Are Professional Sports Slowly Dying?

1235»

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Bread and circus baby, bread and circus!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I remember growing up and going to baseball games as a family several times a year, and going to Disneyland a few times a year too. Now I wouldn't do either, it's just too expensive.
    A day at Disneyland for a family of 4 could cost $1000 (after tickets, parking, food, etc), and baseball used to be a cheap family day, now that is expensive too. Even more if you have to travel and factor in a hotel.
    I can't explain Disneyland, but sports are just overpaid in my opinion. A top ranked player 50 years ago would make half a million in today's money. Today they make tens of millions. And honestly I don't see a reason to pay that much. Is some kid out of college who is good at baseball going to turn down a contract for $300,000 and work at some office for a 60k salary instead? I doubt it.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    mace1229 said:
     A top ranked player 50 years ago would make half a million in today's money. Today they make tens of millions. And honestly I don't see a reason to pay that much. Is some kid out of college who is good at baseball going to turn down a contract for $300,000 and work at some office for a 60k salary instead? I doubt it.

It is because money is coming in.

There is over $16 Billion in revenue per year coming into the NFL right now (and increasing).  Should the billionaire robber baron owners get all of that?  As it is now, players get about 48% of the revenue.  

The NHL has a similar shared revenue structure, and I think the NBA has it to some degree.  The MLB CBA gives me fits, but I dont think those salaries are directly tied to revenue.  I am positive there is a correlation though.

But yes, overall the pricing is out of hand. But people pay it and these leagues are profiting.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    mace1229 said:
    I remember growing up and going to baseball games as a family several times a year, and going to Disneyland a few times a year too. Now I wouldn't do either, it's just too expensive.
    A day at Disneyland for a family of 4 could cost $1000 (after tickets, parking, food, etc), and baseball used to be a cheap family day, now that is expensive too. Even more if you have to travel and factor in a hotel.
    I can't explain Disneyland, but sports are just overpaid in my opinion. A top ranked player 50 years ago would make half a million in today's money. Today they make tens of millions. And honestly I don't see a reason to pay that much. Is some kid out of college who is good at baseball going to turn down a contract for $300,000 and work at some office for a 60k salary instead? I doubt it.
    Couldn't you say the same thing about musicians? 
    If fans are willing to pay the prices then the market is there to make ridiculous money. At least with athletes, their salary scale is generally based on the actual talent/performance, whereas some musicians are utter crap and make millions.