Flying to any of the shows on Southwest? READ THIS

So, because of the 737MAX issues, Southwest has to change their schedule every month or so.  There is currently a "loophole" where you can book the cheapest flight you can find between your two cities that falls between April 14 to June 6.  You can then change to it any day/time within 14 days of the flight you just booked for no cost.  Example:

Let's say the flight you want from Chicago to St Louis on 4/4 is $300.  But the flight on the 17th (13 days from 4/4) is $100.  You book the $100 flight on the 17th.  As soon as you book, click change and change to the date/time you want for free.  That $300 flight now only cost you $100. 

Note:  this loophole will only last a few days.

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,730
    Interesting...
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    Thank you! I just tried this and saved $87 on my flights in April. I looked at the low fare calendar for that month and booked the two cheapest flights, then immediately changed the flights to the dates and times I wanted.
  • I'll have to take a look...Southwest is already only $173 roundtrip from Cincy to Baltimore on the dates I want

Cleveland 03'
    Cincinnati 03' (Flooded)
    Cincinnati 06'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Chicago N2 23'
    Indy 23' (Cancelled)
    Thank you! I just tried this and saved $87 on my flights in April. I looked at the low fare calendar for that month and booked the two cheapest flights, then immediately changed the flights to the dates and times I wanted.
    Yup.  The only caveat is that the cheap flights need to be within 14 days.  Other than that, can potentially save a ton of money easily.  A lot of the shows are happening over school spring breaks so it can make a big difference.
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 337
    How exactly did you rebook? Call SW?
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• MD190661 said:
    How exactly did you rebook? Call SW?
    Nope.  As soon as you book, there is a "change" link.  Just click it and it will show a message saying you can do a free change within 14 days.  Select the new flight and you are done.

Pro tip:  Some airports have "sister" airports (BOS/PVD/MHT).  You can actually change airports in that case.  So you can book the cheapest BOS/MDW flight, and then change it to PVD/MDW for example.  For those heading to the west coast, I believe SFO/OAK/SJC are sisters.
  • dunewall said:
    I'll have to take a look...Southwest is already only $173 roundtrip from Cincy to Baltimore on the dates I want
    Unfortunately, BWI dates are going to be just outside the range anyway.  it is 4/14-6/6.  You would only be able to book a flight on 4/14 and change to 4/1 (or maybe 3/31).
  • dunewall said:
    I'll have to take a look...Southwest is already only $173 roundtrip from Cincy to Baltimore on the dates I want
    Unfortunately, BWI dates are going to be just outside the range anyway.  it is 4/14-6/6.  You would only be able to book a flight on 4/14 and change to 4/1 (or maybe 3/31).
    Gotcha...thanks.  Based on the current fare calendar, I wouldnt save but $10-20 anyways but I'm not going to complain about any round trip ticket under $200!

Cleveland 03'
    Cincinnati 03' (Flooded)
    Cincinnati 06'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Chicago N2 23'
    Indy 23' (Cancelled)
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 807
    Does this work when booking with points?  So you can book the flight with lowest points and then change to your more desirable flight without having to use more points?
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Too bad it's only good for April.
  • So if I wanted to fly from Chicago to Phoenix on 4/10 and return 4/13 would this work?
    Yes. 
    The cheapest outbound is $117 on 4/18.  Book that.  Then hit "change" and change your date to 4/10.
    The cheapest return is $97 on 4/15.  Book that.  Then hit "change" and change your date to 4/13.

You can probably book this as a round trip from 4/18-4/22 as well and then change, but I always book my southwest flights one way at a time.
  • So, because of the 737MAX issues, Southwest has to change their schedule every month or so.  There is currently a "loophole" where you can book the cheapest flight you can find between your two cities that falls between April 14 to June 6.  You can then change to it any day/time within 14 days of the flight you just booked for no cost.  Example:

Let's say the flight you want from Chicago to St Louis on 4/4 is $300.  But the flight on the 17th (13 days from 4/4) is $100.  You book the $100 flight on the 17th.  As soon as you book, click change and change to the date/time you want for free.  That $300 flight now only cost you $100. 

So if I already booked my flight two days ago does that mean I'm SOL?
  • Too bad it's only good for April.
    Well, it goes into June as well but that won't help for PJ concerts.
  • So, because of the 737MAX issues, Southwest has to change their schedule every month or so.  There is currently a "loophole" where you can book the cheapest flight you can find between your two cities that falls between April 14 to June 6.  You can then change to it any day/time within 14 days of the flight you just booked for no cost.  Example:

So if I already booked my flight two days ago does that mean I'm SOL?
    Not entirely.  I assume you booked on cash and not points?  Southwest allows you to cancel flights and the $ goes as "travel funds" that have to be used within 1 year.  Here is what you could do:

1)  You have a flight booked for $400.  Cancel that flight.  You now have $400 in travel credit
    2)  Your "cheapest" combo of flights is now $300.  Book those and use the travel funds to pay for it at checkout (not credit card)
    3)  You will now have $100 in credit remaining that you have 1 year to use.  2nd leg of US tour maybe?!!?

If you did it with points it's even easier, but I assume you did not.
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,432
    So if I wanted to fly from Chicago to Phoenix on 4/10 and return 4/13 would this work?
    Yes. 
    The cheapest outbound is $117 on 4/18.  Book that.  Then hit "change" and change your date to 4/10.
    The cheapest return is $97 on 4/15.  Book that.  Then hit "change" and change your date to 4/13.

You can probably book this as a round trip from 4/18-4/22 as well and then change, but I always book my southwest flights one way at a time.
    Thats awesome. Does the time of flight matter?
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • So if I wanted to fly from Chicago to Phoenix on 4/10 and return 4/13 would this work?
    Yes. 

Nope.  You can book a 1pm connecting through 2 cities on the 18th, and then change it to a direct at 9am on the 10th.
  • And for anyone nervous about trying this, southwest allows you to cancel for 100% refund within 24 hrs of booking.  So if you mess up the directions, you can just cancel and try again.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,985
    I have a request. Could you start a thread that tells us all these loopholes! You said they make these changes every month or so. When else can we exploit SW?!
  • chukdotcomchukdotcom Posts: 631
    edited January 2020
    mace1229 said:
    I have a request. Could you start a thread that tells us all these loopholes! You said they make these changes every month or so. When else can we exploit SW?!
    Sure, except it may be coming to an end.  It has been going on since July of last year.  It basically re-opens once a month around now.
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270

So the cheapest fare on the flights I want to take is the Wanna Get Away fare.  If I buy flights in this fare class but one of the actual flights (on the date I want to travel) currently says Sold Out in the column for Wanna Get Away fares, will I be able to switch to that one?  Or, am I only going to be able to switch to the flights that show availability in the flight class I have purchased?
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,336
    rey said:

So the cheapest fare on the flights I want to take is the Wanna Get Away fare.  If I buy flights in this fare class but one of the actual flights (on the date I want to travel) currently says Sold Out in the column for Wanna Get Away fares, will I be able to switch to that one?  Or, am I only going to be able to switch to the flights that show availability in the flight class I have purchased?
    lol...ask Southwest....
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    MD190661 said:
    How exactly did you rebook? Call SW

Pro tip:  Some airports have "sister" airports (BOS/PVD/MHT).  You can actually change airports in that case.  So you can book the cheapest BOS/MDW flight, and then change it to PVD/MDW for example.  For those heading to the west coast, I believe SFO/OAK/SJC are sisters.
    And Santa Ana, Ontario and Burbank are sisters for LAX
    Have flown into both SNA and BUR and they are tiny and much easier to navigate than LAX
    This weekend we rock Portland
    So if I wanted to fly from Chicago to Phoenix on 4/10 and return 4/13 would this work?
    Yes. 

I just tried that with a trip to PHX on 4/11...didn't work. 
    I chose the cheapest outbound on 4/10 and booked, went to change to 4/11 and it wanted to add the difference in order to make the change
  • Damn I wish I knew about this before the presale ended... But thank you so much! I hadn't heard about this and I fly SW all the time!

I'm gonna go look at some flights and might add some shows!
    I chose the cheapest outbound on 4/10 and booked, went to change to 4/11 and it wanted to add the difference in order to make the change
    AHA..but I was outside the range...GOT IT...wonder if it will work for my Oakland flights
    OMG..IT WORKED!!!!
  • I chose the cheapest outbound on 4/10 and booked, went to change to 4/11 and it wanted to add the difference in order to make the change
    That's because the original booking needed to be in the 4/14 to 6/6 window, not 4/10 like you booked.
    Lolla St. Louis 92, StL 98, Kansas City 98, Knoxville 98, StL 00, Kansas City 00, Oklahoma City 03, StL 03, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Kansas City 03, Philly x 2 03, MSG x 2 03, StL 04, GR 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, SF x 3 06, Portland, Gorge x 2 06, MSG x 2 08, Hartford 08, Mansfield x 2 08
    saved $60 on SAN to PHX