The Democratic Presidential Debates

1224225226227228230»

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

A sexual assault allegation against Joe Biden has ignited a firestorm of controversy

A woman says Biden assaulted her in 1993. Now #TimesUpBiden is trending.

One of them was Tara Reade, who said Biden used to “put his hand on my shoulder and run his finger up my neck” when she worked in his Senate office in 1993.

Reade now says there was more to her experience with Biden. In an interview with podcast host Katie Halper, which aired Wednesday, Reade says Biden sexually assaulted her, pushing her against a wall and penetrating her with his fingers. When she pulled away, she says, he said he thought she “liked” him.

/.../

Biden’s campaign on Friday denied Reade’s allegation. “Women have a right to tell their story, and reporters have an obligation to rigorously vet those claims,” deputy campaign manager Kate Bedingfield said in a statement to media. “We encourage them to do so, because these accusations are false.”

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/27/21195935/joe-biden-sexual-assault-allegation

Oddly it hasn't garnered very much attention at all here in the states, the media must have not been granted approval to run with it. Funny how that works sometimes.
    Occam's razor : maybe the media knows it's a bullshit smear campaign.  You seriously don't think they would be all over this? 
    Dangerous to so easily dismiss a women coming forward with these types of allegations. Not very Democratic for sure. Our media thinks it’s important to share what a celebrity wears while getting their morning coffee...this seems more like a don’t say anything situation considering it involves a man running for president.

Media != Allegations

She can testify, it be deposed.  She can legally compel Biden to respond.  That's an allegation. 

I'll wait
    You believe anything immediately. But only when it aligns with your beliefs. It’s quite funny to observe. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    CM189191 said:
    nvm
    2 for 2!
    Just keep your boring attitude in your little Biden defense force-hole. 

Thank you.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

A sexual assault allegation against Joe Biden has ignited a firestorm of controversy

One of them was Tara Reade, who said Biden used to “put his hand on my shoulder and run his finger up my neck” when she worked in his Senate office in 1993.

Reade now says there was more to her experience with Biden. In an interview with podcast host Katie Halper, which aired Wednesday, Reade says Biden sexually assaulted her, pushing her against a wall and penetrating her with his fingers. When she pulled away, she says, he said he thought she “liked” him.

/.../

Biden’s campaign on Friday denied Reade’s allegation. “Women have a right to tell their story, and reporters have an obligation to rigorously vet those claims,” deputy campaign manager Kate Bedingfield said in a statement to media. “We encourage them to do so, because these accusations are false.”

Oddly it hasn't garnered very much attention at all here in the states, the media must have not been granted approval to run with it. Funny how that works sometimes.
    Occam's razor : maybe the media knows it's a bullshit smear campaign.  You seriously don't think they would be all over this? 
    Dangerous to so easily dismiss a women coming forward with these types of allegations. Not very Democratic for sure. Our media thinks it’s important to share what a celebrity wears while getting their morning coffee...this seems more like a don’t say anything situation considering it involves a man running for president.

Media != Allegations

She can testify, it be deposed.  She can legally compel Biden to respond.  That's an allegation. 

I'll wait
    You believe anything immediately. But only when it aligns with your beliefs. It’s quite funny to observe. 
    This
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters
    Do not worry — I'll be fine for telling the truth
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters
    Not a chance. Same article about Biden comes out about Bernie or trump and you’ll flaunt it as fact. Just admit it. Own it at least. When I first started reading AMT I mistakenly took you and some others seriously. But you’re a joke. There’s no conversation and anytime anyone brings anything up, they’re automatically a trump supporter and you address them like they are way below you. Annoying at first, now it’s just funny. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters
    Not a chance. Same article about Biden comes out about Bernie or trump and you’ll flaunt it as fact. Just admit it. Own it at least. When I first started reading AMT I mistakenly took you and some others seriously. But you’re a joke. There’s no conversation and anytime anyone brings anything up, they’re automatically a trump supporter and you address them like they are way below you. Annoying at first, now it’s just funny. 
    ARE you a Trump supporter?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    Your other tactic...deflect.
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters
     No. But if I wore a Maga hat would you think it was ok if I got jumped and beat up for it? Would it be worse or the same if I got beat up for wearing a “yes we can “ shirt? 

I’ve had someone just like you tell me someone wearing a Maga hat deserves to get beat up. The same side that believes no one should be bullied for their beliefs or lifestyle. I see so many hypocrisies on both sides and it’s actually quite depressing. Maybe try addressing people respectfully. Can you get your point across without being condescending? I doubt it honestly. 
    JW269453 said:
    Your other tactic...deflect.
    Completely ignored my whole comment. I regret even starting this. Because it never ends up as a conversation. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters
     No. But if I wore a Maga hat would you think it was ok if I got jumped and beat up for it? Would it be worse or the same if I got beat up for wearing a “yes we can “ shirt? 

I’ve had someone just like you tell me someone wearing a Maga hat deserves to get beat up. The same side that believes no one should be bullied for their beliefs or lifestyle. I see so many hypocrisies on both sides and it’s actually quite depressing. Maybe try addressing people respectfully. Can you get your point across without being condescending? I doubt it honestly. 

Biden thanks you for your support and looks forward to receiving your vote in November
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters

Biden thanks you for your support and looks forward to receiving your vote in November
    What’s your favorite Creed song?
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters

What’s your favorite Creed song?
    Ouch!
    Talk about condescending....
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters

Could you please answer one simple non political question for me. Are you an only child?
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters

Could you please answer one simple non political question for me. Are you an only child?

My sister and I come from a loving happy home. Our parents are still married and happily retired together. My father is (was) a physicist and my mother is a public school librarian.

I have 5 aunts and 15 cousins. For 30+ years, my father's 4 sisters have driven to my grandmother's house every morning at 6am. They pile into the same car and commute the hour each way to Union Park in Chicago where they work for the same union together.

In the other side, my mother and her sister own and operate 400 acres of farmland in Western Illinois. The extended family on that side has a cooperative with 4000+ acres of corn and soybean. 

And I have a cat. 
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters

My sister and I come from a loving happy home. Our parents are still married and happily retired together. My father is (was) a physicist and my mother is a public school librarian.

I have 5 aunts and 15 cousins. For 30+ years, my father's 4 sisters have driven to my grandmother's house every morning at 6am. They pile into the same car and commute the hour each way to Union Park in Chicago where they work for the same union together.

In the other side, my mother and her sister own and operate 400 acres of farmland in Western Illinois. The extended family on that side has a cooperative with 4000+ acres of corn and soybean. 

And I have a cat. 
    Sounds like you have a lovely family, thank you for taking the time to write that out. The cat explains it all though.
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

/.../

Media != Allegations

I'll wait
    right matters
    truth matters

And I have a cat. 
    Sounds like you have a lovely family, thank you for taking the time to write that out. The cat explains it all though.
    Not my choice. Would rather have a dog, but not allowed in my condo building. Soon tho....
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Don’t be disparaging us cat people :angry:
    hedonist said:
    Don’t be disparaging us cat people :angry:
    Haha, I mean I’m not going to put down someone’s family. He left me with no other option!
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Dogs rule; cats drool!
    (figuratively, of course)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    OnWis97 said:
    Dogs rule; cats drool!
    (figuratively, of course)
    I adore dogs, as evidenced by my giddiness in the doggie thread...and that love extends to felines ;)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2020

Why has the media ignored sexual assault allegations against Biden?

You know who has talked publicly about the importance of taking women seriously? Biden. During the Brett Kavanaugh hearings, Biden stood up for Dr Christine Blasey Ford, noting: “For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real.”
    Does this presumption not apply when the guy being accused is a Democrat running for president? It would seem that way. In January, according to reporting from the Intercept, Reade asked for help from the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund, which has supported accusers of high-profile people like Weinstein. Reade was reportedly told by the National Women’s Law Center, the organization within which the Time’s Up fund is housed, that it couldn’t assist with accusations against a presidential candidate because it would jeopardize their non-profit status. The Intercept further notes that “the public relations firm that works on behalf of the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund is SKDKnickerbocker, whose managing director, Anita Dunn, is the top adviser to Biden’s presidential campaign”.
    There are some people who will insist that drawing attention to the new allegations against Biden is playing into the Republicans’ hands. That it will destroy Biden’s campaign and guarantee us four more years of Trump. Not only is that argument hypocritical, it is also hugely unlikely that Reade’s accusations will do any damage whatsoever to Biden’s ambitions. Allegations of sexual assault certainly haven’t posed any hindrance to Trump. The allegations against Kavanaugh didn’t stop him from becoming a supreme court justice. The allegations against Louis CK didn’t kill his career in comedy. And the multiple women who have accused Biden of touching them inappropriately in the past haven’t exactly derailed his career.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/joe-biden-sexual-assault-allegations-why-has-media-ignored-claims
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Why has the media ignored sexual assault allegations against Biden?

You know who has talked publicly about the importance of taking women seriously? Biden. During the Brett Kavanaugh hearings, Biden stood up for Dr Christine Blasey Ford, noting: “For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real.”
    Does this presumption not apply when the guy being accused is a Democrat running for president? It would seem that way. In January, according to reporting from the Intercept, Reade asked for help from the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund, which has supported accusers of high-profile people like Weinstein. Reade was reportedly told by the National Women’s Law Center, the organization within which the Time’s Up fund is housed, that it couldn’t assist with accusations against a presidential candidate because it would jeopardize their non-profit status. The Intercept further notes that “the public relations firm that works on behalf of the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund is SKDKnickerbocker, whose managing director, Anita Dunn, is the top adviser to Biden’s presidential campaign”.
    There are some people who will insist that drawing attention to the new allegations against Biden is playing into the Republicans’ hands. That it will destroy Biden’s campaign and guarantee us four more years of Trump. Not only is that argument hypocritical, it is also hugely unlikely that Reade’s accusations will do any damage whatsoever to Biden’s ambitions. Allegations of sexual assault certainly haven’t posed any hindrance to Trump. The allegations against Kavanaugh didn’t stop him from becoming a supreme court justice. The allegations against Louis CK didn’t kill his career in comedy. And the multiple women who have accused Biden of touching them inappropriately in the past haven’t exactly derailed his career.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/joe-biden-sexual-assault-allegations-why-has-media-ignored-claims
    Nothing I love more than an article in the media about how the media is ignoring what is being written about in the article.

'Why won't Biden get the same treatment Louis CK, Trump, Weinstein, Kavanaugh, Cosby!'

Well because they're not the same, each one is it's own separate scenario to be taken on it's individual merits.  It's not hypocrisy as much as you'd like it to  be. It's intellectual laziness to treat them all the same.  See also: false equivalency. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Or you could run a candidate more appealing to the progressive part of the party?  But you know  blame is the name of the DNC game lately.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    My thoughts from the other thread. 

Does anyone think that the DNC is actually running a weak candidate like joe because many politicians and donors would be better off under a Trump Presidency than any of the other candidates.  I get it if you don’t like Bernie that’s fine.  I just don’t think Joe is the best candidate out of the entire field to go head to head with Trump.  At the expense of burning Bernie the DNC threw all their support behind what appears to be a strong candidate for Democratic primary voters but could turn out to be very weak in the general. I know some of you think this is only a referendum on Trump. Maybe for Demo party die hards it is, but I don’t think that’s the case at all.  We will see in November.  I would be much more comfortable with a more youthful and energetic candidate like Booker or Yang, or one of the ladies like Warren or Klobuchar. I’m going to vote for the dem candidate in November and I hope that if it’s joe he wins and I end up eating my words.  Sure Bernie is my number one choice I’m not gonna deny that, but I am still very wary that Biden is gonna be the best choice in November especially if Trump continues to fail up and inexplicably flaunt all previous predictions as he has been able to do the last three years.  Here’s hoping I end up eating my words and joe was just what we needed.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Closed for review.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.