Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Fanviews / reviews

1131416181923

Comments

  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 1,871
    edited March 2020
    mfcbmw said:
    Complaining about Ed singing too many lyrics has to be, by far, the funniest, most backwards complaint for not liking a song(s).  Is it too hard to understand too much meaning?  Or that it'll take time to digest?  I'm assuming if you dislike Ed singing too many words, you must also dislike Sleight of Hand, Garden, Black, marker in the sand, army reserve, comeback.  Too many lyrics for those songs it huuuurts my bwain.  
    Really?  The lyrics actually flow in those songs.  Of late, a lot of Ed's lyrics are pretty jumbled and inaudible.  
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWestPosts: 14,931
    edited March 2020
    JimmyV said:
    This has already changed a few times and will no doubt continue to, but as of right now...
    Tier 1:
    Seven O'clock, Buckle Up, Comes Then Goes, Who Ever Said, Superblood Wolfmoon, Dance Of The Clairvoyants
    Tier 2:
    Never Destination, Retrograde, Quick Escape
    Tier 3:
    Alright, River Cross, Take The Long Way

    BREAKING: Retrograde, Quick Escape and Alright have all moved up one tier.
    Tier 1:
    Seven O'clock, Buckle Up, Comes Then Goes, Who Ever Said, Superblood Wolfmoon, Dance Of The Clairvoyants, Retrograde, Quick Escape
    Tier 2:
    Never Destination, Alright
    Tier 3:
    River Cross, Take The Long Way
    Post edited by JimmyV on
    ___________________________________________

    "...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 303
    mfcbmw said:
    Complaining about Ed singing too many lyrics has to be, by far, the funniest, most backwards complaint for not liking a song(s).  Is it too hard to understand too much meaning?  Or that it'll take time to digest?  I'm assuming if you dislike Ed singing too many words, you must also dislike Sleight of Hand, Garden, Black, marker in the sand, army reserve, comeback.  Too many lyrics for those songs it huuuurts my bwain.  
    I also think some songs are too wordy.  Meaning is better left implied rather than being a Wester's dictionary in describing what/how.  And they don't follow the music as much as the songs you mentioned.  Like he is reciting something separate form the music.  Less is more lyrically.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Review of the the first of the first 6 songs from my 9 year old:

    1. Who Ever Said - "I like that one"
    2. Dance of the Clairvoyants - "I had to hear it a bunch of times and now I really like it"
    3. Superblood Wolfmoon - "Only needed to hear it a few times to like"
    4. Quick Escape - "I liked this one right away"
    5. Alright - "Not a good one"
    6. Seven O'Clock - "Started singing Betterman when looking at the title 'It's 7:00, it's got to stop'"  =)
                                - "Sounds like Daughter"

    Then he finished with his ratings: "6/10 for Alright, 7/10 for Seven O'Clock and the rest 10s"
    1995 - Milwaukee, Night 1 ~~~ 2004 - VFC Toledo ~~~ 2006 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2009 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2 ~~~
    2011 - PJ 20 East Troy, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2013 - Wrigley ~~~ 2014 - Moline~ ~~~ 2016 - Wrigley, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2018 - Wrigley, Night 1 & 2
  • Tier 1 - Who Ever Said, Dance, Quick Escape, Never Destination, Comes Then Goes, Buckle Up
    Tier 2 - SBWM, Alright, Take The Long Way, Retrograde
    Tier 3 - 7 O’Clock, River Cross
    Moving Take the Long Way Up. That cymbal work :)
    looking to hear of the earth
  • jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 100
    Mostly through one listen and I am in the “just OK” camp so far. There are def some tracks that I know will grow on me. I was hoping for something harder and when I saw DotC and Superblood towards the top, I figured I would be a bit disappointed. I like both of those songs but I had hoped they would be towards the back. Still going to play the shit out of it and I’m sure more will grow on me. 
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, ILPosts: 779
    edited March 2020

    AIGHT SO HERE WE GO....

    *PJWGIII FANVIEWS AFTER THREE FULL LISTENS (GOING ON FOUR AS WE SPEAK)*

    (These are instant reactions, not my edited Journalism — though I may write a full review on our student newspaper The Forest Scout soon — so expect some over-excitement and VERY stream-of-consciousness bullet points)

    - Here’s what is most likely my violently hot take: This album opener/closer pairing (Who Ever Said/River Cross) is up there as one of the band’s best EVER (Yes - this is the same band that went Once/Release on Ten or Go/Indifference on Vs.)

    - Now that it’s all in front of us, I feel pretty safe backing the band on their single selections: DoTC was the classic outlier first choice (a la Nothing as it Seems/Who You Are as opposed to Grievance/Hail, Hail) but it was a fantastic signal to the diehard fans that they were staying weird and actively trying to do something with quality that makes it worth the longest wait they’ve ever made us sit through in their career. I just don’t know if I get as excited about this record if Superblood Wolfmoon is the first single! It was a great second choice though, as it finally gave us our first new ripping Mike McCready guitar solo in forever. This all leads to my next point...

    -QUICK ESCAPE was the best single, and is quickly the best song on the record! Early PJ swag is back in the form of a Zep-like sound with some Queen and Trump references over a really cool vocal effect. The video game it came with will be a great quarantine pastime for me as well. And...

    -MATT FUCKING CAMERON is the MVP of this album. While he has always been a powerful beast that saved the band, he has kind of fallen into the role of being simply a tight metronome more and more often. He finally brought his Soundgarden complexity to Pearl Jam!! I could be crazy wrong because song credits don’t show this, but maybe some of these were very early Soundgarden ideas for what would’ve been their next one? Some of these songs make it sound possible (especially Quick Escape.)

    -While I think it will remain a nice dip into psychedelia for now, I mostly agree with the common take that Buckle Up is the Parachutes of this album. It is true for better and for worse...

    -Comes Then Goes is exactly why I identify with Ed in a musical sense — he has a very percussive mind for guitar and this song is him at his Who-iest and Into The Wild-est and is a great addition (I guess I’m also just glad it was my selection for PJ Fantasy League lol)

    -Lyrics are poignant and meet high expectations. It is a little creepy how well the chorus of DoTC resonates right now...

    -LASTLY AND PERHAPS THE BIGGEST THING: We were 100% wrong on the notion that these guys were kinda done with writing music - they are more dedicated to their craft perhaps than ever, and it showed. This isn’t “Legacy Jam” and that’s what I fucking LOVE about Gigaton. It’s active and resonant, and is exactly what makes this band my favorite.

    I don’t expect something this individually good from an all-time favorite band of mine that is this far into their career, let alone my favorite band of all time. Truly spoiled and can’t wait for some vinyl to show up on my doorstep!

    Current Rating: 8.5/10

    Where it falls in PERSONAL album rankings (could change up or down by the second - the biggest thing is they kept their “undefeated” streak — not one truly bad record):

    1. Vitalogy
    2. Yield
    3. Ten
    4. No Code
    5. Riot Act
    6. Vs.
    7. GIGATON
    8. Binaural
    9. Avocado
    10. Backspacer
    11. Lightning Bolt

    Keep on Rockin’ In The Free World everyone...

    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready - Take Over!!" - E.V.

    2018: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 2020: St. Louis 3/4
    https://www.livefootsteps.org/stats/?u=1

    EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

    RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
                                       * * * * * * * * *
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 73
    edited March 2020
    First thoughts:
    1. Who Ever Said - Solid song, maybe not the best song to choose as an album opener (see below). It starts to drag at the end.
    2. SBWM - It's a catchy little song, but it feels jumbled and incomplete. Not sure why they chose this one as their second single "rocker song" (see below)
    3. DOTC - I think we can all agree that this one is GREAT.
    4. Quick Escape - This song is Pearl Jam. We get a taste of every single members musical talents in this song. Although I'm a little concerned that this one might wear out on me over time.
    5. Alright - This would have been the perfect album opener or closer. I love this one.
    6. Seven O' Clock - Kinda all over the place. Too long in my opinion. I'm going to need to spin this one a few more times.
    7. Never Destination - Blah. Feels like a filler song.
    8.  Take the Long Way - Not sure why everyone has this as a bottom tier song. This is PJ exploring their inner QOTSA. Has a Riot Act feel to it as well. Should have been single #2.
    9. Buckle Up - I love this one. Has a Yield sessions vibe to it. I can picture the boys jamming to this on Single Video Theory :)
    10. Comes Then Goes - I might be the only one who thinks this song is a snoozer. Yeah Yeah, I get the lyrics hit home for some people, but this is another album filler to me. It's another Ed solo song and should have been on an Ed solo record. It's going to take a LONG time for me to come around to this one - if I ever do. Right now, its an instant skipper.
    11. Retrograde - Another song that feels like an Ed solo song ala an Into The Wild B side. Great ending though.
    12. River Cross - Blah. Need more time on this one.


    Good album, not a classic. I'd give it a C+/B-







    Post edited by Habit4me on
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, ILPosts: 754
    edited March 2020
    Tier 1 - Who Ever Said, Dance, Quick Escape, Never Destination, Comes Then Goes, Buckle Up
    Tier 2 - SBWM, Alright, Take The Long Way, Retrograde
    Tier 3 - 7 O’Clock, River Cross
    Moving Take the Long Way Up. That cymbal work :)
    Your tiers are legitimately what I would do, aside from putting Comes then Goes in the top, it's tier 2 or 3 for me. I just can't really get 7 o'clock, especially the ending. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, ILPosts: 779
    JUST DID THESE:

    Tier 1: Quick Escape, Who Ever Said, Comes Then Goes, River Cross, Dance of the Clairvoyants
    Tier 2: Superblood Wolfmoon, Alright, Retrograde, Never Destination, Take the Long Way, Seven O'Clock
    Tier 3: Buckle Up
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready - Take Over!!" - E.V.

    2018: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 2020: St. Louis 3/4
    https://www.livefootsteps.org/stats/?u=1

    EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

    RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
                                       * * * * * * * * *
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, ILPosts: 754
    Habit4me said:
    First thoughts:
    1. Who Ever Said - Solid song, maybe not the best song to choose as an album opener (see below). It starts to drag at the end.
    2. SBWM - It's a catchy little song, but it feels jumbled and incomplete. Not sure why they chose this one as their second single "rocker song" (see below)
    3. DOTC - I think we can all agree that this one is GREAT.
    4. Quick Escape - This song is Pearl Jam. We get a taste of every single members musical talents in this song. Although I'm a little concerned that this one might wear out on me over time.
    5. Alright - This would have been the perfect album opener or closer. I love this one.
    6. Seven O' Clock - Kinda all over the place. Too long in my opinion. I'm going to need to spin this one a few more times.
    7. Never Destination - Blah. Feels like a filler song.
    8.  Take the Long Way - Not sure why everyone has this as a bottom tier song. This is PJ exploring their inner QOTSA. Has a Riot Act feel to it as well. Should have been single #2.
    9. Buckle Up - I love this one. Has a Yield sessions vibe to it. I can picture the boys jamming to this on Single Video Theory :)
    10. Comes Then Goes - I might be the only one who thinks this song is a snoozer. Yeah Yeah, I get the lyrics hit home for some people, but this is another album filler to me. It's another Ed solo song and should have been on an Ed solo record. It's going to take a LONG time for me to come around to this one - if I ever do. Right now, its an instant skipper.
    11. Retrograde - Another song that feels like an Ed solo song ala an Into The Wild B side. Great ending though.
    12. River Cross - Blah. Need more time on this one.


    Good album, not a classic. I'd give it a C+/B-







    LOVE Take the Long Way - I never thought of the Queens of the Stone Age similarities but you're totally right, it's a really cool song. Agree that I just don't really get 7 O'Clock and Comes then Goes, they feel awkward being on the album, too long and redundant. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    PJALK said:
    CM189191 said:
    Matt's drumming is top notch
    His best work since joining Pearl Jam
    Agreed!! We need a Matt Cameron appreciation thread!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom'sPosts: 11,492
    Take the Long Way would be an SG tune if the unfortunate hadn't happened
    Remember the Thomas Nine!! (10/02/2018)

    1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley #1, Wrigley #2, Boston #1, Boston #2
    2020: Oakland1, Oakland2
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    PJWGIII said:

    AIGHT SO HERE WE GO....

    *PJWGIII FANVIEWS AFTER THREE FULL LISTENS (GOING ON FOUR AS WE SPEAK)*

    (These are instant reactions, not my edited Journalism — though I may write a full review on our student newspaper The Forest Scout soon — so expect some over-excitement and VERY stream-of-consciousness bullet points)

    - Here’s what is most likely my violently hot take: This album opener/closer pairing (Who Ever Said/River Cross) is up there as one of the band’s best EVER (Yes - this is the same band that went Once/Release on Ten or Go/Indifference on Vs.)

    - Now that it’s all in front of us, I feel pretty safe backing the band on their single selections: DoTC was the classic outlier first choice (a la Nothing as it Seems/Who You Are as opposed to Grievance/Hail, Hail) but it was a fantastic signal to the diehard fans that they were staying weird and actively trying to do something with quality that makes it worth the longest wait they’ve ever made us sit through in their career. I just don’t know if I get as excited about this record if Superblood Wolfmoon is the first single! It was a great second choice though, as it finally gave us our first new ripping Mike McCready guitar solo in forever. This all leads to my next point...

    -QUICK ESCAPE was the best single, and is quickly the best song on the record! Early PJ swag is back in the form of a Zep-like sound with some Queen and Trump references over a really cool vocal effect. The video game it came with will be a great quarantine pastime for me as well. And...

    -MATT FUCKING CAMERON is the MVP of this album. While he has always been a powerful beast that saved the band, he has kind of fallen into the role of being simply a tight metronome more and more often. He finally brought his Soundgarden complexity to Pearl Jam!! I could be crazy wrong because song credits don’t show this, but maybe some of these were very early Soundgarden ideas for what would’ve been their next one? Some of these songs make it sound possible (especially Quick Escape.)

    -While I think it will remain a nice dip into psychedelia for now, I mostly agree with the common take that Buckle Up is the Parachutes of this album. It is true for better and for worse...

    -Comes Then Goes is exactly why I identify with Ed in a musical sense — he has a very percussive mind for guitar and this song is him at his Who-iest and Into The Wild-est and is a great addition (I guess I’m also just glad it was my selection for PJ Fantasy League lol)

    -Lyrics are poignant and meet high expectations. It is a little creepy how well the chorus of DoTC resonates right now...

    -LASTLY AND PERHAPS THE BIGGEST THING: We were 100% wrong on the notion that these guys were kinda done with writing music - they are more dedicated to their craft perhaps than ever, and it showed. This isn’t “Legacy Jam” and that’s what I fucking LOVE about Gigaton. It’s active and resonant, and is exactly what makes this band my favorite.

    I don’t expect something this individually good from an all-time favorite band of mine that is this far into their career, let alone my favorite band of all time. Truly spoiled and can’t wait for some vinyl to show up on my doorstep!

    Current Rating: 8.5/10

    Where it falls in PERSONAL album rankings (could change up or down by the second - the biggest thing is they kept their “undefeated” streak — not one truly bad record):

    1. Vitalogy
    2. Yield
    3. Ten
    4. No Code
    5. Riot Act
    6. Vs.
    7. GIGATON
    8. Binaural
    9. Avocado
    10. Backspacer
    11. Lightning Bolt

    Keep on Rockin’ In The Free World everyone...

    I was really tracking man until I saw Riot Act ahead of Vs. That's just straight nonsense!!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • neddie vedderneddie vedder 93 million miles from the sunPosts: 126
    I know it’s all opinions in the end but I can’t get the negativity towards ‘7 o’clock’.. I think it’s probably my favourite along with DOTC, just gutted that it’s going to be a long while before we hear them live by the looks of it  :|
    Manchester 09, Hyde Park 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 1+2 2012, EV Manchester 2012, EV London 1+2 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, EV London 1+2 2017, London 2018, Milan 2018, Padova 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2018, EV Florence 2019, EV Barolo 2019, EV Madrid 2019
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TXPosts: 700
    I feel like this album needed Comes Then Goes, it along with SBWM and Quick Escape have a much more raw sound that helps break up the heavy production that is present on most of the other tracks. After a few listens I have also found that I prefer Gigaton played through speakers instead of being plugged in, there is A LOT going on but I am loving digesting it all. Not ready to tier it up yet because each listen brings something new. 30 years in and they still got it...still got it!
  • KN219077KN219077 MontanaPosts: 837
    Alright could be a no code b side. I love it. Have to let this album digest for a while before giving my thoughts. Initial reaction is positive but it seems uneven at times and odd, seven o clock sounds more like a cover than it does pj, but I’m willing to go where the band takes us sonically 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capitalPosts: 2,601
    Smellyman said:
    Honestly surprised that Who Ever Said and Retrograde made the album. . . Who Ever Said is too long and sounds like a b-side from Backspacer. Retrograde is like Yellow Moon part 2. Still too early to know how much I like the album, but Ed is rambling way too much without melody. I think the album would have been perfect if 80% of the songs had been shorter and had less vocals from ed (Comes then Goes would have been PERFECT if it just stayed ed and acoustic guitar, without the vocal layers). All in all over produced. And Buckle Up? Music is perfect, but the lyrics had me chuckling when he starts singing "buckle up."
    Can't get enough of Whoever Said.  My fav on the album.

    Last 2 minutes is phenomenal.  wish it was longer.


    Yeah, I think Who Ever Said is an awesome opener, and in my book, "Yellow Moon, Part 2" would be high praise, as I think that's a gorgeous song. As for Retrograde itself, I started out thinking "meh," but those last two minutes -- yes, they elevate the entire album. Reminds me of "Better Days," which I also love.

    I'm loving this album, just loving it. It's what I was hoping they would make. Political, sad, angry, frustrated, but arguing that the world's worth fighting for. I also think this album is put together better than most PJ albums are -- the first four songs hang together well and are a killer combo, the last three-four also work so well with each other. The slower songs in the second half of their albums sometimes run out of steam, but while these are slower songs, I think they form a very strong finish to the album. Comes Then Goes is just a devastating song, agree with the poster who wondered if Ed even will be able to perform this one live. And River Cross -- saw that at Ohana in 2017, so happy to see it again. Beautiful. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 10,857
    Listening to it through for the 1st time.

    I wasnt all that enthused about the album to be honest


    I really dig it though, so far.  Great tunes.  
  • ry75guyry75guy Posts: 164
    Love, love, love this album. With their past albums it usually takes me a few times through to appreciate each of the tracks. There's usually the immediate standouts and those that take me a few listens to get into. This one had me all the way through from the first listen.

    There's no better feeling than the pure joy of listening to an album you love for the first time. 
    Tinley Park, IL 08-02-1992
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-22-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-18-2018
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 7,307
    Take the Long Way is blowing my mind at the moment.  

    Such an awesome song.  
  • KN219077KN219077 MontanaPosts: 837
    This album sounds more “classic rock” than the last couple, and at this point that’s a good thing
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 1,919
    edited March 2020
    Take the Long Way stood out to me right away. Probably the one stuck in my head the most right now. I like it.  Also really enjoying Alright into Seven O’ Clock.
  • EilianEilian Posts: 269
    edited March 2020
    Got so excited with all the hype on here - I'm so gutted.

    To my ear, (all too often) where this album isn't sloppy, garagey mush, it makes no musical sense at all. The production sometimes sounds like everything's been pushed to the front to such an extent that often it's just a wall of noise. Say what you like about O'Brien's creative choices, but he knows how to balance a mix... and he knows how to get the best out of Vedder, and for my money, the rest of the band too.

    Who Ever Said - about 5 different messy, garage-band progressions wrapped around a catchy enough chorus.

    Superblood Wolfmoon - The solo into the breakdown is cool. Again, a bit too mindlessly strummy and garage for a rock band which has McCready and Gossard in it. Sounds like all three guitars (one too many) are playing essentially the same thing.

    DOTC - Great. Playful, inventive, well structured with nice instrumental interplay. 

    Quick Escape - Cool song, oddly produced - feel like Vedder's been pushed back out of the spotlight a bit given the obscuring effect of the vocal EQ and the end solo everyone's been raving about just seems like a thoughtless improvisation - it adds nothing. (McCready's improvs are nearly always nonsense - think he's superb when he stops to think what kind of noise he's making, or when he's reined in by a good producer)

    Alright - Half an idea - begging for a crescendo that never comes.

    Seven O'Clock - A nice tune and melody which struggles to cope with some of Vedder's polysyllabic word choices. Could probably benefit from a little less auxiliary stuff going on - there's a moment between the chorus and the verse where there's so much ambient instrumentation getting pushed so loudly into the foreground that it becomes almost unlistenable. 

    Never Destination - Like someone fed all the rockers on Lost Dogs through a computer program. Alright verse melody and obligatory, thoughtless solo. There's a melody at the very end lifted straight from Tom Petty's, Listen to Her Heart, too.

    Take The Long Way - Kinda cool and jaunty with a catchy chorus but ultimately pretty forgettable.

    Buckle Up - Interesting and lovely.

    Comes Then Goes - Feels like A LOT of recycled guitar ideas (I'm hearing Parting Ways and Far Behind). That said, the overall package I kinda like. It at least makes sense start to finish.

    Retrograde - Pretty guitar parts, nice chorus. The climax has so much auxiliary stuff going on it just feels like a wall of noise - could've been haunting, but they'd rather make a nonsense racket instead.

    River Cross - Beautiful song ruined by that fucking kalimba. 

    I'm sure (hoping) some of these will grow on me, but I don't think there's anything on here to rival the best bits of the last two albums. I'd even go so far as to say that, production aside, the verses of Can't Deny Me were more enjoyable than 90% of this album. I also think, however, that had O'Brien been the producer, a few of these song ideas would've been done a much greater justice.
    Post edited by Eilian on
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, ILPosts: 779
    Jammin909 said:
    PJWGIII said:

    AIGHT SO HERE WE GO....

    *PJWGIII FANVIEWS AFTER THREE FULL LISTENS (GOING ON FOUR AS WE SPEAK)*

    (These are instant reactions, not my edited Journalism — though I may write a full review on our student newspaper The Forest Scout soon — so expect some over-excitement and VERY stream-of-consciousness bullet points)

    - Here’s what is most likely my violently hot take: This album opener/closer pairing (Who Ever Said/River Cross) is up there as one of the band’s best EVER (Yes - this is the same band that went Once/Release on Ten or Go/Indifference on Vs.)

    - Now that it’s all in front of us, I feel pretty safe backing the band on their single selections: DoTC was the classic outlier first choice (a la Nothing as it Seems/Who You Are as opposed to Grievance/Hail, Hail) but it was a fantastic signal to the diehard fans that they were staying weird and actively trying to do something with quality that makes it worth the longest wait they’ve ever made us sit through in their career. I just don’t know if I get as excited about this record if Superblood Wolfmoon is the first single! It was a great second choice though, as it finally gave us our first new ripping Mike McCready guitar solo in forever. This all leads to my next point...

    -QUICK ESCAPE was the best single, and is quickly the best song on the record! Early PJ swag is back in the form of a Zep-like sound with some Queen and Trump references over a really cool vocal effect. The video game it came with will be a great quarantine pastime for me as well. And...

    -MATT FUCKING CAMERON is the MVP of this album. While he has always been a powerful beast that saved the band, he has kind of fallen into the role of being simply a tight metronome more and more often. He finally brought his Soundgarden complexity to Pearl Jam!! I could be crazy wrong because song credits don’t show this, but maybe some of these were very early Soundgarden ideas for what would’ve been their next one? Some of these songs make it sound possible (especially Quick Escape.)

    -While I think it will remain a nice dip into psychedelia for now, I mostly agree with the common take that Buckle Up is the Parachutes of this album. It is true for better and for worse...

    -Comes Then Goes is exactly why I identify with Ed in a musical sense — he has a very percussive mind for guitar and this song is him at his Who-iest and Into The Wild-est and is a great addition (I guess I’m also just glad it was my selection for PJ Fantasy League lol)

    -Lyrics are poignant and meet high expectations. It is a little creepy how well the chorus of DoTC resonates right now...

    -LASTLY AND PERHAPS THE BIGGEST THING: We were 100% wrong on the notion that these guys were kinda done with writing music - they are more dedicated to their craft perhaps than ever, and it showed. This isn’t “Legacy Jam” and that’s what I fucking LOVE about Gigaton. It’s active and resonant, and is exactly what makes this band my favorite.

    I don’t expect something this individually good from an all-time favorite band of mine that is this far into their career, let alone my favorite band of all time. Truly spoiled and can’t wait for some vinyl to show up on my doorstep!

    Current Rating: 8.5/10

    Where it falls in PERSONAL album rankings (could change up or down by the second - the biggest thing is they kept their “undefeated” streak — not one truly bad record):

    1. Vitalogy
    2. Yield
    3. Ten
    4. No Code
    5. Riot Act
    6. Vs.
    7. GIGATON
    8. Binaural
    9. Avocado
    10. Backspacer
    11. Lightning Bolt

    Keep on Rockin’ In The Free World everyone...

    I was really tracking man until I saw Riot Act ahead of Vs. That's just straight nonsense!!
    Nothing against that record my friend – it's arguably their greatest ever. Those are just personal preferences. Also, they change by the second lol. Now that you mention I might flip those two....
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready - Take Over!!" - E.V.

    2018: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 2020: St. Louis 3/4
    https://www.livefootsteps.org/stats/?u=1

    EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

    RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
                                       * * * * * * * * *
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 7,307
    edited March 2020
    I think with the band now having a recording studio at the warehouse AND josh evans basically being a crew member we’ll see more recordings sooner rather than later.  

    I want josh producing them until they hang up their instruments. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, ILPosts: 779
    I think with the band now having a recording studio at the warehouse AND josh evans basically being a crew member we’ll see more recordings sooner rather than later.  

    I want josh producing then until they hang up their instruments. 
    This seems like the best idea and the truth of what is going on.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready - Take Over!!" - E.V.

    2018: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 2020: St. Louis 3/4
    https://www.livefootsteps.org/stats/?u=1

    EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

    RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
                                       * * * * * * * * *
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 14,308
    edited March 2020
    I love the first four songs. Not really into much of the rest, but some might grow on me. Even the ones I don't like that much overall have a moment or two within the song that I do like. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2

    Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 536
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    Got so excited with all the hype on here - I'm so gutted.

    To my ear, (all too often) where this album isn't sloppy, garagey mush, it makes no musical sense at all. The production sounds like everything's been pushed to the front to such an extent that often it's just a wall of noise. Say what you like about O'Brien's creative choices, but he knows how to balance a mix... and he knows how to get the best out of Vedder, and for my money, the rest of the band too.

    Who Ever Said - about 5 different messy, garage-band progressions wrapped around a catchy enough chorus.

    Superblood Wolfmoon - The solo into the breakdown is cool. Again, a bit too mindlessly strummy and garage for a rock band which has McCready and Gossard in it. Sounds like all three guitars (one too many) are playing essentially the same thing.

    DOTC - Great. Playful, inventive, well structured with nice instrumental interplay. 

    Quick Escape - Cool song, oddly produced - feel like Vedder's been pushed back out of the spotlight a bit given the obscuring effect of the vocal EQ and the end solo everyone's been raving about just seems like a thoughtless improvisation - it adds nothing. (McCready's improvs are nearly always nonsense - think he's superb when he stops to think what kind of noise he's making, or when he's reined in by a good producer)

    Alright - Half an idea - begging for a crescendo that never comes.

    Seven O'Clock - A nice tune and melody which struggles to cope with some of Vedder's polysyllabic word choices. Could probably benefit from a little less auxiliary stuff going on - there's a moment between the chorus and the verse where there's so much ambient instrumentation getting pushed so loudly into the foreground that it becomes almost unlistenable. 

    Never Destination - Like someone fed all the rockers on Lost Dogs through a computer program. Alright verse melody and obligatory, thoughtless solo. There's a melody at the very end lifted straight from Tom Petty's, Listen to Her Heart, too.

    Take The Long Way - Kinda cool and jaunty with a catchy chorus but ultimately pretty forgettable.

    Buckle Up - Interesting and lovely.

    Comes Then Goes - Feels like A LOT of recycled guitar ideas (I'm hearing Parting Ways and Far Behind). That said, the overall package I kinda like. It at least makes sense start to finish.

    Retrograde - Pretty guitar parts, nice chorus. The climax has so much auxiliary stuff going on it just feels like a wall of noise - could've been haunting, but they'd rather make a nonsense racket instead.

    River Cross - Beautiful song ruined by that fucking kalimba. 

    I'm sure (hoping) some of these will grow on me, but I don't think there's anything on here to rival the best bits of the last two albums. I'd even go so far as to say that, production aside, the verses of Can't Deny Me were more enjoyable than 90% of this album. I also think, however, that had O'Brien been the producer, a few of these song ideas would've been done a much greater justice.

    Don’t take this the wrong way but you may just not be a fan of the band. Or maybe seeking attention? “Look at me guys!”
  • EilianEilian Posts: 269
    vedpunk said:

    Don’t take this the wrong way but you may just not be a fan of the band. Or maybe seeking attention? “Look at me guys!”
    You're right. I've been a paid up member for 16 years 'cause I'm just not a fan.

    I wasn't entirely negative was I? I picked out bits I liked, right?

    Don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes the Emperor is actually naked.
Sign In or Register to comment.