Options

Flying to any of the shows on Southwest? READ THIS

Comments

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,374
    wonder if it would work for New Orleans ?
  • Options
    Worked perfectly. Saved $80 on the exact flight I wanted SAN/PHX. OAK flights next. Thank you!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,769
    OMG..IT WORKED!!!!
    Awesome! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    So, because of the 737MAX issues, Southwest has to change their schedule every month or so.  There is currently a "loophole" where you can book the cheapest flight you can find between your two cities that falls between April 14 to June 6.  You can then change to it any day/time within 14 days of the flight you just booked for no cost.  Example:

Let's say the flight you want from Chicago to St Louis on 4/4 is $300.  But the flight on the 17th (13 days from 4/4) is $100.  You book the $100 flight on the 17th.  As soon as you book, click change and change to the date/time you want for free.  That $300 flight now only cost you $100. 

Note:  this loophole will only last a few days.
    So if I already booked my flight two days ago does that mean I'm SOL?
    Makes sense.  I booked half of my trip on points so even better!  
  • Options
    Worked perfectly. Saved $80 on the exact flight I wanted SAN/PHX. OAK flights next. Thank you!
    I had already booked the cheapest non-stops San to Oak and nothing goes under $79 Ow in the future
  • Options
    rey said:

So the cheapest fare on the flights I want to take is the Wanna Get Away fare.  If I buy flights in this fare class but one of the actual flights (on the date I want to travel) currently says Sold Out in the column for Wanna Get Away fares, will I be able to switch to that one?  Or, am I only going to be able to switch to the flights that show availability in the flight class I have purchased?
    Yes.  As long as there is ANY seat avail on the plane.
  • Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    rey said:

So the cheapest fare on the flights I want to take is the Wanna Get Away fare.  If I buy flights in this fare class but one of the actual flights (on the date I want to travel) currently says Sold Out in the column for Wanna Get Away fares, will I be able to switch to that one?  Or, am I only going to be able to switch to the flights that show availability in the flight class I have purchased?
    Yes.  As long as there is ANY seat avail on the plane.

It worked, thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Sweet! Thanks for the info. Gonna try to do this tonight for the Phoenix show

Also, the Chase SW credit cards right now are 75k bonus points. You get 40k points after you spend $1k in the first 3 months, and then another 35k points after you spend $5k in the first 6 months of opening. It won't help anybody for this tour, but IF there is a fall tour, you can get some free flights for those with points.  there is some restrictions though like it's not available to current card members and you can't have gotten a new cardmember bonus in the last 24 months, but still a fantastic deal. 
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    When you schedule the "mock trip" let's call it, does it have to be the same length of trip? 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    My last flight is on the 14th (San Diego to Denver).  Have to check this out 
  • Options
    pjpitt89 said:
    When you schedule the "mock trip" let's call it, does it have to be the same length of trip? 
    No.  And I usually just book one ways anyway.  You will sometimes find that the cheapest return flight is actually BEFORE the cheapest outbound.
  • Options
     If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out about this loophole? I'm always looking for things like this lol
  • Options
    My last flight is on the 14th (San Diego to Denver).  Have to check this out 
    You can also use it on flights for BEFORE the 14th.  You just have to make sure the "dummy" flight you book for cheap is 4/14-6/6 (and within 14 days of your "real" flight).  Assuming it is, you can change it to 4/1-4/14 (or maybe even 3/31, math is hard).
  • Options
    ponytd said:
     If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out about this loophole? I'm always looking for things like this lol
    Flyertalk forums
  • Options
    ponytd said:
    Flyertalk forums
    Cool, thanks
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    Amazing tip. Thank you!
  • Options
    JBob87 said:
    Amazing tip. Thank you!
    Glad to hear it worked for you.  I hope everyone sees this thread that is travelling.  I was afraid it was going to die off when no one responded to it for a while.
  • Options
    Just saved about $117 on the Phoenix trip. Boom! Thanks
  • Options
    ponytd said:
    Just saved about $117 on the Phoenix trip. Boom! Thanks
    Everyone "saving" money is probably about to spend 3x that going to more shows!  Not that there is anything wrong with that.
  • Options
    For anyone having problems with this, you are missing this key part:

The "cheap" flight you book MUST be between 4/14 and 6/6.  You can then change that flight to a flight within 14 days from 4/1 to 6/20.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Poncier said:
    MD190661 said:
    How exactly did you rebook? Call SW

Pro tip:  Some airports have "sister" airports (BOS/PVD/MHT).  You can actually change airports in that case.  So you can book the cheapest BOS/MDW flight, and then change it to PVD/MDW for example.  For those heading to the west coast, I believe SFO/OAK/SJC are sisters.
    And Santa Ana, Ontario and Burbank are sisters for LAX
    Have flown into both SNA and BUR and they are tiny and much easier to navigate than LAX
    BUR (Burbank) is the best airport ever, IMHO.  The parking lot is $10/day, and the shuttle to get to the terminal from the parking lot is a 5 minute ride.  There are rarely lines for TSA.
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    If this hack were posted earlier I would have put in for more shows and gone broke LOL. Keep this updated if this ends up working into the fall tour.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    pulling69 said:
    If this hack were posted earlier I would have put in for more shows and gone broke LOL. Keep this updated if this ends up working into the fall tour.
    There is always fan to fan...
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    pulling69 said:
    There is always fan to fan...

Yeah true that....I am going to keep an eye on that when it opens to look for good tickets/prices for a trip.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    Wow thank you so much!  Cancelled and rebooked my flights saving over 17k points.
  • Options
    Wow thank you so much!  Cancelled and rebooked my flights saving over 17k points.
    Glad to hear you could take advantage of it!
  • Options
    I tried to do it to book for Denver....booked cheapest SAN - DEN (which was $72 each way) for some days in May. When I went to change it the parameter dates had changed to later in April and I couldn't do it. 
  • Options
    I tried to do it to book for Denver....booked cheapest SAN - DEN (which was $72 each way) for some days in May. When I went to change it the parameter dates had changed to later in April and I couldn't do it. 
    The change has to be within 14 days of your cheap flight. 
  • Options
    The change has to be within 14 days of your cheap flight. 
    My bad...I changed it up and used the minimum points (6K)!!! Thanks!!!
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,071
    edited January 2020
    Great info!
    (tenclubbers chanting)
    chukdotcom!!!
    chukdotcom!!!
    chukdotcom!!!

Post edited by whoyouare72 on