Your favorite Horror films

Comments

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Two new Halloween movies coming in 2020 and 2021
    Too bad the first one was kind of dull. And H20 did it all much better. Except for maybe that long one-shot
    Agreed! I watched it yesterday, it was OK.

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I watched Hereditary last night

:o 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    MayDay10 said:

Worth watching?

2-3 of my friends who enjoy horror said they were disappointed in the directors follow up Midsommar.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    MayDay10 said:

Worth watching?

2-3 of my friends who enjoy horror said they were disappointed in the directors follow up Midsommar.
    Hereditary was better when it was called Rosemary's Baby. Having said that, Toni Colette is far superior to Mia Farrow.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    MayDay10 said:

Worth watching?

Yes, it is worth watching and currently free on Amazon Prime.  

It was a bit lengthy (2 hours) with a lot of slow 'psychological' parts.  

However, it was a truly original movie, no formula we have seen 1000 times.  It was pretty unsettling.  Today I find myself thinking about it and I am intrigued enough to read a few online explanations and plot summaries.  Zero reliance on jump scares.  It isn't the most 'entertaining' movie.... but it is really well constructed.  
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Worth watching?

However, it was a truly original movie, no formula we have seen 1000 times.  It was pretty unsettling.  Today I find myself thinking about it and I am intrigued enough to read a few online explanations and plot summaries.  Zero reliance on jump scares.  It isn't the most 'entertaining' movie.... but it is really well constructed.  
    What did you think of IT FOLLOWS? Speaking of original movies?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Worth watching?

Havent seen it.  ill check it out
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Worth watching?

Havent seen it.  ill check it out
    Do it. My favorite horror movie in recent years.

Gonna watch MAMA now. Bet there will be too much CGI
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited July 2019
    Hereditary was one of the best films released last year. And yes, Collette should have been nominated for awards. Superior to It Follows, which was ok to me.
    Definitely  want to see Midsommar.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I couldn’t even stay focused on THE NUN. 

Just a bunch of nuns and some worn down church
    Was awful. Wan needs to get ahold of The Conjuring universe because its deteriorating despite being a cash cow. Outside of both Conjuring movies the only other movie in that universe that I liked was Annabelle 2 surprisingly.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    edited July 2019
    I watched It Follows last night.  I liked it.  Good and original.  Didnt have jump scares but at times had the suspense for one.  Good use of sound and instrumental atmosphere.  

*some spoiling

I do think the story ran out of gas and the last 20 minutes or so were disappointing. I felt like the premise had a lot more potential in the "sandbox" the plot created.  Attempts to try to avoid "it", public meltdowns in front of others, attempts to pass "it" up a chain and subsequent destruction of the chain, etc.  

I also thought the movie was 10x more intense going by the original warning of "dont let it touch you".  Once we see that this thing starts off by pulling hair and you can engage it in battle, friends can hit it with chairs, struggle away from, shoot it with guns, etc, the threat was diminished greatly.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 said:
    I watched It Follows last night.  I liked it.  Good and original.  Didnt have jump scares but at times had the suspense for one.  Good use of sound and instrumental atmosphere.  

*some spoiling

I do think the story ran out of gas and the last 20 minutes or so were disappointing. I felt like the premise had a lot more potential in the "sandbox" the plot created.  Attempts to try to avoid "it", public meltdowns in front of others, attempts to pass "it" up a chain and subsequent destruction of the chain, etc.  

I also thought the movie was 10x more intense going by the original warning of "dont let it touch you".  Once we see that this thing starts off by pulling hair and you can engage it in battle, friends can hit it with chairs, struggle away from, shoot it with guns, etc, the threat was diminished greatly.
    I need to re-visit It Follows - I have only seen it once but felt it was a breath of fresh air and that one-shot start (like Halloween) hooked me. 

But I have problems remember the end of it, they were in a swimming pool for some reason...

And I didn't like that they made it be so linked to a STD. Like not a clever metaphor for STD but an actual STD... I didn't see the point of that at all. Cheapened the idea. Like midichlorians in Star Wars. 

But the basic premise of something unstoppable coming after you and it doesn't look different from any other person is scary - just like T-1000. And it was executed really well.
    MayDay10 said:

*some spoiling

I need to re-visit It Follows - I have only seen it once but felt it was a breath of fresh air and that one-shot start (like Halloween) hooked me. 

But I have problems remember the end of it, they were in a swimming pool for some reason...

And I didn't like that they made it be so linked to a STD. Like not a clever metaphor for STD but an actual STD... I didn't see the point of that at all. Cheapened the idea. Like midichlorians in Star Wars. 

But the basic premise of something unstoppable coming after you and it doesn't look different from any other person is scary - just like T-1000. And it was executed really well.
    I agree with the last part.  I liked the movie, as i said, but feel like it failed to reach a potential.  The movie was well done, simple, and good atmosphere.

The most tense shot was when they were at the beach and the viewer sees "it" approaching from behind the girl, unbeknownst to the girl. 

Then all that happens is it pulls her hair and her friend hits it with a chair and they run away.  It stole a lot of the tension away when we thought that a touch meant the victim would be twisted into a pretzel like the 1st scene.  Now we see it is possible to engage this thing in some sort of combat.

Much of the movie was just evasion by this group of friends hunkering down.  The sister and that girl with glasses were completely pointless.  The dorky guy getting all jealous of the cool guy throughout the movie was a bit of a waste too.

They should have had more attempts at evasion.  In the water, on an island, in a building, in an airplane, etc.  Also could have played up the "false positive" type of thing in public where she thinks some people are "it" and is going mental.  Have the cool guy go to an orgy or something after sleeping with the main character and find horrific results.  

Who knows.  Its like they built a real cool configuration of dominoes, but didnt knock them down.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2019
    MayDay10 said:

Worth watching?

I liked it. The acting is super intense.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Watching HAPPY DEATH DAY now. On my birthday and all.

Boring so far.
    edited July 2019

Boring so far.
    It seemed like many people liked this, but I really really did not. It's so unoriginal. At least they have the decency to acknowledge they ripped off the story (you'll see that at the end).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Boring so far.
    It seemed like many people liked this, but I really really did not. It's so unoriginal. At least they have the decency to acknowledge they ripped off the story (you'll see that at the end).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    Will Bill Murray show up? :O

Hehe. Thank you
    PJ_Soul said:

Boring so far.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    Will Bill Murray show up? :O

Hehe. Thank you
    LOL! They didn't quite go that far - I wish.
    Haha. So the dude buys into her re-living the same day and getting killed... man... at least Nancy had to work a bit with Glen.
    edited July 2019
    Interested enough to watch the sequel. And It had a Nice throwback to the Dawsons Creek-era of horror feel. But wasnt really good...

Worse than Urban Legends. I put it on the Valentines Day-tier. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Creepshow!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    edited July 2019
    Crawl. There are some things I would have changed to spruce up the status quo of the terror. But it’s worth a trip to the cinema if you are into alligators. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Put on MAMA. Man this is the ugliest movie I have ever watched.
    Watching The Invitation with not-Tom Hardy.
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    dankind said:

Isn't it usually a bad sign when they show the entire plot in the trailer? That being said.. I still want to see it.
    edited August 2019
    Gonna go watch Scary computer generated stories to tell in the Dark tomorrow. Or I'll catch Booksmart. But I think Ill pick Scary not practical effects to tell in the Dark.

• It wasnt all that good. 
  • Have you seen it @PJ_Soul ?