The Wire

I've started watching this show on Amazon Prime, and I'm just beginning season 3. I can't believe I missed this when it was running on HBO a decade ago. Completely amazing in every regard . . . The writing, the acting, the directing are all stellar.

I've been thinking a lot about the recent Oscars controversy while watching, and I finally get it. Doing some background research, I learned that this show never won a single Emmy, and if I remember correctly, there were only two nominations over five seasons.

Fast forward a few years after The Wire is canceled, and two other cable series about (completely unbelievable) suburban white drug dealers sweep the awards year after year. There is no way either Weeds or Breaking Bad came close to this caliber of work, and yes, those shows were great, but this show is for real on a whole other level. I can only think it was ignored at the awards because the cast is primarily black, and it's a story about black crime in Baltimore. Ten years ago, nobody gave a shit about black people in Baltimore. I wonder if the show came out now, what would people do? I don't even think it could be made now.

It really bothers me that the talent on this program was not recognized in its day. And I'm now way more sympathetic to Halle Berry and the boycotting of the Oscars. I see the problem as plain as day here. I honestly didn't even know any of these actors existed until I started watching the Wire, and now I just want to watch everything they're in. There definitely needs to be more opportunities for these outstanding actors.

I'm curious to hear from people who are/were fans of the show. What do you think of it now in light of current events?

.... And I didn't revive any of the older threads because of the spoilers in there ... No spoilers!!

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I have heard so many good things about the Wire and it's among those shows (including BB) I've yet to watch. And I will! At some point.

Baltimore mentioned, and I thought of Homicide: Life on the Street. Based there. Awards given to Braugher (though honestly, I don't place much stock in those as a whole; strikes me as such odd pomp and circumstance and overall a weird circle jerk - for me, it's more about what hits me, as did that series).
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the wire is an excellent show. as was homicide. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited March 2016
    The best show ever made....period.

Bodie and Omar are my two favorite characters in anything, period.

Breaking bad is all kinds of awesome but it can't touch the wire

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I've watched it all the way through multiple times. I typically don't follow the normal hoopla and awards aspect of a show. I like what I like and never put a lot of stock in that stuff, as art is subjective.

That being said, I can see what you are talking about now that I think about it. It was overshadowed by The Sopranos. I liked both, but The Wire might be my favorite show ever created. The nuanced acting and scenes that were carried with unspoken communication between characters was, in my opinion, unmatched. I don't know if, or to what extent race played in the hype of one vs the other. I will leave that to people with a better understanding of such things, but I think you might be on to something.
    Nobody and I mean nobody watched the wire live for at least the first 3 seasons. I had one friend in college who was obsessed and at the time I thought it was because he thought he was ghetto
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    One of the best shows!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415

One of the best shows!!

+1
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Does Amazon Prime have very season? Thought I only saw one season last I checked.

Great show
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I didn't have access to HBO when it was airing. There are a few shows on my list to catch up on and this is one of them.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for all your thoughts.

Yes, Prime has all 5 seasons. I had to search for 2-5 once I got through 1, but they're all in my watch list now.

I understand that some people don't place much stock in award shows in determining what we should like. I feel, though, that unlike the music award programs, that the film and television industry do still take the task seriously and do attempt to discern real talent. I didn't consider that the Sopranos was the competition, but I think it even further illustrates my point. White crime boss . . . Tons of nominations and wins. Black crime boss ... uh, who are you? I mean, Idris Elba . . . How can he not be recognized at the same level as what's his name who is now dead? Look at Elba in Luther (a BBC series in Netflix) or as Nelson Mandela. He's a phenomenal actor.

To me, it's not just about the win. There can only be one winner, and that's tough. That's where it comes down to me just liking what I like. The fact that there were practically NO NOMINATIONS just blows my head open.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I'm resurrecting this since The Deuce premiered this week, and critics are saying it's better than The Wire.

Diversity: We watched Homicide religiously when it aired on NBC; it was so much better than the much more highly publicized NYPD Blue. The camerawork, the music, the writing, the acting, all were stellar. Andre Braugher gave a blistering performance every week, and for years he was ignored by the Emmys. At that time, there were some complaints about the utter absence of programming featuring diverse casts or interesting characters who were people of color. I thought to myself, have none of these people seen Homicide? The show featured a diverse cast, included the first openly bisexual character I can remember, and did not shy away from confronting racism (or homophobia). But, somehow, that all got overlooked.

I did not watch The Wire when it first aired on HBO. The show demands so much of its audience, and I was overwhelmed with parenting-induced exhaustion. But my husband was a fan, and I ended up buying him the box set -- and then I watched the whole thing myself, four times, on the treadmill during harsh northeastern weather.

I've seen The Wire described as "Shakespearean," and I have to admit that it has much in common with great literature. There is symbolism, there is allegory, there are seemingly insignificant but important details, there is much showing and little telling. The attentive viewer is rewarded. Watching it, you get the feeling that all five seasons were mapped out to the last detail before any filming began.

One of my favorite novels is The Brothers Karamazov. In addition to, as I say, tearing my brain wide open, the novel creates an entire universe that is so real that it exists beyond the confines of the pages of the book. The storytelling ends, but as the reader, you are left with a certainty that the characters in the book have continued on with their lives after you turn the last page and set the book aside. For me, The Wire creates that same kind of world. It was so real that whenever Michael B Jordan pops up in the news, I am both surprised and relieved to see that he is alive and well. 

Anyway -- did anyone besides me watch The Deuce? I thought the first episode was great -- no explosions, no car chases, plenty of attention to detail, laying the groundwork for future episodes.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    I have not watched the deuce.

the wire is the best. Had a season one marathon the other week. best season of tv ever 
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Holy commas Batman! I will blame the weed for that mess up there. The Wire still holds up. For me it is odd to watch in widescreen after multiple viewings of the old format.
    I have not watched the deuce.

the wire is the best. Had a season one marathon the other week. best season of tv ever 
    The scene when they are trying to move the desk still cracks me up every time.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I'm resurrecting this since The Deuce premiered this week, and critics are saying it's better than The Wire.

Diversity: We watched Homicide religiously when it aired on NBC; it was so much better than the much more highly publicized NYPD Blue. The camerawork, the music, the writing, the acting, all were stellar. Andre Braugher gave a blistering performance every week, and for years he was ignored by the Emmys. At that time, there were some complaints about the utter absence of programming featuring diverse casts or interesting characters who were people of color. I thought to myself, have none of these people seen Homicide? The show featured a diverse cast, included the first openly bisexual character I can remember, and did not shy away from confronting racism (or homophobia). But, somehow, that all got overlooked.

I did not watch The Wire when it first aired on HBO. The show demands so much of its audience, and I was overwhelmed with parenting-induced exhaustion. But my husband was a fan, and I ended up buying him the box set -- and then I watched the whole thing myself, four times, on the treadmill during harsh northeastern weather.

I've seen The Wire described as "Shakespearean," and I have to admit that it has much in common with great literature. There is symbolism, there is allegory, there are seemingly insignificant but important details, there is much showing and little telling. The attentive viewer is rewarded. Watching it, you get the feeling that all five seasons were mapped out to the last detail before any filming began.

One of my favorite novels is The Brothers Karamazov. In addition to, as I say, tearing my brain wide open, the novel creates an entire universe that is so real that it exists beyond the confines of the pages of the book. The storytelling ends, but as the reader, you are left with a certainty that the characters in the book have continued on with their lives after you turn the last page and set the book aside. For me, The Wire creates that same kind of world. It was so real that whenever Michael B Jordan pops up in the news, I am both surprised and relieved to see that he is alive and well. 

Anyway -- did anyone besides me watch The Deuce? I thought the first episode was great -- no explosions, no car chases, plenty of attention to detail, laying the groundwork for future episodes.

Omar is amazing.

The Deuce...watched the first episode last night.
    Some parts were really tough to watch.  Interested to see where it takes us as viewers but if it is not somewhere significant I think I will pass on watching the subject matter on display in this show.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589

Omar is amazing.

The Deuce...watched the first episode last night.
    Some parts were really tough to watch.  Interested to see where it takes us as viewers but if it is not somewhere significant I think I will pass on watching the subject matter on display in this show.
    Still have yet to watch beyond the 2nd episode of The Deuce.  It is on the DVR...

The Wire?  Back to binge watching -- on the 3rd season now and will continue until done.
    Omar really is the fucking best.  The unapologetic look at being who he is?  Fascinating.
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    edited August 2019
    Just started the series for the first time, on season 2 . Every character is perfect at who they are 🤗
    Post edited by MissPennyLane on
    edited August 2019
    Just started the series for the season, on season 2 . Every character is perfect at who they are 🤗
    You're so lucky. Take your  time and enjoy the hell out of it. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Such a great show. 
    Just started the series for the season, on season 2 . Every character is perfect at who they are 🤗
    You're so lucky. Take your  time and enjoy the hell out of it. 
    I needed to hear that cuz I've been banging through episodes but i dont want to rush.
    Just started the series for the first time, on season 2 . Every character is perfect at who they are 🤗
    Ziggy...suuuuuuuucks.  Otherwise the best show ever.
    Ziggy...suuuuuuuucks.  Otherwise the best show ever.
    Ugh. He's so annoying!
    I love Bunk and McNulty's relationship. "Fuck you very much"
    I've got a bunch of shows on my list to watch but I always have this burning desire to put them on hold and go through the Wire again
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I met a guy at the airport bar actually when I was flying out for PJ 2014. We still keep in touch and he was a detective with Chicago PD but now works for federal gov. Anyways, he couldn't really tell me what he did for work at the time cuz he was transitioning outta Chicago PD. When I started the wire I was like this has to be what you did. He said that's exactly what I did and everyone he worked with agreed the wire best represented it.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    We couldn't make it through the first season.
    It was not nearly so well written, directed, and acted as it's reputation on here proclaims.
    I can easily imagine it getting better, but it was all cliché and little substance in the first few episodes.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    It was not nearly so well written, directed, and acted as it's reputation on here proclaims.
    I can easily imagine it getting better, but it was all cliché and little substance in the first few episodes.
    And you’ve spent the time in Baltimore to know this more than Simon and burns?
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    rgambs said:
    It has that reputation in a lot more places than just this message board.  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    rgambs said:
    I actually took a few turns to get past S1 as well.  IMO, it gets much better.
    rgambs said:
    And thus, my opinion of you has lessened.
    chinese-happy.jpg