so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Do you guys have italian beef sandwiches out east or is it just cheese steaks? 
    I think the equivalent would be a French dip out here but I could be mistaken.  
    Yeah that makes sense.  Italian beef sandwiches are a big thing in Chicago.  Kind of the equivalent of a philly cheese steak out east I suppose.  Ours don't get dressed up that much either.  Sweet peppers, giardiniera, mozzarella cheese are the most common add-ons.

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Those Italian beef sammies are fucking tasty! I had one from Portillo’s and some other little eatery not far from Drumph Tower that I found on Yelp back in 2018. Really a shame that it gets so overshadowed by the pizza and the hot dogs in Chicago food lore. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Always been a fan of the French Dip
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    Those Italian beef sammies are fucking tasty! I had one from Portillo’s and some other little eatery not far from Drumph Tower that I found on Yelp back in 2018. Really a shame that it gets so overshadowed by the pizza and the hot dogs in Chicago food lore. 
    You nailed it.  Portillo's is iconic here and one of the top beefs along with Johnnie's and Al's.  If I ever leave here I'll miss the beefs more than the pizza I think.  Can get a decent pie most places, but i never see good beef sandwiches elsewhere.  I get mine with just sweet or hot peppers depending on the day.  Nothing else.  perfection.  I'd love a proper cheese steak too...haven't had one in years.

I can’t speak to what the specific differences are between a french dip and the Italian beef sandwiches in Chicago, but the 2 Italian beef sandwiches I had were on another level compared to any French dip I’ve ever had. 
    ^ i don't know either but i think it's the herbs and spices that the beef is cooked in.  They're very different tasting imo (italian beef better).  if you ever get back here and want to get crazy with your sandwich, order a "combo."  Beef with italian sausage together.  it's a heart attack on a bun, but it's damn good.  I usually don't get them, but you have to try it at least once
    what is on the standard philly cheese steak?  steak, cheese and onion only? 
    As heart attack inducing as that “combo” sounds, I would try it in a heartbeat (perhaps my last heartbeat?). 

Yes, that is the most common way to get it, but you can customize it any way you like. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    That steak sandwich at Portillo s is amazing.  My wife also loved the cake chocolate shake.  It was way too sweet for me.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    That steak sandwich at Portillo s is amazing.  My wife also loved the cake chocolate shake.  It was way too sweet for me.  
    I got that as well and thought it was slightly overhyped. Good, but not great. 
    I'm not a fan of the chocolate cake shake.  I don't like the chunks in it.  If I get a shake i like it nice and smooth.  Their actual chocolate cake is outstanding though.  They're very well known for that. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    No condiments on a cheesesteak, ketchup is possibly allowed in small amounts. Mayo is legal on chicken cheesesteaks tho. Thems the rules.
    edited July 2020
    bbiggs said:
    Do you guys have italian beef sandwiches out east or is it just cheese steaks? 
    We have roast beef sandwiches, yes.
    bbiggs said:
    I'm not a fan of the chocolate cake shake.  I don't like the chunks in it.  If I get a shake i like it nice and smooth.  Their actual chocolate cake is outstanding though.  They're very well known for that. 
    Yes the actual cake is wonderful. They were serving it for free in the vip section.  :)
    No condiments on a cheesesteak, ketchup is possibly allowed in small amounts. Mayo is legal on chicken cheesesteaks tho. Thems the rules.
    This morning, I saw someone post a picture on twitter of mustard on his cheesesteak. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    RiotZact said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I got that as well and thought it was slightly overhyped. Good, but not great. 
    Same...I haven't been too impressed by Portillos
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    This morning, I saw someone post a picture on twitter of mustard on his cheesesteak. 
    Mustard - NO. But if I said I liked a bit of steak sauce on my cheesesteak would the mocking begin :)

Wife's family from Ireland came over last year. We did the whole ordeal and walked down to Pat's. I didn't want to be my usual nerd, overbearing self so I let them do what they wanted to do. The ordering process was awkward, but was allowed due to the accents. But then homeboy went over to the condiments and started pumping spicy mustard all over it. I needed to be helped up off the ground.
    GlowGirl said:
    Mustard - NO. But if I said I liked a bit of steak sauce on my cheesesteak would the mocking begin :)

You go, girl.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Mustard is gross but if I had a gun to my head and had to pick mustard or ketchup I’m going mustard every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I gag at the sight of ketchup on a cheesesteak. 
    RiotZact said:
    Mustard is gross but if I had a gun to my head and had to pick mustard or ketchup I’m going mustard every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I gag at the sight of ketchup on a cheesesteak. 
    Agreed!   
    The correct way is chopped steak (no strips or slabs), American/Provolone/Whiz (all at the same time if you can, really), fried onions, S&P, seeded roll. That's it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Mustard on a steak?  Ketchup?
    I guess I could do either but would never think to.
    Nasty.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    The correct way is chopped steak (no strips or slabs), American/Provolone/Whiz (all at the same time if you can, really), fried onions, S&P, seeded roll. That's it.
    Seeded roll all the way. The only thing I fault Dalessandro’s for is not using a seeded roll. 
    Mustard on a steak?  Ketchup?
    I guess I could do either but would never think to.
    Nasty.

Ketchup is quite common. Mustard is something I've never considered before. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Ketchup on a cheese steak seems like the equivalent of ketchup on a hot dog...you just don't do it.  Mustard on a dog is delicious, but no way on a cheese steak.  Cheese steak is a "less is more" kind of sandwich for me. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    My wife puts mustard on hamburgers, so I guess I could see people doing it.  
    Yuck.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    edited July 2020
    Yuck.
    All the big fast food burger places (McD's the King, Wendy's) put ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions on burgers, I don't bother with putting in a special order when I get one, but always wish the mustard wasn't there...doesn't belong. And BK seems to put way too much of it.
    Plus its always the yellow mustard, which frankly sucks. Brown mustard like Guldens at the very least (if not something more exotic/spicy) or GTFO.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    ^Yellow mustard is the shit on hot dogs though. I always order my fast food burgers with just cheese. Fuck all that other nonsense. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited July 2020
    Poncier said:
    Yuck.
    All the big fast food burger places (McD's the King, Wendy's) put ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions on burgers, I don't bother with putting in a special order when I get one, but always wish the mustard wasn't there...doesn't belong. And BK seems to put way too much of it.
    Plus its always the yellow mustard, which frankly sucks. Brown mustard like Guldens at the very least (if not something more exotic/spicy) or GTFO.
    wayne campbell reactiongrey pouponwayne campbellmike myerswaynes world GIF
    Post edited by GlowGirl on