***Glen Hansard Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Just got back. For those who care, the show was amazing. Glen has the flu but was still at the top of his game. 

Loud mouthed, drunken douches in the crowd couldn't keep their fucking mouths shut but Glen dealt with them appropriately. 

He is playing with a full band but no horn section like the last tour we saw. All of them are first rate musicians. 

In all, great performance by a great band.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    dudeman said:
    Just got back. For those who care, the show was amazing. Glen has the flu but was still at the top of his game. 

Loud mouthed, drunken douches in the crowd couldn't keep their fucking mouths shut but Glen dealt with them appropriately. 

He is playing with a full band but no horn section like the last tour we saw. All of them are first rate musicians. 

Sounds great! Missed his solo shows this year but luckily caught him with Ed‘s shows.
    last time I saw him solo his backing band was mostly members of his old band The Frames.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the heads up...
    we're seeing Glen in Cincinnati tomorrow night!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

derbydave said:
    dudeman said:

Have a great time!
    dudeman said:
    derbydave said:
    dudeman said:

Have a great time!
    AND...they just cancelled the show due to artist illness.

'16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

Oh man! I'm sorry. 

Seeing him yesterday, I can understand the cancellation. He was looking pretty rough and was very apologetic about the performance. I thought it was still great but it looked like he was having a hard time. 

I sincerely hope that he gets better soon. The world needs Glen Hansard right now. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Just saw him in Chicago on Friday. He was awesome as usual, though I really haven't been able to get into his latest album. I thought the 2 prior albums were fucking amazing though. I also missed having the brass backing that he had from the last tour. 

Also, as Cincinnati is aware, he doesn't seem to be doing well. You could definitely tell he was under the weather on Friday. And he mentioned it a few times. Cheers to Glen for still putting out his best effort. Dude seems like a legit guy.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2019
    derbydave said:
    dudeman said:
    derbydave said:
    dudeman said:

Have a great time!

Yeah, that sucks, I'm sorry. I know what a bummer that feels like. I got a notice from some maillist I'm on about it, and he cancelled the two shows after Cincy too, on doctor's orders, and is hoping to be back at it on Friday. The message from him also said that he hoped to be back to all 3 cities asap.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    derbydave said:
    dudeman said:
    derbydave said:
    dudeman said:

Have a great time!

Yeah, that sucks, I'm sorry. I know what a bummer that feels like. I got a notice from some maillist I'm on about it, and he cancelled the two shows after Cincy too, on doctor's orders, and is hoping to be back at it on Friday. The message from him also said that he hoped to be back to all 3 cities asap.
    Thanks for the heads up about rescheduling the cancelled shows...
    I'll be on the lookout for the new dates!! 

I hope Glen feels better soon. His contribution to the world of music is undeniable. 

After seeing him five times so far, I'm still surprised at the power he possesses in his voice, guitar playing and songwriting abilities. 
    derbydave said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    derbydave said:
    dudeman said:
    derbydave said:
    dudeman said:

Have a great time!

Thanks for the heads up about rescheduling the cancelled shows...
    I'll be on the lookout for the new dates!! 
    Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to quite give you that impression. It wasn't actually said they were being rescheduled. It was more like he feels really bad about it and wants to 'fit them in' somehow when possible, I would assume during his next US tour. But you never know - maybe he will go more out of his way than that to get it done. But actual "rescheduling" wasn't the message. I would post it, but sorry, I forget what maillost it came from and I deleted after reading. :(
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Just got back from Hansard in Portland. One of the best shows I have ever seen. Unreal talent. His band was out of this world!!! Glad I flew in from Calgary 
    May 30th said:
    Just got back from Hansard in Portland. One of the best shows I have ever seen. Unreal talent. His band was out of this world!!! Glad I flew in from Calgary 
    Awesome. Yes, I agree he puts on a top notch show. His is in my top 5 best shows ever (saw him last tour, not this one).
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    He's live on Instagram right now.
  • kramer73 said:
    He's live on Instagram right now.
    And how amazing that was! 
    They saved the stream so people can watch it for the next 24 hours 
    ... se key on. ;-)

Pearl Jam Sept. 23, 2006 Berlin | June 20, 2010 Berlin | July 04 & 05, 2012 Berlin | June 26, 2014 Berlin | June 12 & 13, 2018 Amsterdam | July 05, 2018 Berlin
    EV June 01, 2017 Berlin | June 28, 2019 Berlin | June 30, 2019 Düsseldorf
  • LizJLizJ Posts: 334
    You can find the Stream over at Glens thegingerman222 Instagram.
  • That was fantastic. I enjoyed the stories between songs as well. He has some talented neighbors too. 
    5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    That was fantastic. I enjoyed the stories between songs as well. He has some talented neighbors too. 
    They’re both musicians, too. Cool neighborhood! He’s gonna do it again on the 21st
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    tonight was supposed to be the 30th anniversary gig of Glen's old band The Frames in Dublin. Because of the virus it had be postponed to next year but there is a wee kitchen session going on over at Glen's insta @thegingerman222
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Glen Hansard + Marketa Irglova announced a small U.S. tour. Presale tix go live tomorrow :bee: 
    Hoping to catch either the ATL or Ryman show.

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    jjflash said:
    Glen Hansard + Marketa Irglova announced a small U.S. tour. Presale tix go live tomorrow :bee: 

Going for ATL tomorrow. May end up with an extra since the wifey will likely bail. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    jjflash said:

I saw them together last year at the Beacon. It was a great show. I recommend it.

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    G.R TBD WTF LOL 🙂

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• I saw them in a tent in dingle. I have a few  sideways videos on you tube.  Magical. Easily my favourite music
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I saw them in a tent in dingle. I have a few  sideways videos on you tube.  Magical. Easily my favourite music
    Oh wow, you went to Footsbarn? Who played when you went? I so wanted to go to some of those, but never was able.
  • It was just  swell season. It was magic after the gig we all went out and sang with glen around a fire. He offered  me a verse in auld triangle and i got shy. I wish to be jaysus i hadn't.  Thats me in green next to glen. He signed stuff and had photo's.  I took one with him and he said no take another  and qe faced into the moon to get light. I will never forget it. I took my 16 year old at the time daughter magical road trip to the dingle peninsula. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I will upload my sideways videos
     The sound was so good . Only  about 100 there 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07