Wildfire(s) Out West

Comments

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    brianlux said:
    1.1 million hectares burnt out on NSW now.
    Damn, that's 2.718 million acres. 

Last year we had a total of 1,893,913 burn just in California- 8.8 million total for the U.S. 

World wide?  A tremendous amount of acreage.  

World on fire.  :frowning:
    brianlux said:
    1.1 million hectares burnt out on NSW now.
    Damn, that's 2.718 million acres. 

Last year we had a total of 1,893,913 burn just in California- 8.8 million total for the U.S. 

World wide?  A tremendous amount of acreage.  

World on fire.  :frowning:
    its growing by the day. this is total in NSW only and probably starting 2 months ago. they are throeing everything at them but the fires are relentless. i evacuated 3 days ago
    Thank you America we have another DC10 air tanker on its way from you guys to add to our fleet for this fire season 🙏
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thank you America we have another DC10 air tanker on its way from you guys to add to our fleet for this fire season 🙏
    I wonder why we cannot purchase these for ourselves so we don't have to keep hiring them from the American fire crews?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I wonder why we cannot purchase these for ourselves so we don't have to keep hiring them from the American fire crews?
    Probably cheaper to lease.  They run $20 million U.S. each!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

constant emergency warnings this fire just wont back down. I want to go home while i still have one 😢 it's just one of the many in NSW but ours is now at 24,000 hectares and counting
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    constant emergency warnings this fire just wont back down. I want to go home while i still have one 😢 it's just one of the many in NSW but ours is now at 24,000 hectares and counting
    It's terrible - I'm so sorry. :frowning: I really don't know what else to say.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's terrible - I'm so sorry. :frowning: I really don't know what else to say.
    Thank you. Just thankful for our fantastic fire service who are working their arses off keeping us safe. 
    Sorry to hear. I did not know you were affected. I hope you and your home are fine.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Sorry to hear. I did not know you were affected. I hope you and your home are fine.
    thank you yes i have the large hillville fire about 1km away but have fire trucks patrolling the streets.. i am staying about 10 minutes away at my sisters where its a bit safer.
    thank you America the DC10 911 has arrived in NSW 🙏 holds twice the amount of water as ours.
    edited November 2019
    very fitting song by the wallflowers "heroes" breaks my heart. lots of footage from the fires near me 😢
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157526198804693&id=636654692
    Seriously our area looks like a war zone and these are our brave soldiers. Just a short drive from my home looks like a bomb went off with home after home destroyed by fire. 
    Seriously our area looks like a war zone and these are our brave soldiers. Just a short drive from my home looks like a bomb went off with home after home destroyed by fire. 
    Yes, I always give major kudos and thanks to fire fighters.  One of the toughest jobs in the world. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    From bushfires to thunder and hailstorms. I swear this country makes no sense sometimes

https://7news.com.au/news/weather/brisbane-hail-severe-storms-to-smash-parts-of-southeast-queensland-c-560949

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    From bushfires to thunder and hailstorms. I swear this country makes no sense sometimes

https://7news.com.au/news/weather/brisbane-hail-severe-storms-to-smash-parts-of-southeast-queensland-c-560949

crazy footage of the hail. We need rain not cricket ball size hail and dry lightning sparking more blazes. We cant catch a break 
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/13/world/australia/fires-climate-change-pragmatism.html
    that's the hillville fire threatening my home town in the New York Times.
    I got talking to a couple of firemen this afternoon at a takeaway place. They had popped in to pick up some dinner for the crew, still in their full gear on the way back to the firehouse. We went over to say hi and thank them, they were more interested in asking my 5 year old son if he wanted to see the firetruck. (He did, and he loved it!)
    They were really humble guys. A few of us offered to pay for their food but they wouldn’t have any of it.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    I got talking to a couple of firemen this afternoon at a takeaway place. They had popped in to pick up some dinner for the crew, still in their full gear on the way back to the firehouse. We went over to say hi and thank them, they were more interested in asking my 5 year old son if he wanted to see the firetruck. (He did, and he loved it!)
    They were really humble guys. A few of us offered to pay for their food but they wouldn’t have any of it.
    Very cool!

goldrush said:
    are you near these fires also?  The firies have been nothing short of amazing here. The community has been taking care of our local firies with our local takeaway delivering 50 meals to my fire station down the rd. People have been cooking meals and taking them down the station everyday and making sandwiches and lunch packs to take out with them on the trucks. We have had countless trucks and firies local, state and out of state firies here. Absolute mammoth effort and most of these men and women are volunteer rfs.
    our air quality at home currently worst in the world on the mid north coast for the last month but they only report on Sydney air quality today. Poor fuckers must be tough living in the city (sarcasm) 😞
    goldrush said:
    Awesome!
    I reckon being a firey would be a good job but I am not fit enough haha.
    our air quality at home currently worst in the world on the mid north coast for the last month but they only report on Sydney air quality today. Poor fuckers must be tough living in the city (sarcasm) 😞
    The air quality will spoil their latte's haha.
    Thanks Bono for acknowledging our firies 👍
    https://www.facebook.com/7390614415/posts/10158115200614416/
    6000kms of fire edge in NSW alone so much forest gone 
    https://www.facebook.com/213250965551/posts/10157439545800552/
    Then we have unlikely heroes like this woman.. This footage gutted me but its a reality that needs to be seen. 
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2942792559073707&id=125982670754724
    goldrush said:
    are you near these fires also?  The firies have been nothing short of amazing here. The community has been taking care of our local firies with our local takeaway delivering 50 meals to my fire station down the rd. People have been cooking meals and taking them down the station everyday and making sandwiches and lunch packs to take out with them on the trucks. We have had countless trucks and firies local, state and out of state firies here. Absolute mammoth effort and most of these men and women are volunteer rfs.
    No thankfully I’m not that close, but my wife’s family are. The Turramurra fire last week was the closest one to us, that’s about a 10 minute drive away.

We’ve actually just arrived in the UK for a holiday with my family. Flying out on a 36 degree day and landing to 8 degrees was a shock to the system.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited August 2020
    Never say it can't get worse...
    Out here in the west, we're just entering fire season.  We're in the middle of a record heat wave, there's wind everywhere, and the latest CalFire update shows 28 active fires going right now, some rather large and sure to grow.  Hot weather, wind fire.  No one needs to tell any of us out here to go to hell.  Were there.

Oh, and we just got an update from PG&E telling us to expect power outages through Thursday.

Welcome to paradise?  No frickin' way!  :lol: 
    Post edited by brianlux on

We're feeling lucky to have no fires close by, but they're raging all up and down the state.  We've had ash falling off and on today.  Many fire area are under red flag warning until 9 AM tomorrow.  Feels and looks rather eerie out there.

Stay safe.. brings back horrible memories of our black summer in Australia. We already have fires starting and it's winter in the north of the state the last couple of days.
    After listening/ reading more news about what's going on a couple hours away from here, plus ALL OVER the state, I'm damn near freaking out.  I went over our evacuation list again, changed out the spare cat food in the cat carrier, rechecked to go-bag for essentials.  We're out of harms way for now but on high alert with what's going on around the state.  The greater Bay Area is being hammered mercilessly by the mighty breath of hell.

Live Fire Updates: Bay Area fires explode in size, setting up fights to save neighborhoods and entire towns

Dozens lose homes as firefighters struggle to contain three major complex fires

Tens of thousands of people were forced to flee their homes as unchecked fires, fueled by dry and windy weather, exploded across three corners of the Bay Area Wednesday, destroying dozens of structures and filling the air across much of the region with unhealthy smoke.

As the sun set, firefighters across the state were battling hundreds of known wildfires, leaving weary and thinly stretched crews in the Bay Area to brace for a battle through the night to save neighborhoods and entire communities in the paths of these blazes:

• The CZU August Lightning Complex Fire in Santa Cruz and San Mateo counties, which more than doubled in size Wednesday, growing to cover 25,000 acres, destroying at least 20 homes, forcing 22,000 people to evacuate and burning out of control.

• The LNU Lightning Complex Fire in Lake, Napa, Sonoma and Solano counties, which covered more than 124,000 acres as of Wednesday evening, having also more than doubled through the day. The fire has destroyed 105 structures, forced more than 15,000 people to evacuate and is also out of control.

• The SCU Lightning Complex Fire in Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa, Stanislaus and San Joaquin counties, which covered 102,000 acres as of Wednesday evening, and was just 5 percent contained.