Are Professional Sports Slowly Dying?

pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
edited August 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
I couldn’t think of better title. 

I was a die hard sports fan as a kid. Loved and followed the three major US sports (MLB,NFL,NBA) Had subscriptions to Sports Illustrated and Sporting News and read them religiously. Now with all the drama that surrounds sports with off the field/court problems, contract holdouts, ridiculous contracts, CTE, super teams, no player/ team loyalty, teams leaving cities and just the hype machine that is professional sports and the horrible media coverage that surrounds it. (Yes, ESPN, I’m talking to you. There are more teams in sports than those on the east coast) I just don’t care anymore. I see people with team tattoos and their homes and or cars splattered with team logos and jerseys and I really feel for these people. I know sports are a fun escape but to cry and live and die by your teams win loss record just kills me. 

Attendance is down, TV viewership is down, the Super Bowl commercials suck now. Is this the death rattle for pro sports or is there a chance that’s it just me. 

I would love to hear from all sports and non sports fans. Thanks for reading. 
Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
Post edited by pearljammr78 on

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    What u smoking?

go away? Yea owners just gonna let billions sit on a table

haha
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited August 2019
    I don't think they are going away, but they are changing and evolving in several respects

society is changing, people want things faster, instant gratification. Thus the call for the speeding up of games (pitch clocks, less timeouts, different O.T rules)
    People are consuming sports on so many different platforms now. For myself, I probably know more weird stats now due to fantasy sports leagues than from just watching and following. 
    Sports are also very regional. Trout may be the greatest current player but all I ever hear about him is that you rarely get to see him.
    There are no longer any real "America's" team as the Cowboys once were. In Canada people get behind the Jays and Raptors because that is all we have. But I am a Twins fan just because they are much closer and I am sure it is like that for various fans as we are very spread out (and not everything revolves around Toronto ha ha) Hockey loyalty is a completely different story
    You are correct with no team loyalty by the players rarely anymore, and I think the super teams are ridiculous also
    In some sports now I admire players but wouldn't say I was a die hard fan of a particular team
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    CROJAM95 said:
    What u smoking?

go away? Yea owners just gonna let billions sit on a table

haha
    Good weed. 

I mean the desire and care of the fans. The owners will sell you poop in a team sponsored cup and call it team pops. It seems like besides the die hard few. Less and less people care anymore. 
    erebus said:
    I don't think they are going away, but they are changing and evolving in several respects

society is changing, people want things faster, instant gratification. Thus the call for the speeding up of games (pitch clocks, less timeouts, different O.T rules)
    People are consuming sports on so many different platforms now. For myself, I probably know more weird stats now due to fantasy sports leagues than from just watching and following. 
    Sports are also very regional. Trout may be the greatest current player but all I ever hear about him is that you rarely get to see him.
    There are no longer any real "America's" team as the Cowboys once were. In Canada people get behind the Jays and Raptors because that is all we have. But I am a Twins fan just because they are much closer and I am sure it is like that for various fans as we are very spread out (and not everything revolves around Toronto ha ha) Hockey loyalty is a completely different story
    You are correct with no team loyalty by the players rarely anymore, and I think the super teams are ridiculous also
    In some sports now I admire players but wouldn't say I was a die hard fan of a particular team
    I loved playing fantasy. But never consumed me. But yes made sports more interesting and fun. 
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    I was a huge sports nut growing up too.  I even wanted to be a columnist until halfway through college.  Maybe it’s the fact the media coverage is so diluted and you can”t just watch sports center anymore to get caught up on highlights.  It’s all debate platforms now and they are all terrible.  Plus, it’s so damn expensive to buy a ticket to a game or buy merchandise that there’s more value to staying home and watching than going in person.  I still cling to my favorite teams, but am not a casual fan as much as I used to be.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    Andrew Luck-29 years old. Retires due to mental fatigue and football doesn’t let him live the life he wants. It sure let him become a multi millionaire and retire at 29. The job I have, I’ve been at for 10 years and still need about 29 more just to retire. Not letting me live my life I want either. Fuck you Andrew Luck. You spoiled piece of Shit. Good thing you don’t live in the real world. Fuck sports. Spoiled athletes. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Andrew Luck-29 years old. Retires due to mental fatigue and football doesn’t let him live the life he wants. It sure let him become a multi millionaire and retire at 29. The job I have, I’ve been at for 10 years and still need about 29 more just to retire. Not letting me live my life I want either. Fuck you Andrew Luck. You spoiled piece of Shit. Good thing you don’t live in the real world. Fuck sports. Spoiled athletes. 
    Well the difference there is that you aren't one of the best QBs in the world.....it turns out that it's a pretty high paying position.  The guy can do whatever the fuck he wants.  All the hot takes about Luck have been laughable.  
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Well the difference there is that you aren't one of the best QBs in the world.....it turns out that it's a pretty high paying position.  The guy can do whatever the fuck he wants.  All the hot takes about Luck have been laughable.  

Nobody is saying he can't do whatever he wants.  We can all have our opinions on what he does.  

He apparently can do whatever he wants. Being happy about it? Not one bit. Jealous. Your damn right. But this is part of my argument with pro sports. Spoiled assholes who don’t realize how great they have it. He’s 29 years old and football is too mentally draining? Try barely making it or even making it as a middle class American by having two incomes. No money for travel and no time because you work and your partner works full time just to make it. And you have no options at 29 or 50 to retire. Yes I am jealous. But this is also why I don’t care for sports any longer. It’s a fucking game. And people live like it’s life or death. 
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Meh, you can choose to buy into whatever you like .... Sports, politics, religion....

nobody is forcing anyone to watch , do what is best for oneself

some people support the Kardashians, Trump, whatever, different strokes for different folks, you get what you get

Barry Sanders and Megatron both retired in their primes
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    It's a sign you're getting older and become more cynical about something that just used to provide pure popcorn fun. There aren't any more money hungry a-holes or jerks than there were in the 70's and 80's. I think there are actually even more active players involved in community and charity work. The sports industry is doing just fine. Professional sports franchises are worth more than ever, player salaries keep increasing and the NCAA is the biggest monoply of them all; raking in billions a year.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    This might be the dumbest thread title and opinion ever put on the internet. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    He apparently can do whatever he wants. Being happy about it? Not one bit. Jealous. Your damn right. But this is part of my argument with pro sports. Spoiled assholes who don’t realize how great they have it. He’s 29 years old and football is too mentally draining? Try barely making it or even making it as a middle class American by having two incomes. No money for travel and no time because you work and your partner works full time just to make it. And you have no options at 29 or 50 to retire. Yes I am jealous. But this is also why I don’t care for sports any longer. It’s a fucking game. And people live like it’s life or death. 
    I believe the injuries and always being in pain is what is mentally draining.  He is not being selfish.  Fans who expect him to play when it's obvious the pain is just too much for him the fans who expect him to play are selfish.  Football is a very physically demanding game.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    pjhawks said:
    Thanks for reminding me I asked what you thought. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:
    Thanks for reminding me I asked what you thought. 
    Glad to help
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I don’t think Luck retiring is selfish. He’s one tough mf’er who took a beating for years behind a non existent o line. I respect his decision. I’m sure it isn't easy to walk away from the game you love, but when you’re battling injuries year in and year out, I can certainly understand his decision. However, I do find it selfish that he couldn’t announce his retirement 3 hours earlier, before I drafted TY Hilton in round 3. 
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    bbiggs said:
    I don’t think Luck retiring is selfish. He’s one tough mf’er who took a beating for years behind a non existent o line. I respect his decision. I’m sure it isn't easy to walk away from the game you love, but when you’re battling injuries year in and year out, I can certainly understand his decision. However, I do find it selfish that he couldn’t announce his retirement 3 hours earlier, before I drafted TY Hilton in round 3. 
    Ouch. So glad my draft is next Saturday. I consider Mack, Hilton as flex plays now. Ebron and Doyle gonna drop big time I’d imagine. I would of stayed away from these players regardless, just from the whispers we’ve heard about Lucks health and possibly missing time. IDK 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Hi! said:
    bbiggs said:
    Ouch. So glad my draft is next Saturday. I consider Mack, Hilton as flex plays now. Ebron and Doyle gonna drop big time I’d imagine. I would of stayed away from these players regardless, just from the whispers we’ve heard about Lucks health and possibly missing time. IDK 
    Yeah I knew there was slight risk but at pick 36 I could have lived with Luck potentially missing a game, even though they kept saying he was unlikely to miss time. Oh well. You’re right though. Downgrade that entire offense big time. 
    bbiggs said:
    Hi! said:
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah I knew there was slight risk but at pick 36 I could have lived with Luck potentially missing a game, even though they kept saying he was unlikely to miss time. Oh well. You’re right though. Downgrade that entire offense big time. 
    Thant’s a tough one too. Hilton goes from a WR1 to flex in my opinion and it’s not like you can just drop him. I’d probably look at picking up Emmanuel Sanders or Josh Gordon off the wire if still available. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Good for him ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I believe the injuries and always being in pain is what is mentally draining.  He is not being selfish.  Fans who expect him to play when it's obvious the pain is just too much for him the fans who expect him to play are selfish.  Football is a very physically demanding game.
    I completely understand when someone retires early from the pain and/or injuries. Or even when someone retires early from the NFL to prevent permanent damage to themselves. Luck said, I am retiring because I don’t want to have to get mentally ready for the season. He said that he wants to live his life and can’t do that cause of football. He signed a contract. If the team was going to void his contract the players union would be up in arms. It takes all my power to get out of bed and go do my job 5-6 days a week all year long. Year after year but I have no option. Bills have to be paid. Mouths need to be fed. To accept this because a guy can throw a ball well is ridiculous. I’m glad the Colts fans booed him and I wish ESPN would be calling him out on his BS. 

I completely agree that college athletes get screwed big time. IMO all college athletes that make the team or squad regardless the sport should have full free ride scholarships and a stipend of pay. As long as grades stay above a minimum and no off field problems. The stipend should be the same for all student athletes to help with food, other stuff. But that would never happen. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited August 2019

I was working today.  On a Sunday.  I was down, I admit.  A beautiful day outside.  But then, I remembered and said to myself,  "Damnit bootlegger, there are people around the globe stretching their ankles at this very moment.  Don't you ever feel like you have it bad because there is always someone out there in worse condition.  For SHAME, bootlegger.  For shame."

Two weeks ago I was feeling pretty good about a job I finished at work.  I was feeling like a hero.  I accomplished so much.  But then I said to myself, "bootlegger, you are not a hero.  There are people out there this very moment stretching their ankles.  Even the higher parts of their ankles.  And for what?   $10M dollars?  The ankle stretchers are the real heroes. For SHAME, bootlegger.  For shame." 

I am hard on myself.  I should talk to someone about being more positive to myself. 

Literally 30 seconds after this post I said to myself, "Bootlegger, you think you are too hard on yourself?  There are people out there being told by their employer paid doctors to stretch...their....ankles.  Some both, some just one ankle.  Regardless, to think that you being hard on yourself even equates to some person that pays you $10M asking you to stretch your ankle is shameful.  For SHAME bootlegger.  For shame." 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on

After seeing this I wondered if his retirement might actually be more detrimental to his health.

Hi! said:

After seeing this I wondered if his retirement might actually be more detrimental to his health.

Maybe that’s why he retires. The juice is loose
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    I completely understand when someone retires early from the pain and/or injuries. Or even when someone retires early from the NFL to prevent permanent damage to themselves. Luck said, I am retiring because I don’t want to have to get mentally ready for the season. He said that he wants to live his life and can’t do that cause of football. He signed a contract. If the team was going to void his contract the players union would be up in arms. It takes all my power to get out of bed and go do my job 5-6 days a week all year long. Year after year but I have no option. Bills have to be paid. Mouths need to be fed. To accept this because a guy can throw a ball well is ridiculous. I’m glad the Colts fans booed him and I wish ESPN would be calling him out on his BS. 

I completely agree that college athletes get screwed big time. IMO all college athletes that make the team or squad regardless the sport should have full free ride scholarships and a stipend of pay. As long as grades stay above a minimum and no off field problems. The stipend should be the same for all student athletes to help with food, other stuff. But that would never happen. 
    They do(or did) get stipends. at least at D1 schools they do, not sure about lower levels. Knew a couple of people that played football in the SEC over the years and they got stipends. One of the guys went to Vanderbilt and was from Nashville. He would have his mom cook him and his buddies dinners sometimes and they'd keep their money and go to Tunica and gamble with it.

I would like to see players get paid somehow. Alabama and Clemson sell Tua and Lawrence jerseys (without their name on the back) and the school and NCAA get that money, but the players get nothing. Maybe hold that money in like an escrow account or something that they'll get if they graduate or meet certain GPA requirements or something. Something will change in the next few years, just need to get rid of Emmert from NCAA.

As far as pro sports, I do feel it's on the verge of being in a crossroads. It's not going to fold or anything like that, but the NBA TV viewing numbers went down this year. Mainly that was because LeBron is on the west coast and east coast people are not gonna stay up to watch a game that late. The league is faced with a crises as it seems to revolve around one player. Overall league attendance was down also.

the NFL was up in viewers, but declined quite a bit in ticket sales for games. Overall, game attendance was down  for all major sports. There's several reasons for all of this, but mainly because it's easier and more comfortable to watch games in your house or in a bar with friends. I have both Tennessee Titans and Nashville Predators season tickets. The Titans have been a mediocre at best team in the last decade and have raised ticket prices like 6 times. They didn't even make the playoffs this past year, but raised ticket prices by about 10%. The Predators have been one of the better teams in the NHL over the last couple of years, and they've raised ticket prices each year. I'm locked into no more than a 3% increase in per game prices, but that's a 9% raise over those years. 

Sports is very popular, but it's being consumed differently now. I love being at the game and feeling the joy(or disappointment in the Titans case lol) of the crowd as I'm there. But with prices increasing, the average fan is being priced out of the arena. I'm contemplating getting rid of one set of my tickets if they keep raising the prices. It sucks cause I enjoy going and have great seats, but I know lots of people who feel the same way. And with players holding out more and/or getting injured more frequently, especially in the NFL, the product doesn't seem to be the same as it was even 10-15 years ago. 

Pro sports isn't going anywhere, but I wonder what the leagues will do if ticket sales continue to decline. I would think the ad revenue would be able to make up for it, but haven't taken the time to look up those numbers
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    One can only hope!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    One can only hope!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    ponytd said:

They do(or did) get stipends. at least at D1 schools they do, not sure about lower levels. Knew a couple of people that played football in the SEC over the years and they got stipends. One of the guys went to Vanderbilt and was from Nashville. He would have his mom cook him and his buddies dinners sometimes and they'd keep their money and go to Tunica and gamble with it.

I would like to see players get paid somehow. Alabama and Clemson sell Tua and Lawrence jerseys (without their name on the back) and the school and NCAA get that money, but the players get nothing. Maybe hold that money in like an escrow account or something that they'll get if they graduate or meet certain GPA requirements or something. Something will change in the next few years, just need to get rid of Emmert from NCAA.

As far as pro sports, I do feel it's on the verge of being in a crossroads. It's not going to fold or anything like that, but the NBA TV viewing numbers went down this year. Mainly that was because LeBron is on the west coast and east coast people are not gonna stay up to watch a game that late. The league is faced with a crises as it seems to revolve around one player. Overall league attendance was down also.

the NFL was up in viewers, but declined quite a bit in ticket sales for games. Overall, game attendance was down  for all major sports. There's several reasons for all of this, but mainly because it's easier and more comfortable to watch games in your house or in a bar with friends. I have both Tennessee Titans and Nashville Predators season tickets. The Titans have been a mediocre at best team in the last decade and have raised ticket prices like 6 times. They didn't even make the playoffs this past year, but raised ticket prices by about 10%. The Predators have been one of the better teams in the NHL over the last couple of years, and they've raised ticket prices each year. I'm locked into no more than a 3% increase in per game prices, but that's a 9% raise over those years. 

Sports is very popular, but it's being consumed differently now. I love being at the game and feeling the joy(or disappointment in the Titans case lol) of the crowd as I'm there. But with prices increasing, the average fan is being priced out of the arena. I'm contemplating getting rid of one set of my tickets if they keep raising the prices. It sucks cause I enjoy going and have great seats, but I know lots of people who feel the same way. And with players holding out more and/or getting injured more frequently, especially in the NFL, the product doesn't seem to be the same as it was even 10-15 years ago. 

Pro sports isn't going anywhere, but I wonder what the leagues will do if ticket sales continue to decline. I would think the ad revenue would be able to make up for it, but haven't taken the time to look up those numbers
    Very well said. Yea, I think they are here to stay but changes are coming. Hopefully for the better. One thing about the games besides the crazy prices for everything is the drunk ass douche bags that can’t keep their shit together. Last game I went to was a Oregon vs. Cal game in Santa Clara. The majority of the fans were fall down drunk and sloppy before the game even started and inside the stadium I think the only word I heard was Fuck this and fucking that. I’m no saint but I do respect those with kids and families. I was glad we hadn’t brought my daughter. It was chaos. 

That being said. Wish Mariota would have been magic for the Titans. The kid is a class act and my wife even has a Titans Mariota jersey shirt she wears on Sundays.  Even though we don’t even watch football anymore. Gotta support a good Duck. 🦆 
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    A Boston area sports fan here since 1970. Sports there has been on a 20 year high and for me I've been a bit bored with it all lately. The one thing that has kept my interest is the many many years titles were non existent there.

Today we have so many other things that garners our attention in this age of the internet. At the same time we now have a rearrangement in sports betting that's bringing in people that see this rise as a way to make money. Some of these folks ordinarily may have a disinterest in sports.

We now also have sports team in and coming to the betting paradise called Las Vegas. BTW I love that Vegas hockey team pre game show and jersey.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

I am a Sox fan! Root for the Pats when they play anyone in the Super Bowl cause Brady is the GOAT. My team is moving to Vegas from Oakland, no city loyalty. Fuck the Raiders. 

Pornhub>sports.