Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    @brianlux do you know what type of moth this is?

It's pretty!

Moths have filamentous or feathered antenna whereas butterflies generally have clubbed antenna. This one appears to have clubbed antenna so I believe it's a butterfly.   I'm not all that well versed on moths and butterflies but looking at my National Audubon Field Guide to N.A. Butterflies my best guess is it's some kind of skipper- possibly a Long Dash Skipper.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

From my walk earlier this evening.  An ant encrusted orange slice.  
    Dip it in chocolate and you've got yourself a tasty little treat!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    brianlux said:

It's pretty!

Moths have filamentous or feathered antenna whereas butterflies generally have clubbed antenna. This one appears to have clubbed antenna so I believe it's a butterfly.   I'm not all that well versed on moths and butterflies but looking at my National Audubon Field Guide to N.A. Butterflies my best guess is it's some kind of skipper- possibly a Long Dash Skipper.

Thanks for that information Brian. It is really pretty.  It’s the first one I’ve seen in this area.

brianlux said:

Yummy and healthy (sorta)!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    brianlux said:

It's pretty!

Thanks for that information Brian. It is really pretty.  It’s the first one I’ve seen in this area.

Sure thing!  :smile:
    brianlux said:

Personally, I think chocolate covered ants are over-rated.  :lol:

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

It's pretty!

brianlux said:

Grasshoppers are tastier. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

It's pretty!

brianlux said:

Grasshoppers are tastier. 
    That is so true!  Way back in 8th grade, a friend of mine returned from vacation and had brought home with him some deep fried, salted grasshoppers.  They were whole, cooked, shiny grasshoppers.  He dared me to eat one.  Well, I hate dares but even worse, I hate backing down from a dare so I grabbed one, closed my eyes, popped it in my mouth and cheeeewed.  Much to my surprise, I suddenly noticed the most tantalizing flavors on my tongue.  This blew my mind.  They were the best tasting snack food I'd ever had.  I practically begged the guy for more!

I agree with both of you, grasshoppers really are delicious.  Ants are a lot of work for little payoff.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Spotted this little guy, or gal on some plants in the planter boxes I added to our new deck last summer. It was a great addition. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    I agree with both of you, grasshoppers really are delicious.  Ants are a lot of work for little payoff.
    LOL. 

I actually remember when Cost Plus (what is it called now- World Market?) used to sell chocolate covered ants.  I never took that plunge, haha!

Spotted this little guy, or gal on some plants in the planter boxes I added to our new deck last summer. It was a great addition. 
    Beautiful. 
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Cool looking butterfly just flew in the shop, I was able to get it back outside with out hurting it and it flew away. I just put my finger next to it and it crawled on.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

^^^. It’s beautiful!  So glad it got outside safely.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    my sunflower and a bee
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited August 2019
    some better ones. The cabbage white was ok. Just on its back somehow  . Flew away.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Those are beautiful Rob.  I especially love the sunflower-bee ones.
    I was so happy to see the home grown flowers do what they are meant to.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

some better ones. The cabbage white was ok. Just on its back somehow  . Flew away.
    Beautiful!

I was so happy to see the home grown flowers do what they are meant to.
    Me too!  I was inspired by your bee shots and today managed to photograph one in my yard enjoying the fuchsias.

Bee carrying pollen 

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

This is has got to be the first time I’ve ever seen a frog not on the ground. This little guy is climbing up a gutter at the shop right now.Almost makes me wonder if it’s not natural to this area. Probably is though.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

I found a toad.  Quite rare. He lives in my greenhouse. I let him reside rent free
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    After a gym workout one morning arrived home about to turn into my driveway when i saw something out of the corner of my eye. Then took a good look and standing in the middle of my 400 ft driveway was a Florida panther staring right at me.

I was frozen in shock I guess that a wild animal that could hurt me or the children. After staring a bit more she turned and scampered off in between the Cypress hammock and the shed. I didn't move for several minutes trying figure out if what I saw was real. Worse I had my cell phone in my fricking hands and it didn't dawn on me to take a picture. Dooah!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:
    After a gym workout one morning arrived home about to turn into my driveway when i saw something out of the corner of my eye. Then took a good look and standing in the middle of my 400 ft driveway was a Florida panther staring right at me.

I was frozen in shock I guess that a wild animal that could hurt me or the children. After staring a bit more she turned and scampered off in between the Cypress hammock and the shed. I didn't move for several minutes trying figure out if what I saw was real. Worse I had my cell phone in my fricking hands and it didn't dawn on me to take a picture. Dooah!

Peace
    That sounds amazing!  I hope she wasn’t injured and/or starving and that there was no immediate risk to children or pets in the area.   
    I found a toad.  Quite rare. He lives in my greenhouse. I let him reside rent free
    Toads are cool!  When I was a kid we had a toad that hung out in the garden.  It was a 3 legged toad and I called him "Toady".

Toads always remind me of toad of toad hall. 
    Wind  in the willows. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Got a rare photo op of a whiptail lizard and horned lizard sunning together:

PJPOWER said:

Nice! Lizards are so cool.  We mostly get common western fence lizards but I love 'em!  (So does the cat- sort of, she just kills them-  which is another reason we keep her indoors!)

PJPOWER said:

Cool!
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

Nice! Lizards are so cool.  We mostly get common western fence lizards but I love 'em!  (So does the cat- sort of, she just kills them-  which is another reason we keep her indoors!)
    We have a pretty good variety of them around here.  My faves are the collared lizards that run on two legs when startled, so fun to watch! 
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

We have a pretty good variety of them around here.  My faves are the collared lizards that run on two legs when startled, so fun to watch! 
    That would be cool to see!

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Not my home, but on a weekend trip to the NC mountains.