Living without money.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
What a concept!  If I were younger and not happily attached, I would definitely consider trying this.  My wife read the book, The Man Who Quit Money by Mark Sundeen which she passed on to me.  It tells the story of Daniel Suelo who left his life savings of $30 in a phone booth in 2000 and has live without money since.  It's an amazing story.  There are others who have and are doing the same.  Here are some of those people:
Daniel Suelo:

Mark Boyle, also know as "The Moneyless Man", Irish activist and founder of Freeconomy Community, has lived without money since 2008:

I love this concept.  Oh to me young again!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,879
    No thanks
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,701
    Into the wild
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    jwhjr17 said:
    No thanks
    I wouldn't want to do it permanently, even if I could, but at a n earlier age, I might have tried it for awhile.

And there's more to the story than just living without money.  The book about Suelo really gets me thinking about my relationship to money and things. I think it's a very healthy idea to be at least more aware of what money means, how we live, what we think we want and what we need.  And it's a damn good read!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Into the wild
    That book and McCandless' quest for a simpler life was also inspiring.  And another fine read too!

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Into the wild
    That book and McCandless' quest for a simpler life was also inspiring.  And another fine read too!
    I have actually read that Alaska Authorities said that book and the story of McCandliss have been more harmful than anything.  McCandliss was ill-prepared and had no real idea of how to live off-grid or off the land.  Every year Alaska has to do some rescue's along that trail and just a couple weeks ago a honeymooning couple from Europe had tragedy strike when the newlywed bride died crossing a fast-moving river and was swept away 1feet  downriver...

I wish the media would quit with the romance of living off the land.  Not much of society is equipped to live off the land...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2019
    I don't see how this would be possible without completely taking advantage of other people's money or what they buy with it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't see how this would be possible without completely taking advantage of other people's money or what they buy with it.
    She's back!
     :) 
    I could not live without money...but I've done a great job of creating an affordable living lifestyle...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    Into the wild
    I have actually read that Alaska Authorities said that book and the story of McCandliss have been more harmful than anything.  McCandliss was ill-prepared and had no real idea of how to live off-grid or off the land.  Every year Alaska has to do some rescue's along that trail and just a couple weeks ago a honeymooning couple from Europe had tragedy strike when the newlywed bride died crossing a fast-moving river and was swept away 1feet  downriver...

I wish the media would quit with the romance of living off the land.  Not much of society is equipped to live off the land...
    That's because many people don't read carefully.  If they did, they would not go ou into the wild unprepared.  Krakauer knows these things.  He makes it clear.   Some people just don't think critically or plan well.  That's not Krakauer's fault.   As for the romance of living off the land, that is also not Krakauer's invention.  What is made of his book is not his doing.

PJ_Soul said:
    That's a logical question to ask. Sundeen addresses that quite early in the book. One of things that is noted is that Suelo's carbon"footprint" is small. The average American's is about 20 tons per year. Suelo's is close to that of an Ethiopian's- about 200 pounds. Much of what he lives on is scavenged, so he actually reduces energy consumption by removing and using waste that would be hauled off to land fills. He accepts hospitality that is freely given but accepts no funds from government programs funded by taxes. He also works (one of the things he's done is to volunteer at a shelter for abused women and children), but accepts no payment and does not barter.

I would do it. I hate money  and since ive been ill ive lived off  of fuck all for years now. I love the idea. If only  the idea. I get you bri
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited August 2019
    I would do it. I hate money  and since ive been ill ive lived off  of fuck all for years now. I love the idea. If only  the idea. I get you bri
    Rob, you would love, love, love this book.  I've found it hugely inspiring and full of hope.  I totally get Elizabeth Gilbert's quote on the cover of the book:

"This is a beautiful, thoughtful, and wonderful book.  I suspect I may find myself thinking about it every day for the rest of my life."

Post edited by brianlux on

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    Into the wild

That is not an accurate summary of the McCandless story.  He was pretty well prepared and he was living quite successfully until he got sick, most likely from a fungal infection.

Yes, his story has inspired idiots to exercise their idiocy, but a cursory glance at the SAR records of any major National Park will show that idiots love to exercise their idiocy at every opportunity.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    We barter when we can, my wife traded an emergency foreign body removal for a steering cable replacement for our boat yesterday lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    brianlux said:
    What a concept!  If I were younger and not happily attached, I would definitely consider trying this.  My wife read the book, The Man Who Quit Money by Mark Sundeen which she passed on to me.  It tells the story of Daniel Suelo who left his life savings of $30 in a phone booth in 2000 and has live without money since.  It's an amazing story.  There are others who have and are doing the same.  Here are some of those people:
    Daniel Suelo:

Mark Boyle, also know as "The Moneyless Man", Irish activist and founder of Freeconomy Community, has lived without money since 2008:

I would donate the Irish guy a Pearl jam shirt.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    brianlux said:
    Daniel Suelo:

I would donate the Irish guy a Pearl jam shirt.
    :rofl:

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    brianlux said:
    Daniel Suelo:

living like this as a PJ fan is impossible
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:
    Daniel Suelo:

living like this as a PJ fan is impossible
    Impossible?  How do you know neither of these guys is not a Pearl Jam fan? 

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited August 2019
    They may like Pearl Jam, but to love Pearl Jam takes money. 

I kid,I kid 

Yes to be young again. That lifestyle seems like a lot of work. And I’m to old and tired to even try. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    They may like Pearl Jam, but to love Pearl Jam takes money. 

I kid,I kid 

Yes to be young again. That lifestyle seems like a lot of work. And I’m to old and tired to even try. 
    I hear you!  I too old for a lot of things which is probably why I enjoy more than ever movies and books about things I can no longer do or even consider doing- living in the wild, mountaineering, playing guitar in a band in front of thousands of adoring fans (haha, like I could ever do that!)

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I'd go off grid if I could. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    But wonder how much his royalties are for this book.
    I'd go off grid if I could. 
    Me too!

edited August 2019
    mace1229 said:
    But wonder how much his royalties are for this book.
    "Penguin approached Suelo about writing an autobiography, but he said that he would not accept payment for telling his story and he would be interested to do so only if the book was given away for free. Penguin was not interested in this approach, but asked a friend of his, Mark Sundeen, about writing a biography. Sundeen wrote The Man Who Quit Money, which was published by Riverhead/Penguin in 2012, and Suelo did not accept any money from his book but requested that the publishers give away a number of copies to people for free, which they did at promotional book tours."

Its made me think more. Which is good. I do give away most things. And i think i will more.  I don't  need any of these things i have. And as i lose my memories  whats the point of all this shit we carry around.  It has no purpose. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Its made me think more. Which is good. I do give away most things. And i think i will more.  I don't  need any of these things i have. And as i lose my memories  whats the point of all this shit we carry around.  It has no purpose. 
    I've been feeling the same way.  I went from losing almost everything I had and having to live in my vehicle for 2 or 3 years not out of choice to finding my way back into better mental and physical health, working hard, saving money and now having a house and a bunch of stuff.  I didn't like living in near poverty, but in some ways it had advantages.  Most of my stuff now is books and records but I find that the ability to amass those things does not make me happier.  I've been sloughing off stuff for the last year or two and will continue to do so.  I love  doing that.

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    What about the good stuff that money brings, like safety, education, piece of mind. Money for the sake of stuff. Yea that’s a tough one. In one hand, it’s nice to be able to reward yourself with let’s just say a vault release for working hard all the time. But in the other hand, the necessity to have all the latest and greatest gadgets does seem a bit empty. I think a lot has to do with how you get the money. If it’s earned from hard work (as long as you are not neglecting family, mental and physical health) I see it as a good thing. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    Although I find the music a bit distracting, here's a video that nicely summarizes Suelo's philosophy.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    brianlux said:
    Daniel Suelo:

Glasses cost something.  That necklace costs something.  His clothes cost something.

Where does he live?  If he has property there is always a "property tax" unless he is squatting somewhere?

You could choose to live like this as long as you don't have other people that rely on you.  A wife or kids?  Doing that with them would be a selfish act.

I like the idea of living off grid but no money?  No thank you.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Into the wild

That's because many people don't read carefully.  If they did, they would not go ou into the wild unprepared.  Krakauer knows these things.  He makes it clear.   Some people just don't think critically or plan well.  That's not Krakauer's fault.   As for the romance of living off the land, that is also not Krakauer's invention.  What is made of his book is not his doing.
    You can only gain so much from a book. When it come to living off he land one should probably start off by doing a couple of overnighters while increasing the length until they feel they could survive while being out of touch.  A book can teach you to hunt but it will not harvest your prey for you...you still must do that.
    Give Peas A Chance…