The Wire

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    We couldn't make it through the first season.
    It was not nearly so well written, directed, and acted as it's reputation on here proclaims.
    I can easily imagine it getting better, but it was all cliché and little substance in the first few episodes.
    And thus, my opinion of you has lessened.
    Maybe it gets better, but the first half of the first season is basically on par with CSI, aside from Omar.
    The infamous and highly touted Stringer Bell is barely in it and the cop clichés are far too thick. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    An Irish alcoholic cop with a marriage on the rocks and his sassy black partner struggling against their corrupt Sarge who doesn't give a shit about anything?

Sounds like an 80's action flick that was aborted when Lethal Weapon beat them to it.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    It was not nearly so well written, directed, and acted as it's reputation on here proclaims.
    I can easily imagine it getting better, but it was all cliché and little substance in the first few episodes.
    Maybe it gets better, but the first half of the first season is basically on par with CSI, aside from Omar.
    The infamous and highly touted Stringer Bell is barely in it and the cop clichés are far too thick. 
    CSI? Ugh.....come on.

Does it move slow? Absolutely. Is there a good storyline? Yes! Absolutely. You just have to devote the time and pay attention to every little detail. Nothing is wrapped up in 43 minutes like CSI--that's kind of the point. Nothing ever really gets wrapped up. That's the struggle they face.
    When my brother told me he was struggling through the first season as well, after making fun of his attention deficit disorder, I told him to treat it as a documentary. Pretend you're studying for an exam or something. Trust me, man. You have to go back and stick with it. It does get more entertaining as the season's move on. It is RIVETIING television and you absolutely will not be disappointed after making it through to the end (even if the last season is clearly their worst).
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Like I said, I don't have any trouble believing it gets better, but it doesn't start as well as other smash successes like Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc...
    Most of which lose their quality steadily after season 2 or 3...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    rgambs said:
    An Irish alcoholic cop with a marriage on the rocks and his sassy black partner struggling against their corrupt Sarge who doesn't give a shit about anything?

Sounds like an 80's action flick that was aborted when Lethal Weapon beat them to it.
    2/3s of the Philly police force are alcoholic Irish cops 
    rgambs said:
    Like I said, I don't have any trouble believing it gets better, but it doesn't start as well as other smash successes like Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc...
    And the difference here is the show gets better and better (until the last season). I don't think there are many shows that can make such a claim.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Clichés don't come from thin air lol

I will try it again, they had just set the wire when I dropped out, and the narrative was getting going, but I wasn't impressed with the acting from the leads and the wifey wasn't into it so it dropped off the queue.

• MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    edited August 2019
    I did forget to mention first few episodes of season 1 dragged,  and maybe I had super high expectations. That's why I try to avoid all the hype with certain shows. But you continue and start to see the big picture here. Maybe it is just a simple show but the way all the characters cross paths and  mingle is awesome.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited August 2019
    I did forget to mention first few episodes of season 1 dragged,  and maybe I had super high expectations. That's why I try to avoid all the hype with certain shows. But you continue and start to see the big picture here. Maybe it is just a simple show but the way all the characters cross paths and  mingle is awesome.
    Best advice I gave people was to get past the first 5 episodes then it starts to click. And the show was anything but simple. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Some is payed up for TV, but I guarantee David Simon and Ed Burns know far more about that world and what it is like that you give them credit for.  And a lot of it is based on their time actually working in the shit. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    Best advice I gave people was to get past the first 5 episodes then it starts to click. And the show was anything but simple. 
    Yes! I was trying to think of the right word...it starts to click. Ahhhh it just makes me so happy Lol
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited August 2019
    I kind of feel bad for people who still haven't watched The Wire. Can't make people get it no matter what you say though. Yes, it would be slow at times, but I think the writing was outstanding. I think the opening Snot Boogie scene with McNulty is perfect. Sets the tone and the "fuck" episode is one of the most brilliant scenes I've ever watched. So perfect for those two characters. I got in to the show early after reading rave reviews before season 3. Rented seasons 1 and 2 on disc from Blockbuster and loved them. Took a long time before I was able to watch the whole series because I didn't get cable, but I have now watched the entire series 4 times. Most of any show. Only other show that has even made me want to commit to a full rewatch is Breaking Bad. Not often an entire series is that well done where you don't skip episodes, or in this case, really can't.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
    It is also a depressing as fuck show though, especially season 4.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Agree that it can be a bummer. 
    Such great acting and characters.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited August 2019
    The show just feels real as fuck at all times even during slowness. Daniels character is incredible! Couldn't really figure out what his deal was at the beginning but he is so good
    Post edited by MissPennyLane on
    The show just feels real as fuck at all times even during slowness. Daniels character is incredible! Couldn't really figure out what his deal was at the beginning but he is so good
    I agree on Daniels. I really disliked him in the beginning, but by Season 3 he is amazing. I would recommend Bosch if you haven't seen that show. Not as heavy or well written as The Wire, but you get to see Lance Reddick in another role he is good at and a flip side to Marlo as a detective. Plus, Titus Welliver is great.
    tbergs said:
    I agree on Daniels. I really disliked him in the beginning, but by Season 3 he is amazing. I would recommend Bosch if you haven't seen that show. Not as heavy or well written as The Wire, but you get to see Lance Reddick in another role he is good at and a flip side to Marlo as a detective. Plus, Titus Welliver is great.
    Thanks for the heads up on Bosch. My cop friend highly recommends Snowfall on Fx which I'm going to start after wire.
    edited August 2019
    tbergs said:
    It is also a depressing as fuck show though, especially season 4.
    Season 4 just tugs at the ol' heartstrings from start to finish. It's one long, never ending, gut punch. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Alright I just have to say one last thing. The scene with Bunk in a Hawaiian shirt chilling on the boat was probably the greatest moment & funniest thing I have ever seen.
    I'M GOING IN....

Wife and I decided to do a Corona Re-watch. 

Anyone care to join us?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'M GOING IN....

Anyone care to join us?
    I contemplated this last month. Just finished Hunters, but I also have the new season of Ozark to watch. I can probably do both though. I'm in!
    tbergs said:
    I'M GOING IN....

Anyone care to join us?
    I contemplated this last month. Just finished Hunters, but I also have the new season of Ozark to watch. I can probably do both though. I'm in!
    Yeah I did Ozark first. Amazing season.

Pilot episode down! A lot to go!

Wish it would be in 4k though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    tbergs said:
    I'M GOING IN....

Anyone care to join us?
    Is Hunters good??..its on my list..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    tbergs said:
    I'M GOING IN....

Anyone care to join us?
    I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on that one
    chinese-happy.jpg
    23scidoo said:
    tbergs said:
    I'M GOING IN....

Anyone care to join us?
    I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on that one
    I really enjoyed it. I'd recommend watching it. Nothing top tier, but good acting and action.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I watched the first episode of this again the other night after the wife went to sleep.  So good.  The snot boogie opening is such a great intro to the show.
    I watched the first episode of this again the other night after the wife went to sleep.  So good.  The snot boogie opening is such a great intro to the show.
    It's America bro, we have to
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Best ending to a series I have seen.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    23scidoo said:
    tbergs said:
    I'M GOING IN....

Anyone care to join us?
    It's a good watch especially if you like the idea of nazis  being hunted down and killed.