White Privilege

Comments

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    For anyone saying that there shouldn’t be protesting, there should be peaceful remembrance of the fallen just do not get it.  This is so much bigger than one incident.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    For anyone saying that there shouldn’t be protesting, there should be peaceful remembrance of the fallen just do not get it.  This is so much bigger than one incident.
    Perhaps, but I really feel for the small businesses here who were already struggling just get completely wiped out by some assholes.

What is the point of hurting other innocents in the process?
    edited May 2020
    There is no rationale point to that.  However, this is way past rationality.  The majority of those are trying to make their voice heard peacefully.  I don’t believe it’s mindful to condemn the violence by saying, you should be remembering the victims.  How can you mourn when the problem still exists?  This is about a demographic who are afraid and are retaliating from not seeing change.  There’s a good chance this would not have come to this, if there had been something done after each and every incident.  Now it’s come to this.  I don’t condone the violence, but who am I to scold those?  I’ve lived in white mid America my entire life and am a 38-year-old white male with a middle management position at a company primarily managed by white males.  I will never understand the pain and fear of those acting the way they are now.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Those who are objecting to the protests are also "condoning violence"; it's just that it's police violence that they're condoning. Because it's a certainty that other methods have not been effective in combating police violence. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Those who are objecting to the protests are also "condoning violence"; it's just that it's police violence that they're condoning. Because it's a certainty that other methods have not been effective in combating police violence. 
    I guess you’ve got to be okay with store owners using violence to combat the looters, etc, etc, etc 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJPOWER said:
    I guess you’ve got to be okay with store owners using violence to combat the looters, etc, etc, etc 
    Yup.  Protesting is not burning and looting...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318

CM189191 said:
    What’s the difference between Black protests and Black riots?

https://thegrio.com/2020/05/28/george-floyd-minneapolis-riots/

I have never heard of cops firing their weapons carelessly in situations of protest.  That would be news to me and if true those officers that shoot blindly would/should be held accountable but I don't think it can really be proven.

Interesting take and view but hard to swallow all of it and his last statement paints you in a corner if you disagree.
    Never heard of Kent State or Jackson State, I guess? Chicago 1968?
    So it hasn't happened in 50 years is what you are telling me?
    Different than it’s never happened because you hadn’t heard of it, eh?
    Completely different here of course.  The author is talking about the recent riots/protests and you bring up something that happened 50 years ago where the cops actually drew down and shot people.  He is describing police officers shooting at nothing.

Completely different.

Thanks
    That “nothing” you refer to were empty streets? “Nothing.” I’m not sure that streets filled with protesters should be considered “nothing.” And isn’t one of the cardinal rules of “responsible” gun handling is to know what is downrange from where you’re shooting and the potential consequences? Maybe you remember the young, female Red Sox fan shot in the face with a bean bag? Recent enough for you?

Yea, nothing. 
    There you go again adding things that have NOTHING to do with the article.  Do you even read any of this or you fire right from the hip?

To bring you up to speed again the article claimed that "Many of the fires and broken windows attributed to rioters are actually the result of police recklessly shooting off live ammunition with no accountability."

This is something I never heard or read about before and what the crux of my argument is.  I have no idea where your tangents are coming from or have to do with my initial thoughts? So please fell free to comment with something relevant to my comment.

Anyone else having a hard time like he is with what I said?

From the article, as you pointed out:

Many of the fires and broken windows attributed to rioters are actually the result of police recklessly shooting off live ammunition with no accountability.

From your post:

I have never heard of cops firing their weapons carelessly in situations of protest.  That would be news to me and if true those officers that shoot blindly would/should be held accountable but I don't think it can really be proven.

The bolded part is what I was responding to originally. I gave you past examples. You then reference "shooting at nothing," while the author of the article is claiming that the "nothing" is actually protesters and places of businesses.

Relevent enough for you?
    Got it.  It's amazing though that you pulled instances from 50 years ago to prove a point when we are discussing an article that was talking about the last few years.
    I guess the young Red Sox fan wasn't recent enough for you. Got it.

Rodney King's beating was 29 years ago. Nothing has changed. Nothing.
    That’s exactly what I thought. 

Please note that the protests began because the cop(s) were about to be released without any kind of prosecutions. That says it all.

There are a lot of pacific protests too, far less interesting for the medias I guess.

And yes violence is never the the way to go even if the uprising is understandable.
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    edited May 2020
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    No it’s not, unfortunately that is what it has come to.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    nicknyr15 said:
    Kill the white folk!
    kill the white folk!

Why are you doing this?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Not sure where this originated but here it is.....

I have privilege as a white person because I can do all of these things without thinking twice:
    I can go birding (#ChristianCooper)
    I can go jogging (#AmaudArbery)
    I can relax in the comfort of my own home (#BothemSean and #AtatianaJefferson)
    I can ask for help after being in a car crash (#JonathanFerrell and #RenishaMcBride)
    I can have a cellphone (#StephonClark)
    I can leave a party to get to safety (#JordanEdwards)
    I can play loud music (#JordanDavis)
    I can sell CDs (#AltonSterling)
    I can sleep (#AiyanaJones and #breonataylor)
    I can walk from the corner store (#MikeBrown)
    I can play cops and robbers (#TamirRice)
    I can go to church (#Charleston9)
    I can walk home with Skittles (#TrayvonMartin)
    I can hold a hair brush while leaving my own bachelor party (#SeanBell)
    I can party on New Years (#OscarGrant)
    I can get a normal traffic ticket (#SandraBland)
    I can lawfully carry a weapon (#PhilandoCastile)
    I can break down on a public road with car problems (#CoreyJones)
    I can shop at Walmart (#JohnCrawford)
    I can have a disabled vehicle (#TerrenceCrutcher)
    I can read a book in my own car (#KeithScott)
    I can be a 10yr old walking with my grandfather (#CliffordGlover)
    I can decorate for a party (#ClaudeReese)
    I can ask a cop a question (#RandyEvans)
    I can cash a check in peace (#YvonneSmallwood)
    I can take out my wallet (#AmadouDiallo)
    I can run (#WalterScott)
    I can breathe (#EricGarner)
    I can live (#FreddieGrey)
    I CAN BE ARRESTED WITHOUT THE FEAR OF BEING MURDERED (#GeorgeFloyd)
    White privilege is real.
    Take a minute to consider a black person’s experience today.
    #BlackLivesMatter

My wife  was telling me about this black guy she read about who said that in his own neighborhood if he wants to go for a walk he takes his fluffy little dog and his daughter with him so the cops will see him as a daddy and not as a "suspicious black male".  When I think about that and try to picture how that would feel.  I mean, damn, there are places in America- lots of places- where just walking around being male and black makes you suspect.   Well, that just blows me away.  I just can't imagine having to live like that.  What a sick society we have become.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    What’s the difference between Black protests and Black riots?

https://thegrio.com/2020/05/28/george-floyd-minneapolis-riots/

Interesting take and view but hard to swallow all of it and his last statement paints you in a corner if you disagree.

careless cops are what started this whole mess
    Exactly, the cause to the effect.  What will be done so we don’t come to this again?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    Well, they've tried peacefully protesting (e.g. Kaepernick's anthem kneeling) and white amerikkka has a problem with that, too, so... protesting is now burning and looting. :i_dunno: I say go for it! Burn it all down.  Start over.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    Well, they've tried peacefully protesting (e.g. Kaepernick's anthem kneeling) and white amerikkka has a problem with that, too, so... protesting is now burning and looting. :i_dunno: I say go for it! Burn it all down.  Start over.
    Go help then.  please post pics.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Columbus Oh curfew in effect for downtown begins at 6pm. Citywide curfew 10pm to 6am...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited May 2020
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    And you believe “burning it (as in their own fellow citizens’ businesses) down” will make their situation better?  I respectfully disagree with your opinion and the logic behind it...but I guess it works for forest fires...And I think the out of towners with this attitude are only going to make bad worse for the people that actually depend on the city’s businesses and services.  
    Somehow this will get interpreted that I think there shouldn’t be anger over the blatant racism exhibited by the sick cops.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    And you believe “burning it (as in their own fellow citizens’ businesses) down” will make their situation better?  I respectfully disagree with your opinion and the logic behind it...but I guess it works for forest fires...

I think we need to metaphorically burn down racism and hate.

As for forest fires- more prescribed burns, yes!   Massive, out of control burns, no!

Half a mile from us 😢

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    edited May 2020

Protestors are burning police cruisers in Cleveland.
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    And you believe “burning it (as in their own fellow citizens’ businesses) down” will make their situation better?  I respectfully disagree with your opinion and the logic behind it...but I guess it works for forest fires...

I think we need to metaphorically burn down racism and hate.

As for forest fires- more prescribed burns, yes!   Massive, out of control burns, no!
    Racism needs to be extinguished, suffocated, drowned out (see what I did there, ha)!
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    It’s starting to look like this could be the civil war MAGA has always wanted.  Who could have seen this happening in a country that exists in the image of a man that needs domestic enemies to thrive?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkyb9b/far-right-extremists-are-hoping-to-turn-the-george-floyd-protests-into-a-new-civil-war?fbclid=IwAR1yvu-ERCybrMnbUuCzPz2QVzlfwJ-8-X38eOeeuQx89E0t7ANPo3XWff0
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    I am so disappointed in my fellow Angelenos. I can hear them through the window. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I understand the term “White privilege” but never really cared for it.  All the things it stands for is the base, the normal, so it’s not privilege. 

But I get that it’s just an attempt to help those that have that base condition to recognize that not everyone has that base condition.

Of all the privilege I have as a white person, the fewer interaction with police and the ability to go out in my neighborhood, even through new construction, and not actually be worried are easily the best. To think that black people get stopped and harassed by police for everything and lots of times nothing and the fact they have fear walking in their neighborhood is sick and sad. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    Let them then start with your house. Hell yeah. 
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Mennonite Activists join the fight for justice....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    RideRick said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    Nice.
    Wishing a fellow 10c member's house burns down.
    Wtf
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    RideRick said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    Nice.
    Wtf
    Hahahaha cherry picking here a little? Dude said “burn it all down”... but go ahead and pretend like the response to try and get him to think how that nonsense could effect him Is worse. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    RideRick said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    Nice.
    Wtf
    Hahahaha cherry picking here a little? Dude said “burn it all down”... but go ahead and pretend like the response to try and get him to think how that nonsense could effect him Is worse. 
    Haaaaa. Seriously 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Glad it makes you guys laugh.
    I hope nobody burns either of your homes down - stay safe.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    RideRick said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    Nice.
    Wtf
    Protestors I respect and applaud.  Looters and rioters no way.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......