I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Oh and @tempo_n_groove, you should sell those boxes if you don't like them!  
  • mrussel1 said:
    Oh and @tempo_n_groove, you should sell those boxes if you don't like them!  
    I'd lose money on them.  They are fine on my shelf.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Awaiting delivery of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  The Complete Studio  Albums Vols 1 and 2.....
    Haha.. a wise decision.  You will love them all. 
    Meh
    Fascinating and useful. 
    I bought them both and when I listened to them I realised how much of TP&HB music I didn't care for.  I figured I would find a  bunch of gems that I would enjoy and that was completely the opposite.
    I've heard enough on TP Radio on Siriusxm to get this for more than just the hits.

What would really be cool is vinyl releases of some of his live shows over the years.  theres this chicago in 04 I think 2 Men Talkin that just simply fucking rocks....
    Like someone else mentioned on here, Live Anthology takes, what the band thought, were the BEST performances of those songs throughout the years.

Also they do have almost every show taped so they could go the Grateful Dead route and release shows from out the years.

Lastly, I was hoping to find some songs that I could enjoy but it just wasn't for me, so I spent a ton of money on the box sets.  Maybe I'll revisit them, who knows.
    or list them on discogs...... recoup your money at least
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Waiting for Wild Flowers deluxe treatment 
    I couldnt wait for all that extraneous bs surrounding to resolve. daughter(s) brought suit against stepmom and the band.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    I couldnt wait for all that extraneous bs surrounding to resolve. daughter(s) brought suit against stepmom and the band.
    Interestingly,  the forward and notes throughout the American Treasure set were written by his ex wife and daughter.  I guess they have some control over the music. 
  • mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Awaiting delivery of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  The Complete Studio  Albums Vols 1 and 2.....
    Meh
    Fascinating and useful. 
    I bought them both and when I listened to them I realised how much of TP&HB music I didn't care for.  I figured I would find a  bunch of gems that I would enjoy and that was completely the opposite.
    I've heard enough on TP Radio on Siriusxm to get this for more than just the hits.

What would really be cool is vinyl releases of some of his live shows over the years.  theres this chicago in 04 I think 2 Men Talkin that just simply fucking rocks....
    Like someone else mentioned on here, Live Anthology takes, what the band thought, were the BEST performances of those songs throughout the years.

Also they do have almost every show taped so they could go the Grateful Dead route and release shows from out the years.

Lastly, I was hoping to find some songs that I could enjoy but it just wasn't for me, so I spent a ton of money on the box sets.  Maybe I'll revisit them, who knows.
    or list them on discogs...... recoup your money at least
    Used sets sell for $100 and I paid more than that.

They will stay on my shelf...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I didn't know I liked Billy Bragg, but OH do I like this album!  Made in '84, it sounds like music for today:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Interestingly,  the forward and notes throughout the American Treasure set were written by his ex wife and daughter.  I guess they have some control over the music. 
    currently listening to the deluxe set via itunes. plenty on here to enjoy. especially that outtake of two men talking from hypnotic eye.

dunno why that song has grabbed me, really dig the groove they got going.

• What is this?  I never heard of them.

Liverpool "indie" band lead singer was previously in the La's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjFzUVCQ1vM&list=PLH1rLSfHXAAJkhlDZ-LCuQDRjOezmAUsp&index=1

Liverpool "indie" band lead singer was previously in the La's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjFzUVCQ1vM&list=PLH1rLSfHXAAJkhlDZ-LCuQDRjOezmAUsp&index=1

I checked out the years and their was a lot of good stuff coming from across the pond at that time but this one slipped through the cracks.

I will check them out.

Thanks!
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

Fuck Me these are so damn heavy.....and the boxes for each set barely fit in the bookshelf turned record stand I use for storage......

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

Fuck Me these are so damn heavy.....and the boxes for each set barely fit in the bookshelf turned record stand I use for storage......

They are heavy.. the vinyl is heavyweight for sure.  I don't have a scale but always felt 180 to me.  And yeah, the boxes don't fit on my shelving either, which totally sucks because they are good looking boxes.  Let me know how it goes spinning. For me, the early years are a bit hit or miss.  Obviously Damn the Torpedoes is amazing, Southern Accents, etc.  But after he got together with Harrison and Jeff Lynne, and started a bit more country rock with Full Moon Fever, everything that followed is stellar to me.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

They are heavy.. the vinyl is heavyweight for sure.  I don't have a scale but always felt 180 to me.  And yeah, the boxes don't fit on my shelving either, which totally sucks because they are good looking boxes.  Let me know how it goes spinning. For me, the early years are a bit hit or miss.  Obviously Damn the Torpedoes is amazing, Southern Accents, etc.  But after he got together with Harrison and Jeff Lynne, and started a bit more country rock with Full Moon Fever, everything that followed is stellar to me.  
    so I was stuck for 3 hrs behind an accident last night and listened to a lot of AT. fuck they were all so damn good individually as players but the vibe together is just out of this world. Benmont just blows me the fuck away. I need to check out his recent solo.

the stuff that was completely foreign to me was familiar.

the motherfucker has always just been there.
    and with siriusxm he will remain. his goofy ass on buried treasure show is hilarious.

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    the original Damn the torpedoes I bought for $1.00 sounds better than 90% of the records I own....
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    I didn't know I liked Billy Bragg, but OH do I like this album!  Made in '84, it sounds like music for today:

Brian, if you haven't already, check out the Mermaid Avenue records he made with Wilco.

Those collaborations capture Woody Guthrie's spirit quite well, and Jay Bennett was still with us (and Wilco) to make things interesting.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

so I was stuck for 3 hrs behind an accident last night and listened to a lot of AT. fuck they were all so damn good individually as players but the vibe together is just out of this world. Benmont just blows me the fuck away. I need to check out his recent solo.

and with siriusxm he will remain. his goofy ass on buried treasure show is hilarious.
    As a Florida native, I'm always up for the argument that, pound for pound/player for player, the Heartbreakers are more skilled musicians than the E Street band. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

As a Florida native, I'm always up for the argument that, pound for pound/player for player, the Heartbreakers are more skilled musicians than the E Street band. 
    Clarence Clemens is the X factor...
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

That is an argument I would never have, because it would require me to disparage one of the two groups.  Clarence IS quite the X though.  They both have their place.  But Mickey is right.. Tom is easy to take for granted because he's not like a comet shooting through the night, he always felt like one of us.  Just a normal guy that wrote music that we could relate to..things that made sense.  He is the loser that got lucky, which is the perfect song for him.  My heart broke when he died.  But I will always be glad for the times I got to see him play.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

That is an argument I would never have, because it would require me to disparage one of the two groups.  Clarence IS quite the X though.  They both have their place.  But Mickey is right.. Tom is easy to take for granted because he's not like a comet shooting through the night, he always felt like one of us.  Just a normal guy that wrote music that we could relate to..things that made sense.  He is the loser that got lucky, which is the perfect song for him.  My heart broke when he died.  But I will always be glad for the times I got to see him play.  
    recently watched springsteen on broadway(highly recommend) on Netflix and Clarence was really the only band member mentioned by name with any great significance in bruces stories. quite touching.

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

recently watched springsteen on broadway(highly recommend) on Netflix and Clarence was really the only band member mentioned by name with any great significance in bruces stories. quite touching.
    I think the quote was "I miss him like I miss the rain.  He was elemental".  My wife starting bawling.  And then he played that beautiful piano version of Tenth Avenue.  
    and to keep it topic, I have an earlier box set live 75-85 $16 from bruce and born to run for $14. From the same woman who sold me this over priced Mid Century piece I have my stereo on.

edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
      Arrived yesterday.

I think the quote was "I miss him like I miss the rain.  He was elemental".  My wife starting bawling.  And then he played that beautiful piano version of Tenth Avenue.  
    its funny, last night one of my coworkers was in a loaner truck. asked him why cuz I'd been off sick since last week.
    He says "it's a death trap" so of course I follow with "a suicide rap?" and "you got out while you're young"

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• I love The La's album, particularly the cracking last tune as such a change from the rest of the 2-3 min tracks on the album...really loved Cast's debut as well especially Walk Away - never knew they'd done more records. Will have to check that one out. Have been enjoying seeing some of the old early~mid 90s UK bands getting back together and playing a handful of NA gigs. Saw Chapterhouse in 2010, James in 2010 and just last year again in 2019, have tix to see EMF with Jesus Jones in May. First Canada gig for Jesus Jones since 1993! Crazy. Chapterhouse only played 6 gigs in NA I think, tiny club in Toronto called Lee's Palace (where I saw Brad in 1997) which fits maybe 250 people.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Brian, if you haven't already, check out the Mermaid Avenue records he made with Wilco.

Those collaborations capture Woody Guthrie's spirit quite well, and Jay Bennett was still with us (and Wilco) to make things interesting.

Oooh, that sounds interesting, dankind, I'll check it out, thanks!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

This is just one of those songs for me. (Lovely backup vocals by Natalie Merchant, too.)

https://youtu.be/AOjgLptZCn0
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I’ll second dankind’s recommendation of the Mermaid Avenue releases. My copy of Mermaid Ave Vol. 1 on CD was physically stuck in the CD player of my old shitbox Outback for months. Never got tired of listening to that album. California Stars is in my top five favorite songs ever recorded.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited January 2020
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

This is just one of those songs for me. (Lovely backup vocals by Natalie Merchant, too.)

https://youtu.be/AOjgLptZCn0
    As soon as I saw your first post I thought of this song. Great song on a great record.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I’ll second dankind’s recommendation of the Mermaid Avenue releases. My copy of Mermaid Ave Vol. 1 on CD was physically stuck in the CD player of my old shitbox Outback for months. Never got tired of listening to that album. California Stars is in my top five favorite songs ever recorded.
    "California Stars" is my anthem.
    I SAW PEARL JAM