2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited August 2019
    on2legs said:
    PJNB said:
    You guys telling me you would prefer a show that is 25-28 songs long over a Denver 2014, Quebec 2016, Fenway 2 2016, Wrigley 2 2016, Rome 2018, Seattle 2 2018? Just naming a couple of long ones of the top of my head and I realize ballpark shows are not for everyone but we are talking setlist length here. 
    I wouldn’t mind a shorter set list if it meant we got back to more varied and less predictable sets.   A long show once in awhile is a treat but I don’t need every show to be like a final farewell performance with a bunch of covers jammed in.  Old school Pearl Jam sets - fast and furious - is fine with me. 
    The thing for me is always that the covers are unnecessary. Their catalog is deep enough to fill out a long show without them. One or two is fine but some nights they pepper both encores. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    I don't understand people actually wanting shorter setlist :confused:  
    I'll add that not only do I not mind them doing covers, I fucking love most of them.  I do agree they could do a little more mixing of the sets especially playing a lot of "the hits" every show but also understand thats what most people want.  We are the crazy weirdo fans on here that want to here all the deep cuts.  I think most casual fans would be pretty disappointed if 10+ songs were deeper cuts they didn't know.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I think that PJ and Bruce should keep going back and forth, trying to get the longest sets.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,874
    I'll take anything at this point!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    I'll add that not only do I not mind them doing covers, I fucking love most of them.  I do agree they could do a little more mixing of the sets especially playing a lot of "the hits" every show but also understand thats what most people want.  We are the crazy weirdo fans on here that want to here all the deep cuts.  I think most casual fans would be pretty disappointed if 10+ songs were deeper cuts they didn't know.
    Agreed on all points, from not wanting shorter setlists to us being crazy weirdo fans.

• brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    i just want a true atlanta show, non festival. only been since 2003.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited August 2019
    With the exception of baba I would be ok without covers..  there are ten albums plus how many b sides to choose from?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,874
    i just want a true atlanta show, non festival. only been since 2003.
    Makes 2 of us!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Make that 3
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    CopperTom said:
    Long is not a synonym for good.
    That’s not what my wife says.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Make that 3
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Make that 3
    And make sure the Braves are home too.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    100 Pacer said:
    CopperTom said:
    Long is not a synonym for good.
    That’s not what my wife says.

Fuck! I'm going to go ahead and leave this one alone. Maybe @dankind would like to chime in here? 🤣
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • play UNDONE pussies!!!!!
    play UNDONE pussies!!!!!
    Boston 2010 was the last time this gem was played. Going on a decade since then.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I've been calling BS on all those who said they'd skip any ballpark shows. They are so full of it. This does not apply to those that have to REALLY travel for said ballpark shows. Of course we would all love arenas, but....

I live in Seattle. I skipped the 2 in Seattle last year. I won't pay to see anyone, even Pearl Jam, play a ballpark or stadium. I've seen PJ in arenas, amphitheaters, a symphony hall (Benaroya), and a couple of times at The Showbox, so maybe I'm spoiled. Zero interest in ballparks.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,626
    jeffbr said:
    I've been calling BS on all those who said they'd skip any ballpark shows. They are so full of it. This does not apply to those that have to REALLY travel for said ballpark shows. Of course we would all love arenas, but....

I live in Seattle. I skipped the 2 in Seattle last year. I won't pay to see anyone, even Pearl Jam, play a ballpark or stadium. I've seen PJ in arenas, amphitheaters, a symphony hall (Benaroya), and a couple of times at The Showbox, so maybe I'm spoiled. Zero interest in ballparks.
    You missed a hell of a show then. Too bad the venue stopped you from going. 
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Yea. I’m not a fan at all of ballparks but I traveled from California for Seattle 2 last year and it was an epic show. But I was about 10 rows or so back on the floor. Plus Seattle is awesome so any excuse to go I will. Plus got to see the MoPop PJ exhibit after the show and that was awesome too. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I agree.    I like the longer setlists and I also like the covers.   If you're going to play 35 songs, there's room for covers.   Some of the covers are Pearl Jam staples.  Sonic Reducer, I've Got a Feeling, Masters of War, Baba O' Riley, Crazy Mary... they feel less like covers and more like PJ songs to me.  Many of which have studio recordings by PJ.   There's a few specific covers I've grown wary of (ahem RITFW), but I do enjoy most of them. 

I think the only issue I really have with Pearl Jam shows is only an issue when you go to multiple ones.   The things that they repeat night in, night out.  All the encores end with Porch and Rearviewmirror.   They're going to play DTE, Corduroy, extended Even Flow.    Most shows end with Yellow Ledbetter (which I love, but bums me out because the show is over).  If you only went to a show once and a while you'd never notice, but when you've seen a bunch over the years, those moments are less exciting.   I don't think they'd change this if they played short shows or long shows.  At least with long shows the other songs between the tentpole moments are more numerous and enjoyful :)

I do think PJ has a pretty die hard fan base.  Hence why they can play deep cuts in the first place.  Most bands play a deep cut and you can hear a pin drop (akin to playing a new song, before the album has dropped).   I think because of how many die hards there are, they can liberally play what they want.   I can't even remember the last time I randomly talked to some one before/after/at a PJ show and it was their first show.  Maybe if they brought their kid or something.. then it might be the kids first show.    Most of the time.. it's more what show # is this for you, and where are you from? :)
    2020 MLB schedule was released yesterday.  You can check ballpark availability now.
    Based on availability...
    Chicago July 10 & 12 ???
    Boston July 17 & 19 ???
    Seattle August 1 & 3 ???

gotta give time for set-up and tear-down.  And days of merch sales.
    CopperTom said:
    Based on availability...
    Chicago July 10 & 12 ???
    Boston July 17 & 19 ???
    Seattle August 1 & 3 ???

I like your way of thinking though I am hoping no ballpark shows next year. If they do it would be nice to mix it up so those cities can have arena shows again and places like Philly and NY can get the stadium treatment. 
  • jefftjefft Posts: 649
    CopperTom said:
    Based on availability...
    Chicago July 10 & 12 ???
    Boston July 17 & 19 ???
    Seattle August 1 & 3 ???

Nice I like it.  Guess I better start saving lol
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    CopperTom said:
    Based on availability...
    Chicago July 10 & 12 ???
    Boston July 17 & 19 ???
    Seattle August 1 & 3 ???

Schedule this year had Wrigley mostly concert-free, but 2020 definitely has pockets in August and July. 
    I'll be surprised if Fenway/Wrigley get played again soon.  

JimmyV said:
    I would be surprised if it doesn't myself. The 7 shows they did last year probably made them as much or more money than 14 arena shows. It is a no brainer financially imo for them and that is where they seem to be in their career right now. 
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    You have hit the nail on the head.  Why do 20 arena shows in 9 or 10 cities.  When you can do 6 baseball stadium shows in 2 cities. And fans will come from the 4 corners.  

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    I would be surprised if it doesn't myself. The 7 shows they did last year probably made them as much or more money than 14 arena shows. It is a no brainer financially imo for them and that is where they seem to be in their career right now. 
    Fair point. To me it feels like it's been done, but to them it might feel like the beginning of a perfect revenue stream. 

JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    Fair point. To me it feels like it's been done, but to them it might feel like the beginning of a perfect revenue stream. 
    Ya the shows sold out in seconds and they had unbelievable interest from us with the fanclub tickets. I can see them milking this dry unfortunately. That said though 2016 was great in the sense we had two shots to see them with the spring and summer. If they did it again like that I would be able to get to see more shows since the timeline is broken up. All speculation of course but hoping some rumours start to pop up in the fall like they did in 2017 for Fenway. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    At this point I’ll take any kind of shows if it means they’ll play the East Coast next year. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore