Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    The ‘Live In London’ solo concert is playing in the Hearse Theatre and it is mind blowing. 
    The $20 NYA subscription is worth it for the performance of Ambulance Blues alone.

From Hank To Hendrix
    Ambulance Blues
    Sad Movies
    No One Seems To Know
    Harvest
    Journey Through The Past
    Mellow My Mind
    Homegrown
    After The Goldrush
    Love/Art Blues
    Love Is A Rose 
    Out On The Weekend
    Old King
    Don’t Let It Bring You Down
    Cowgirl In The Sand
    Old Man
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    The first single is out, "Milky Way".  Cool!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited September 2019
    Milky Way is growing on me now, but I’m not a fan of Rainbow of Colours so far. I think it’s better as a solo track than this band version. I’m not exactly 0 for 2 for the new NYCH songs, maybe 0.5 for 2...

Still, I hated Children of Destiny and I still like the rest of The Visitor LP so I’m not giving up hope!
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    edited September 2019
    Neil played New Mama for the first time since 1977 yesterday at the Harvest Moon Gathering, a daytime benefit concert for The Painted Turtle and The Bridge School. 

The whole show is up on YouTube now

https://youtu.be/1eM8EgAL2-c

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Thanks so much for sharing...he looks and sounds phenomenal! 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I'll be seeing Mr Young Thursday night in Indy....can't wait
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Is this letter from @Spiritual_Chaos in disguise?

(Tim Rogers)
    The wonderful 'Silver & Gold' concert film is now playing in the Hearse Theater for subscribers

1. "Looking Forward"
    2. "Out of Control"
    3. "Buffalo Springfield Again"
    4. "Philadelphia"
    5. "Daddy Went Walkin'"
    6. "Distant Camera"
    7. "Red Sun"
    8. "Long May You Run"
    9. "Harvest Moon"
    10. "The Great Divide"
    11. "Slowpoke"
    12. "Good to See You"
    13. "Silver & Gold"

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Is this letter from @Spiritual_Chaos in disguise?

Merde! 

he should have written down one or two songs he would have covered. 

"Man I really dig She's So Europeans. Would def do that one with Crazy Horse"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    goldrush said:
    Neil played New Mama for the first time since 1977 yesterday at the Harvest Moon Gathering, a daytime benefit concert for The Painted Turtle and The Bridge School. 

The whole show is up on YouTube now

https://youtu.be/1eM8EgAL2-c

Very cool, thanks for posting it!

It's interesting to me that Neil migrated from Canada to Southern California to Northern California and back to Southern California.   I don't know why I find that curious, I just do.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

cutz said:
    goldrush said:
    The ‘Le Noise Sessions’ film is currently playing in the NYA Hearse Theater. It includes 2 versions of the unreleased song You Never Call, as well a few of the Psychedelic Pill tracks.

1. You Never Call (Guitar)
    ---
    2. Walk With Me
    3. Sign Of Love
    4. Someone's Gonna Rescue You
    5. Love and War
    6. Angry World
    7. Hitchhiker
    8. Peaceful Valley Boulevard
    9. Rumblin'
    ---
    10. You Never Call (Organ)
    11. For The Love Of Man (Gretsch 6120)
    12. Hitchhiker (alternate take)
    13. Twisted Road (White Falcon)
    14. Born in Ontario (D-45 with LR Baggs pickup)
    15. Instrumental (White Falcon)
    Thanks for the heads-up but it's already been taken down. Ther's a 34 minute version of Like a Hurricane now playing. Maybe it will be played again?
    @cutz The 'Le Noise Sessions' are back up in the Hearse Theater today 

(Tim Rogers)
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    goldrush said:
    cutz said:
    goldrush said:
    The ‘Le Noise Sessions’ film is currently playing in the NYA Hearse Theater. It includes 2 versions of the unreleased song You Never Call, as well a few of the Psychedelic Pill tracks.

---
    2. Walk With Me
    3. Sign Of Love
    5. Love and War
    6. Angry World
    7. Hitchhiker
    9. Rumblin'
    ---
    Thanks for the heads-up but it's already been taken down. Ther's a 34 minute version of Like a Hurricane now playing. Maybe it will be played again?
    Man, i missed it AGAIN!

Maybe next time.

Thanks for the heads-up though.
    How was the show?
    The set list looks pretty sweet -  only the 5th time that My Heart has been played

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    How was the show?
    The set list looks pretty sweet -  only the 5th time that My Heart has been played

It was great.  I was bummed that he didn't play Cinnamon Girl but Ohio, Fuckin Up, Mr Soul were awesome.

He's still got it.  I hope he tours with Crazy Horse with the new album.

I've always hoped that PJ would cover Mr Soul.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I had no idea that Promise of the Real included Willie Nelson's two sons.   There was a rumor that Willie might show up but that didn't happen.

Lukas started singing September Song and I would have sworn it was Willie.  Sounded just like him....for a split second I thought it was Willie because Lukas was sitting at a piano and I couldn't see him.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited September 2019
    goldrush said:
    cutz said:
    goldrush said:

---
    2. Walk With Me
    3. Sign Of Love
    5. Love and War
    6. Angry World
    7. Hitchhiker
    9. Rumblin'
    ---
    out of all his stuff, I like this album the best. what is this "le noise sessions" you speak of?

edit: wikipedia showed me the way. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Should I pick up Ragged Glory used at a shop here in town (owners own copy) for $36 or wait for the re-relase with the added songs Neil has mentioned?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • re-release
    I'd wait for the re-release as well, unless you are trying to collect original issues of all of Neil's records.
    We could be waiting a while for that re-release to actually appear though!

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    I'd wait for the re-release as well, unless you are trying to collect original issues of all of Neil's records.
    We could be waiting a while for that re-release to actually appear though!
    Don't care for original issues etc... Neil always delivers with his reissues I guess. And if it comes with an extra record with songs...
    There’s a cool snippet from The Mountaintop Sessions film on NYA Contrarian now, showing the recording of ‘Help Me Lose My Mind’.
    Neil is in a fiery mood, but the song sounds  great.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Fuck. I went by the record store (a really small one) on my way back from the library on my lunch. And he asked me to stay there for a few minutes because he needed to use the bathroom (Was about to put a sign up on the door "closed. be back in 5 minutes" when I passed), so while I was waiting I went over to look at Ragged Glory...

... and then I booouuught iiiit..... booooh! 38 dollars. Guess I can sell it next year when the re-issue arrives, or I can give it away as gift to my dad or something.... but still.... 

Bought a few other things too. But nothing more with Neil. Was looking at This Notes For You. Unsure if I have that one.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQfi5WfpJrM

Neil Young and Promise of the Real at Farm Aid, Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI, Sept 21, 2019.

Are You Ready for the Country?
    Workin' Man
    Homegrown
    Harvest Moon
    Heart of Gold
    Throw Your Hatred Down
    Rockin' in the Free World
    Roll Another Number (For the Road)

Fuck. I went by the record store (a really small one) on my way back from the library on my lunch. And he asked me to stay there for a few minutes because he needed to use the bathroom (Was about to put a sign up on the door "closed. be back in 5 minutes" when I passed), so while I was waiting I went over to look at Ragged Glory...

... and then I booouuught iiiit..... booooh! 38 dollars. Guess I can sell it next year when the re-issue arrives, or I can give it away as gift to my dad or something.... but still.... 

Bought a few other things too. But nothing more with Neil. Was looking at This Notes For You. Unsure if I have that one.
    $38 is a good price for an original Ragged Glory!  Well done! 

When that LP came out, I bought it at a record store on Santa Rosa, California.  The store had this promo poster in the window (this is not my photo, just one copied off the internet- my copy is flat and it's actually a fairly big poster):

I asked the store owner if there was any chance he would consider selling it and he said, "Oh, it's just a promo poster, you can have it."  Oh man, was I elated!  Still thrilled to have been so lucky!

• Hopefully Dublin 1995 is gonna be up on the Hearse theater soon !

1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2

Fuck... I'm hoping for a 4K BD release + vinyl.

Wasn't it shot on film?

Wasn't it shot on film?

Hopefully Dublin 1995 is gonna be up on the Hearse theater soon !

Wasn't it shot on film?
    Don't know what it was shot on. I remember Neil mentioned in a reply to a letter that he had a cold that night which was why the movie was shelved.
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2019

Wasn't it shot on film?

Wasn't it shot on film?
    Don't know what it was shot on. I remember Neil mentioned in a reply to a letter that he had a cold that night which was why the movie was shelved.

A news quote from that time:
    ATN just got word that Neil Young recorded his Dublin concert last month (performing with Pearl Jam as his back-up band) with an eye to releasing it either later this year, or in early 1996. According to Young's manager, Elliot Roberts, Academy Award winning director, Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot) filmed the concert, with plans to release the footage as part of a package with the recording. Warner's uber-publicist, Bob Merlis, informs us that it would be unlikely that a live album would be released without the film. "Let's just say that the album would be driven by the film, rather than the other way around." According to Merlis, no one has seen the footage yet--but he asks the rhetorical question, "How bad could it be, the guy has an academy award, he knows what he's doing."

Here's a quote from myself from this board: "And Jonathan Demme (no less) who passed today, shot Neil Young and Crazy Horse just after on 35mm with the cinematographer of Silence of the Lambs/Sixth Sense etc. Also not released." 

Don't know how I know that, but must be Demmes film I was thinking of. 

But from another board someone posted: "
    His gig with pearl jam in 95 in the rds needs to be released. Filmed by Jim Sheridan on proper panavision cameras" 

So that mean 35 mm. Which means RELEASE IT ON 4K BD!

• Eddie Vedder + Promise of the Real

https://youtu.be/0AiQU8tniCs