Eating Less Meat Helps Protect the Planet From Climate Change

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    myoung321 said:
    The new generation of plant based "Meats" are game changers... The Beyond Burger is damn good!
    First, my apologies for a little personal rant here.  Mostly I think this is great and a hopeful meat substitute but not for me because yet again, it contains yeast extract which I cannot eat.    What's amazing is that so many things have yeast in them besides bread:

Almost all canned soup.  Check out the labels.  It's VERY hard to find canned soup without yeast in it.
    Canned re-fried beans.  Same as above.  I looked high and low and finally found one with no yeast.
    Bean burgers.  Home-made, of course, are fine.  But to have on hand for a quick meal- no way!  I have never found one without yeast.
    An amazing number of crackers contain yeast.
    Almost all vegetarian, chicken and beef bullion have yeast added.
    Most prepared humus, dips, gravies, many condiments, etc. contain yeast.

I could bore you for an hour listing all the things with yeast in them.  I have to read labels like a detective.  Things you would not at all expect contain yeast.  It's weird!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    The OP of this thread has no problem insulting meat-eaters.  They have done that on many occasions here.  And why do vegans need to tell people they are vegan?  I do not go around advertising I like meat.  My guess vegans who need to tell people they are vegans are just trying to come across as better than others...
    Why should I have a problem insulting "meat-eaters"? You choose to support the slaughter of other living beings when you're out for lunch instead of picking the vegetarian/vegan option and with that not supporting that slaughter. The lack of empathy is apparent enough to warrant insult. It's disgusting.

And who are these vegans you are talking about that "need to tell people they are vegan"? Or is this just a stereotype you have built up in your angry little head?

(by the way, vegans are better than you in regards to this topic. Whether they tell you they are vegan or not <3 )
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    The OP of this thread has no problem insulting meat-eaters.  They have done that on many occasions here.  And why do vegans need to tell people they are vegan?  I do not go around advertising I like meat.  My guess vegans who need to tell people they are vegans are just trying to come across as better than others...
    Why should I have a problem insulting "meat-eaters"? You choose to support the slaughter of other living beings when you're out for lunch instead of picking the vegetarian/vegan option and with that not supporting that slaughter. The lack of empathy is apparent enough to warrant insult. It's disgusting.

And who are these vegans you are talking about that "need to tell people they are vegan"? Or is this just a stereotype you have built up in your angry little head?

(by the way, vegans are better than you in regards to this topic. Whether they tell you they are vegan or not <3 )
    I criticized meat eaters for posting snarky remarks on threads about vegan/vegetarian.  Now we jump to the other extreme and you come on with force admittedly insulting a meat eater.  Is that how you attempt to convince someone to go vegan?  I don't think so.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:

I criticized meat eaters for posting snarky remarks on threads about vegan/vegetarian.  Now we jump to the other extreme and you come on with force admittedly insulting a meat eater.  Is that how you attempt to convince someone to go vegan?  I don't think so.
    It’s how he does everything. Always right, everyone else is not only wrong but mentally deficient.  

Next comes the meme. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

It’s how he does everything. Always right, everyone else is not only wrong but mentally deficient.  

Next comes the meme. 
    Which is a bummer because it detracts from topics worthy of discussion and eventually Kat comes on and tells us to talk about the topic, not each other-- which is probably going to happen in about 5...4...3...2...

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    myoung321 said:
    The new generation of plant based "Meats" are game changers... The Beyond Burger is damn good!
    https://livingmaxwell.com/gmo-impossible-burger-glyphosate?fbclid=IwAR16tjQ_r6fMFgqnOgl24GnwJ5QvDdusEa7vXLHRREyA9ROz6qC7AQGjT7I

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    1 thing...the price of meat here in Canada has to be forcing people to eat less meat.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mickeyrat said:
    myoung321 said:
    https://livingmaxwell.com/gmo-impossible-burger-glyphosate?fbclid=IwAR16tjQ_r6fMFgqnOgl24GnwJ5QvDdusEa7vXLHRREyA9ROz6qC7AQGjT7I

Glyphosate, an herbicide, found in this stuff?  No thanks. 

Besides, what is the point of laboratory food?  What are the long-term effects?  What problems does this solve in the long run?

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Next comes the meme. 
    That is where the ignore feature comes in handy...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I love Bobs Burgers 🍔 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    1 thing...the price of meat here in Canada has to be forcing people to eat less meat.
    Have you compared the price of vegetables on a protein basis?
    I am very fitness-oriented and very conscious of my protein intake, and it would cost me a fortune, almost double, to get the same level of protein without meat.  

We do meatless meals 2-3 times a week and we are trying to take it another step forward, but it's tough.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

I'll tell you why you should have a problem insulting "meat-eaters": it's because when you were presented the choice of productively helping someone come around to your way of thinking, instead you chose the non-productive route of insulting their chosen (and until maybe five years ago, never under attack) way of life. 

You should have a problem insulting "meat-eaters" because, as a proclaimed progressive, you should know that you could've done more to help climate change, and you failed at that because you wanted too desperately to be arrogant and insulting to drop the act and care about your cause. It does align with the troll behaviour (and, of course, your birthplace since you like to bring that one up).

I'm going to spend my day hanging out with two vegans who inspire me to make shifts towards veganism - as opposed to yourself, who inspires me to make no shifts (at best). Remember - when you could've done more, and people brought it to your attention, oh principled one, you took the low road. Have a great day.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited August 2019
    I know many fat vegans who eat like shit but it’s not meat man. Anyone who has to flaunt their choices in life has very low self esteem and wants constant conformation that they have made the right choice. Is being vegan better for the planet. Yes. So is not driving a car. Using no plastic. Etc. some of us don’t have the luxury to make these things happen due to lack of money and/or time. We can all make little steps to be better for the earth without throwing it in others faces. 

Side note. I just found out some trolls are vegan. The more you know!!

Post edited by pearljammr78 on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    No way I could be vegan, I would miss cheese too much.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mcgruff10 said:
    My brother's a realistic vegan and will treat himself every now and then to something he misses. Cheese (which was once a favourite with as much passion as what you're describing) isn't even on that list for him anymore. I know he's not making it up because there are other things I can hand him that he absolutely will cheat with, no questions asked. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    I like cutting the cheese. 💨
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My brother's a realistic vegan and will treat himself every now and then to something he misses. Cheese (which was once a favourite with as much passion as what you're describing) isn't even on that list for him anymore. I know he's not making it up because there are other things I can hand him that he absolutely will cheat with, no questions asked. 
    I never understood why cheese is on the vegan no no list since the animal isn't being killed.  
    Just like eggs. Not all eggs are chicken babies. And eggs are delicious. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I never understood why cheese is on the vegan no no list since the animal isn't being killed.  
    Conventional dairy farming is horrifically rife with abuse and abhorrent conditions.
    Where they lose me is when they won't eat ethically and sustainably sourced eggs and dairy.
    Seems foolish to me.
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Conventional dairy farming is horrifically rife with abuse and abhorrent conditions.
    Where they lose me is when they won't eat ethically and sustainably sourced eggs and dairy.
    Seems foolish to me.
    Agreed.  Seafood seems silly too.  I just don't see eating fish and lobster as "murder".
    Just like eggs. Not all eggs are chicken babies. And eggs are delicious. 
    The egg industry is also very disgusting, abusive, and corrosive to the planet.
    But, again, there are sustainable and ethical options out there.
    I understand not wanting to purchase them and include in your regular diet, but the vegans in the family refusing them at family functions galls me.
    I shouldn't take it personally, and mostly I don't, but there's no solid rationale behind it so it does bother me.  My eggs are clean, fresh, ethical, and sustainable, refusing them makes no sense.
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Seems foolish to me.
    Agreed.  Seafood seems silly too.  I just don't see eating fish and lobster as "murder".
    I agree too about eating ethically and sustainably sourced eggs and dairy.  But seafood is off my list permanently.  I don't get into a rant and berate people who eat seafood (as we've seen, that kind of behavior does not help change a person's mind!) but for my own conscience, I can't do it.  Reason being, we've over-fished the oceans to the point of wiping out some species and critically endangering others, farm fishing has serious drawbacks (I know some here disagree strongly with me on this but I'm not convinced it's OK), and most fish contains toxins from all the pollution we dump into the ocean- especially shellfish which are particularly toxic.  So for me, it's a life-time ban on all seafood other than a little sea vegetables once in a long while.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    benjs said:

I'll tell you why you should have a problem insulting "meat-eaters": it's because when you were presented the choice of productively helping someone come around to your way of thinking, instead you chose the non-productive route of insulting their chosen (and until maybe five years ago, never under attack) way of life. 

You should have a problem insulting "meat-eaters" because, as a proclaimed progressive, you should know that you could've done more to help climate change, and you failed at that because you wanted too desperately to be arrogant and insulting to drop the act and care about your cause. It does align with the troll behaviour (and, of course, your birthplace since you like to bring that one up).

I'm going to spend my day hanging out with two vegans who inspire me to make shifts towards veganism - as opposed to yourself, who inspires me to make no shifts (at best). Remember - when you could've done more, and people brought it to your attention, oh principled one, you took the low road. Have a great day.
    "Keep your dignity; take the high road; take it like a man."   From Momma Sed ;)

Bravo.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Seems foolish to me.
    "it's ok to eat fish, cause they,
    don't have any feeeeelings"

-kurt cobain
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Seems foolish to me.
    "it's ok to eat fish, cause they,
    don't have any feeeeelings"

-kurt cobain
    Something in the way......
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Call me when you find a great “beyond” version of this:

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I was talking to a co worker about this, telling him i have always considered going meatless, for the environment and also ethical reasons. he mentioned that, unfortunately it’s not as a simple as eating less meat as the media makes it out to be. 
    • Without cows we’d lose our grass lands. Unfortunately we killed all our other grazing animals (bison, buffalo) 
    • Agriculture as a whole removes more and more soil every year (we only have 60 years of top soil left) and we need grazing animals to help replenish

thoughts?

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I was talking to a co worker about this, telling him i have always considered going meatless, for the environment and also ethical reasons. he mentioned that, unfortunately it’s not as a simple as eating less meat as the media makes it out to be. 
    • Without cows we’d lose our grass lands. Unfortunately we killed all our other grazing animals (bison, buffalo) 
    • Agriculture as a whole removes more and more soil every year (we only have 60 years of top soil left) and we need grazing animals to help replenish

thoughts?

Around here, the farmers and ranchers have a symbiotic relationship.  During the winter, cattle graze on the byproducts from the farms and fertilize the ground for next year’s crop.  In that respect, I agree with what your friend says.  Also, lots of grassland that gets overgrown and creates a fire danger if livestock doesn’t graze it...
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

Classic.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

thoughts?

This would assume responsible cattle production, not feedlot production, which I believe is the vast majority of beef cattle. The volume of beef eaten now could not be sustained by grazing grasslands. 

Every action has an impact on the environment, but some actions have less of an impact. It's very difficult to truthfully argue that major meat production has less of an impact than non-meat production. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf