Black Lives Matter

wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 291
Searched and didn't find a thread.

Don't @ me with the that "Moving Train" is a better place for this. 

Living beneath a lions paw knowing nothing can be tamed
Folded over forced in a choke hold. Outnumbered and held down.

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    It will get moved to AMT by the mods
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    OMG!
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,696
    All lives matter
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    All lives matter
    Yep, they ALL matter
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited June 2020
    All lives matter
    Get outta here with this BS. How do some people still not get it?

BLACK LIVES MATTER.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016

Maybe you will listen to a Vedder if no one else. 

BLACK LIVES MATTER.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited June 2020
    Mods should leave this thread right here. Don’t hide it in AMT for the same 5 people to see and debate (even though there is nothing to debate about it) 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923

2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • CarisaJCarisaJ Posts: 65

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    All lives matter

BLACK LIVES MATTER.

BLACK LIVES MATTER.

I totally agree that "Black Lives Matter" should be just that and not turned into something else. 

But I totally disagree with your approach to "educating" someone on that concept.  You didn't educate, you chewed ass in a self-righteous manner on lastexitlondon, one of the best people on these forums- a caring, struggling, thoughtful, decent person.  That's just wrong, way wrong, and because of that, it fucks up your otherwise fundamentally right on message.  At the very least, you owe the dude an apology.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Dont worry brian. I live in london  and i know who i am. 
    At this time many people of all nationality are working and dying to save all nationalities in our hospitals and im sad to see all these people of every kind and culture die doing their  job. 
    So i merely  think i would  want to save all people.
    We were  all bought up on an estate here with people from all over the  world whos parents worked in our hospitals so we are as one where  i live. 
    Anger breads anger. 
    Peace  is where im at.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2020
    If you need to yell out "ALL LIVES MATTER" any time someone says "Black lives matter" you do not know what "Black lives matter" is about. 

So educate yourself. Instead of running errands for racists wanting to put marginalized people down.

Unnecessary. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Apologies if i misunderstood. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• "All lives matter".........Jesus christ, go and read a book or two and educate yourself.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • hrd2imgn said:
    All lives matter
    Yep, they ALL matter
    ...and they will "all matter" once black lives matter.
    You can also go and read a book or two and educate yourself about why saying "all lives matter" is ignorance personified.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    All lives matter is more of the same, white people trying to gloss over what's really going on. Let's stop making it all about white people for a change.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    I dont use any social media so maybe a little out of touch . I watch the news only again recently. I hadn't any intention  of any ignorance to me i was thinking of all the  horrible deaths that are happening and that made me think of everyone. I was un aware it was a bad phrase to say. I wish no pain on anyone of any kind is all i thought. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I know that your intentions are good on here always, @lastexitlondon. That's from being on these forums and seeing your posts the last couple of years, I can tell that you are a compassionate soul. Personally I knew as soon as I saw it, that you were perhaps not up to speed with the connotations of that phrase nowadays. I also think it's a good sign that others on here feel as strongly as they do about the issue. There MIGHT be hope for the human race after all.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • I dont use any social media so maybe a little out of touch . I watch the news only again recently. I hadn't any intention  of any ignorance to me i was thinking of all the  horrible deaths that are happening and that made me think of everyone. I was un aware it was a bad phrase to say. I wish no pain on anyone of any kind is all i thought. 
    My apologies then. I didn't mean to come across in a hostile way. I've just been seeing "all lives matter" spouted by many right/far right people these past few weeks and it gets a little tiresome and is used as a way to derail a movement that merely seeks equality and not power over another. Black lives mattering is just black people trying to "matter" and have an equal say in the world. And also not be murdered in cold blood by the cops but ya know, that should be a given at this point.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
    brianlux said:
    All lives matter

BLACK LIVES MATTER.

BLACK LIVES MATTER.

I totally agree that "Black Lives Matter" should be just that and not turned into something else. 

But I totally disagree with your approach to "educating" someone on that concept.  You didn't educate, you chewed ass in a self-righteous manner on lastexitlondon, one of the best people on these forums- a caring, struggling, thoughtful, decent person.  That's just wrong, way wrong, and because of that, it fucks up your otherwise fundamentally right on message.  At the very least, you owe the dude an apology.
    Someone even posting all lives matter, no matter how aloof, proves that in some way, shape or form they believe there is something wrong with the statement black lives matter. I will not apologize for my approach to it; it was necessary. I don’t think the original intentions of posting it matter at all. Even their response fails to truly recognize why it is important to end the all lives matter nonsense. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • I don't buy the line of "he's a good dude" when saying something a bit stupid/ignorant. I have close mates who say silly things and I pull them up on it and I would hope vice-versa. Just because someone has a good rep it doesn't mean they are untouchable.
    And that should go for EVERYONE no matter how caring, thoughtful, and decent they are.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Some of this is ridiculous. Educate by embarrassing, no exceptions. Because belittling someone really opens that door to learning, to another’s view. 

If you feel someone doesn’t “get it”, how is berating them going to help? Would you want to try to learn that way?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    Some of this is ridiculous. Educate by embarrassing, no exceptions. Because belittling someone really opens that door to learning, to another’s view. 

If you feel someone doesn’t “get it”, how is berating them going to help? Would you want to try to learn that way?
    I don't know that I'd necessarily want to learn that way. But I will say that the lessons I've learned from shame have likely stuck with me more than lessons learned otherwise. A little empathy goes a long way, though. None of that to be found on AMT; that's for damn sure.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I just spoke with my 18 year old daughter  and my words now mean something  i didnt even understand. I dont need to prove to anyone  that i have love  and  feel the  same about everyone in the world. I was and am genuinely  caring for every person  regardless of anything. And i still see all the death and loss as horrific.  So to be honest i would never knowingly  post any thing to offend anyone.  As far as race my view  is not even in question. I love  all people im a lover not a fighter so i will leave this  thread to carry on the good work.

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• hedonist said:

I really don't think anything said in this thread has been that bad.
    At this point, as an adult, if you don't understand why "All lives matter" is incredibly offensive then a little bit of embarrassment to have that point hammered home can not hurt. I apologised to the guy as I think he understands he had made a mistake and thats cool and we should move on.
    The point still stands that you can be Mother Theresa, but if you say something stupid, expect to be pulled for it.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited June 2020
    I'll leave this thread to those enlightened saints here who never made an error or misunderstood a concept without feeling like being bullied, embarrassed or derided with the only proper way to learn a lesson.  Kindness and intelligent instruction just don't seem to fit your self-righteous styles.  Good luck with that making a positive change in the world.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

My Self-righteous style? Come on. You can’t understand how after now a week+ of very well covered efforts on the BLM movement (even though it’s now existed for much longer) and seeing responses such as all lives matter continuing to be pushed out is a direct effort to diminish what is trying to be accomplished is exhausting? Nothing said in this thread in response to it is out of line. The only thing I will apologize for is not having patience for seeing all lives matter posted again. Im glad lastexit reached out to their daughter to learn. 

Happy Monday. Black lives matter. It’s really too bad this was moved to AMT. Talk about a thread that should be front and center. 

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited June 2020
    brianlux said:
    I'll leave this thread to those enlightened saints here who never made an error or misunderstood a concept without feeling like being bullied, embarrassed or derided with the only proper way to learn a lesson.  Kindness and intelligent instruction just don't seem to fit your self-righteous styles.  Good luck with that making a positive change in the world.
    That's a very eloquent way to make it sound like those who don't always use tact are assholes. I'm sorry, but there are certain phrases and ways of thinking that do need to be called out at this juncture in time. You know what being ignorant about the statement "All Lives Matters" means in response to "Black Lives Matter"? That you are most likely a white person, even more likely that you are a white male, who does not understand what it means to be black because you don't even come close to living in the same stratosphere of inequality and injustice. As the oppressors, it is our job to educate ourselves and address the racial disparity that we continue to perpetuate due to lack of true, deep felt caring for the change and equality needed. We live in power so therefore it is never an urgent need to us. We complain about a building burning and sit atop our position of privilege telling others that's not going to help the situation, yet we do nothing, but flap our mouths for a few weeks and then move on to the next social justice cause that has taken over social media. You know the next big issue is just right around the corner and then everyone can make that their new hashtag. This is the world we live in. 

I'll admit, I was an ignorant idiot years ago when this phrase first started being used, but I figured it out and came to recognize it's importance. I also didn't really understand the kneeling during the anthem at first, but that's because I am white and come from privilege, even if that privilege has nothing to do with wealth, there is a difference for just being born white. How many years of black people being killed at the hands of the police do we need to see before people get it? Apparently more because there are still millions of white people making their "white lives matter" or "blue lives matters" announcements to the world, like anyone has ever said or shown their lives don't matter. They have all the power and control and should be using it to make it seem like "all lives matter".

Fuck, I'm done. I stepped away from this site Friday because I was fed up. I'm pissed at the police for how they have ruined and tainted their roles in the community and I'm pissed that it has come to chants of disband the police, but people are tired of this cycle of inaction.

Everyone take care of themselves and use your voice to push for change in any way that you can. Maybe this will be a point in time we can look back on in 20 years and see as a time when we finally got it.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited June 2020
    Here’s why I don’t see an issue with all lives matter. After Michael Brown cops were targeted, ambushed and killed. Supporters of police started saying blue lives matter. Other non-black  groups have also been targeted. People were, and still are, placing signs in their window that read “black owned business” so that rioters and looters would skip over that place.
    I agree it is the minority of protestors, but you still didn’t have to watch much of the news to see mobs of violence. 

So to me when I hear “all lives matter” it’s a cry to stop all the violence. Protesting black violence by beating and sometimes killing innocent others because of their skin color or job will never be the right way to protest.

when I hear “all lives matter” I interpret that as saying don’t solve black violence with random blue or white violence, because that’s when it started.

And it doesn’t help their cause, people won’t forget George Floyd faster than when they start seeing pictures of cops who were murdered during a protest.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    hedonist said:

It doesn’t. But just like the people that like to carry guns around it makes them feel superior. They do it for themselves, not for any cause.

hippiemom = goodness