Options

Are Professional Sports Slowly Dying?

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    The quality of player is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better in every sport.

To Ottavino's point, he would strike out Babe Ruth every time.

Kevin Durant would beat Bob Cousy 21-0 with a blown Achilles. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE5SDgXLb1g
    Bob Cousy is 6'1" so I hope Durant could beat him, lol.

As for Ruth getting struck out?  Not so sure.  They through junk ball spitters back in the day and still had some fireball throwers.  Hand eye is still there.

But as for overall quality of a player, yes, it is better.

Better training, nutrition and medicine now.
    Curry then.. Curry would win 21-0 and KD would beat BIll Russell.

Ruth would strike out every time.  Fireball throwers were hitting what? 80? He swung a tree trunk at that.  He would strike out every single time.
  • Options
    The quality of player is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better in every sport.

As for Ruth getting struck out?  Not so sure.  They through junk ball spitters back in the day and still had some fireball throwers.  Hand eye is still there.

Curry then.. Curry would win 21-0 and KD would beat BIll Russell.

Ruth would strike out every time.  Fireball throwers were hitting what? 80? He swung a tree trunk at that.  He would strike out every single time.
    I would argue that Johnson threw better than 80.  I threw 70 in warmups...

Curry and Cousy would actually be fun to watch.  Best shooters of their generation.  I can't argue that Curry wouldn't win.  It was a diff game back then.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited September 2019
    The major difference with Ruth is.  He would be studied and pitchers would keep the ball in zone(s) and throw pitches where he was less likely to drive the ball.  Also pitch around him when mathematically expedient to do so.  

In his day, they really didnt use relievers much either.  Guys would throw until their arms fell off
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    The major difference with Ruth is.  He would be studied and pitchers would keep the ball in zone(s) and throw pitches where he was less likely to drive the ball.  Also pitch around him when mathematically expedient to do so.  

In his day, they really didnt use relievers much either.  Guys would throw until their arms fell off
    Never thought about that?

He did change the game of baseball though.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

He is the best player ever (contradicting myself here a bit, but taking generational changes out of it).  He was hitting more home runs than teams had combined.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

He is the best player ever (contradicting myself here a bit, but taking generational changes out of it).  He was hitting more home runs than teams had combined.
    True but I never thought about the angle of seeing the same pitcher 3 or 4 times.

I still stand behind that he would learn and eventually hit off todays pitcher.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    go the other way.

What would happen if you took Mike Trout and transplanted him to 1920?  Or even Cameron Maybin?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Yes, he certainly did, and players deserve the accolades for what they accomplished during their respective eras.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    go the other way.

What would happen if you took Mike Trout and transplanted him to 1920?
    He would hit .900 most of which are home runs or inside the park home runs 
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    No.

college hoops has been for years though.  Which is a good thing since it's unwatchable
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    go the other way.

Parks were bigger though.  Imagine him playing the Polo grounds?

Can we talk Hockey dying?

Ever since they changed rules and dump the puck EVERY play the goal scoring or "sniping" is gone.  Will anyone ever get 50 goals in 50 games again or 70+ goals?

I find hockey to be difficult to watch unless it's playoffs and then at least in the later rounds the competition is good.

I will pay $25 for lower bowl tix to see the Isles though.  Can't pass that up.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    In hockey, again, everyone is so efficient and polished, the net affect is a negative.  I also suspect that millionaires who arent really that vested in a team and city arent selling themselves out every game in an 82 game schedule.

As I mentioned with goalies too.  They take up soo much space in the net now and are spreadsheets on cutting angles and making themselves bigger.  

Players are overall way bigger, faster, and more efficient.  Equipment is bigger, but the playing surface remains the same (with an added referee). Games are bogged down, and like I mentioned, they are just an exercise in waiting for the other team to make a mistake and get out of 'position'. zzzzzzzzz.   You also have lost a lot of physical play and fighting with the concussion knowledge and litigation.  These things would keep fans at the edge of their seats, even in a 4-0 game.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    go the other way.

Ever since they changed rules and dump the puck EVERY play the goal scoring or "sniping" is gone.  Will anyone ever get 50 goals in 50 games again or 70+ goals?

I find hockey to be difficult to watch unless it's playoffs and then at least in the later rounds the competition is good.

Which is why I mentioned inside the park jobs!

I don't watch much hockey outside of playoffs anymore.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    In hockey, again, everyone is so efficient and polished, the net affect is a negative.  I also suspect that millionaires who arent really that vested in a team and city arent selling themselves out every game in an 82 game schedule.

As I mentioned with goalies too.  They take up soo much space in the net now and are spreadsheets on cutting angles and making themselves bigger.  

Players are overall way bigger, faster, and more efficient.  Equipment is bigger, but the playing surface remains the same (with an added referee). Games are bogged down, and like I mentioned, they are just an exercise in waiting for the other team to make a mistake and get out of 'position'. zzzzzzzzz.
    Is that why they just dump the puck?

No good one timer passes?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    go the other way.

Which is why I mentioned inside the park jobs!

I don't watch much hockey outside of playoffs anymore.
    With todays metrics and stats they'd make Trout take a double rather than exert himself too much in running an inside the park homer, lol!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

Bob Cousey. Ha. 
    I was thinking the OP posing this question was in his 40’s not 80’s. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    MayDay10 said:
    There are so many more quality athletes out there.  Exponential.  Think about the number of countries that have quality development programs, the amount of humans on earth, the training and nutritional knowledge applied to athletes.  It is unheard of, even from just 25 years ago.

Fundamentally, just as good/better, but the fundamentals have changed.  A goaltender used to need to be agile and ultra-reactive.  Nowadays, they are a spreadsheet.  They need to be agile, but they know exactly where to be to make themselves the biggest/leave as little of an opening as possible based on where the puck is.  They memorize tendencies of the shooters.  Maximize the size of the equipment.  Being a gargantuan is also an trait that teams draft for.  Its not real exciting to watch, it clogs the game down, but it is effective.  

The only thing that may be watered down is quarterback play in the NFL.  But that seems to have been the case for a long time.
    I think it's just a case of the secondary being so much better. Quarterbacks have to place the ball into tiny gaps in the coverage. Very few receivers tend to blow big holes in the secondary like they used to.
  • Options
    Yeah, thats a good point.  Imagine bart starr trying to beat a calculated thoroughbred like stephon gilmore or pat Peterson 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    MayDay10 said:
    Yeah, thats a good point.  Imagine bart starr trying to beat a calculated thoroughbred like stephon gilmore or pat Peterson 
    Now imagine Dan Marino? I’m guessing the OP grew up in the 80’s or 90’s as opposed to the 60’s...

Marino would have numbers out of this world in today’s NFL
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Bob Cousey. Ha. 
    I was thinking the OP posing this question was in his 40’s not 80’s. 

I have never heard of Bob Cousey. Yes, I’ll be 41 in a couple month. 

A lot of great points were made here. Such as the perfection effect and the whole everyone is their own brand. It gets old. No more team loyalty or team to town loyalty. So many broken things. Replays, making a sport a science. The wonder is gone. 

Well done by all. Way better than my unarticulated ramblings. 

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    MayDay10 said:
    Now imagine Dan Marino? I’m guessing the OP grew up in the 80’s or 90’s as opposed to the 60’s...

Marino would get over 60 TD's?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Back to the original question. It’s a weird state, people seem to know more about sports with the internet and fantasy leagues, but attendance and viewership does seem down. The World Series seemed as big as the super bowl when I was growing up, now you can go to the grocery store on game 7 and half the people don’t even know the World Series is on.
    I think sports has become too overblown. I don’t care if you’re the best pitcher in the world, we pay them way too much. And that college football coaches are the highest paid public employees on our country is a joke to me. Athletes and coaches could still make a killing getting paid 1/10 what they currently do. 
  • Options
    cutz said:
    MayDay10 said:

Marino would get over 60 TD's?
    Wouldn’t put it past him to average 50 and 5,000 yards
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    mace1229 said:
    Back to the original question. It’s a weird state, people seem to know more about sports with the internet and fantasy leagues, but attendance and viewership does seem down. The World Series seemed as big as the super bowl when I was growing up, now you can go to the grocery store on game 7 and half the people don’t even know the World Series is on.
    I think sports has become too overblown. I don’t care if you’re the best pitcher in the world, we pay them way too much. And that college football coaches are the highest paid public employees on our country is a joke to me. Athletes and coaches could still make a killing getting paid 1/10 what they currently do. 
    Baseball is a Regional sport now.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    More than 3 million more people watched the Thursday night nfl kickoff than watched the last episode of game of thrones. Nfl doing more than fine
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    I think if sports haven't gone on the decline already (my guess is they have) they probably will in the not-to-distant future because the number of kids participating in team sports is on the decline (easily verified by various articles on line).  If the big money that is in sports want to keep it's revenue flowing, they will have to start catering to the tastes of the public.  And those tastes are leaning more an more toward things that are brutal and violent (also easily verified).  That means that some of the scenarios depicted in futuristic movies may prove to not be so far fetched in the future.  Here are some example with synopses take from IMDB:

ROLLERBALL:
    In a corporate-controlled future, an ultra-violent sport known as Rollerball represents the world, and one of its powerful athletes is out to defy those who want him out of the game.

THE BLOOD OF HEROES:
    In a future, where most of mankind and technology is wiped out, 6 people travel from place to place playing a brutal form of football with a dog skull. They hope one day to play in the league in a city.

THE 10TH VICTIM:
    Some people like violence so much, that they decide to create a club in which human hunts are organized - members being alternately hunters, and prey, until they end up dead.

DEATH RACE:
    Ex-con Jensen Ames is forced by the warden of a notorious prison to compete in our post-industrial world's most popular sport: a car race in which inmates must brutalize and kill one another on the road to victory.

DEATH RACE 2000:
    In a dystopian future, a cross country automobile race requires contestants to run down innocent pedestrians to gain points that are tallied based on each kill's brutality.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Let’s talk about the abortion that is the NFL. First week. A tie game. Great ending right. Except for everyone who paid top dollar for opening day tickets and both teams walk out with a consultation prize. For the amount these players and teams and all involved with the organization make, the very least you can do is have a winner. A tie. Fuck you NFL. 

AB. Cries his way outta Pittsburgh, fucks around on the Raiders. Cries. Gets released and gets a 9 million (15 million with incentives) pay day for not doing shit but being a spoiled bitch. Fuck you AB. 

How about after every play some asshole has to dance or run forward to show they did the job the are paid to do. Every fucking play. Offense and Defense. It gets old. Fuck you and your brand, players. 

As as long as the marketing and the hype machine is going strong, the NFL will continue to have ratings. The game is watered down, people come out with career ending injuries and permanent brain and other body damage. But I’m the good ol USA, if you don’t like football you must be a communist. Well paint me red, cause fuck the NFL. 

I know for someone who doesn’t care about sports I sure know what’s going on. Blame it on a treadmill and either ESPN or CNN or Fux Newz while the new Tool blasts in my headphones. Gotta burn off the pounds. Good thing my disgust of all 3 channels fuels the rage to power through the workout. 

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Let’s talk about the abortion that is the NFL. First week. A tie game. Great ending right. Except for everyone who paid top dollar for opening day tickets and both teams walk out with a consultation prize. For the amount these players and teams and all involved with the organization make, the very least you can do is have a winner. A tie. Fuck you NFL. 

AB. Cries his way outta Pittsburgh, fucks around on the Raiders. Cries. Gets released and gets a 9 million (15 million with incentives) pay day for not doing shit but being a spoiled bitch. Fuck you AB. 

How about after every play some asshole has to dance or run forward to show they did the job the are paid to do. Every fucking play. Offense and Defense. It gets old. Fuck you and your brand, players. 

As as long as the marketing and the hype machine is going strong, the NFL will continue to have ratings. The game is watered down, people come out with career ending injuries and permanent brain and other body damage. But I’m the good ol USA, if you don’t like football you must be a communist. Well paint me red, cause fuck the NFL. 

I know for someone who doesn’t care about sports I sure know what’s going on. Blame it on a treadmill and either ESPN or CNN or Fux Newz while the new Tool blasts in my headphones. Gotta burn off the pounds. Good thing my disgust of all 3 channels fuels the rage to power through the workout. 

I was thoroughly entertained today. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    MayDay10 said:

And yet you would want his team to run the ball  fifty percent of the time 👌