Options

Eating Less Meat Helps Protect the Planet From Climate Change

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    I was talking to a co worker about this, telling him i have always considered going meatless, for the environment and also ethical reasons. he mentioned that, unfortunately it’s not as a simple as eating less meat as the media makes it out to be. 
    • Without cows we’d lose our grass lands. Unfortunately we killed all our other grazing animals (bison, buffalo) 
    • Agriculture as a whole removes more and more soil every year (we only have 60 years of top soil left) and we need grazing animals to help replenish

thoughts?

This would assume responsible cattle production, not feedlot production, which I believe is the vast majority of beef cattle. The volume of beef eaten now could not be sustained by grazing grasslands. 

Every action has an impact on the environment, but some actions have less of an impact. It's very difficult to truthfully argue that major meat production has less of an impact than non-meat production. 
    yes, I don't know much of anything about this, so I'm trying to gather information. when I mentioned to him my reasons for considering stopping meat consumption, he did say the only way to really continue eating meat sustainably is to eat only meat from holistic regenerative  farmers. I don't even know what that is. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2019
    I was talking to a co worker about this, telling him i have always considered going meatless, for the environment and also ethical reasons. he mentioned that, unfortunately it’s not as a simple as eating less meat as the media makes it out to be. 
    • Without cows we’d lose our grass lands. Unfortunately we killed all our other grazing animals (bison, buffalo) 
    • Agriculture as a whole removes more and more soil every year (we only have 60 years of top soil left) and we need grazing animals to help replenish

thoughts?

This would assume responsible cattle production, not feedlot production, which I believe is the vast majority of beef cattle. The volume of beef eaten now could not be sustained by grazing grasslands. 

Every action has an impact on the environment, but some actions have less of an impact. It's very difficult to truthfully argue that major meat production has less of an impact than non-meat production. 
    There are good and bad practices in both realms.  Most types of farming (non-meat production) takes water, land, minerals, and destroys the habitats of many native animals to varying extents.   In fact, the dust bowl was due to gross over farming (non-meat).  I think the answer lies with more regulations to force the world to utilize the least harmful types of farming/ranching instead of trying to get everyone on board with a non-meat diet.  There are responsible and irresponsible producers in both realms and I believe corporate farms/ranches are the ones responsible for poor practices and need harsher regulations.
    To say “all meat eaters are wrong and all vegans are right” is just wrong.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I often think about the impact of 7 billion people relying on plants alone for sustenance.  Such a massive shift is very hard to quantify, and I have deep suspicions about the unintended consequences that would arise. 
    It is a fact, however, that less meat consumption would be better for the planet itself, our species, and every other species on the planet.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    PJPOWER said:
    Call me when you find a great “beyond” version of this:

Stop it.  The grown ups are trying to have a conversation here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

I respect what you are trying to do Brian, but every thread where a “grown up” conversation is happening gets derailed by the creator of this thread...so kindly get off my ass or ignore me if I irritate you that much.  Maybe if I grilled a pork chop for every gif or meme SC posts, making him directly responsible for more meat eating?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,841
    rgambs said:
    I often think about the impact of 7 billion people relying on plants alone for sustenance.  Such a massive shift is very hard to quantify, and I have deep suspicions about the unintended consequences that would arise. 
    It is a fact, however, that less meat consumption would be better for the planet itself, our species, and every other species on the planet.
    Billions of people in the world already live on a completely or almost completely plant based diet. Yes, there will be impacts if we make this massive shift, but would they be worse than the impacts we already have from increasing meat production around the world? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

I respect what you are trying to do Brian, but every thread where a “grown up” conversation is happening gets derailed by the creator of this thread...so kindly get off my ass or ignore me if I irritate you that much.  Maybe if I grilled a pork chop for every gif or meme SC posts...
    You don't irritate me- I don't take this kind of thing that seriously.  And both you guys do the same bullshit, so yeah, it goes both ways.  This place becomes a joke when these kids of petty quarrels going on and on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

I respect what you are trying to do Brian, but every thread where a “grown up” conversation is happening gets derailed by the creator of this thread...so kindly get off my ass or ignore me if I irritate you that much.  Maybe if I grilled a pork chop for every gif or meme SC posts...
    You don't irritate me- I don't take this kind of thing that seriously.  And both you guys do the same bullshit, so yeah, it goes both ways.  This place becomes a joke when these kids of petty quarrels going on and on.
    Well, I do agree that this place became a joke a long time ago and it really is hard to take things seriously here anymore, but it is a decent waste of time when you need it.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

Well, I do agree that this place became a joke a long time ago and it really is hard to take things seriously here anymore, but it is a decent waste of time when you need it.
    LOL, can't argue that.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    Billions of people in the world already live on a completely or almost completely plant based diet. Yes, there will be impacts if we make this massive shift, but would they be worse than the impacts we already have from increasing meat production around the world? 
    I would be surprised if it was really billions.

No, I don't really think the impacts would be worse, but I do think its entirely possible that they could be.  It's worth finding out, for sure.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

No, I don't really think the impacts would be worse, but I do think its entirely possible that they could be.  It's worth finding out, for sure.
    I tried to look up what percentage of the world's population is vegetarian and got between 25% and 31% which, if so, would be between 1.9 and 2.39 billion people, so probably at least a couple billion.  That doesn't surprise me, all things considered.

rgambs said:
    I would think those impacts would be for the good rather than detrimental.  Animal production would have to change over to plant crops, but that could be done gradually and the jobs would last longer.  With 7.7 billion people on the planet, meat production can't do on forever with those numbers. 

If the world had a reasonable number of humans- the ideal being something like 1.5 to 2 billion- eating meat would not be nearly as big an impact on the planet.  We're headed toward 10 billion by around 2050 which is not that far off.  And of course there is no way that many people can eat meat.  But that many people will cause a who litany of problems.

• Options
    my parents' 50th anniversary is today. we were looking at one of those "in 1969" type of pictures, and the population of the earth just 50 years ago was a staggeringly much lower 3.61 billion. LESS THAN HALF what it is today. that's insane. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my parents' 50th anniversary is today. we were looking at one of those "in 1969" type of pictures, and the population of the earth just 50 years ago was a staggeringly much lower 3.61 billion. LESS THAN HALF what it is today. that's insane. 
    It is crazy, for sure.  Living to see the strain on the planet those numbers have added is mentally painful.  I've never learned to deal well with that.  Someone should take me out to pasture and shoot me.  :lol:

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,119
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

Hahahaha more “both sides” crap. 

Its all 1 poster. Every time. And yet Kay finds the time to earn me for way less crap. I have no sympathy for that poster nor anyone that defends his crap.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

How many Hindus, Jains, and Buddhists are in the world?

Not to mention those who are vegetarian by choice, rather than cultural expectations. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

Its all 1 poster. Every time. And yet Kay finds the time to earn me for way less crap. I have no sympathy for that poster nor anyone that defends his crap.
    You don't think posting pictures of steaks on every vegetarian/vegan thread isn't perpetuating the bullshit?   And who the hell is "Kay"?  :lol:

Hahaha back at ya, pal!  :wink:

FOOD FIGHT!

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

You don't think posting pictures of steaks on every vegetarian/vegan thread isn't perpetuating the bullshit?   And who the hell is "Kay"?  :lol:

FOOD FIGHT!

Who exactly has done that?  I threatened to today and did in this one thread as a response to the bullshit, but have not done that as of yet on “all vegan/vegetarian” threads.  It is tempting, though.
  • Options
    I guess I was thinking of vegan more than vegetarian, I but I'm in the wrong thread.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I guess I was thinking of vegan more than vegetarian, I but I'm in the wrong thread.
    Aren’t we all? 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,119
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

FOOD FIGHT!

Apparently my iPhone changes lots is words on me ;)

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    you've convinced me. I will now look for the 12 oz steak instead of the 16oz or more when at a restaurant. Same goes for the grocers....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mickeyrat said:
    you've convinced me. I will now look for the 12 oz steak instead of the 16oz or more when at a restaurant. Same goes for the grocers....

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Another way to reduce your meat consumption is to use these instead of your regular silverware:

• Options
    We are 7 out of 10 days no meat!  Woot!
    That's our best run so far.  It's a little difficult, if I'm being honest.  
    And also, as I mentioned before, I am skeptical about the amount of vegetation involved and the planetary impact.
    I think that comes from my gardening.  It takes so much effort to raise plants up by hand and the thought of growing enough to live on is staggering.  The sheer number of beans it would take to sustain decent protein levels...
    I guess what bothers me is that your typical stereotypically smug vegan who judges people for not knowing the true story behind their meat has no fucking clue how much work goes into their produce, and how many fucking thousands of acres of beans they eat lol
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    The OP of this thread has no problem insulting meat-eaters.  They have done that on many occasions here.  And why do vegans need to tell people they are vegan?  I do not go around advertising I like meat.  My guess vegans who need to tell people they are vegans are just trying to come across as better than others...
    Why should I have a problem insulting "meat-eaters"? You choose to support the slaughter of other living beings when you're out for lunch instead of picking the vegetarian/vegan option and with that not supporting that slaughter. The lack of empathy is apparent enough to warrant insult. It's disgusting.

And who are these vegans you are talking about that "need to tell people they are vegan"? Or is this just a stereotype you have built up in your angry little head?

(by the way, vegans are better than you in regards to this topic. Whether they tell you they are vegan or not <3 )
    You are the poster child for how not to promote a meatless lifestyle. Congrats. BTW, I had 2 racks of ribs in the smoker Sunday for 6 hours. They were fantastic. I don't believe I could have had the same level of satisfaction chewing on kale. But keep it up. Your compelling post above almost had me convinced that your way is the righteous way.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    so do vegans think that other carnivorous/omnivorous animals are assholes?

plants actually feel sensations too. we don't know if they feel pain. but we don't know that they don't.

so maybe vegans should switch to an all-tofu diet until then. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

plants actually feel sensations too. we don't know if they feel pain. but we don't know that they don't.

"Let the rabbits wear glasses!"
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532

:D
  • Options

Tofu is made from soy beans and believe me, soy beans are very radical.  Have you never seen those "Soy Beans of the World, Unite!" placards?

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    brianlux said:

Tofu is made from soy beans and believe me, soy beans are very radical.  Have you never seen those "Soy Beans of the World, Unite!" placards?
    and the scale required means asn awful lot of wild animals get killed during harvest
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14