White Privilege

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    Apologies if this has already been stated but white privilege started in 1619, over 400 years ago. So violence after 400 years seems reasonable, no? I wish they would stop hurting businesses, but go ahead and burn precincts and beat as many cops as you want.  400 years is a long time to make up for. 
    100% wrong and offensive. Not all cops are bad and racists, most don’t deserve beatings. This is just a ridiculous statement. My brother will likely be in LA on riot patrol Monday, I’m praying his safety.
    If you condone violence against cops you are just as evil of a person who condones violence because of race.
    Cops are people, they have lives and families. Promoting going out and beating random cops makes you a horrible person if you meant that.
    You have every right to pray for your brothers safety, just like every black mother prayers for their children’s safety when they walk out the door every day. Ask your brother if he would have stopped the cop with his knee on the mans neck and if he’s honest he’ll tell you no, that they live by a code that they hold tight.  My father in law was a police officer and his brother as well and when we would sit talk and be honest they would tell you that their fellow officers were always protected and they all lie for each other. Times are changing because of cell phones otherwise you’d never know what really goes on. And how is grouping all police together any different than how cops group black people, Latinos, etc.  
    my brother has actually been written up more than once for not following direct orders from a supervisor that he felt were not justified. Like searching someone or seizing personal property. But go ahead and keep your stereotypes and beat all cops.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    @tbergs I am almost positive you are from Minnesota.  Question, is Minneapolis pretty racist or is this a isolated incident?  Were you surprised this happened?
    I can't speak on Minnesota personally, but Philando Castille's murderer walked free and that seems like it was just yesterday.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Apologies if this has already been stated but white privilege started in 1619, over 400 years ago. So violence after 400 years seems reasonable, no? I wish they would stop hurting businesses, but go ahead and burn precincts and beat as many cops as you want.  400 years is a long time to make up for. 
    Critical thinking isn't your thing huh? Beat as many cops as you want?  My god.
    That’s right, it’s EXACTLY how I feel, you’re just a teacher, you see all the fluff.  Walk in these peoples shoes or among them for years and years and years and you may feel differently.  You have no knowledge of what being a black person in America is like...at least I’ve been consistent in my opinions.  So you had another payment taken out for Sea, Hear, Now yet you stated you live ten minutes away and wouldn’t dare attend.  What a hypocrite you are 
    Yes advocating for violence against cops imo definitely represents a lack of critical thinking.  What could that possibly accomplish? 
    How could any white person have any real knowledge of what it is like being black? Do I get any street cred since I grew up in Neptune and went to a  predominantly black high school?

And as a teacher I feel I see beyond the fluff. 

I have no no clue what sea, hear and now has to do with this. 
    You’re entitled to your opinions but I’ve been critically thinking about these issues since the first day my husband stepped into Gratorford in Philadelphia over 30 years ago.  How many black people do you instruct?  Unless it’s a whole classroom full you know nothing. 
    Sea hear now goes to your character of always commenting on everything without even remembering what you said...you just write to participate with no critical recall.  Sure I’ll give you a pat on the back for your high school attendance...anything significant since then? 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    @tbergs I am almost positive you are from Minnesota.  Question, is Minneapolis pretty racist or is this a isolated incident?  Were you surprised this happened?
    I can't speak on Minnesota personally, but Philando Castille's murderer walked free and that seems like it was just yesterday.
    the lawyer who got that cop off in Castille is representing this cop in Floyd.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited May 2020
    Violence against cops is not only wrong and immoral and makes anyone who condones it just as bad as the idea they are protesting, but who do they think it’s going to help.
    A cop if ambushed and severely beat. If he survives, hows that going to impact his temperament next time he faces a similar crowd?  Isn’t the goal to make this nfs better, not worse. If you condone random violence you aren’t for change, you’re for division and revenge. I can’t believe anyone would actually say that’s ok. I hope your employers look at your social media and realize what kind of person you are and get fired like that lady did in the park last week.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    100% wrong and offensive. Not all cops are bad and racists, most don’t deserve beatings. This is just a ridiculous statement. My brother will likely be in LA on riot patrol Monday, I’m praying his safety.
    If you condone violence against cops you are just as evil of a person who condones violence because of race.
    Cops are people, they have lives and families. Promoting going out and beating random cops makes you a horrible person if you meant that.
    You have every right to pray for your brothers safety, just like every black mother prayers for their children’s safety when they walk out the door every day. Ask your brother if he would have stopped the cop with his knee on the mans neck and if he’s honest he’ll tell you no, that they live by a code that they hold tight.  My father in law was a police officer and his brother as well and when we would sit talk and be honest they would tell you that their fellow officers were always protected and they all lie for each other. Times are changing because of cell phones otherwise you’d never know what really goes on. And how is grouping all police together any different than how cops group black people, Latinos, etc.  
    my brother has actually been written up more than once for not following direct orders from a supervisor that he felt were not justified. Like searching someone or seizing personal property. But go ahead and keep your stereotypes and beat all cops.
    You’ve just proved my point, written up for being a decent person? All I’m saying is if it’s ok for that to happen to your brother, who is one of their brothers, then just think what minority’s have dealt with their entire lives. I’m really not that awful just disgusted. When and how does it end?
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Those who are objecting to the protests are also "condoning violence"; it's just that it's police violence that they're condoning. Because it's a certainty that other methods have not been effective in combating police violence. 
    I guess you’ve got to be okay with store owners using violence to combat the looters, etc, etc, etc 
    Yup.  Protesting is not burning and looting...
    Exactly
    Well, they've tried peacefully protesting (e.g. Kaepernick's anthem kneeling) and white amerikkka has a problem with that, too, so... protesting is now burning and looting. :i_dunno: I say go for it! Burn it all down.  Start over.
    And you can’t think of anything between kneeling down before and NFL game and burning an entire city of innocent people and dragging cops who had nothing tondo with the incident through the city?
    I can think of a lot of in between that was skipped over.
    mace1229 said:
    If you have 10 bad cops and 1000 “good” cops that do nothing to stop the ten bad cops you have 1010 bad cops.  At this point anyone that has been looking the other way is as guilty as the racist asshole doing the crime.  

These protests are getting out of control because nothing has changed for years.  Add that you have angry white people that just want to riot coopting the movement to just have a rush of rioting.  I was out supporting my community in Austin yesterday. The BLM organizers kept telling people don’t allow the movement to get coopted by people looking for violence that gives the cops reason to shoot and gives the news crews the footage they need to delegitimize our movement.  Eventually things started getting crazy because the opportunists started stirring the anger which when you have a lot of angry people isn’t hard to do.  We left when the pepper spray and rubber bullets started Flying but there were four hours of peaceful protests before bad actors took over and started throwing water bottles at cops.  As night wore on things got crazier.

the organizers of today’s “Justice for them all” march planned in Austin cancelled because they felt that their non violent protest was going to be taken over by the same group of largely white thrill seekers and couldn’t assure everyone’s safety.

so here we are you have white cops causing horrific problems and then you have white people stirring shit up and keeping peaceful protests from actually happening(at least in my city). What options are there. My black family in friends still have to live with clear and present stress everyday even after years of peaceful protests that have largely been talked as if they are overblown and that the problems of the black community aren’t as bad as people say.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    mace1229 said:
    Violence against cops is not only wrong and immoral and makes anyone who condones it just as bad as the idea they are protesting, but who do they think it’s going to help.
    A cop if ambushed and severely beat. If he survives, hows that going to impact his temperament next time he faces a similar crowd?  Isn’t the goal to make this nfs better, not worse. If you condone random violence you aren’t for change, you’re for division and revenge. I can’t believe anyone would actually say that’s ok. I hope your employers look at your social media and realize what kind of person you are and get fired like that lady did in the park last week.
    Do you see what you just wrote?  Of course his opinion is affected and his future encounters will be different than before, so how do you think black people feel..the same as the cop...but the cops assailant will be arrested, sent to jail and get beat (believe me I know) but the cop will become irate and kill someone.. why aren’t you getting it?  I’m not trying to be mean but you keep agreeing with double standards....it’s either everyone wanting peace or none...so none it is or at least it appears that way. 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You’ve just proved my point, written up for being a decent person? All I’m saying is if it’s ok for that to happen to your brother, who is one of their brothers, then just think what minority’s have dealt with their entire lives. I’m really not that awful just disgusted. When and how does it end?
    So I assume you’re okay with it if I beat up all the Muslims I see because Im still pissed about 9/11?
    I won’t of course, but sounds like you’d be okay with that?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Believe me; I never thought I would be sharing something from one of those “mommy “ sites I see shared by mom friends on Facebook.

All parents probably have fears.  Black parents get an extra layer.

https://www.allmomdoes.com/2020/05/11/when-my-beautiful-black-boy-grows-from-cute-to-a-threat/#
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

"beat as many cops as you want".  Does that include the cops who are marching with the protesters?  Does that include the ones who have spoken out in no uncertain terms against Derek Chauvin's despicable actions?  You would have them beaten?  Really???
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    No, actually you really do come across as "that awful."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

"beat as many cops as you want".  Does that include the cops who are marching with the protesters?  Does that include the ones who have spoken out in no uncertain terms against Derek Chauvin's despicable actions?  You would have them beaten?  Really???
    Yes. He/she has clarified several times. It’s disgusting. There are some bad cops. Most don’t deserve a beating.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Yes. He/she has clarified several times. It’s disgusting. There are some bad cops. Most don’t deserve a beating.
    Correct.  just like the vast of majority of protestors are good people protesting peacefully.  I was watching CNN last night and many protestors were saying that the looters and rioters don't represent them and were asking them to stop.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Agreed.  And I say that as one, like pretty much everybody here, who is outraged at what Chauvin and the other three cops who stood by and let it happen and as one who understands the anger around this incident.  They should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  But beat other, decent cops?  No way.    Who thinks like that? Would James Baldwin, a black man who pointed out that change has not happened in generation after generation go along with this "beat all cops" attitude?  No, I don't think so.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:
    mace1229 said:
    Skipped over? 

No. There have been so many other protests and social actions taken over the years and decades that haven’t led to change. In fact, some of the people on these boards complained about those ones, too. I remember how annoyed people were over roads being peacefully blocked. 
    Well that was what the comment I responded to stated. Since kneeling didn’t works let’s burn down the city.
    But now that you bring it up, have they been consistent? I don’t believe so. Those protests on a large scale blocking freeways are one weekend every few years. Can’t really expect that to be very effective. 
    So yeah, I still think there is a lot of ideas skipped over if you think riots, looting and arson are the next step in your voice.
    When teachers strike they don’t march on the capital 1 afternoon and expect change. They do it until the increase the education budget. Sometimes it takes weeks or months of consistent striking, marching and picketing on the capital steps. Not one weekend every few years then jump to burning down buildings when that doesn’t work.
    Are you really comparing teacher strikes to this? Teachers have all the power. They strike and the kids do not get to go to school and learn. Same when the nurses strike or the transportation system. They all have power to hold over the groups they are striking against. What do these protesters have that they can use that is comparable?  
    No I wasn’t comparing them. I was just saying even with teacher strikes, someone who as you claim had all the power, can still take months.

Can you give me an example of a large scar peaceful protest, other than the NFL kneeling, that has lasted consistently for months?
    There probably have been some. But nothing as disruptive as marching on a freeway would have been. Kneeling at the NFL disrupts no one.

I don’t think there has been a large scale peaceful police protest that was disruptive to every day life like on the scale of teacher strikes. And there can be. March on a major freeway every morning during rushour. That would be peaceful and more effective than burning down a city.

You can’t protest for a weekend and expect change. And that is often (not always) the case.

Under normal conditions, people don’t have the time or wherewithal to march on a freeway. It’s seems a more likely way to get arrested or killed as frustrated commuters will be tempted to run over protestors. Also, boxed in freeway walls are like a natural crowd control helping police maximize arrests. There’s limited traffic now so the freeway option really wouldn’t do much as far as visibility or getting people to care about the root problem.

Part of the problem now is people are unemployed, have too much time on their hands and have pent up frustration sitting at home for two months worried about a lethal pandemic. Most of us don’t want riots. But there is an ongoing crisis nobody has been able to solve.

And the bigger problem is racism in the US and giving positions of authority and power to racists. If there is an easy solution, it’s been 160 years since the Civil War and I’m not sure we have found it.

I agree marching on freeways wouldn’t be the best idea. I was responding to a comment where someone said marching on a freeway didn’t work so the next step is burning down the city. That’s ridiculous.
    But my point was there haven’t really been that many consistent rallies/protests that draw a lot of attention. When they do something like that, it lasts for a couple days and that’s it. Then a few years later people ask why wasn’t it effective? Don’t march in the freeway, circle the police buildings and block the parking lot, preventing people from leaving at the end of their shift. I don’t know, that’s what I thought of in about 4 seconds, I’m sure a group of people who plan ahead could come up with much better ideas.
    Of course it’s going to be inconvenient for everyone. That’s what makes it work. Saying they don’t have the time or wherewithal I don’t think is a good reason. I remember 15 years ago when supermarket employees went on strike. I’m sure it was tough on them going without pay for months, but after a while people got tired of empty stores and they agreed to their demands. A couple years later the sanitation dept went on strike. Again, I’m sure it was very difficult for them, but after months of trash not being collected  they got their demands. Same with teachers, they don’t want to burn sick time or spend spring break marching on the capital, but if they wanted change they have to sometimes.
    These weekend/week long riots and protests solve nothing. 
    Really it would take a leader with clear demands to organize a peaceful but disruptive way to demonstrate. Just saying we want equality won’t matter, there needs to be specific tangible demands that can be documented. But unfortunately too many of the would-be leaders just thrive and benefit off the violence instead of channeling the energy into something constructive.

would it be better to protest monetarily? A Black Tea Party? Stop paying taxes, bleed the police departments of money instead of burning innocent property and risking death?
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Those who are objecting to the protests are also "condoning violence"; it's just that it's police violence that they're condoning. Because it's a certainty that other methods have not been effective in combating police violence. 
    I guess you’ve got to be okay with store owners using violence to combat the looters, etc, etc, etc 
    Yup.  Protesting is not burning and looting...
    Exactly
    Well, they've tried peacefully protesting (e.g. Kaepernick's anthem kneeling) and white amerikkka has a problem with that, too, so... protesting is now burning and looting. :i_dunno: I say go for it! Burn it all down.  Start over.
    And you can’t think of anything between kneeling down before and NFL game and burning an entire city of innocent people and dragging cops who had nothing tondo with the incident through the city?
    I can think of a lot of in between that was skipped over.
    mace1229 said:
    If you have 10 bad cops and 1000 “good” cops that do nothing to stop the ten bad cops you have 1010 bad cops.  At this point anyone that has been looking the other way is as guilty as the racist asshole doing the crime.  

These protests are getting out of control because nothing has changed for years.  Add that you have angry white people that just want to riot coopting the movement to just have a rush of rioting.  I was out supporting my community in Austin yesterday. The BLM organizers kept telling people don’t allow the movement to get coopted by people looking for violence that gives the cops reason to shoot and gives the news crews the footage they need to delegitimize our movement.  Eventually things started getting crazy because the opportunists started stirring the anger which when you have a lot of angry people isn’t hard to do.  We left when the pepper spray and rubber bullets started Flying but there were four hours of peaceful protests before bad actors took over and started throwing water bottles at cops.  As night wore on things got crazier.

the organizers of today’s “Justice for them all” march planned in Austin cancelled because they felt that their non violent protest was going to be taken over by the same group of largely white thrill seekers and couldn’t assure everyone’s safety.

so here we are you have white cops causing horrific problems and then you have white people stirring shit up and keeping peaceful protests from actually happening(at least in my city). What options are there. My black family in friends still have to live with clear and present stress everyday even after years of peaceful protests that have largely been talked as if they are overblown and that the problems of the black community aren’t as bad as people say.
    Glad to see someone actually gets it.  So you think all these people who don’t get it turn their backs when WMA is sung at a concert?  He’ll no, there’re all singing and jumping around.  
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Agreed.  And I say that as one, like pretty much everybody here, who is outraged at what Chauvin and the other three cops who stood by and let it happen and as one who understands the anger around this incident.  They should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  But beat other, decent cops?  No way.    Who thinks like that? Would James Baldwin, a black man who pointed out that change has not happened in generation after generation go along with this "beat all cops" attitude?  No, I don't think so.
    There are some bad black people and some good but I guess they all deserve to die....double standards people
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Critical thinking isn't your thing huh? Beat as many cops as you want?  My god.
    That’s right, it’s EXACTLY how I feel, you’re just a teacher, you see all the fluff.  Walk in these peoples shoes or among them for years and years and years and you may feel differently.  You have no knowledge of what being a black person in America is like...at least I’ve been consistent in my opinions.  So you had another payment taken out for Sea, Hear, Now yet you stated you live ten minutes away and wouldn’t dare attend.  What a hypocrite you are 
    Yes advocating for violence against cops imo definitely represents a lack of critical thinking.  What could that possibly accomplish? 
    How could any white person have any real knowledge of what it is like being black? Do I get any street cred since I grew up in Neptune and went to a  predominantly black high school?

And as a teacher I feel I see beyond the fluff. 

I have no no clue what sea, hear and now has to do with this. 
    You’re entitled to your opinions but I’ve been critically thinking about these issues since the first day my husband stepped into Gratorford in Philadelphia over 30 years ago.  How many black people do you instruct?  Unless it’s a whole classroom full you know nothing. 
    Sea hear now goes to your character of always commenting on everything without even remembering what you said...you just write to participate with no critical recall.  Sure I’ll give you a pat on the back for your high school attendance...anything significant since then? 
    I changed my mind about a festival, oh the humanity!
    Significant since high school....I volunteered for a few years teaching english to the hispanic community in Red Bank, NJ.   I became a teacher and taught the Civil Rights Movement and the Holocaust for 18 years.  I had a kid then free time escaped me lol.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Correct.  just like the vast of majority of protestors are good people protesting peacefully.  I was watching CNN last night and many protestors were saying that the looters and rioters don't represent them and were asking them to stop.  
    NYPD just plowed into a group of protesters. deserved, justified?  I’m sure all you cop lovers will agree that it’s justified 
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

There are some bad black people and some good but I guess they all deserve to die....double standards people
    Will they be prosecuted? You say they should so how do you think that will go?
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Bingo, that is the perfect question to ask at this time.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mickeyrat said:
    Mennonite Activists join the fight for justice....

I

N.J. police chief carries banner, helps lead march in peaceful protest of George Floyd killing

https://www.nj.com/camden/2020/05/nj-police-chief-carries-banner-helps-lead-march-in-peaceful-protest-of-george-floyd-killing.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Camden, N.J.

https://youtu.be/o7CzhWxfDrY
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

NYPD just plowed into a group of protesters. deserved, justified?  I’m sure all you cop lovers will agree that it’s justified 
    Your choice of words is part of the problem.  You are part of the problem.  

What exactly gets someone labeled a "Cop lover"?
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

Answer my question, is 400 years a reasonable amount of time to peacefully acquire justice? I make all these comments and you all concentrate on my belief that cops should be treated equally. They are not gods. I asked what the solution is, I conveyed my sadness for those being hurt by the fires that are innocent, people losing their businesses, their livelihoods. Sometimes violence is the only answer...but yes direct it at the group who committed it.  
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Awful to you but not to my minority friends and family. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Mennonite Activists join the fight for justice....

I

N.J. police chief carries banner, helps lead march in peaceful protest of George Floyd killing

https://www.nj.com/camden/2020/05/nj-police-chief-carries-banner-helps-lead-march-in-peaceful-protest-of-george-floyd-killing.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Camden, N.J.

https://youtu.be/o7CzhWxfDrY
    saw a post that the Houston Chief of Police was marching with protestors.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I have no idea what you mean by this.

brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Awful to you but not to my minority friends and family. 

So you use us as a scapegoat.  Lovely.

I'll do my best to ignore you.