Things that give you hope.

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    This has always defined hope for me.  Still hard to believe that this occurred.  The night in WW2 when Germans and Americans came together.  

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    This has always defined hope for me.  Still hard to believe that this occurred.  The night in WW2 when Germans and Americans came together.  

Great story- thank you, Iverson!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    To add to it, Fritz was able to find two of the US soldiers in the mid 90s and they reunited.  It really is an incredible story.  Hope for mankind. 
    To add to it, Fritz was able to find two of the US soldiers in the mid 90s and they reunited.  It really is an incredible story.  Hope for mankind. 

Oh man, that's awesome!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    kce8 said:

I was a big frames fan way back and did not have any idea to the Glen Ed connection until a few years ago. I was stumped for awhile reading all the Glen comments at first, because nobody I knew IRL had any idea about the frames.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited December 2019
    My daughter gives me hope. She is focused and intelligent and driving to make a change. At her age all I cared about was drinking, drugs, and sex. I don’t care about drinking anymore. Glad I’ve matured. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Snickers Blizzard is back at DQ!

• I read about Seattle losing the hard drug war problem and the paradigm shift towards not arresting addicts with less than 1 gram for personal. Saving 3 million dollars spent on court system repeat "offenders" and putting that money towards treatment programs for the repeat offenders. Gives me hope that maybe one day we will finally get it.
  • My daughter  gives  me hope.
    She is 18 and just about to embark on a university course and one of englands red brick universities doing  micro biology. 
    I spoke with her yesterday  and she is fascinated with helping people who are suffering from genetic diseases.  
    Im proud . Humbled and mind blown all in one. There  is hope as there  are youngsters  out there who care and want to make a difference.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    My daughter  gives  me hope.
    She is 18 and just about to embark on a university course and one of englands red brick universities doing  micro biology. 
    I spoke with her yesterday  and she is fascinated with helping people who are suffering from genetic diseases.  
    Im proud . Humbled and mind blown all in one. There  is hope as there  are youngsters  out there who care and want to make a difference.  

Marvelous!  Best wishes for your daughters success in college.  :smile:

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited January 2020
    I read about Seattle losing the hard drug war problem and the paradigm shift towards not arresting addicts with less than 1 gram for personal. Saving 3 million dollars spent on court system repeat "offenders" and putting that money towards treatment programs for the repeat offenders. Gives me hope that maybe one day we will finally get it.
    It sounds awesome on paper. It has resulted in Seattle becoming a shithole. Cops won't arrest someone with 3 grams of opiates. And those people piss and shit on the sidewalks and shoot up in plain view. Assaults are rampant. It is a giant clusterfuck of enabling bad behavior. I'm not sure what we're supposed to get, but I know what we got.

Edit: Sorry, I know this is the hope thread, but this particular issue is not something that gives me any sort of hope, and in fact leads to the exact opposite as I watch a segment of our society decay right before our eyes on the streets.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    My daughter  gives  me hope.
    Awesome! Good luck to her.

hippiemom = goodness
  • jeffbr said:
    It sounds awesome on paper. It has resulted in Seattle becoming a shithole. Cops won't arrest someone with 3 grams of opiates. And those people piss and shit on the sidewalks and shoot up in plain view. Assaults are rampant. It is a giant clusterfuck of enabling bad behavior. I'm not sure what we're supposed to get, but I know what we got.

Edit: Sorry, I know this is the hope thread, but this particular issue is not something that gives me any sort of hope, and in fact leads to the exact opposite as I watch a segment of our society decay right before our eyes on the streets.
    my mind is open, and i am listening, and always learning  :)
    so i need to ask you about your opinion on a solution to the crisis?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited January 2020
    RUSH. their body of work renews hope for me. its honest. earnest. vulnerable. defiant. its human.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I'm starting to like the new PJ song  =)

hope

• nintendo

david fincher
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    edited February 2020
    deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    edited February 2020
    deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    kce8 said:
    Thank you for posting this...it gave my soul some soothing today.
    Falling down,...not staying down
    edited February 2020
    deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
    I have long admired Vaclav Havel's definition of hope- the idea that hope is not the conviction that things will turn out well, but that hope is doing what makes sense no matter how things turn out. That seems very positive to me.   I don't find any positive or anything that makes sense in celebrating someone's death.

brianlux said:
    I have long admired Vaclav Havel's definition of hope- the idea that hope is not the conviction that things will turn out well, but that hope is doing what makes sense no matter how things turn out. That seems very positive to me.   I don't find any positive or anything that makes sense in celebrating someone's death.
    Are their thread rules?
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    Are their thread rules?

All Pearl Jam forum threads have rules but what I said has nothing to do with rules- it's just how I feel and think.

Let me expand:

I don't find hope in the death of someone I see as a terrible person.  For example, if Trump died, I would not find hope in that even though I think Trump is a terrible person.  I say this because I don't think Trump is the problem.  Trump is a symptom of what I see as a larger problem. 

Here, on the other hand, is someone who gives me hope:

brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    Are their thread rules?

All Pearl Jam forum threads have rules but what I said has nothing to do with rules- it's just how I feel and think.

Let me expand:

I don't find hope in the death of someone I see as a terrible person.  For example, if Trump died, I would not find hope in that even though I think Trump is a terrible person.  I say this because I don't think Trump is the problem.  Trump is a symptom of what I see as a larger problem. 

Here, on the other hand, is someone who gives me hope:

I hear you. We all find hope in our own places. I definitely don’t hope Yang dies! (That’s as close as I get to an endorsement!)
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    It’s inappropriate to wish death upon another person. Please don’t do that here or anywhere on the forum. Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    Thank you

Sea said:
    It’s inappropriate to wish death upon another person. Please don’t do that here or anywhere on the forum. Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    Thank you

I didn’t. 
    edited February 2020
    Post deleted.
    Post edited by Sea on
    Well now... well, well, well.

It will surprise me if this thread doesn't go down in flames.  That would be a shame.  It will feel hopeful if it doesn't.

brianlux said:
    Well now... well, well, well.

It will surprise me if this thread doesn't go down in flames.  That would be a shame.  It will feel hopeful if it doesn't.
    Seems like as long as we don’t wish death on anyone, we’re good. And no one has done that. Hope for all!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    One of my favorite scenes (quiet, @dankind ;) ):
    https://youtu.be/QnjrClaWdT0

And speaking of great scenes...and what should be.  Perhaps hope too?

Then again, this IS LA...
    https://youtu.be/kQH2E8_oNS4