The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Senator Booker please drop out:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/21/politics/senators-home-state-polling/index.html

Poll of the week: A new Monmouth University poll of New Jersey's potential Democratic primary voters finds that former Vice President Joe Biden leads the Democratic presidential primary race with 26%. He's followed by Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 20%, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders at 18% and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker at 9%. 
    What's the point: This poll gives you an idea of how much Booker's campaign is struggling at this moment. It's one thing not to be leading nationally or in early primary states. It's another thing entirely to be in a distant fourth place and lower than 10% in the state where you're a sitting US senator.

But Booker can take comfort in not being alone. Many of his fellow Democrats are also trailing in the Democratic primary polling in their home states:
      • New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who dropped out of the race on Friday, came in at 0% among both New York state and New York City Democrats, according to a Siena College poll out this week
      • California Sen. Kamala Harris has averaged only about 10% in California polls released this month, putting her in fourth. 
      • Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet is near the back of the pack, with below 5% in an average of Colorado polls this year. 
      • Former Texas congressman Beto O'Rourke was tied for third at 12% in a recent Quinnipiac University poll in Texas. Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro was at 3% in the same poll. 
      • Warren hasn't led in a single poll taken in Massachusetts, though she may be closing the gap.
      • South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar were behind in the single non-high quality poll in their home states.
      The fact that so many Democratic candidates aren't winning in their home states is not a good sign. These are the voters who know you best and should be the most behind you. 
      Indeed, almost every eventual major party nominee since 1980 was leading in their home state in the poll taken closest to this point. The only known exception was Democrat John Kerry in 2003, who was in second place at 23% in Massachusetts. Additionally, there was no polling in Minnesota in 1983, though Walter Mondale was crushing the field at 46% in next door Iowa. 
      In September 2015, Democrat Hillary Clinton was lapping the field with 45% in a Siena poll of New York Democrats. Republican Donald Trump was well ahead his GOP opponents, too, with 34% among New York Republicans. 
      Further, Clinton and Trump were actually on the lower end of where a majority of eventual nominees were polling in their home states at this point. The average share in home state polling was 52% for the 14 major party nominees who ran in cycles in which an incumbent was not running for their party's nomination. 
      None of the candidates who are behind in their home states are anywhere close to that right now. 
      The only candidate who we can say with any real certainty is ahead in his home state is Biden. He was well ahead in Delaware last year and has been consistently in the lead in nearby Pennsylvania this year.
      Sanders also may be out in front in Vermont, but we have no polling from there. 
        The fact that so many candidates are polling poorly in their home state speaks in some ways to the nationalization of presidential campaigns. It also speaks to the fact that we have a lot of candidates who are running and just aren't connecting right now. 
        For better or worse, this is pretty much the same top tier primary race no matter where you are in this country.
        I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
      • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
        Hi! said:

Trump’s doing this because he knows I’ll beat him like a drum, and he’s using the abuse of power and every element of the presidency to try to do something to smear me,” he told reporters in Iowa.

On Saturday, Biden said that he had never spoken to Hunter about his business dealings in Ukraine, and backed calls for the House to investigate -- as well as suggesting it could begin a path to impeachment.

“Depending on what the House finds, he could be impeached but I’m not making that judgment now,” he said. “The House should investigate it, this appears to be an overwhelming abuse of power.”

He went on to call Trump a “serial abuser.”

“He abuses power everywhere he can and if he sees any threat to staying in power, he’ll do whatever he has to do -- but this crosses the line,” he said.

Biden’s remarks came just hours after Trump dismissed the controversy as a “Ukraine Witch Hunt” being stoked by the Democratic Party and the “fake news media,” and said that the real scandal was to do with Biden’s interactions in the country.

Wow this " crosses the line" that's really going to influence voters and scare trump. Damn he sounds like hilary 

This was his chance to accuse trump of hiding the facts because its possible he stole taxpayer money for personal gain. Something that resonates in swing states 

And make that a rallying cry until trump releases transcripts 

Yet again democratic handlers and candidates show zero ability for killer instinct.
        dignin said:
        I thought Pocahontas killed her candidacy?
         Trump smashed warren to bits and the only reason she got a second life is Democrats do not go for the jugular 

Think of how moronic a party is for supporting someone that polls 8 points worse in the general.

If she gets the nomination say goodbye ACA and supreme court 
      • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
        i think biden beats trump. 
        i think trump beats all the other dems. 
        Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
        Agreed.  
        I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
      • What’s Warren’s baggage other than claiming Native American heritage? She ever rape anyone? Sexually assault anyone? Rip anyone off? Claim bankruptcy multiple times? Refuse to release her taxes? Been married multiple times? Side with corporate America and the 1% multiple times to the detriment of all others? Violate the constitution?

Underestimate Elizabeth at your peril. She’s working hard and as more people witness her passion, energy, commitment and consistency, you’ll see her gather momentum. Team Trump Treason won’t debate her and if he does, he’ll lack substance and resort to name calling. Enough Americans are sick of it and him.
        09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
      • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
        What’s Warren’s baggage other than claiming Native American heritage? She ever rape anyone? Sexually assault anyone? Rip anyone off? Claim bankruptcy multiple times? Refuse to release her taxes? Been married multiple times? Side with corporate America and the 1% multiple times to the detriment of all others? Violate the constitution?

Underestimate Elizabeth at your peril. She’s working hard and as more people witness her passion, energy, commitment and consistency, you’ll see her gather momentum. Team Trump Treason won’t debate her and if he does, he’ll lack substance and resort to name calling. Enough Americans are sick of it and him.
        Yup.

I'm interested to see how things go now that she is starting to inch closer to front runner status.

She's been underestimated this whole campaign.
      • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
        edited September 2019
        mcgruff10 said:
        Senator Booker please drop out:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/21/politics/senators-home-state-polling/index.html

Poll of the week: A new Monmouth University poll of New Jersey's potential Democratic primary voters finds that former Vice President Joe Biden leads the Democratic presidential primary race with 26%. He's followed by Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 20%, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders at 18% and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker at 9%. 
        What's the point: This poll gives you an idea of how much Booker's campaign is struggling at this moment. It's one thing not to be leading nationally or in early primary states. It's another thing entirely to be in a distant fourth place and lower than 10% in the state where you're a sitting US senator.

But Booker can take comfort in not being alone. Many of his fellow Democrats are also trailing in the Democratic primary polling in their home states:
          • New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who dropped out of the race on Friday, came in at 0% among both New York state and New York City Democrats, according to a Siena College poll out this week
          • California Sen. Kamala Harris has averaged only about 10% in California polls released this month, putting her in fourth. 
          • Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet is near the back of the pack, with below 5% in an average of Colorado polls this year. 
          • Former Texas congressman Beto O'Rourke was tied for third at 12% in a recent Quinnipiac University poll in Texas. Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro was at 3% in the same poll. 
          • Warren hasn't led in a single poll taken in Massachusetts, though she may be closing the gap.
          • South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar were behind in the single non-high quality poll in their home states.
          The fact that so many Democratic candidates aren't winning in their home states is not a good sign. These are the voters who know you best and should be the most behind you. 
          Indeed, almost every eventual major party nominee since 1980 was leading in their home state in the poll taken closest to this point. The only known exception was Democrat John Kerry in 2003, who was in second place at 23% in Massachusetts. Additionally, there was no polling in Minnesota in 1983, though Walter Mondale was crushing the field at 46% in next door Iowa. 
          In September 2015, Democrat Hillary Clinton was lapping the field with 45% in a Siena poll of New York Democrats. Republican Donald Trump was well ahead his GOP opponents, too, with 34% among New York Republicans. 
          Further, Clinton and Trump were actually on the lower end of where a majority of eventual nominees were polling in their home states at this point. The average share in home state polling was 52% for the 14 major party nominees who ran in cycles in which an incumbent was not running for their party's nomination. 
          None of the candidates who are behind in their home states are anywhere close to that right now. 
          The only candidate who we can say with any real certainty is ahead in his home state is Biden. He was well ahead in Delaware last year and has been consistently in the lead in nearby Pennsylvania this year.
          Sanders also may be out in front in Vermont, but we have no polling from there. 
            The fact that so many candidates are polling poorly in their home state speaks in some ways to the nationalization of presidential campaigns. It also speaks to the fact that we have a lot of candidates who are running and just aren't connecting right now. 
            For better or worse, this is pretty much the same top tier primary race no matter where you are in this country.
            I still think dumb fuck O’Rourke is campaigning FOR Trump.  He has screwed up any chance of winning anything ever in TX, that’s for sure!
            Post edited by PJPOWER on
            I think Biden would have a solid chance in the general election, but not sure he is going to win the primary due to being somewhat of a moderate.  Most of the others seem to be pandering to the far left, and that will not help them beat Trump when it counts.  The more publicity candidates like Beto get, the less chance the democrats have of a 2020 presidency.
            dignin said:
            What’s Warren’s baggage other than claiming Native American heritage? She ever rape anyone? Sexually assault anyone? Rip anyone off? Claim bankruptcy multiple times? Refuse to release her taxes? Been married multiple times? Side with corporate America and the 1% multiple times to the detriment of all others? Violate the constitution?

Yup.

I'm interested to see how things go now that she is starting to inch closer to front runner status.

no one said anything about baggage or if she's raped anyone or how hard she's working. i just don't see the american people getting behind her in the amount that she needs. if she wins, fan fucking tastic. i just don't see it at this point. 
            Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
            I think Biden would have a solid chance in the general election, but not sure he is going to win the primary due to being somewhat of a moderate.  Most of the others seem to be pandering to the far left, and that will not help them beat Trump when it counts.  The more publicity candidates like Beto get, the less chance the democrats have of a 2020 presidency.
            No offense, but I think the last thing democrats should do is take advice from Republicans.
            dignin said:

Yup.

no one said anything about baggage or if she's raped anyone or how hard she's working. i just don't see the american people getting behind her in the amount that she needs. if she wins, fan fucking tastic. i just don't see it at this point. 
            I think you underestimate her charisma and appeal. I think the worst thing democrats could do is go for the safe choice, the "sure thing". I think that's riskier, given 2016.
            edited September 2019
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            No offense, but I think the last thing democrats should do is take advice from Republicans.
            No offense, but I think the last thing Democrats should do is rally up votes for the Republicans from the moderates.
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            No offense, but I think the last thing Democrats should do is rally up votes for the Republicans from the moderates.
            You really think Biden moderates are going to run to Trump?

When was the last time you voted for a democrat?
            edited September 2019
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:

2004, so far Biden is the only one I’m interested in voting for.  But I guess my opinion and vote doesn’t matter to Democrats?  Oh well, maybe 2024...
            edited September 2019
            dignin said:
            dignin said:

Yup.

I think you underestimate her charisma and appeal. I think the worst thing democrats could do is go for the safe choice, the "sure thing". I think that's riskier, given 2016.
            no, i don't, i think some are overestimating the american voter. 

it takes a LOT to unseat an incumbent in american politics. people seem really wary of it. 

i think warren's great. i just think americans are going to be very wary of someone so progressive. 
            Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
            Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:

2004, so far Biden is the only one I’m interested in voting for.  
            But I guess my opinion and vote doesn’t matter to Democrats?  Oh well, maybe 2024...
            Would you vote for Biden over Trump? Or is that a maybe?

My bet is there are way more voters who would get out and vote in 2020 for Warren who stayed home in 2016. People looking for inspiration and something different.

Democrats want those Obama voters, not look for the Romney ones. Those Obama voters who stayed home or voted for Trump in 2016.

dignin said:
            dignin said:

Yup.

no, i don't, i think some are overestimating the american voter. 

it takes a LOT to unseat an incumbent in american politics. people seem really wary of it. 

i think warren's great. i just think americans are going to be very wary of someone so progressive. 
            If we could elect Notley here in Alberta, I don't see why the US couldn't elect Warren. Right leader at the right time, that's all it takes 

I'm optimistic.
            edited September 2019
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:

But I guess my opinion and vote doesn’t matter to Democrats?  Oh well, maybe 2024...

My bet is there are way more voters who would get out and vote in 2020 for Warren who stayed home in 2016. People looking for inspiration and something different.

Democrats want those Obama voters, not look for the Romney ones. Those Obama voters who stayed home or voted for Trump in 2016.

I would definitely vote for Biden over Trump, but you are right, I’m not looking for “inspiration”.  I’m a policy voter.  I couldn’t care less about charisma or some catchy phrase like “hope and change”.  Didn’t realize Democrats were such an exclusive club...wait, yes I did.  I’m looking for someone with broad appeal.  Someone that will look out for the best interests of both, the rural and city dwellers.  

PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:

I would definitely vote for Biden over Trump, but you are right, I’m not looking for “inspiration”.  I’m a policy voter.  I couldn’t care less about charisma or some catchy phrase like “hope and change”.  Didn’t realize Democrats were such an exclusive club...wait, yes I did.  I’m looking for someone with broad appeal.  Someone that will look out for the best interests of both, the rural and city dwellers.  

But yet you voted for Trump over Clinton. So I'm not really buying the moderate angle you're selling. 

Remember, she was the moderate that election.
            edited September 2019
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:

But yet you voted for Trump over Clinton. So I'm not really buying the moderate angle you're selling. 

I don’t really care if you “buy it” or not.  I’m not the politician trying to sell it.  Hillary didn’t even campaign in my area...why would I vote for her?  She turned her nose up to us.  She didn’t want my vote.
            I would have voted for Biden in the last election too, but that wasn’t really an option.

edited September 2019
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:

I don’t really care if you “buy it” or not.  I’m not the politician trying to sell it.  Hillary didn’t even campaign in my area...why would I vote for her?  She turned her nose up to us.  She didn’t want my vote.
            I would have voted for Biden in the last election too, but that wasn’t really an option.

But you just said you care about moderate policy, not all the other stuff.

You really going to tell me that Trump was the moderate between the two?

Sounds like you based your vote off emotion, helping me make my point. Thanks.
          • dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:
            dignin said:
            PJPOWER said:

But you just said you care about moderate policy, not all the other stuff.

You really going to tell me that Trump was the moderate between the two?

Sounds like you based your vote off emotion, helping me make my point. Thanks.
            Fear.
            09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
            edited September 2019
            Meh, not solely off emotion, as any moderate (and human being/voter) would and should say :)

Warren has never proven she could take a punch and counter, and her health mandates will scare mid America voters.

Biden and the dems have mostly treated her with kid gloves and it is starting to hurt the party

Regarding Warren's "Native American heritage" it demonstrates that she made bad political decisions and got knocked out by trump's punch 

She followed decades of supporting her terrible employment  application decision as a young woman with a horrific decision to take a dna test.

She followed up that decision to publicly support her dna test decision.

It wasn't until tribal leaders essentially took trumps side until she backed down. Trump boxed her into a corner and made her look like a fool, and he was barely trying.
          • What’s Warren’s baggage other than claiming Native American heritage? She ever rape anyone? Sexually assault anyone? Rip anyone off? Claim bankruptcy multiple times? Refuse to release her taxes? Been married multiple times? Side with corporate America and the 1% multiple times to the detriment of all others? Violate the constitution?

Warren has never proven she could take a punch and counter, and her health mandates will scare mid America voters.

Biden and the dems have mostly treated her with kid gloves and it is starting to hurt the party

Regarding Warren's "Native American heritage" it demonstrates that she made bad political decisions and got knocked out by trump's punch 

She followed decades of supporting her terrible employment  application decision as a young woman with a horrific decision to take a dna test.

It wasn't until tribal leaders essentially took trumps side until she backed down. Trump boxed her into a corner and made her look like a fool, and he was barely trying.
            Most, if not all, will not matter to voters when presented with a choice. So, the only baggage she has is Pocahontas? I see her making Team Trump Treason look small and petty during the debates.

Brilliantati©
          • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Most, if not all, will not matter to voters when presented with a choice. So, the only baggage she has is Pocahontas? I see her making Team Trump Treason look small and petty during the debates.
            I understand your point, but I disagree that most voters wont care. Maybe not her supporters, or a usual democrat voter, but people on the fence or uneducated voters who can’t understand the nuances of things, and that’s a lot of voters. Maybe the Pocahontas thing is played out, IDK, but she hasn't come under attack about that from the left like Biden has had too with his gaffes and age, and when it comes time for the general they’ll be hammering on that everyday. I think the socialism card will be easier played against Warren compared to Biden in the general.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
            Any D candidate will STOMP DJT if he even makes it to the general.  He's on thin effing ice.
            Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
            Hi! said:

I understand your point, but I disagree that most voters wont care. Maybe not her supporters, or a usual democrat voter, but people on the fence or uneducated voters who can’t understand the nuances of things, and that’s a lot of voters. Maybe the Pocahontas thing is played out, IDK, but she hasn't come under attack about that from the left like Biden has had too with his gaffes and age, and when it comes time for the general they’ll be hammering on that everyday. I think the socialism card will be easier played against Warren compared to Biden in the general.

What concerns me the most is Warren's campaign,  not Biden's, is the most like Hillary's as she is getting white glove treatment from everybody so far.

I confidently believe trump would love warren as his opponent. Her policies are far outside the values of middle America, her health mandates will be seen as invasive and she hasnt proven she can take a punch.

I also didnt think voters would care at all about a silly email server.
          This discussion has been closed.