Options

Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    I will say that this album has the best 4 song opening since Self Titled, which had the best 4 song opening since Yield.
    I agree the first four songs are really good. The thing that is frustrating is feel like Alright could have been a great song (love the Kid A sounding keys at the beginning) and then Eddie just straight up ruins the song. 7 O’clock is a good song. Then the album dips again til Buckle Up and finishes strong. If they actually made Eddie do something not so Eddie with Alright they would have 10 great songs and a great album. But like Riot Act and Lightning Bolt they bogged down what could have been a tight album with filler and thus diminished the final product. There are some great moments- just wish they were a bit more disciplined in their quality control. 
    What do you mean with Eddie on Alright?
    The song had the potential to be interesting based on the music but in an attempt to use his voice like a warm blanket the song feels like pandering to me. The second he starts singing I have this uncontrollable eye roll. Like we’ve been here before and it wasn’t that great the first time. 

this post was like a wet blanket.  :eyeroll:

I kid
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    I will say that this album has the best 4 song opening since Self Titled, which had the best 4 song opening since Yield.
    I agree the first four songs are really good. The thing that is frustrating is feel like Alright could have been a great song (love the Kid A sounding keys at the beginning) and then Eddie just straight up ruins the song. 7 O’clock is a good song. Then the album dips again til Buckle Up and finishes strong. If they actually made Eddie do something not so Eddie with Alright they would have 10 great songs and a great album. But like Riot Act and Lightning Bolt they bogged down what could have been a tight album with filler and thus diminished the final product. There are some great moments- just wish they were a bit more disciplined in their quality control. 
    The song had the potential to be interesting based on the music but in an attempt to use his voice like a warm blanket the song feels like pandering to me. The second he starts singing I have this uncontrollable eye roll. Like we’ve been here before and it wasn’t that great the first time. 

I kid

Smellyman said:
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:

I kid

Smellyman said:
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:

I kid
    Like the teenager who says “you are such an idiot” but then immediately follows it with “I was just joking.” Get your jab in and then pretend to be cool. I see you Smellyman. 

"Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
         I love this record so not shitting on it, but . . . My two cents is that it was supposed to be a double album which for whatever reasons was scrapped and condensed into just one (which may help explain the release delays, etc). Something about the whole thing feels very composite and a little incomplete. SBWM, Who Ever Said, 7 o', and Never Destination seem like they were cut and pasted together from at least 3 other songs each. I still can't wrap my mind around 7 0 clock; it's a beautiful song but it teases you with that insane sound reminiscent of army reserve and then changes to eddie improving stream of conciousness on a first take, followed by the Ordinary World chorus which sounds like when Pearl Jam is trying to make a disney song. Maybe they already had a prior release planned (maybe with BoB?), but then didn't like the finished product and were like "Hey Josh, take all these clips and glue 'em together, and add some synth so that it seems like all the tracks belong together."
         My only dissapointment is that there wasn't an entire instrumental track with no vocals (my only long time gripe with their records). Alright, and Buckle up come to mind here. The way Alright opens I feel like I'm hearing the sound track to Blade Runner (a good thing), but then it's gone to make room for vocals. Same exact for Buckle Up (side note: Almost certain Buckle Up had Stone's vocals at one point. Before I read it was Stone's song I figured it was his. His songs have more of a unique beauty that only sounds right with his voice. When I hear it I imagine Stone singing it vs Eddie and it makes me like the track more). I think if the album dropped Retrograde and stuck like a 3 or 4 minute instrumental track smack dab in the midle of the record it would have been an interesting listen (not shitting on retrograde I just think Comes then Goes into River Cross would have been a more subtle calming end to the album). And one more time  . . . WHY DON'T THEY MAKE SOME INSTRUMENTAL TRACKS????????? It drives me crazy! Instrumentally these guys are amazing. If you've seen em live you know they can do it. Ed doesn't always have to sing. I read that for Comes then Goes the guys tried putting little things here and there on it but decided that the best thing was to leave it simple. Why can't they do it where leaving Ed's vocals out of the song keeps it more simple and better?
         Anyway all the little synth parts and moody atmospheric shit on this album are great, but why the heck not give more of it??? Continuing to like how this album is stretching my expectations and appreciation for this band! Also holy shit how great of an opener would River Cross into Love Boat Captain be?? Boom could just stay on that organ at the end of River and go right into Love Boat!!
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,674
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    What the hell are you talking about? You eye roll when Eddie sings this song? You really thought this and typed it out on a message board? Haha omg. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,714
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    What the hell are you talking about? You eye roll when Eddie sings this song? You really thought this and typed it out on a message board? Haha omg. 
    I know we all have extra time, but you’re going to be a busy person if you have to argue with everyone who has a negative opinion about this album. I hate Alright. As soon as EV started singing I immediately knew it didn’t connect with me. It’s not the end of the world. I’m not a fan of that melody. I love the album though. It’ll be ok. 
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    He did, yeah. He had an opinion about a Pearl Jam song so he expressed it on a forum designed to discuss opinions on Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,674
    Eilian said:
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    He did, yeah. He had an opinion about a Pearl Jam song so he expressed it on a forum designed to discuss opinions on Pearl Jam.
    Haha, you guys are hilarious. Just be grateful you got new music and stop bitching and complaining about every little thing. Peoples opinions don’t mean anything to me on here, I just scratch my head when I read them and laugh. I just thought it was funny that someone rolled their eyes cause Eddie sounds like a warm blanket and we’ve been here before. You can’t make this shit up, just incredible. Hahaha. 
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    Haha, you guys are hilarious. Just be grateful you got new music and stop bitching and complaining about every little thing. Peoples opinions don’t mean anything to me on here, I just scratch my head when I read them and laugh. I just thought it was funny that someone rolled their eyes cause Eddie sounds like a warm blanket and we’ve been here before. You can’t make this shit up, just incredible. Hahaha. 
    Can’t make up what exactly? ***Someone asked me*** to explain why I thought EV ruined Alright, so I used additional words to explain my reaction. What would you recommend as an alternative? A modern interpretative dance? I’m not tracking what’s so incredible.

(Also, I also used the word pandering, but you seemed to ignore that- I suppose that would have been inconvenient for your exasperation.)

BTW, I have been a fan since the spring of 1992. Never stopped for one day. With that, loyalty doesn’t mean loving everything someone does. It’s ok to tell a person or entity that you know and care about that they can do better and yet continue to love and support them. 

Bottom line- they are half a song away from a great 10-song album. 
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 821
    Bottom line - Alright is quickly growing on me and Eddie's vocals on that song are incredible.  Proves he still has the range and focus.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    A gigantic masterpiece! :clap:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    What exactly do you want Ed to do on Alright?  Is it just his delivery?  What could have made it better?
  • Options
    Smarter_Than_USmarter_Than_U Posts: 515
    edited March 2020
    What exactly do you want Ed to do on Alright?  Is it just his delivery?  What could have made it better?
    Honestly chants like Aya Davanita or Arc would have been better. I feel like he makes the song conform to a singing style and harmony that does not enhance the song. I feel like he stifles it. 

Trust me, I want to love every Pearl Jam song. I wish Josh or someone would have pushed him more on that one. And then if they drop the two unredeemable songs (Never Destination and Take the Long Way) you are looking at a killer album. 

But as I already said,  I will take 9 great new PJ songs any day of the week, especially almost 30 years down the road. 

Post edited by Smarter_Than_U on
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Honestly chants like Aya Davanita or Arc would have been better. I feel like he makes the song conform to a singing style and harmony that does not enhance the song. I feel like he stifles it. 

Trust me, I want to love every Pearl Jam song. I wish Josh or someone would have pushed him more on that one. And then if they drop the two unredeemable songs (Never Destination and Take the Long Way) you are looking at a killer album. 

But as I already said,  I will take 9 great new PJ songs any day of the week, especially almost 30 years down the road. 

How do you know this isn’t exactly how Jeff had imagined it? It’s his song, his lyrics?! In his Variety interview Josh Evans said that Ed was really concerned about getting Buckle Up right because he wanted to do Stone’s vision justice
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103

As I hear it, he served the song. What MORE would you like him to have done? Should he have scatted on the track? Really belted it out over the laid-back instrumental? Throat-singing?
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    Vedder’s warm blanket vocals can snuggle me up all day long, but I do feel as though the song is begging for a crescendo that never comes.
  • Options
    Smarter_Than_USmarter_Than_U Posts: 515
    edited March 2020
    JPPJ84 said:

How do you know this isn’t exactly how Jeff had imagined it? It’s his song, his lyrics?! In his Variety interview Josh Evans said that Ed was really concerned about getting Buckle Up right because he wanted to do Stone’s vision justice
    Jeff is literally the coolest dude in Pearl Jam. Love him. I don’t know what his vision was but Eddie is the singer, so it’s up to him to accept or reject based overall outcome of the song. Thom Yorke once said, Radiohead is like the UN and he is the USA so he gets final say. Ed should exercise the same kind veto power IMO. Unless of course this was his thing - then again I think that is the job of the producer- push them to do better when needed. 
    Post edited by Smarter_Than_U on
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:

As I hear it, he served the song. What MORE would you like him to have done? Should he have scatted on the track? Really belted it out over the laid-back instrumental? Throat-singing?
    EarlWelsh said:

EarlWelsh said:

EarlWelsh said:

Nothing would have been better. Musical interlude. Done! 
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 921

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    It is really interesting to read the different opinions on songs.  I guess what you can get from that, if they seemed to have pleased most with over half of the album at least...and it's a different half for many.  That song you don't like much (retrograde for me) is the favorite of hundreds/thousands of others likely.  That song you love (Quick Escape), hundreds hate...ok, maybe not quick escape.  I love Alright.  It might end up being a top 2 song for me....people hate it.  Nice job PJ by reaching so many different tastes!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    Initial reaction after just one listen...

1. Quick Escape, River Cross, SBWM, DotC, Never Destination, Alright

2. Comes Then Goes, Retrograde, Take The Long Way, Buckle Up

3. Who Ever Said, Seven o clock

Not one song I dislike so far. It’ll be interesting to see how this changes for everyone after more listens. 
    Ok, it’s already changed for me about 6 listens in now. 
    1.  Quick Escape, River Cross, DotC, SBWM, Take the Long Way, Retrograde (that ending!!)

2. Who Ever Said, Alright, Never Destination, Seven O Clock, Comes and Goes

3. Buckle Up (I like it but I can’t quite wrap my head around this one yet )
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    edited March 2020
    I'm really starting to feel like DotC sticking out like a sore thumb between SBWM and QE with it having a completely different sound (dead and void of room (or whatever, living/breathing)) to the others.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    I'm really starting to feel like DotC sticking out like a sore thumb between SBWM and QE with it having a completely different sound (dead and void of room (or whatever, living/breathing)) to the others.
    I’ve always had a sorta similar feeling with Nothingman. I have no time not patience for it between Tremor Christ and Whipping. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I’ve always had a sorta similar feeling with Nothingman. I have no time not patience for it between Tremor Christ and Whipping. 
    You’re skipping Nothingman?! :o
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

I knew that’d be the response. Not that I knew what gif it’d be. But something in the realm of “Don’t speak ill of Nothingman” was expected. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    Hmmm...

it’s not like Tremor Christ is a ball of fire exactly.
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Yeah. Not that it’s a bad song or anything, but I’ve never been into it. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    JPPJ84 said:
    Don't speak ill of Nothingman
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    Blasphemy! I may have to dig out that Immortality thread again... I'm pretty sure we had that argument before :lol: 
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Blasphemy! I may have to dig out that Immortality thread again... I'm pretty sure we had that argument before :lol: 
    Oh good. So then you already know I love Immortality and am indifferent to Nothingman. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs: