2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    The thing about the ballparks - particularly Fenway and Wrigley - is that they are in demand. A lot of bands want those paydays and there are only so many slots in the MLB calendar for concerts. Pearl Jam can't just decide to play these places every year or every other year. The venues need to want them over whoever else.
    In Wrigley’s case, they do want them over anyone else. Ed is tight with the whole organization. I suspect he gets first dibs. 
    That those DJ's were so certain did make me wonder if the band and Wrigley signed a multiyear agreement. 2016, 2018, 2020...something like that. Big paydays that are already planned for next year might add a little more sense to the decision not to play at all this year. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    I went to one of the Fenway shows in 2016. It was fun. Anymore baseball stadium shows at this point are the band milking fans for money by playing places with terrible sight lines and sound so they can cram in another 20000. These amphitheaters were built for a reason. 
  • JimmyV said:
    The thing about the ballparks - particularly Fenway and Wrigley - is that they are in demand. A lot of bands want those paydays and there are only so many slots in the MLB calendar for concerts. Pearl Jam can't just decide to play these places every year or every other year. The venues need to want them over whoever else.

Fair points, but few factors to coinsider: Theo, Existing Red Sox relationship, and 5 of the top 10 fastest sellouts in Wrigley history.  I think PJ has 1st right of refusal every year for Chicago and Boston
    wbutler29 said:
    JimmyV said:

Fair points, but few factors to coinsider: Theo, Existing Red Sox relationship, and 5 of the top 10 fastest sellouts in Wrigley history.  I think PJ has 1st right of refusal every year for Chicago and Boston
    Certainly possible.

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Just be nice if they did ball parks in other areas of the country. Do something different. Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, Atlanta.  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    Just be nice if they did ball parks in other areas of the country. Do something different. Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, Atlanta.  
    Camden Yards might be nice but random ballparks around the country is when the ballpark thing would jump the shark for me. 

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Stadiums, arenas, amphitheaters, etc.....Doesn't matter to me.  Just bring on the tour!  and album
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    kaw753 said:
    I went to one of the Fenway shows in 2016. It was fun. Anymore baseball stadium shows at this point are the band milking fans for money by playing places with terrible sight lines and sound so they can cram in another 20000. These amphitheaters were built for a reason. 
    Sitelines can definitely be an issue.  I was at Fenway night 2 in 2016, it was as good as I have heard pearl jams sound, night 2 in 2018 did sound a little wonky and washed out, 2016 I was A5(?) and 2018 was B7(?) further off to the left on the infield.  Sound can bounce funny in spots. Some venues sound great, others acoustics are just awful.  Fenway's to me were really good, but I can see where it can be a struggle.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Get rid of the ballpark shows and play Gorge, Red Rocks, Alpine instead.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    all the people wanting no more ballpark shows are forgetting how hard it can be to get tickets for this band in smaller venues. believe me, I don't want ballpark shows either, but if it's the only way I get to see them, so be it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• all the people wanting no more ballpark shows are forgetting how hard it can be to get tickets for this band in smaller venues. believe me, I don't want ballpark shows either, but if it's the only way I get to see them, so be it. 
    I would rather just not see them. Not enough upside. 

...unless it’s Comerica. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    JimmyV said:
    Camden Yards might be nice but random ballparks around the country is when the ballpark thing would jump the shark for me. 
    Besides Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium and maybe Philly and LA, do you really think this band could fill out stadiums in other MLB cities? I know we in the 10 Club are nuts and willing to travel to multiple shows, but a stadium would hold 40-60,000 fans versus an arena or amphitheater that is closer to 20k. If they only played a handful of gigs this year? Yes, those would sell out stadiums. But playing 20 shows in North America...fans can be more selective with traveling, and I don't see 40,000 in Cleveland and then in Pittsburgh a few days later. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    all the people wanting no more ballpark shows are forgetting how hard it can be to get tickets for this band in smaller venues. believe me, I don't want ballpark shows either, but if it's the only way I get to see them, so be it. 
    I would rather just not see them. Not enough upside. 

...unless it’s Comerica. 
    if they played IG Field here in Winnipeg (capacity without field seats is 33K), I'd go. I saw U2 at our old stadium and it was good. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    hihobibo said:
    JimmyV said:
    Besides Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium and maybe Philly and LA, do you really think this band could fill out stadiums in other MLB cities? I know we in the 10 Club are nuts and willing to travel to multiple shows, but a stadium would hold 40-60,000 fans versus an arena or amphitheater that is closer to 20k. If they only played a handful of gigs this year? Yes, those would sell out stadiums. But playing 20 shows in North America...fans can be more selective with traveling, and I don't see 40,000 in Cleveland and then in Pittsburgh a few days later. 
    Me either. California only having 2 ballpark shows would probably sellout. Rogers Centre in Toronto may sell out both nights if there are no shows close by though that is not a sure thing. It would still sell a ton though. 

hihobibo said:
    JimmyV said:
    It's a fair point. 

• Dimi -- should we be spending all this time debating ballpark shows vs arena shows?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    I think the band knows that most fans prefer steak (arenas) butwill settle for hamburger (ballparks) if that’s the only thing on the menu.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    100% agree.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    hihobibo said:
    JimmyV said:
    Yes.  did you see Green Day's tour they just announced?  any of those cities you don't think PJ sells? maybe Texas but even that I think they would do ok.

that being said yes bring them back indoors.
  • JE107307JE107307 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 8
    kaw753 said:
    I agree with this, the Fenway show was fun for me, but sight and sound do not come close to an indoor arena experience.
    September 28, 1996, Downing Stadium, Randall's Island, New York
    September 29, 1996, Downing Stadium, Randall's Island, New York
    June 14, 1998 Tibetan Freedom Concert, RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C.
    August 28, 1998, Camden, New Jersey; Blockbuster Music Ent. Center
    August 29, 1998, Camden, New Jersey; Blockbuster Music Ent. Center
    September 1, 2000, E-Centre; Camden, NJ
    September 2, 2000, E-Centre; Camden, NJ
    April 28, 2003 - First Union Spectrum Arena; Philadelphia, PA
    May 3, 2003 - Bryce-Jordan Center; State College, PA
    June 29, 2003 - Bell Center; Montreal, Que., Canada
    July 5, 2003 - Tweeter Center; Camden, New Jersey
    October 1, 2004 - Vote for Change Tour, Sovereign Center; Reading, PA
    2006-05-28 Camden New Jersey Tweeter Center at the Waterfront
    Oct 03, 2005 Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA
    Oct 27, 2009 Wachovia Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, PA
    September 2, 2012 MADE IN AMERICA FESTIVAL Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 21, 2013 - Wells Fargo Center Philadelphia, PA
    April 28, 2016 - Wells Fargo Center Philadelphia, PA
    September 2, 2018 - Fenway Park Boston, MA

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    hihobibo said:
    JimmyV said:
    I doubt they would play Cleveland and Pittsburgh, it would be one or the other.  Similar, I don't think they would play Baltimore and Philly, one or the other. I think it would be pretty spread out.  Atlanta might be the only show in southeast. Miami only Florida show. Texas may get two, But I could see it only being Houston. Etc.  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Dimi -- should we be spending all this time debating ballpark shows vs arena shows?
     have your fun guys..i dont post anything..not giving to  alternativenation something to use by quote me from here again 
    the only thing i have to say about the whole,be happy to what u get when u get it...be thankfull the band is still playing shows..
    australia wait 6 years now,asia 16years,south africa never saw them live ..etc..if they tour in your country,state or u can travel,go see the show..
    shows to whatever venue,is better than no shows at all.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Dimi -- should we be spending all this time debating ballpark shows vs arena shows?
     have your fun guys..i dont post anything..not giving to  alternativenation something to use by quote me from here again 
    the only thing i have to say about the whole,be happy to what u get when u get it...be thankfull the band is still playing shows..
    australia wait 6 years now,asia 16years,south africa never saw them live ..etc..if they tour in your country,state or u can travel,go see the show..
    shows to whatever venue,is better than no shows at all.
    Exactly 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    If properly promoted, Houston and Dallas ballparks would EASILY sell out.  Don't underestimate the Texas Jamily. 
    People used to seriously argue on here that Pearl Jam couldn't sell out Fenway. A tour like Green Day and Weezer just announced might prove challenging, but Green Day and Weezer are likely to find that out, too. 

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited September 2019
    JimmyV said:
    People used to seriously argue on here that Pearl Jam couldn't sell out Fenway. A tour like Green Day and Weezer just announced might prove challenging, but Green Day and Weezer are likely to find that out, too. 
    It seems like promoters have started going to one venue bigger for bands than they used to.  Not just arena/stadium bands, but younger bands I thought should play a theater go ballroom.  Billie Eilish sold out 2 nights at the Aragon this year (I would've expected her to play a theater) so they moved her to one show at United Center.  Crazy.
    Come on @dimitrispearljam, don't go dark on us because of that ****er :(
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • kdiddykdiddy Posts: 733
    edited September 2019
    JojoRice said:
    Stadiums, arenas, amphitheaters, etc.....Doesn't matter to me.  Just bring on the tour!  and album

Post edited by kdiddy on
  • We’ve to wait one more month to have others info. It’s not a long time, especially if you compare it to a 2019 of no hints at all :)
  • Btw, am i the only ones reading australia,asia and south africa??  :)) would be great a gig in south africa!!!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    to me, ballpark shows =/= no shows at all.  If there is one driving distance and on an optimal date (which i doubt will happen), I might go.  Its not worth precious vacation resources and money.  

I understand the economic$ behind it and the band's apparent lack of desire to schedule a lot of dates and travel.  But it is just not for me.  I get like 20% of the typical enjoyment out of these ballpark shows and I end up getting stressed out more (crowds, lines, etc).  Im sure the shows will probably do fine without me and others who have ballpark fatigue... but in my opinion, if this is the norm, it is a poor chapter in this band's history/legacy.  

I also have never been shut out of a PJ show, whether it is 10c sale, public sale, fellow fans, or secondary market.  10c tix are easier to obtain for ballpark shows, but I would take 95% of public sale tickets for an arena show over a great number of 10c tickets for these ballpark shows.