i see so much "if he just listened to the cops....". people just don't fucking get it. i'm afraid they never will. 
    If you talk to cops they say the same thing. "Listen to their commands and don't escalate the situation".

They are miles apart from how you think.
    sadly, i don't see this changing. i see so much "if he just listened to the cops....". people just don't fucking get it. i'm afraid they never will. 
    If you talk to cops they say the same thing. "Listen to their commands and don't escalate the situation".

perhaps if orders were given without shouting and by ONLY one cop , that would be easier.

All too often contradictory commands are given by multiple cops.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    mickeyrat said:

perhaps if orders were given without shouting and by ONLY one cop , that would be easier.

I didn't ask about that, that is a very good point but is that what happened in this scenario?
    mickeyrat said:

I didn't ask about that, that is a very good point but is that what happened in this scenario?

dude in kenosha? video shows 2 cops chasing/following. Thinks its entirely reasonable to believe both cops were shouting orders. cant say if the were contradictory or not, but still on any scene there should be a single lead officer

there is a culture of fear out there among people of colour. and justifiably so. we've seen countless examples of people complying and STILL getting beaten or even killed. or let's call it what it is: murdered. 

if i was black, i'd be hesitant to comply too. especially if i was alone. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Shaun King trying to profit off dead black people. unreal. sends out an email starting with the announcement of Chadwick Boseman's death and ends with asking you to buy his book. 

he really is disgusting trash. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Shaun King trying to profit off dead black people. unreal. sends out an email starting with the announcement of Chadwick Boseman's death and ends with asking you to buy his book. 

Biggest piece of shit ever. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    nicknyr15 said:

No he is not
    While I agree that he is a piece of shit.
    The biggest piece of shit award goes to the piece-of-shit-in-chief 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:

No he is not
    I’m not going to argue with you about which piece Of shit is a bigger piece of shit. I just hope if trump loses in November  then people here  will stop bringing him up in every post, even when it has nothing to do with him. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No he is not
    I’m not going to argue with you about which piece Of shit is a bigger piece of shit. I just hope if trump loses in November  then people here  will stop bringing him up in every post, even when it has nothing to do with him. 
    if trump loses he will not go into retirement quietly like all the other presidents. he HAS to be the center of attention and will continue to be after he leaves office. he will start his own network. even if trump world crumbles and he goes on any sort of a trial, it will be front page news for years. we will still talk about him because he will continue to be an active threat to this country. just watch.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No he is not
    if trump loses he will not go into retirement quietly like all the other presidents. he HAS to be the center of attention and will continue to be after he leaves office. he will start his own network. even if trump world crumbles and he goes on any sort of a trial, it will be front page news for years. we will still talk about him because he will continue to be an active threat to this country. just watch.
    yep. luckily, if he does lose, he will no longer hold power or be any source of influence. once he's done, the party that initially rejected him, then embraced him, will toss him to the used bin once again. 

or they will attempt to replicate him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

A few years back a severe storm blow through my neighborhood. Me and a neighbor were out on the sidewalk in front of my house watching the power company remove trees. A cop pulled up, rolled down the window and told us to go inside. I told him to piss off and move along, which he did. The next night, five blocks from that location, a cop from the same department shot and killed Philando Castile.

Morale of the story, I as a white man didnt need to heed the officers command, but a black man didn’t even get the chance to make that decision.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No he is not
    yep. luckily, if he does lose, he will no longer hold power or be any source of influence. once he's done, the party that initially rejected him, then embraced him, will toss him to the used bin once again. 

or they will attempt to replicate him. 
    Unfortunately his influence will outlive his power and maybe him
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    If you're on FB, check this out.  Very moving.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Thats i definitely very moving.

My girlfriend's nieces are black, raised by upper middle class white parents in a very white neighborhood. 
    They haven't had to deal with the bullshit that Nick Wrights son has had to deal with. Maybe because they are girls. Maybe they have been lucky.

Being a young black male in this country has to such. And the current president is not making things any easier.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

Thats i definitely very moving.

My girlfriend's nieces are black, raised by upper middle class white parents in a very white neighborhood. 
    They haven't had to deal with the bullshit that Nick Wrights son has had to deal with. Maybe because they are girls. Maybe they have been lucky.

Being a young black male in this country has to such. And the current president is not making things any easier.

I can't imagine how hard it is for people of color in these situations. 

We have small but strongly contingency of hateful conservatives in our town (along with some decent conservative folks, I should point out) who, I'm told, have harassed some of our small black population here.  One guy posted on a local FB BLM site an offer to carry a smart phone and follow any black folks who need to drive through town in case they get harassed.  At first that sounded a little dramatic, but these days?  I guess not.   I thought that was quite a generous offer.  He also offered to accompany any person of color shopping if they so desire.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited September 2020

• sadly, i don't see this changing. i see so much "if he just listened to the cops....". people just don't fucking get it. i'm afraid they never will. 

A few years back a severe storm blow through my neighborhood. Me and a neighbor were out on the sidewalk in front of my house watching the power company remove trees. A cop pulled up, rolled down the window and told us to go inside. I told him to piss off and move along, which he did. The next night, five blocks from that location, a cop from the same department shot and killed Philando Castile.

Morale of the story, I as a white man didnt need to heed the officers command, but a black man didn’t even get the chance to make that decision.
    Apples and oranges.  That scenario doesn't fit most of the incidents that happened.

Cops get called to a scene so they are on high alert, this cop just drove by you.
    edited September 2020

Apples and oranges.  That scenario doesn't fit most of the incidents that happened.

Cops get called to a scene so they are on high alert, this cop just drove by you.
    Nope. This was in response to a comment that people need to heed and obey what cops tell them to do. The cop interacted with didnt tell me to go inside while driving by. He pulled up, as in up to the curb, stopped the vehicle, rolled down the window, and gave a command to go inside. I told him to piss off. I was in no way polite. He knew he was out of bounds and could not enforce what he was telling us to do, that’s why he drove off. Again, if I had been a nonwhite man, that interaction could have went sideways fast.

If if a cop is to the point that they are so amped up during all calls/stops then they do need to be a cop.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on

Nope. This was in response to a comment that people need to heed and obey what cops tell them to do. The cop interacted with didnt tell me to go inside while driving by. He pulled up, as in up to the curb, stopped the vehicle, rolled down the window, and gave a command to go inside. I told him to piss off. I was in no way polite. He knew he was out of bounds and could not enforce what he was telling us to do, that’s why he drove off. Again, if I had been a nonwhite man, that interaction could have went sideways fast.

If if a cop is to the point that they are so amped up during all calls/stops then they do need to be a cop.
    i kind of agree with tempo here.....I don't see that interaction going differently if you were black. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i kind of agree with tempo here.....I don't see that interaction going differently if you were black. 
    Again, it goes back to the point of heeding commands. I clearly did not heed the command to go inside my house. At the point I told the officer no, I was not obeying what I was told to do. According to some people, at that point the officer would have been within bounds to escalate the situation as I refused to comply. What I’m getting at is this reasoning put forth that if people just obey police all will be good. That is clearly not the case. There is also a pattern that white people more often than not are afforded more leeway in obeying the commands of police. 

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    It makes me sad that she has to do this...

We'll never know. But the chance of just about any interaction ending badly for a black person is higher than for a white person. This one cop at this  one time? Maybe; maybe not.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin