Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Read he’s also gonna bootleg the bootleggers by stealing their cover art, but releasing shows from his archive instead of the sub par AUDs. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    goldrush said:
    'Way Down In The Rust Bucket' is being mastered...

Lol. So how much will that cost.

I guess it will still be less than a Pearl Jam vault release. But still. 

Live albums aren't made for vinyl. You want that flow. CD and digital is a godsend for live shows.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Blue Note was $90 retail and thats 4LPs. I imagine something similar. So yeah, still more expensive than a Vault. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    It will get released at some point. It would be dumb not to. It would be one of Neils biggest selling records in years just because PJ fans would buy it too. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    The Hearse Theatre has been upgraded. One screen for the Fireside Sessions, and one for the usual films

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    The new song is nice. 

Booked the indie release at my local recors store, 25 dollars. Resonable.
    Homegrown is now streaming in full on the Archives site  =)

I had an email from the indie store I ordered the vinyl from and there will be a delay getting stock into Australia, so the stream will have to do for now.

(Tim Rogers)
  • RE658041RE658041 Sweden Posts: 401
    My indie release vinyl arrived today.
    Read he’s also gonna bootleg the bootleggers by stealing their cover art, but releasing shows from his archive instead of the sub par AUDs. 
    The Bootleg Series will be on vinyl too

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    The Bootleg Series will be on vinyl too

I just wish he had an artdirector take an inspiration from the bootleg art but spruced it up. but well oh well. 

Some should suggest a massey hall boot. 
    goldrush said:

I had an email from the indie store I ordered the vinyl from and there will be a delay getting stock into Australia, so the stream will have to do for now.
    Very nice album
    goldrush said:

Very nice album
    My initial thoughts after about half a dozen listens would be...

Separate Ways - I really like the mood of this as an opener. Ben Keith sounds amazing on it. I saw it live in 93, but it sounded very different with Booker T & the MGs

Try - I wasn't blown away at first, but it's really growing on me now

Mexico - Love it, really wish this one was longer

Love Is a Rose - Not that different from the one on Decade

Homegrown - This may be my favourite version of this track already

Florida - I 'get it' as art, but I don't think I'll ever need to listen to it again

Kansas - Really like this. I wish it was longer too

We Don't Smoke It No More - A fun song, would fit on Tonight's The Night as well

White Line - I really love this version! Robbie Robertson is on this, and it almost feels like a companion to the version with the Horse that was on Ragged Glory. Almost as if this is Neil thinking about hitting the road, and the RG version is when he's out there

Vacancy - Really enjoy this one. Crazy that Neil can uncover great songs after being hidden for 45 years

Little Wing - This has always been one of my favourite Neil songs, it's just perfect. I'll never get tired of hearing it

Star of Bethlehem - Nothing new here, pretty much the same as the version on American Stars n Bars

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

Very nice album
    My initial thoughts after about half a dozen listens would be...

Separate Ways - I really like the mood of this as an opener. Ben Keith sounds amazing on it. I saw it live in 93, but it sounded very different with Booker T & the MGs

Try - I wasn't blown away at first, but it's really growing on me now

Mexico - Love it, really wish this one was longer

Love Is a Rose - Not that different from the one on Decade

Homegrown - This may be my favourite version of this track already

Florida - I 'get it' as art, but I don't think I'll ever need to listen to it again

Kansas - Really like this. I wish it was longer too

We Don't Smoke It No More - A fun song, would fit on Tonight's The Night as well

White Line - I really love this version! Robbie Robertson is on this, and it almost feels like a companion to the version with the Horse that was on Ragged Glory. Almost as if this is Neil thinking about hitting the road, and the RG version is when he's out there

Vacancy - Really enjoy this one. Crazy that Neil can uncover great songs after being hidden for 45 years

Little Wing - This has always been one of my favourite Neil songs, it's just perfect. I'll never get tired of hearing it

Star of Bethlehem - Nothing new here, pretty much the same as the version on American Stars n Bars
    Thank you for the recap. Was thinking of buying soon 
    I need to pick up my copy within a week. I ordered the "indie store exclusive"... but it is 5-6 dollars more than the regular. Should I switch ?

Which one did you buy.

I also sa a store having 10% of on colorado... so it's 35 dollars now in Sweden... never listened to it since it came out though...
    Paying $5-6 extra dollars for a print (a record flat, let’s be honest) isn’t worth it. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    I think I read on the Discogs the RSD/Limited version has a lithograph.  I was fine with my Amazon version.  And the sound on the record is great.  I do like how the first track is distorted as they started playing before the analogue recorder was full speed.  Sounds cool and authentic.  
    edited June 2020
    Correct. Its just a print of the cover on heavy stock. Its essentially the album sleeve but without the back (or the sleeve I guess). Its not worth paying more for. 
    Correct. Its just a print of the cover on heavy stock. Its essentially the album sleeve but without the back (or the sleeve I guess). Its not worth paying more for. 
    That is what I thought. The store owner first said that the indie version would be on a different color vinyl. But turned out that was him misinterpreting. 

I guess I just buy the regular version then. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Homegrown- ordered, can't wait to hear it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I listened to Homegrown on vinyl last night.  What a beautiful album and the pressing is fantastic, very intimate. Amazing!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Songs for Judy kind of disappeared 
    Songs for Judy kind of disappeared 
    Looks like there may be a sequel to it coming (one day...) with songs from the electric sets.

(Tim Rogers)

The new Fireside Sessions (the ‘Porch Episode’) is a powerful one.

Alabama
    Campaigner 
    Ohio
    The Times They Are A-Changin’
    Lookin’ For A Leader (with rewritten anti-Trump lyrics)
    Southern Man
    Little Wing

This is definitely one to rewatch a few times.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited July 2020
    A Letter Home has really dropped in price. Do not own it, and doubt I would never spin it. And seems the rest of the world agrees when it's now being sold for 14-15 dollars. Or did everyone buy the superdeluxe box of it maybe
    A Letter Home has really dropped in price. Do not own it, and doubt I would never spin it. And seems the rest of the world agrees when it's now being sold for 14-15 dollars. Or did everyone buy the superdeluxe box of it maybe
    I bought the box set, and the 'direct feed' vinyl sounds good. 
    I rarely pay the standard version of it.

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

That's fantastic news! 

It's such a powerful and album that I can even remember specific times listening to it, like in the fall of 1997- at a time when I was really down and out and I was living on about $600 a month.  I was out in the El Dorado National forest, about 20 or 30 minutes east of here, scrounging end cuts where other had been cutting wood, loading up branches to shove in my old van- gathering pretty much anything out there I could burn in the wood burning stove in the cabin I was staying in- an old building that had no insulation- and hoping I wasn't going to freeze my butt off too badly during the coming winter.  I had the cassette tape of Mirror Ball playing the whole time I was out there scrounging wood .  "I'm the Ocean" lifting me up, "Peace and Love" giving me hope, all of it helping get me through that tough time.  It's one of those albums that just burns itself into your psyche.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

would love for them to tie a reissue with the live show. Maybe get the band and neil to do a song on Colbert or something. 

would love for them to tie a reissue with the live show. Maybe get the band and neil to do a song on Colbert or something. 

Oh man!  Now we're talking!