Nirvana. Overrated?

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Waaaay overrated in my opinion. Kurt s suicide is the reason why they are so legendary.  
    Nirvana unplugged > pj unplugged 
    vs > in utero 
    ten = never mind 
    in utero > never mind 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think the music is overrated, nor the talent, but I feel like Kurt Cobain as a person kind of is. That sounds awful I guess, but I really do feel that way. I always found him to be incredibly unlikable and annoying.
    Annoying? The guy was quiet lol
    So? Quiet people can be annoying too. Annoying doesn't mean loud.
    How if they don't talk much? lol
    Quiet people never annoy me. Loud people do.
    K.
    Cobain wasn't annoying to me because of how much or little he talked. He was annoying to me because he was a grown man acting like he belonged on the cover of Teen Angst Magazine.
    .... then What was Eddie?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    mcgruff10 said:
    Waaaay overrated in my opinion. Kurt s suicide is the reason why they are so legendary.  
    Nirvana unplugged > pj unplugged 
    vs > in utero 
    ten = never mind 
    in utero > never mind 
    Ten wouldn't have broken through if not for Nevermind. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Also In Utero was a bigger departure and risk than Vs was. Credit where its due, Nirvana took a massive risk there and while it wasn't as commercially successful as Vs, history and reviewers have been a bit more kind. 

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    MayDay10 said:
    I think if we are comparing them with Zeppelin, The Who, Beatles, Stones, and Floyd, etc.... that is a HUGE overrating of the music and induces laughter.
    I think they definitely belong when discussing importance and influence, but it’s easier to separate once you start comparing entire bodies of work.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited July 2019
    To me, Cobain and Nirvana brought a lot of happiness to a LOT of people.  And to me, happiness is never over-rated.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

goldrush said:
    I see young kids at university wearing Nirvana t-shirts and adopting the grunge look. I'd say they are still influential.
    Ask them What their favorite album is. 

Nirvana let their logo and images of Kurt be sold at e.g H&M. Same with Guns N Roses. 

I would think alot of people just wear it as a cool design without knowing much. 
    Like the thousands of Ramones shirts that you see everywhere. I'd be very surprised if half of the people wearing them knew who the Ramones were.
    Artists on people wearing rock shirts:

https://youtu.be/IFQNVd_Y28k
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    It would be helpful to understand how those of you feel who have made comments about not caring for Cobain as a person.  Can you explain why?  Did you know him or meet him?  If you did not meet or know him, do you believe you can know much about a person from what you see of them on camera or read in the tabloids?  Just curious as to how you come to the conclusion you've drawn.  What specifically do you dislike about him as a person?

You want clarification on why someone might not be a fan of a guy who was doing heroin around his infant daughter?

I don't believe everything I read in the tabloids.  Maybe he did, maybe he shot up in the bathroom or waited until the kid was asleep. 

And what about musicians who smoke pot in the home or swear in front of their kids or drink excessively or have an affair or don't believe in Jesus.  Holy shit!  Now we have to stop liking a whole shit load of artists!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuej22Iy-GU

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/238004/swear-to-me
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think the music is overrated, nor the talent, but I feel like Kurt Cobain as a person kind of is. That sounds awful I guess, but I really do feel that way. I always found him to be incredibly unlikable and annoying.
    K.
    Cobain wasn't annoying to me because of how much or little he talked. He was annoying to me because he was a grown man acting like he belonged on the cover of Teen Angst Magazine.
    Some of Ed’s behavior back then was kind of cringeworthy but we were
    all young and stupid at some point
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Nevermind is an all time classic. You cannot deny that as a power trio they created amazing music and a unique sound. Never saw them. Damn shame Kurt died.
    I don't think they are overrated and I don't think their catalog is large enough to be compared to the all time greats, including PJ.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Time to go back to school

NO RECESS
    :D

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    To me, Cobain and Nirvana brought a lot of happiness to a LOT of people.  And to me, happiness is never over-rated.
    This! And catharsis. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Nirvana=overrated 
    Cobain=overrated

its just simple math. 
    you forgot to carry the one. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    K.
    What if he wasn't acting? Maybe he was really depressed?
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Nirvana=overrated 
    Cobain=overrated

its just simple math. 
    you forgot to carry the one. 
    Damn. My bad. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Some (mostly rhetorical) questions:

What is meant by music that is "over rated"?
    Does anybody have the final word on that, and if so, who?
    If it's critics who say so, which ones do you trust?
    If it's the public who decides, do you really trust the public's taste... or your own? (! on that one)

I think it's all about opinion.  They help shake up the scene.  The songs are great.  The only problem with the band, really , was most of the fucking press (especially the main stream crap).  I think so anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I think it's an echo chamber in here. Of course many PJ fans will say Nirvana are overrated. 
    Go on a Nirvana fan page and you'll see the opposite.
    Their songs do not hold up nearly as well as PJ's song do from back then. It's interesting to listen to classic rock stations that now play 90's music. Much more Pearl Jam than Nirvana....and not because they play a lot of Yield and No Code. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    DewieCox said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I think if we are comparing them with Zeppelin, The Who, Beatles, Stones, and Floyd, etc.... that is a HUGE overrating of the music and induces laughter.
    I think they definitely belong when discussing importance and influence, but it’s easier to separate once you start comparing entire bodies of work.
    The influence is/has dried up though.  They were a flashpoint of a musical revolution that lasted about 10 years... which was great, awesome, and I love Nirvana.  But from then to now, I don't hear Nirvana in anything that comes out.   So then, you have the body of work/catalog, which in many people's opinions, has not aged great.  Especially when held up to those listed bands and even some contemporaries such as PJ, Soundgarden, AIC, STP, etc.  That "angst" thing played well when we were 15-25 and pissed off.  But now, as 40-45 year olds who host dinner parties.... it doesnt quite reverberate.   I'm not sure that many kids are getting into Nirvana's music as a counterculture.  

*and no, Im not basing this as a PJ vs Nirvana argument.  I dont care about that. I like both
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    I was so happy when they released "you know your right".  I'm still hoping that there is more unpublished music out there.

Hearing something new from them was great after all those years.  Kurt had a voice that I loved.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I think the issue with Nirvana nowadays is there's (likely) nothing left in the vault, no touring (obviously), no recent concert reissues...

To keep the legacy alive, you gotta provide something/anything to attract attention.
    MayDay10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    MayDay10 said:
    The influence is/has dried up though.  They were a flashpoint of a musical revolution that lasted about 10 years... which was great, awesome, and I love Nirvana.  But from then to now, I don't hear Nirvana in anything that comes out.   So then, you have the body of work/catalog, which in many people's opinions, has not aged great.  Especially when held up to those listed bands and even some contemporaries such as PJ, Soundgarden, AIC, STP, etc.  That "angst" thing played well when we were 15-25 and pissed off.  But now, as 40-45 year olds who host dinner parties.... it doesnt quite reverberate.   I'm not sure that many kids are getting into Nirvana's music as a counterculture.  

*and no, Im not basing this as a PJ vs Nirvana argument.  I dont care about that. I like both
    Who wants fucking dinner music? PJ delved isn’t some political things but angst was the central theme to those bands you mentioned, except for STP, which were mostly just leaning heavy on poeticism. Flashpoint for any musical revolution is going to be short lived. The fact that they achieved that means their influence is more like to translate to following generations. Even a majorly influential act’s direct effect will die off in a couple generations any most.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    All I know is they were HUGE at the time (1991-1993) and I loved them back then, as I did PJ, Soundgarden, and AIC.
    They do indeed get more hype due to the suicide (sadly, on so many levels) but their albums (Nevermind and In Utero, anyway) hold a very special place in my heart.
    I was so happy when they released "you know your right".  I'm still hoping that there is more unpublished music out there.

Hearing something new from them was great after all those years.  Kurt had a voice that I loved.
    Oh yeah. Me too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Yep. That was crazy magic. And the music video. 

It was surreal, and I thought "what else will come out?" Then it pretty much stopped at that song.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    K.
    Not that, at all. Eddie was way more outgoing and up front and not all whiny and sullen.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    K.
    Not that, at all. Eddie was way more outgoing and up front and not all whiny and sullen.
    Psyche?
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    You know your right is a great song. I will say that. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.