Eating Less Meat Helps Protect the Planet From Climate Change

12346»

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Every time science runs amok, I remember the Terminator movies and I know it's coming...

:O :O :O

Falling down,...not staying down
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    IT'S IN YO NAY-TCHA TO DESTROY YOURSELVES. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Nice Ah-nold impression. :)

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    I, for one, do not appreciate this mocking of a great man and how he speaks, just because he happened to be born born in Austria and not in the US (Where Skynet was developed by the way, and who launched its nuclear warheads towards Russia starting Judgement Day to begin with. Just so you know).

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The OP of this thread has no problem insulting meat-eaters.  They have done that on many occasions here.  And why do vegans need to tell people they are vegan?  I do not go around advertising I like meat.  My guess vegans who need to tell people they are vegans are just trying to come across as better than others...
    Why should I have a problem insulting "meat-eaters"? You choose to support the slaughter of other living beings when you're out for lunch instead of picking the vegetarian/vegan option and with that not supporting that slaughter. The lack of empathy is apparent enough to warrant insult. It's disgusting.

And who are these vegans you are talking about that "need to tell people they are vegan"? Or is this just a stereotype you have built up in your angry little head?

(by the way, vegans are better than you in regards to this topic. Whether they tell you they are vegan or not <3 )
    You desire an alliance but are only going to make enemies with that approach.
    I, for one, do not appreciate this mocking of a great man and how he speaks, just because he happened to be born born in Austria and not in the US (Where Skynet was developed by the way, and who launched its nuclear warheads towards Russia starting Judgement Day to begin with. Just so you know).

Any discussion of Arnold's accent is done with affection and not mocking. He's a part of our culture no matter where he was born. 

I, for one, welcome our new Austrian overlord. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    Kat said:

Any discussion of Arnold's accent is done with affection and not mocking. He's a part of our culture no matter where he was born. 

He should be your President.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517

Kat said:
    Every time science runs amok, I remember the Terminator movies and I know it's coming...

:O :O :O

As we type mechanical impulses into digital and transmit them via light and display them on a Pearl Jam forum for all to see and be moderated.....
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    This might sound stupid and I apologize. But I god damn love meat. I can’t stand poultry, fish is great but expensive and full of bad shit from pollution. And veggies while good and good for you I can not get satisfied on veggies alone. I was a vegetarian for 2 years and a vegan for 1 year but talk about getting tired of eating the same thing. I’m not trying to stir anyone’s pot here. I’m just being honest. The problem is not eating meat. I know some will argue that it’s cruel and wrong and that’s their opinion so be it. But the problem is sustainability. The problem is we have infested the earth. There are far too many people on the planet. So nothing we do is going to work because of too many factors involved. So I will be honest. While a veggie and vegan lifestyle might be somewhat better, I’m going to continue to eat meat and enjoy the shit out of it. Wanna make a difference? Quit having more than one or two kids. More mouths to feed and drink aren’t going to help anything. The world is become more and more desert landscaped. Ice caps are melting. The world is on fire. And people think not eating a delicious burger saves the day. But then again, the more people who choose to go vegan and vegetarian, all the power to them. Just not me. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    If the human population of this planet were at reasonable numbers instead of the hugely over-inflated 7.7 billion (and rapidly growing) stats we're at now, this subject would receive much less attention.  I respect those who are vegan for their humanitarian reasons, but I support moving toward a more vegetarian diet for one very practical reason:  7.7 billion people eating as much meat as we in developed nations do is not sustainable.  Not even!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    brianlux said:
    If the human population of this planet were at reasonable numbers instead of the hugely over-inflated 7.7 billion (and rapidly growing) stats we're at now, this subject would receive much less attention.  I respect those who are vegan for their humanitarian reasons, but I support moving toward a more vegetarian diet for one very practical reason:  7.7 billion people eating as much meat as we in developed nations do is not sustainable.  Not even!
    the last human being on earth is the only one that will run out of meat...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    And here all along I fell for all that media hype about how all those poor third world people had nothing to eat.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    And here all along I fell for all that media hype about how all those poor third world people had nothing to eat.
    well they are rather stringy...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    well they are rather stringy...
    OK, fine.  Just no Donner Party jokes, OK?  :wink:

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Poor people have trouble getting proper food because they are poor.  There is more than enough food in the world to feed each and every one of us...I live in Southern Ontario and we have greenhouse's popping up all the time.  They are food products and some grow Cannabis.  They basically grow 365 days a year, and they are popping up everywhere...until you eliminate greed nothing will change.

And people have to eat.  So I do not give a rats ass if us eating is harming the planet.  Nothing will change. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    And that plant-based meat...where the evidence that it is that much better.  It is processed food in a manufacturing facility.  Those buildings are massive and require a lot of people to bring fake meat to the stores.  Lots of resources and lots of people using lots of resources.

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited September 2019
    If these guys get convicted, then, in my opinion, they are war criminals.  What has happened to many war criminals?  W is also a war criminal as well...put him on trial.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    This might sound stupid and I apologize. But I god damn love meat. I can’t stand poultry, fish is great but expensive and full of bad shit from pollution. And veggies while good and good for you I can not get satisfied on veggies alone. I was a vegetarian for 2 years and a vegan for 1 year but talk about getting tired of eating the same thing. I’m not trying to stir anyone’s pot here. I’m just being honest. The problem is not eating meat. I know some will argue that it’s cruel and wrong and that’s their opinion so be it. But the problem is sustainability. The problem is we have infested the earth. There are far too many people on the planet. So nothing we do is going to work because of too many factors involved. So I will be honest. While a veggie and vegan lifestyle might be somewhat better, I’m going to continue to eat meat and enjoy the shit out of it. Wanna make a difference? Quit having more than one or two kids. More mouths to feed and drink aren’t going to help anything. The world is become more and more desert landscaped. Ice caps are melting. The world is on fire. And people think not eating a delicious burger saves the day. But then again, the more people who choose to go vegan and vegetarian, all the power to them. Just not me. 
    I have no problem with your reasons for sticking with meat, but I hate how you're trying to justify your position.

Your mentioned problem is sustainability. You've identified two sources of problems with sustainability: eating too much meat, and having too many people. To be clear, those are two ways the planet can degrade with human participation. Just because you aren't participating in having more kids more than you already have (which has a neutral at best effect depending on your current family's carbon output), doesn't offset the negative effect of your continued meat consumption. If you choose to just participate in meat consumption when you know carbon output could be less - you are denying yourself an opportunity to help the planet. I want to be clear: I'm in the identical boat as you, but I find it extremely selfish to try to sell your theory that consumption should be continued because you're only making the world worse in one way instead of two.

The world is overpopulated with humans today (not tomorrow). We are already at the problem-sized population, so if you say that we should ignore meat challenges because overpopulation is too massive, then we need to act fast. Who would you suggest we execute first to meet the (literal) deadline (as in the elderly who have had good long lives, infants who don't know the life they'd lose, or middle-aged folks who can leave while things are great), and how many more should we execute as a buffer to accommodate meat-eaters? Also, how should we disperse the killings globally, should it be proportional to problem creation per country? How about per age? How about per carbon emissions - actually should my and your odds of execution be increased because we both eat meat?

I know these questions are semi-sarcastic, but they're only partially in jest. Desperate times will call for desperate measures, and we are approaching desperate times. Humans have done plenty deplorable things in times of need, and will do so again at an unprecedented scale when confronted with extinction.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I finally got a decent explanation of why vegans won't eat eggs or dairy on Facebook...it was pretty ridiculous.
    A whole bunch of anthropomorphising animals and blathering about chicken consent.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Poor people have trouble getting proper food because they are poor.  There is more than enough food in the world to feed each and every one of us...I live in Southern Ontario and we have greenhouse's popping up all the time.  They are food products and some grow Cannabis.  They basically grow 365 days a year, and they are popping up everywhere...until you eliminate greed nothing will change.

And people have to eat.  So I do not give a rats ass if us eating is harming the planet.  Nothing will change. 
    Of course people need to eat, not doubt about it and no argument there.  But, as you know and have stated yourself, the planet is overpopulated with humans.  Humans are literally chewing up the planet.  Earth Overshoot Day refers directly to that.  So if, as you say, nothing will change, then we are eating ourselves into a collective grave.  Sorry you don't give a rats ass about that.  Do you have kids or extended family kids who will go through the horrors before us?  Do you not care that this will also wipe out other species who have an equal right to live on this earth? 

rgambs said:
    I finally got a decent explanation of why vegans won't eat eggs or dairy on Facebook...it was pretty ridiculous.
    A whole bunch of anthropomorphising animals and blathering about chicken consent.
    chicken consent?

meat eater: why did the chicken cross the road?
    vegan: none of your damn business! he can do what he wants without your carnivorous judgment! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    chicken consent?

meat eater: why did the chicken cross the road?
    vegan: none of your damn business! he can do what he wants without your carnivorous judgment! 
    :lol:

Question to ponder:  Is Eggs Ackley always steaming mad because non-vegans eat eggs or because vegans tell people not to? 

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    rgambs said: