Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    The biggest thing: This is not "Legacy Jam" and that's what I fucking LOVE about this record
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    Whoever is talking smack about You Are needs to get their head checked...
    Agreed. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    The opening songs of this album are unreal and the closing of it is just beautiful. 
    Well done and thank you. Now let’s pray and hope things get back to normal and get on the road!  Some of these songs are going to be so good live. 
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 222
    Hell yeah!! Very very good album!! Very fresh and the sound is great. After my first listen, 7' o clock, retrograde and river cross have touched my heart deeply. Imagine retrograde in dolby atmos in a theatre, ouuuuhh!!! Quick escape! Never destination make me dance. Love, love this album. Thank you PJ, well done!!!!

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    Buckle Up - is it a Steely Dan homage ? 

• Lukeat911Lukeat911 Nashville, TN Posts: 174
    The bass-line half way through Never Destination is amazing 
  • So far I am not seeing "Take The Long Way" mentioned however I wanted to specifically call it out as Pearl Jam's "Soundgarden" song and it is badass!  Odd time signature, Matt Cameron drums a la My Wave, and wonderful Riot Act-esque vocal delivery
    vito said:
    One last thought and I really hate doing this and it actually bothers me when everyone says they hear Zeppelin here and Rage there and on and on and on but, jesus does Eddie sound like Peter Gabriel on River Cross? Especially when he's crooning 'Can't hold me down' I love it anyways!!
    Yes!! Thought the same thing immediatelly

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

• AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    Listened to it twice all the way through.  First four songs are pearlers and MC is strong on the end of the last two songs, but I find the rest quite average.  Too much sweeping/cheesy/sappy music that I had hoped was left behind with Sirens.  But at this stage of their careers, I'm happy with getting 4 or 5 good songs, and the production is great.  Overall 3 stars.  The NME review is the closest to my thoughts.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Just got through second listen a couple mins ago...fuck we are so spoiled. Best since Avocado at LEAST! Someone said No Code and Binaural had a baby, and I can't agree more.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    This album screams to me a bunch of guys who came into the studio committed to making a beautiful record.  They put aside all the side projects and material they would save for the side projects and focused 100 percent on this record.  I just listened to 7o’clock and it brought me to the verge of tears.  
    For me when an album takes me on an emotional journey when I listen to it shows it has tons of depth and layers. 
    Thank you guys for being committed and bringing all your amazing talents together again to an album.
    For me this is finally the record I needed from these guys.  The same feelings and emotions I get when I listen to No Code or Yield.
    I feel bad because I did not know if they had this level of commitment and desire to make a beautiful record again. Well they proved me wrong.  
    Everyone in the band is super bad ass on this record.  For me, Ed stands out the most.  His voice sounds so good he is under control and does not over reach.  
    I am blown away how good this record is.  
    After a few listens, wow, this album is a beauty!!!!! The sound is amazing. I m so happy and excited right now! Wait for the CD but it's not for today..

• Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    The album would have been better if someone had done a Belushi acoustic guitar in Animal House on Jeff’s keytar.

Synth parts are weak link.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    PJWGIII said:
    Just got through second listen a couple mins ago...fuck we are so spoiled. Best since Avocado at LEAST! Someone said No Code and Binaural had a baby, and I can't agree more.

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    PJWGIII said:
    My two favorite albums :open_mouth: hurry up, postman!!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Love all the love this album is getting! They did an amazing job with this one. 
  • rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    On first listen, I like the first four songs and the last four songs a lot. They are experimental and keep the listener on their toes but not alienating at all. Production is well done- songs flow perfectly from one to the next through the whole album. The middle songs feel to me a little like dad rock /lighting bolt esque. Predictable and rely too heavily on uninteresting power chords and vocal ticks/tricks that have become cliche for EV. Maybe the middle songs will grow on me w/future listens. But I’ll take 8 new cool PJ songs any day! Night night. 
    Admittedly I’m listening while trying to keep my 4 year old and 18 month old from killing each other...

but this kind kind of sums up my first impression I haven’t really had a chance to put the headphones on and connect with the lyrics though. 

Once I do that, I’m really hoping I get that NoCode x Binaural = Gigaton feeling. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Changing producers after Can't Deny Me was undeniably the right decision.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,639
    JimmyV said:
    Yes 100%!!!  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Yes 100%!!!  
    I thought Evans produced that song?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Yes 100%!!!  
    I think he was an engineer maybe?
  • RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 592
    Wow, what a listening experience, each song takes you on a journey... and DOTC through some good headphones... pretty darn cool! -- Time to put this album on repeat!
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    WOW!  Where have these guys been?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Ok, 1 listen through

Songs I love:
    Superblood Wolfmoon
    DOTC
    Quick Escape
    Take the Long way
    Buckle Up
    Alright

Songs I like (and likely will grow to love):
    Who ever said
    Seven O'clock
    River Cross
    Never Destination

Songs that are fine, may end up liking:
    Retrograde
    Comes and goes

I think part of the problem for me is the 4 song ending slows down and stays slow (Buckle up, COmes and goes, Retrograde, and river cross)...kinda prefer more variety, but this seems to be consistent with other PJ albums.

Overall I love it.  Can;t wait to see what songs move up or down over time.  Tough not to like new PJ, but which will have staying power.

hippiemom = goodness
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,357
    Love:
    Who Ever Said
    DOTC
    Quick Escape
    Never Destination
    Take The Long Way
    Buckle Up
    Comes Then Goes

Like:
    Superblood Wolfmoon
    Alright
    Seven O'Clock
    River Cross

Not wild about it (yet):
    Retrograde.

Overall, this is stunning.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Yes 100%!!!  
    We were told when it was released that CDM was from the forthcoming album produced by Brendan O'Brien.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited March 2020
    it's a tiny magical bubble in this weird world right now.  Enjoy release day, everyone.  We don't know how many release days are left, or how many years the next one will be.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    After the first listen. 

Love:
    Who Ever Said
    Quick Escape
    Take The Long Way

Like:
    Superblood Wolfmoon
    Never Destination
    DOTC
    Alright
    Seven O'Clock
    River Cross

Not wild about it (after first listen):
    Retrograde.
    Buckle Up
    Comes Then Goes
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    First listen through headphones and I’m blown away.  There are points that I feel like I’m at a live show, others where I just close my eyes and live in between all the beautiful layers, and points that I’m surprisingly impressed at the vocals.  These are great musicians and together can produce incredibly thoughtful music.  The drums and bass kick you in the gut so much throughout the album.  I love that Mike got several awesome solos, and hope they let it breath live and let him create in the moment.

well done, guys!  Can’t wait to hear it many more times
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    edited March 2020
    There really isn't a bad song on the album, just songs I like more. This is one of the things for me that makes this such a great album is that it is all killer with no filler. 1-12 is good. Everyone has their own opinions and tastes, but to me after about 20 listens top to bottom in the last few days, its better songs measure up with those on No Code, Yield and Vitalogy, but in my opinion the lesser songs on Gigaton are much stronger than those of the lesser songs on other albums. Ten and Vs for me are at the top, musically, and also due to their cultural significance, but I am starting to think this album might rank as their 3rd best for me. Gigaton is a grower, and since the first listen my fondness for it is continuing to grow, as you listen to subtleties and intricacies that you don't hear on the first couple of listens, because it is all so new.

Obviously this is my opinion, but I tried a little exercise with Vitalogy and No Code and intermixed the songs from Gigaton with first, Vitalogy and then No Code, ranking them, and for me it turned out as follows:

Vitalogy/Gigaton

Betterman - Vitalogy
    Seven O’Clock - Gigaton
    Corduroy - Vitalogy
    Dance of the Clairvoyants - Gigaton
    Who Ever Said - Gigaton
    Quick Escape - Gigaton
    Immortality - Vitalogy
    Retrograde - Gigaton
    Comes Then Goes - Gigaton
    Nothingman - Vitalogy
    Superblood Wolfmoon - Gigaton