Options

The Wire

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Good article.
    Is Simon implying he puts Treme over The Wire?
    Interesting.
    Need to rewatch, but I don't put them in the same category of great.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    CROJAM95 said:
    RIP, Great Actor

Wonder if its another Fentanyl incident, you never know whats in that shit on the street...but if dealers are cutting Coke with Fentanyl they should never see the light of day

3 people died over the weekend at a hollywood party, one of the guys was a comedian...Lone survivor was Darius Rucker's ex gf....hope she pulls through to give info on the douche dealers identity(s)
     wonder no more.....

4 charged in overdose death of actor Michael K. Williams
    By LARRY NEUMEISTER
    Today

NEW YORK (AP) — Four men believed to be members of a drug distribution crew have been charged in the overdose death of actor Michael K. Williams five months ago, authorities said Wednesday.

All four were arrested Tuesday and were in custody based on criminal complaints in Manhattan federal court, including one defendant who was arrested in Puerto Rico, according to a news release from U.S. Attorney Damian Williams and New York City Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell.

Three defendants were scheduled to make initial appearances in Manhattan federal court to face narcotics conspiracy charges alleging the distribution of fentanyl-laced heroin that resulted in the death of Williams, who gained fame playing Omar Little on “The Wire.”

New York City's medical examiner earlier ruled that Williams, 54, died of acute drug intoxication Sept. 6. He was found dead by family members in his penthouse apartment. At that time, the medical examiner’s office ruled Williams’ death an accident.

The U.S. attorney said the crimes and charges resulted from a “public health crisis."

“And it has to stop. Deadly opioids like fentanyl and heroin don’t care about who you are or what you’ve accomplished. They just feed addiction and lead to tragedy," the prosecutor said.

Sewell said police detectives in Brooklyn “lived this case, never relenting in their investigation until they could bring a measure of justice to Michael K. Williams and his family."

According to court papers, Williams' death resulted from drugs sold by a drug trafficking organization that has operated since at least August 2020 in Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood.

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Hope Wire fans check out We Own this City.  Almost a real life version of the show. First two episodes have been great. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    I still haven't watched the Wire. Not sure why I'm so far behind
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I still haven't watched the Wire. Not sure why I'm so far behind
    shit I should rewatch just on spec

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Deadwood is the only show that surpasses the wire in greatness in my humble opinion.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    Deadwood is the only show that surpasses the wire in greatness in my humble opinion.
    Loved Deadwood....that's another one that was fully released before we ever watched it.  It's nice to be able to watch it from start to finish without waiting 9 months in between seasons.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Loved Deadwood....that's another one that was fully released before we ever watched it.  It's nice to be able to watch it from start to finish without waiting 9 months in between seasons.
    Yeah same here! My wife bought me the complete series for xmas years ago. It was so much fun to have had all that extra time during the holidays to binge watch what would end up being an all-timer.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited May 2022
    I have attempted to start watching this show 3 times now, and somehow I just can't get through the first or second episode, lol. I believe it must be a great show since so many rave about it, but I dunno... it sure doesn't catch me right from the beginning like all the great shows that I have loved. I really wish the very beginning of the series was better so I could get past the gate. I'll keep trying.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    One of the greatest shows of all time!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have attempted to start watching this show 3 times now, and somehow I just can't get through the first or second episode, lol. I believe it must be a great show since so many rave about it, but I dunno... it sure doesn't catch me right from the beginning like all the great shows that I have loved. I really wish the very beginning of the series was better so I could get past the gate. I'll keep trying.
    IMO it's easily one of, if not the best show I've ever seen. If you can power through the slow start, it's well worth it. 
  • Options
    wait til omar hits the scene.....

• Options
    It's definitely a slow start, but well worth the investment of your time. Every season feels different, which is great for when you'll inevitably watch the show again. 

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    exact situation with us....it just doesn't grab us and then we try again and start all over and probably end up watching the same episodes and just don't go back to it.

SOunds like we just need to stick with it. Just about every ranking I have ever seen puts it above all of the other HBO series

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,606
    Snot boogie!
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    edited May 2022
    PJ_Soul said:
    exact situation with us....it just doesn't grab us and then we try again and start all over and probably end up watching the same episodes and just don't go back to it.

SOunds like we just need to stick with it. Just about every ranking I have ever seen puts it above all of the other HBO series
    Before I started the series, every person who recommended it to me said you just have to push through the first 4-5 episodes and then it starts to click. You start to really see the players and the game.  And, at least for me, they were correct. That is what I tell people who want to start it now. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Before I started the series, every person who recommended it to me said you just have to push through the first 4-5 episodes and then it starts to click. You start to really see the players and the game.  And, at least for me, they were correct. That is what I tell people who want to start it now. 
    Same for me. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    PJ_Soul said:

Same for me. 
    This is true for most people. I guess the fact that it's 20 years old now makes it more difficult to stick with it too but, man, is it worth it. I'm always jealous when I hear people watching it for the first time
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    PJ_Soul said:

Same for me. 
    This is true for most people. I guess the fact that it's 20 years old now makes it more difficult to stick with it too but, man, is it worth it. I'm always jealous when I hear people watching it for the first time
    I watched it all the the way through for the 10th or 11th time. Every single time I notice something I haven't  noticed before. This time I learned that Bushmills is Catholic whiskey.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Same for me. 
    I watched it all the the way through for the 10th or 11th time. Every single time I notice something I haven't  noticed before. This time I learned that Bushmills is Catholic whiskey.

You have it backwards... Jameson is what he ordered... bartender only had Bushmills to which he replied "That's Protestant whiskey" but he drank it anyway, of course  :D (the Bushmills distillery is in Northern Ireland, as opposed to the Republic)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Same for me. 

You have it backwards... Jameson is what he ordered... bartender only had Bushmills to which he replied "That's Protestant whiskey" but he drank it anyway, of course  :D (the Bushmills distillery is in Northern Ireland, as opposed to the Republic)
    You're right.
    I was thinking about it after I posted and realized my mistake.
    Decided not to edit to see who knew their Wire details.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I started finally watching this show.  I am 9 episodes in.  

It is pretty good.  I'm not sure it lives up to the hype I hear about it (yet).  Its still good though.  I get the authenticity needed, but a lot of the time I cant understand what people are saying, whether its the dialect of the people from the projects, or the police talking about procedures and ranks.  Its almost like I need subtitles to walk me through and untangle it all in real time.  

One thing I do like is the characters.  I pretty much like all the characters and feel strongly about their fates.  

20 years though, it hasnt aged too well.  The "Wire" is technology-based and things have come a long way since then!  Also, shows of the 2010s and 2020s have come more tightly-packed than this one.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Same for me. 

You're right.
    I was thinking about it after I posted and realized my mistake.
    Decided not to edit to see who knew their Wire details.
    This was less about my knowledge of the wire as it was my knowledge of Irish whiskey.  :D

MayDay10 said:

It is pretty good.  I'm not sure it lives up to the hype I hear about it (yet).  Its still good though.  I get the authenticity needed, but a lot of the time I cant understand what people are saying, whether its the dialect of the people from the projects, or the police talking about procedures and ranks.  Its almost like I need subtitles to walk me through and untangle it all in real time.  

One thing I do like is the characters.  I pretty much like all the characters and feel strongly about their fates.  

20 years though, it hasnt aged too well.  The "Wire" is technology-based and things have come a long way since then!  Also, shows of the 2010s and 2020s have come more tightly-packed than this one.  
    Just the fact that they have an opening sequence w/ a song & credits goes to show how dated it is / how far tv shows have come. 

I hear you about the technology, I have to imagine very few people under the age of 30 could relate to the whole beeper / payphone thing. 

RE: the hype, I can say personally, the more i watched, the more I loved. Even when the plot shifts to city hall / the local politics in later seasons, an angle I really didn't like, I was still as engaged as I've ever been with a TV show. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MayDay10 said:

Mr. Mayday....with all due respect, you're in no position to judge the show yet. Season 2 is better than 1. Season 3 is better than 2. Season 4 is better than 3. 

I really liked season 1, but this is the only show of it's caliber I have ever seen where I felt like it only got better and better the deeper you got....with 5 being the exception (still good, just not out of this world good like the previous few).

You have let it breathe. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I have two episodes left of We Own This City. Is there a separate thread? The wife and I are enthralled with it. It's fascinating and so depressing at the same time, knowing it's a true story. But it's so well done. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Mr. Mayday....with all due respect, you're in no position to judge the show yet. Season 2 is better than 1. Season 3 is better than 2. Season 4 is better than 3. 

I really liked season 1, but this is the only show of it's caliber I have ever seen where I felt like it only got better and better the deeper you got....with 5 being the exception (still good, just not out of this world good like the previous few).

You have let it breathe. 
    Exactly this.
    It had to he taken as a whole.
    Kind of spoiler alert....
    Season 5 was a way to wrap some things up and bring back some characters for one last hurrah

Spoilet alert....
    As much as I wasn't that interested in the journalism angle I loved the Bunk/Lester chasing Chris and Snoop through the vacants plotline.
  • Options
    I have two episodes left of We Own This City. Is there a separate thread? The wife and I are enthralled with it. It's fascinating and so depressing at the same time, knowing it's a true story. But it's so well done. 
    I haven't started yet, but am pretty excited to dive in when I can make some time. 
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

My kids watch almost everything with subtitles. I kind of converted to that. Sometimes I do tend to watch the words more than the show but at least they are there if you have to rewind and figure it out.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    MayDay10 said:

My kids watch almost everything with subtitles. I kind of converted to that. Sometimes I do tend to watch the words more than the show but at least they are there if you have to rewind and figure it out.
    I normally watch "TV" on my smartphone with headphones as my kids are falling asleep.  Whenever I watch anything on a conventional television (or video games), I use subtitles.  Its a combination between hearing loss due to loud concerts, and some form of ADHD that was never diagnosed (I need to hear, think, then store words).