I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Barnes & Noble still has their clearance sale going on.  Went today. 

Cocteau Twins - Treasure
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited January 2020
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    I didn't know I liked Billy Bragg, but OH do I like this album!  Made in '84, it sounds like music for today:

Brian, if you haven't already, check out the Mermaid Avenue records he made with Wilco.

Those collaborations capture Woody Guthrie's spirit quite well, and Jay Bennett was still with us (and Wilco) to make things interesting.

Oooh, that sounds interesting, dankind, I'll check it out, thanks!

This is just one of those songs for me. (Lovely backup vocals by Natalie Merchant, too.)

https://youtu.be/AOjgLptZCn0

Very nice, thanks.

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    I didn't know I liked Billy Bragg, but OH do I like this album!  Made in '84, it sounds like music for today:

Brian, if you haven't already, check out the Mermaid Avenue records he made with Wilco.

Those collaborations capture Woody Guthrie's spirit quite well, and Jay Bennett was still with us (and Wilco) to make things interesting.

I’ll second dankind’s recommendation of the Mermaid Avenue releases. My copy of Mermaid Ave Vol. 1 on CD was physically stuck in the CD player of my old shitbox Outback for months. Never got tired of listening to that album. California Stars is in my top five favorite songs ever recorded.
    "California Stars" is my anthem.

I checked out California Stars.  Excellent!  Wonderful Woody Guthrie lyrics  cover!  I see that the lyrics are Guthrie's but the music is Tweedy and Co.  Nice.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

This is just one of those songs for me. (Lovely backup vocals by Natalie Merchant, too.)

Very nice, thanks.

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I’ll second dankind’s recommendation of the Mermaid Avenue releases. My copy of Mermaid Ave Vol. 1 on CD was physically stuck in the CD player of my old shitbox Outback for months. Never got tired of listening to that album. California Stars is in my top five favorite songs ever recorded.

I checked out California Stars.  Excellent!  Wonderful Woody Guthrie lyrics  cover!  I see that the lyrics are Guthrie's but the music is Tweedy and Co.  Nice.
    Yes, the Guthrie estate let Billy Bragg and Wilco go through Woody’s journals of unrecorded songs and create some magic. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Very nice, thanks.

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, the Guthrie estate let Billy Bragg and Wilco go through Woody’s journals of unrecorded songs and create some magic. 
    Holy shit, is that how this album was made?  Using Woodie Guthrie journals?!?
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited January 2020
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Very nice, thanks.

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Very nice, thanks.

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

"There's an airline plane, flies to heaven everyday".
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Very nice, thanks.

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

And as legend as it, Woody offered all of these journals to Bob Dylan.  When Bob stopped by Woody’s place on Coney Island to pick it up the only people home were Arlo Guthrie and his babysitter. They had no idea what Dylan was taking about, so Bob left and never got the journals, which ended up being forgotten about until the Bragg/Wilco collaboration.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Pink Floyd The Early Years from Santa Claus last year.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    edited January 2020
    Picked up quite a few records over the holidays through trades, gifts and gift cards.

Doors - Absolutely Live
    Fugazi - Steady Diet Of Nothing
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
    Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
    Pearl Jam - MTV Unplugged
    Doom Side Of The Moon - S/T
    Soundgarden -  Live At The Artists Den
    BB King - Live At The Regal
    Bad Religion - Recipe For Hate
    Helmet - Meantime
    John Coltrane - Love Supreme
    QOTSA - Lullabies To Paralize 
    Gone Is Gone - S/T
    Nirvana - Bleach
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
    Pink Floyd The Early Years from Santa Claus last year.
    That was misdelivered! It was supposed to rain down my chimney! Fucking Santa!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Picked up quite a few records over the holidays through trades, gifts and gift cards.

Doors - Absolutely Live
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Helmet - Meantime
    Gone Is Gone - S/T
    Some beauties there. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Picked up quite a few records over the holidays through trades, gifts and gift cards.

Doors - Absolutely Live
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Helmet - Meantime
    Gone Is Gone - S/T
    "Love Supreme" - one of my favorites.  Abe - can you please think about something when you listen to that one?  Can you tell me if you have any distortion on side 2?  There is speculation that the master tape of that has a problem on side 2 as every different version seems to have problems with it.  I have a fairly pricey version and even that as some distortion/non fill or something.  I'd love to find a cut that is clean all the way through.  
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    The Beach Boys catalog on Stereo from Analogue Productions
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The Beach Boys catalog on Stereo from Analogue Productions
    VERY NICE!!
    mrussel1 said:

Doors - Absolutely Live
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Helmet - Meantime
    Gone Is Gone - S/T
    "Love Supreme" - one of my favorites.  Abe - can you please think about something when you listen to that one?  Can you tell me if you have any distortion on side 2?  There is speculation that the master tape of that has a problem on side 2 as every different version seems to have problems with it.  I have a fairly pricey version and even that as some distortion/non fill or something.  I'd love to find a cut that is clean all the way through.  
    I’ll let you know...
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Very nice, thanks.

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

That's SO cool! 

Little side story here:  I found a Woody Guthrie record once that I could not find on Discogs or eBay.  This was several years ago so it may have surfaced since then, but at the time, this thing was just not out there.  So I hemmed and hawwed... what to do with it?  I got a hold of Arlo Guthrie and told him I had no idea what the record was worth but maybe I could have it put in the Guthrie estate.  We emailed back and forth a few times and made it happen. I thought that was pretty cool.  Worth way more than simply selling it.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Very nice, thanks.

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

That's SO cool! 

Little side story here:  I found a Woody Guthrie record once that I could not find on Discogs or eBay.  This was several years ago so it may have surfaced since then, but at the time, this thing was just not out there.  So I hemmed and hawwed... what to do with it?  I got a hold of Arlo Guthrie and told him I had no idea what the record was worth but maybe I could have it put in the Guthrie estate.  We emailed back and forth a few times and made it happen. I thought that was pretty cool.  Worth way more than simply selling it.  :smile:
    Arlo's a good egg. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited January 2020
    @mrussel1 sounds really clean to me!
    (so far anyway)
    edited January 2020
    Can you shoot me the number so I can check the version on discogs?

Isn't it just a gorgeous album?  I find hard bop jazz super relaxing.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Can you shoot me the number so I can check the version on discogs?

Isn't it just a gorgeous album?  I find hard bop jazz super relaxing.  
    Yeah man, I find it super relaxing as well.  Beautiful album.
    Of course Impulse calls everything GR-155.  
    So... is that the single LP (not the 3x LP with the outtakes) 
    And is that regular black or the translucent black smoke from the Sound of Vinyl?  If it's a new copy straight black, then I think I have that one and have some non fill on B.  Could be my copy if yours is dead quiet all the way to the end. 
    mrussel1 said:
    And is that regular black or the translucent black smoke from the Sound of Vinyl?  If it's a new copy straight black, then I think I have that one and have some non fill on B.  Could be my copy if yours is dead quiet all the way to the end. 
    Its the regular black.  Mine seems quiet all the way through.  Didn't notice any distortion at all. Not sure where its from as it was a xmas gift from my sister in law.
    mrussel1 said:
    Its the regular black.  Mine seems quiet all the way through.  Didn't notice any distortion at all. Not sure where its from as it was a xmas gift from my sister in law.
    Thanks Abe.  Could be my copy.  I guess this is another excuse to add to my "Damn, why do I have four of these?" collection.  
    (so far anyway)

That masterpiece of music helped me make it through a very hard time in my life when I was down hard with Epstein-Barr virus in the 80's.  It really helped me hang on.  What an amazing record. 

brianlux said:
    (so far anyway)

That masterpiece of music helped me make it through a very hard time in my life when I was down hard with Epstein-Barr virus in the 80's.  It really helped me hang on.  What an amazing record. 
    A masterpiece indeed!!!  Glad it helped you through tough times brother. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Thanks Abe.  Could be my copy.  I guess this is another excuse to add to my "Damn, why do I have four of these?" collection.  
    I am still hoping I come across one of the 2013 AP Kevin Gray cuts of this for a good price.
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I am still hoping I come across one of the 2013 AP Kevin Gray cuts of this for a good price.
    Yeah but every time I look, they are 200 plus.  AP should do some reissues.  There's a handful I'd love to own.  That's at the top. 
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah but every time I look, they are 200 plus.  AP should do some reissues.  There's a handful I'd love to own.  That's at the top. 
    No doubt, I would be a repress of that, yesterday. lol
  • MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    No doubt, I would be a repress of that, yesterday. lol
    Is the Newbury Comics cut any good?