Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Neil Young isn't as interesting in long songs as he thinks he is.
    Really?

Down by the River, Ramada Inn, Last Trip to Tulsa, Ambulance Blues, Change Your Mind, Love and Only Love, Love to Burn, Cowgirl in the Sand, Like a Hurricane, Cortez the Killer, Walk Like a Giant, Ordinary People, Crime in the City... the list goes on.

Yes, there are some that aren’t as good as these, but I think Neil definitely has more good long songs than bad ones.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Really?

Down by the River, Ramada Inn, Last Trip to Tulsa, Ambulance Blues, Change Your Mind, Love and Only Love, Love to Burn, Cowgirl in the Sand, Like a Hurricane, Cortez the Killer, Walk Like a Giant, Ordinary People, Crime in the City... the list goes on.

Yes, there are some that aren’t as good as these, but I think Neil definitely has more good long songs than bad ones.
    True. I had psychadelic pill too much on my mind.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    goldrush said:
    Edved82 said:
    Eh, maybe Le Noise is a classic too. 

Le Noise is great, never heard anything else quite like it. 

Thought Psychedelic Pill was a great album, and I also really enjoyed Peace Trail. it's strangely quirky and Jim Keltner does a fantastic job on drums as always.
    I love Le Noise. I agree that it may be his last real classic album, but there’s a lot Psychedelic Pill to love too. Ramada Inn is one of my favourite songs from the last decade
    I wish I'd picked up Le Noise when in was new at $25 U.S. instead of 8 million dollars or whatever it goes for used!  At the time, I thought it was too much for one album.  Little did I know!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited August 2019
    goldrush said:
    Really?

True. I had psychadelic pill too much on my mind.
    Yeah, Driftin’ Back and HorseBack do tip the scales a little too far!
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    Edved82 said:
    Eh, maybe Le Noise is a classic too. 

Le Noise is great, never heard anything else quite like it. 

Thought Psychedelic Pill was a great album, and I also really enjoyed Peace Trail. it's strangely quirky and Jim Keltner does a fantastic job on drums as always.
    I love Le Noise. I agree that it may be his last real classic album, but there’s a lot Psychedelic Pill to love too. Ramada Inn is one of my favourite songs from the last decade
    I wish I'd picked up Le Noise when in was new at $25 U.S. instead of 8 million dollars or whatever it goes for used!  At the time, I thought it was too much for one album.  Little did I know!
    I wished I would pick up Paradox for 19 dollars.... I don't think it would be a Le Noise situation with that one, but I do find it rather soothing.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Hey, camel camel camel just emailed me this morning that Paradox dropped to $21. 

Part of of me wants to jump on that. The other part of me tells me to wait to see if it goes lower.
  • Hey, camel camel camel just emailed me this morning that Paradox dropped to $21. 

Part of of me wants to jump on that. The other part of me tells me to wait to see if it goes lower.
    I've listened to the soundtrack on Spotify and I dig having it on. But I hated the movie...

I JUMP ON IT IF YOU DO!

Don't want to be in another situation where my nrother has a Dreamin' Man vinyl bough for 20 dollars and I have no one. And now it costs used one million dollars.

My other brother has a ragged glory vinyl he bough for 7 dollars.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    good point. waiting for $2 cheaper is nothing compared to having to buy it for $20 more.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    My dad turned 65 and as a last minute-gift I wrapped my unopened Live at Tuscaloosa record.

So there it was sitting wrapped while we were all eating cake. And my dad turns to me and says "So I listened to that new live album with Neil, and... he doesn't sound good at all. I think it's really bad. I'm happy I listened to it on Spotify and didn't buy it"

Haha.

Anyways. 

I bought:
    Paradox $19.5
    Earth 23$
    Piece trail $20.5 (not a fan of it, but what the hell...)
    And a new Tuscaloosa for myself.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    Great deal on Buffalo Springfield complete albums collection on Amazon.ca today: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CPMDPPS
    Regular $108, on sale for $20.99.

• Hawk123 said:
    Great deal on Buffalo Springfield complete albums collection on Amazon.ca today: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CPMDPPS

Only if you have prime? Is Prime and having an Prime video account the same thing?
    Hawk123 said:

Only if you have prime? Is Prime and having an Prime video account the same thing?
    Not sure actually, just sign up for the 30 day trial and then cancel. Some other good vinyl deals today only. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    Hawk123 said:
    Hawk123 said:

Not sure actually, just sign up for the 30 day trial and then cancel. Some other good vinyl deals today only. 
    haha. was no trial offered. Got a prime membershiop for teh CA site fioor 8 bucks. THEN THEY REFUSED TI SHIP IT INTERNATIONALLY ANYWAYS

HAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAAHAAJJAAA

fuck
    Hawk123 said:
    Hawk123 said:

haha. was no trial offered. Got a prime membershiop for teh CA site fioor 8 bucks. THEN THEY REFUSED TI SHIP IT INTERNATIONALLY ANYWAYS

HAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAAHAAJJAAA

fuck
    Damn, that sucks. There are some great vinyl deals today. Got this one for $30 https://www.amazon.ca/Kinks-Village-Preservation-Society-Boxset/dp/B07GJ397BS/

Screw amazon.  Please support your independent record dealer.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

New NY & POTR FarmAid warm up show announced!

(Tim Rogers)
  • I'm really feeling Ambulance Blues...particularly the part about pissing in the wind!
  • What did A Treasure cost when it was first released? The vinyl and/or the bluray thing?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    What did A Treasure cost when it was first released? The vinyl and/or the bluray thing?
    Not sure the cost when it first came out, I managed to get a sealed LP from a store in Chicago a few months back for around $40 USD.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    brianlux said:
    Amazon is amazing. My local record stores have horrible selections and one of them charges twice the price for used that I can get for new on Amazon. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    Amazon is amazing. My local record stores have horrible selections and one of them charges twice the price for used that I can get for new on Amazon. 
    Sucks that you don't have a good record shop.  Do what you must.

I like independent record stores for a number of reasons. I have found some amazing records while browsing record stores that I might not have run across otherwise.  I've met some really cool real live in-person people while record shopping and have had great conversations about music in shops.  I like supporting independent merchants.  I do buy an occasional record on-line that is hard to find in a shop but I will never spend a dime on Amazon because it's owners have made it their mission to close down or absorb all independent dealers.  I cannot abide by that.

That's how I see it but it's not for me to tell other people what to do.  I'm sorry if it sounded like that was what I was doing.  It's just how I feel and how I do things myself.

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    didn’t feel like you were telling people what to do at all. Just saying for some Amazon is a great place to score some vinyl at decent prices. But yes. If your lucky to have a great local record store, spend your money there and spread the word. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    What did A Treasure cost when it was first released? The vinyl and/or the bluray thing?
    Not sure the cost when it first came out, I managed to get a sealed LP from a store in Chicago a few months back for around $40 USD.
    The vinyl version of 'A Treasure' was $49.98 from Neil's web store when it first came out.  

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    The vinyl version of 'A Treasure' was $49.98 from Neil's web store when it first came out.  
    Bluenotes cafe the same?
    goldrush said:
    Bluenotes cafe the same?
    There was a box set version of the Bluenote Cafe vinyl that was $88 in Neil’s store. The standard 4LP set is $60 now.
    I can’t remember what the difference was, if any.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Hmm.... feel kind of stupid to have the Fillmore East show on vinyl and one of the acoustic earlier ones... But not the 80s ones with the unique bands and unique setlists.

Maybe I should try to fool my dad into selling me his Blue note cafe-record.

Any chance there will be reissues of his archive live albums?
    Hmm.... feel kind of stupid to have the Fillmore East show on vinyl and one of the acoustic earlier ones... But not the 80s ones with the unique bands and unique setlists.

Maybe I should try to fool my dad into selling me his Blue note cafe-record.

Any chance there will be reissues of his archive live albums?
    There hasn't been any mention of them being rereleased. I guess having everything available in hi-def on the Archives site - and working on all of the other releases they have lined up - could mean it won't happen 

(Tim Rogers)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I like how they did the tix for the Indy show.  The pre-sale is still open to fan club members only....looks like about 70% of tix have been sold.
    Venue seats 2500.  Should be a hell of a show.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • So the re-release of the Dead Man Soundtrack on his site is not part of the NYA series? 

His fucking Archive-project is more confusing and contains more paradoxes than the Terminator movie timeline!

Fucking shit.

i wished I had been a tad more interested when he started this and just decided that like Pearl Jam I will at least buy all the live releases (with me already owning some of the studio releases on vinyl).

But I guess being picky and just pick up the ones I really want... works too... but that made me diss Dreamin' Man because it was a compilation. Bla bla.

Grr.
  • Documents Reveal Monsanto Surveilled Journalists, Activists & Even Musician Neil Young

"They (monsanto) even analyzed the lyrics of his album"

HAHA

https://youtu.be/-oMrENOn2HE